PDA

View Full Version : k&n filter and other mods for 350 mag

tewfiddy1
03-20-2004, 03:58 PM
Does anyone know if K&N has developed a filter for the 350 mag yet?, everytime I go to their site it has " coming soon" by the 350 mag. And it there any other mods to give it a little more gusto?
Im changing props from a 13 3/4 X21 to a 14 1/2 X 19 because I'm about 200 below my lowest RPM range. I should be 4600 to 5000, but im at 4000 at WOT. Any other suggestion would be appreciated.
Bruce

phebus
03-20-2004, 05:10 PM
I'd talk to a prop shop before dropping to the 19". You might need to drop more if you are 600-800 rpm below what you should be.

ROZ
03-20-2004, 05:42 PM
I hear you can get 4-5mph with thru hull exhaust...

Havasu Hangin'
03-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Have you unhooked the trailer?
4,000 RPMs seems awefully low (45MPH?). Maybe you tach is off?

BowTie Rick
03-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Hate to say it, but the flame arrestor is "coming soon" :D No shit, it has been a real SOB to develop. Besides design, it keeps getting bumped back for car and truck products. I know we will sell tens of thousands of 04 F150 panel filters but damnit, I want my frickin flame arrestor done! No worries. We are on what I believe will be the last and final revision to the molds. Then some local forum members will get fit checked and the nightmare will be over. I expect it available by the end of April just in time for the season. What year is your motor? Is yours the later 3 stud mount or earlier single stud? You will have to pull the engine cover and stock arrestor to see. I have high hopes for this product as the stock arrestor only has 65% volumetric efficiency and that is robbing serious power.

Jungle Boy
03-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I had a stock 375 hp 350 ci Marine Power engine in a boat several years ago. I installed a K&N filter, installed roller rockers and put on better exhaust (Imco Power-flo) and gained almost 200 RPM. Not a whole bunch, but something is better than nothing, if you're not wanting to spend a huge amount of cash.

Dr. Eagle
03-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by BowTie Rick
Hate to say it, but the flame arrestor is "coming soon" :D No shit, it has been a real SOB to develop. Besides design, it keeps getting bumped back for car and truck products. I know we will sell tens of thousands of 04 F150 panel filters but damnit, I want my frickin flame arrestor done! No worries. We are on what I believe will be the last and final revision to the molds. Then some local forum members will get fit checked and the nightmare will be over. I expect it available by the end of April just in time for the season. What year is your motor? Is yours the later 3 stud mount or earlier single stud? You will have to pull the engine cover and stock arrestor to see. I have high hopes for this product as the stock arrestor only has 65% volumetric efficiency and that is robbing serious power.
Whatever.....
I want one..........
:D

tewfiddy1
03-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Sorry the 4000 is a typo, I meant to type 4400 at 63 MPH, I was on cold medicine when I wrote that. I have thru hull exhaust already. The Boat is a 2002 Caravelle Interceptor 232 with the 350 mag. I'll be waiting in April with cash in hand to by the K&N filter. Michigan Wheel told me to buy the 14 1/2 X19 Ballistic prop for the speed days and take the 13 3/4 X 21 and put it up for the ski days. Anyone have this prop and is it a good en.
Thanks
Bruce

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 02:17 PM
I'd concentrate on modifications beyond the air filter. Your really not going to be gaining anything with just an air filter change on a boat:wink:

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I'd concentrate on modifications beyond the air filter. Your really not going to be gaining anything with just an air filter change on a boat:wink:
If he gets 200 - 300 more RPM for under $100, then the filter is a good investment. No promises but on the flow bench it looks very achievable.

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 02:53 PM
300 rpm from an air filter change on a boat? Most boats require at least 100 more horsepower to get that kind of an increase.....
No doubt better airfiltering can't be bad for a boat motor but most stock backfire screen don't have any problems flowing enough air.
IMHO of course! :D

RiverToysJas
03-22-2004, 02:56 PM
I put a K&N on my 496 and picked up 163hp, 175 Torque, and 400 PRM. ***
*** exact numbers varied.
RTJas :D <- 2003 K&N Marine Catalog Cover Boat owner. ;) :D :D

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Was that verified on a Westech Dyno? J/K LOL!
Hey let me borrow that thing or would I also need a NOS bottle?:D :D

Pointerman
03-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by tewfiddy1
Sorry the 4000 is a typo, I meant to type 4400 at 63 MPH, I was on cold medicine when I wrote that. I have thru hull exhaust already. The Boat is a 2002 Caravelle Interceptor 232 with the 350 mag. I'll be waiting in April with cash in hand to by the K&N filter. Michigan Wheel told me to buy the 14 1/2 X19 Ballistic prop for the speed days and take the 13 3/4 X 21 and put it up for the ski days. Anyone have this prop and is it a good en.
Thanks
Bruce
I'd check that advice with someone else. A bigger diameter prop is harder to spin. I would think that increasing the diameter and lowering the pitch might end up being a wash. Also, find a prop shop that will allow you to try before you buy. Some of them will let you rent the prop for the day before making a purchase decision. That way you won't be selling it on ebay Sunday after going boating on Saturday.

