PDA

View Full Version : 496 Procharger

airtrapper
08-07-2001, 09:26 PM
Anybody running there new system on a 496 yet? Procharger said it only makes 3 lbs. of boost?
[This message has been edited by airtrapper (edited August 07, 2001).]

Chris@Procharger
08-17-2001, 09:17 AM
We have a 496 installed in our 28' Eliminator American Eagle. It is actually the motor that the system was devloped on. The boat runs great. The system was set at 3psi of boost for one because it takes little boost to make large horsepower gains and two the motor is based on a new platform. The 5psi system is being worked on and should be available once we feel comfortable that the motor is able to withstand the power being made by the Procharger.
Thanks,
[This message has been edited by Chris@Procharger (edited August 17, 2001).]

DainBramaged
09-01-2001, 12:41 PM
Any numbers on HP gains? I have the 496 HO (425 stock HP) and am curious as to the HP output with the Procharger. I am hoping for 550+, but with only 3lbs. boost sounds like it could be less...

FIREMAN
09-09-2001, 02:47 PM
Me too. I've got the 496 HO in my 24 Commander and would like to know for sure what it's gonna do. Thanks, Dusty

SUPERCREWJOHN
09-19-2001, 08:08 AM
I saw the article in HB with the 350 Mag's producing over 500HP. I am curious to know what ProCharger expects from the 496 HO & 496 MAG. Also, Do you recommend upgrading the drive in the case assuming that you have a Bravo 1 or should we just use a complete aftermarket setup like the IMCO?

ponponracing
09-19-2001, 06:34 PM
Remember my friends, you have power numbers but you have no mention of reliability. A dyno pull last a few seconds and whatever the result, nothing there last long enough to tell you what will happen in your boat when you will be racing someone.
I'm sorry, I'm still playing troublemaker.

Unchained
09-20-2001, 07:04 PM
Any blower setup like the procharger that blows the pressure into the top of the carb will be very low boost and low performance. Any more than 6 psi of boost will overcome the fuel pressure and no fuel will flow into the floatbowl. Spend your dough on a real blower like one from Littlefield, BDS, Hampton, etc.

James'SS-24
09-30-2001, 02:54 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I just recieved a brochure from Procharger that claims 580 horse from the 496 HO. Right now they have a off season sale on and according to what they sent me on Friday the system lists at 5500 but during the month of October it is 4700. But will the engine live with it???? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif

ponponracing
09-30-2001, 05:54 PM
Why don't you ask them how long your motor is going to last under continuous severe load usage?

schiada96
09-30-2001, 08:46 PM
Let me know if I'm wrong the new 496 is basically a .250 stroke big block gen 6 with symmetrical port heads and the firing order changed. So it is just a big block. Get the fuel curve and the timing right and put a little boost to it and it should live. Don't be scared have fun, boost is your friend.

ponponracing
10-01-2001, 05:23 AM
The 496 doesn't use anymore siamese block.

James'SS-24
10-01-2001, 02:40 PM
OK, the literature says its supposed to live but I don't see how if they are not changing the fuel or timing. They claim that they are not making any changes to the ecu. How long did the 454 and 502's live with a procharger?

ponponracing
10-01-2001, 04:56 PM
As I mentioned before, in a small boat where you can't go hard for a long time, those things work. Everytime I saw someone adding them to their motor in a big boat during a Pokerrun, head gaskets disappear and pistons melt. I don't get any benefit by insisting on those results, I just think it's very disappointing for a boat owner to see what happens with it's investment. But they are very nice unit when you have your motor professionally prepared for boost. And for those who think I'm trying to bring work in my shop, don't worry, I'm located in Eastern Canada, far away from most of you guys.
But if you do as Schiada96 said, I mean just a little boost, it should work. But most guys will rather use as much boost as they can with the system, and that's were problems show up. 3 pounds of boost will drasticly wake up your motor and will probably last good.

James'SS-24
10-01-2001, 05:43 PM
Thanks for your input Ponpon. They say the 496 system only makes about three pound of boost so it might be OK but from what you say and from what I have heard from others I will either repower with a motor built for boost or wait for a whipplecharger. At least they reprogram the ecu!

ponponracing
10-02-2001, 05:27 AM
What I mentioned is not only for Procharger, it's for everything that puts boost in a motor. Of course all marine motor like to be blueprinted since they may be use hard and even WOT for long period of time. Better quality parts should also be used in all cases: heavy duty rods, forged steel crank, forged pistons as a minimum short block assembly. But attention should be put in straightening the block deck and head surface, combustion chambers should be reworked, valve job should be different, valves themselves should be different to be able to stand the extra demand, a better quality head gasket should be used. Ignition timing should be set accordingly to a blower application.

formula93
10-24-2001, 12:50 PM
Unchained : reply to your earlier post about "blow thru superchargers being low performance & any more than 6# boost pushes fuel back so there is no fuel flow".....
I suggest you do a little research !! Procharger warns you & sells as part of their kit a Aeroquip fuel pump & boost referenced regulator that pushes the fuel pressure up pound for pound as boost rises.
As ponponracing said "3# of boost will wake up most motors".... I do not believe we were talking about a 12# boost full drag boat engine here, just a stock 496 !! looking for a little more RELIABLE hp. That's Procharger !
I run a Procharger on a HP454-450hp with 5# boost, Nickerson flow matched Holley 750 and run 75 mph on gps in a 25 Formula (heavy boat!)....never a problem with the blower, engine, belts etc. Excellent starting properties, & you don't need to "inject anything" into a "bird catcher" to get it started. You can keep your Littlefield, BDS, & Hampton blowers!

James'SS-24
10-24-2001, 01:17 PM
Formula 93, How many hours do you have on your setup? Sure would like to have more without the hassle of repowering! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif:

Unchained
10-24-2001, 03:32 PM
Ok Formula, I stand corrected on the fuel pressure thing. What is the maximum boost that they can run with the blow through setup?

formula93
10-25-2001, 08:15 AM
The maximum amount of boost thru any supercharger: positive displacement or centrifugal is dependent upon the size of the "pump". Procharger has, I believe, 3 sizes of chargers, the smallest being the M1. I think the maximum boost thru the M1 unit is 7-9#. The larger units can build more pressure as well as volume.
As fas as maintenance, I put about 60 hours on mine this summer, most of which is or was at 3500-4800 rpm, still no problems. The newest procharger units are also self contained, require NO external oil lines & are supposedly much quieter (the whine?).
My only complaint is not with Procharger, but the marine industry ! The only source for 120 degree thermostats I have found is Procharger itself. I don't really like a 140 degree 'stat in the Oklahoma heat. Good luck y'all with the 496 !!