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
300 rpm from an air filter change on a boat? Most boats require at least 100 more horsepower to get that kind of an increase.....
No doubt better airfiltering can't be bad for a boat motor but most stock backfire screen don't have any problems flowing enough air.
IMHO of course! :D
You need to see the stock arrestor and you'll believe it. Its a 7" diameter x 3/4" tall that is hidden under a big plastic cover. Off the boat and unobstructed on our flow bench it eeked out a whopping 360 CFM at 1.5" restriction (H2O). The motor requires 460 CFM @4500 RPM. The new K&N will flow 560 CFM which is enough to support the 6.2L which uses the same throttle body. Trust me on this one, it will be a kick ass upgrade. We've been doing this for 35 years.
Ask RiverToysJas, after he installed a K&N, he got a pay raise at work, won the lotto, and had women swarming over him:D
In the filter bidness, the performance gains all depend on how good or how bad the item you are replacing is. Why else would a Jeep Cherokee get a better HP gain than a Vette? Vette was better to begin with and this stock arrestor is a real POS.

Pointerman
03-22-2004, 04:08 PM
You need to see the stock arrestor and you'll believe it. Its a 7" diameter x 3/4" tall that is hidden under a big plastic cover. Off the boat and unobstructed on our flow bench it eeked out a whopping 360 CFM at 1.5" restriction (H2O). The motor requires 460 CFM @4500 RPM. The new K&N will flow 560 CFM which is enough to support the 6.2L which uses the same throttle body. Trust me on this one, it will be a kick ass upgrade. We've been doing this for 35 years.
Ask RiverToysJas, after he installed a K&N, he got a pay raise at work, won the lotto, and had women swarming over him:D
In the filter bidness, the performance gains all depend on how good or how bad the item you are replacing is. Why else would a Jeep Cherokee get a better HP gain than a Vette? Vette was better to begin with and this stock arrestor is a real POS.
Chalk me up as another guy that will be purchasing this when K&N pulls their head out... Brand new 2003 350 MAG MPI and I'm dying to dump the ugly stock flame arrestor.

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Tease...
prototype (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=34316&password=&sort=7&thecat=500)

AquaBoogie
03-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Where do I sign up for the waiting list. Can we purchase it now and have it at our door on release day?

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Versus...
stock (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/showphoto.php?photo=40491)

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 04:20 PM
I have the 496HO and have cleaned the stock spark arrestor intake a few times. All I know is there is a ton of surface area and no noticablly visable restrictions. It looks like it would flow almost as much air as not filter or spark arrestor.
Over the past few years, I have spoken to a few reputable marine service shops that all said it will filter the air better but there is no increase in power output.
I have to say though the K&N filter sure looks better though!

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
On the 496, that is pretty much true. The stock one does a good job so not much gain can be had from the K&N. It does help a bit with transom soot I have heard. If nothing at all, you do have a true filter on their protecting the motor. Dust gets on the boat when on land and their are carpet fibers, hair from babes, insects, etc. and all that goes right through the wire mesh of a stock arrestor.

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 04:43 PM
I'll buy that for sure. There really is no filtering from the stock arrestor. I've found the stuff you've mentioned getting pulled through the spark arrestor mesh....

77charger
03-22-2004, 05:21 PM
If i were to install one on my boat will i pick up 2-300 rpm.I have a 93 350 mag on a 21 ft eliminator.I find it hard to pick up 2-300 but if you show me wrong on my boat i'll buy the filter no gain no buy.What do you think?Motor is all stock

Dr. Eagle
03-22-2004, 05:24 PM
If he gets 200 - 300 more RPM for under $100, then the filter is a good investment. No promises but on the flow bench it looks very achievable.
I'd bet you might get 100 rpm. 2-300 I strongly doubt...:confused:
Oh yeah, did I say I want one???

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
If i were to install one on my boat will i pick up 2-300 rpm.I have a 93 350 mag on a 21 ft eliminator.I find it hard to pick up 2-300 but if you show me wrong on my boat i'll buy the filter no gain no buy.What do you think?Motor is all stock
OK, I need to clarify something. A 200 RPM increase would be on a 2000 - 2004 model motor using the stock set up as shown above. It is not all inclusive for all years of engines. On your 93, what type of fuel system do you have, carb, TBI, or? 93 is most likely carbed and Eliminators have notoriously low engine to hatch heights. I would bet you get no RPM gain on this one but WTF, they look better than stock and protect your engine at the same time. Let's say you had room galore and were using a 7" x 1.5" mesh on a 454 with a 750 CFM carb. Stick on a K&N 14" x 3" and hell yes you'll notice a difference. Its like I said, it all depends on what you are starting with whether or not you get improvemnts and to what extent they may be. I am not BS'ing or trying to sell snake oil. I am being honest and sincere.

BowTie Rick
03-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by AquaBoogie
Where do I sign up for the waiting list. Can we purchase it now and have it at our door on release day?
Where you live at? We may be able to use you for a test fit. You get to keep the goods after we're done :D

RiverToysJas
03-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Amen Brother Rick!!! http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/909er.gif Since installing the K&N filter on my 496 I've lost 14 pounds, and went down 3 dress sizes!!!
RTJas :D

captainauti
03-22-2004, 06:21 PM
hey bowtie rick, where did u get the picture of the chick with the filters?

77charger
03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
OK, I need to clarify something. A 200 RPM increase would be on a 2000 - 2004 model motor using the stock set up as shown above. It is not all inclusive for all years of engines. On your 93, what type of fuel system do you have, carb, TBI, or? 93 is most likely carbed and Eliminators have notoriously low engine to hatch heights. I would bet you get no RPM gain on this one but WTF, they look better than stock and protect your engine at the same time. Let's say you had room galore and were using a 7" x 1.5" mesh on a 454 with a 750 CFM carb. Stick on a K&N 14" x 3" and hell yes you'll notice a difference. Its like I said, it all depends on what you are starting with whether or not you get improvemnts and to what extent they may be. I am not BS'ing or trying to sell snake oil. I am being honest and sincere. Yes you are right there is not much room.But thanks for the honest reply.It is a carb set upand the top of the flame arrestor does have like a 1/4inch clearance.Sounds to me you really know the boat though.

Waldo
03-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Rick, is this 350 mag filter the same one K&N was working on last year??? I remember we were going to do a "test fit" also but I hadn't heard from you in a while so I figured the ball was dropped on the project or something.
Post up here when it's finished - you have a buyer here!

AquaBoogie
03-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Where you live at? We may be able to use you for a test fit. You get to keep the goods after we're done :D
I live in the Los Angeles area. But it would be better if you shipped it to my work address, which is in Chatsworth.
BTW, I have an '03 Laser Vision with the 350 mag mpi.

Pointerman
03-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Rick,
Why are you spending all this time posting on the forum? Get back to work on my 350 filter! :D
I want it as of yesterday!

tewfiddy1
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
So if im running 63-64mph at 4400 rpm (WOT), some days I see 65-66 depends on the water, how much more MPH's will I see with the filter. Im running a 13 3/4 X 21 vengeance SS prop. What would be a good prop to get for about 5000 rpm. Michgan Wheel said 14 1/2 X 19 Ballistic. Anyone have any good Ideas. There is no try before you buy shops around here, so if I want to test I have to buy it.
Bowtie, Hurry I need that filter, My friend with the Baja wants a rematch and he has been toying with his all winter... and I haven't
Thanks all for the good info everyone.
Bruce

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I would venture to guess you will not see a mph improvement with just an air filter. But your oil might be slightly cleaner using the air filter....
Originally posted by tewfiddy1
So if im running 63-64mph at 4400 rpm (WOT), some days I see 65-66 depends on the water, how much more MPH's will I see with the filter. Im running a 13 3/4 X 21 vengeance SS prop. What would be a good prop to get for about 5000 rpm. Michgan Wheel said 14 1/2 X 19 Ballistic. Anyone have any good Ideas. There is no try before you buy shops around here, so if I want to test I have to buy it.
Bowtie, Hurry I need that filter, My friend with the Baja wants a rematch and he has been toying with his all winter... and I haven't
Thanks all for the good info everyone.
Bruce

JAM
03-23-2004, 11:31 PM
To back up Bow Tie, I have a 350 Mag carb in my 21' Hallett. Last summer, I replaced the 3" tall factory arrestor with the 3" tall K&N set up from Eddie Marine. Hatch clearance was an issue too.
Truely, I didn't see, feel ,hear, or taste any difference in performance. Oddly enough, I did note a slight drop in fuel economy, but this might be attributed to other factors. Yes, it does look MUCH cleaner.
P.S. Bow Tie: How much does it cost K&N to make those metal breather hose adapters that sandwich between the filter base and top? Seems like maybe .50 worth of metal, but I got robbed at $7 a piece retail !!!!!! What's up with that?

BowTie Rick
03-24-2004, 09:59 AM
:D :D Funny but true. They are a buy out not actually made here. You know what happens when goods go from one guy to the next. Manufacturer to us. Us to WD. WD to Jobber. Jobber to retail user, hell yes it gets marked up! Its the American way :rolleyes: PS, if your losing gas mileage, you may want to check your spark plugs and make sure you are not too lean w/ the K&N.