PDA

View Full Version : Will the Boat Fit question

rposton1
03-21-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm going to get a 21 or 22 foot shockwave and I was wondering if it would fit in my garage which is a 19ft 6in 2 car garage. I was told maybe it would fit if I put it in at an angle? Anyone have any experience with a problem like this......Rob:confused:

Dr. Eagle
03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
It might....
Remember the drive sticks out about 3 feet at the rear (OK a foot and a half in the down position) and the tongue of the trailer the same.
I kind of doubt it... unless you have that folding trailer tongue thingee..

mike37
03-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by rposton1
I'm going to get a 21 or 22 foot shockwave and I was wondering if it would fit in my garage which is a 19ft 6in 2 car garage. I was told maybe it would fit if I put it in at an angle? Anyone have any experience with a problem like this......Rob:confused:
thats a short garage
it my fit on an angle but it will be tight
do you have a frind with a boat that size
try it out in your garage the will tell ya for shur

Outnumbered
03-21-2004, 07:58 PM
I would say no way. A buddy of mine used to put his 18' Sanger jet in a 20x20 garage that way and is just fit. Even with the swing tongue on the 22' I would doubt it.
OL

rposton1
03-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah It isn't very deep and my friend only has a 18 footer I will be very bummed if it dont fit :frown: also it is going to be a jet and I was going to get the fold away tongue ...Rob

redneckgirl
03-21-2004, 08:12 PM
We have a 20' 4" single car garage, that is wider than a normal single, and it barely fit our 17' Glastron at an angle. Our 21' Shockwave Step Skier isn't even close. We were going to add on to the front of the garage but couldn't do it legally, with the setback from the street. So we had to build a carport between the house and the side fence, which probably isn't legal either but is easily removed. It is metal roof sheet between the house and the fence. We got the break away tongue and it is still 24' from bow to back of drive. Good luck, you will love your Shockwave!!!! I know we picked the best boat for our boating style. :D :D :D
RNG

ahhell
03-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Whats behind the wall on the backside? a old neighbor of mine cut a hole under what was the underside of a staircase and put the drive in that...saved him a couple feet:confused:

LASERRAY
03-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Do what I did. Wait till AFTER you buy the boat to find out it DON'T ****IN' FIT!!!:D

rposton1
03-21-2004, 08:31 PM
At an angle it comes to 22 feet 6 in with about 18 in for the jet to tuck into a area where the water heater is, also I hear the 22 footer is a little smaller than the step skier maybe I can get lucky.... :D ...Rob

canuck1
03-21-2004, 08:32 PM
I would suggest getting a chain saw thrown in with with that new ride:wink:

rposton1
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Also have to say this is the freindliest form I've seen thanks for all your help....Rob

Tom Brown
03-21-2004, 08:34 PM
My 16' 4" outboard barely fits into my 24 foot garage. It does go straight in, though. I don't have a folding tongue and I do have some setback but I can't imagine a 21' boat fitting in a 19' garage, angle or no.

rposton1
03-21-2004, 08:35 PM
HaHa! yeah trust me if its close I'm cutting stuff...Rob

Tom Brown
03-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Also have to say this is the freindliest form I've seen thanks for all your help....Rob
Thanks. We're friendly and drama free. :)
Welcome to ***boat.com. :cool:

rposton1
03-21-2004, 08:51 PM
with the fold away tongue trailer is the tip of the bow the furthest part out or is the front of the trailer still sticking out the furthest, sorry for so many question, I also called shockwave yesterday but the gentleman I spoke to wasn't quite sure of the overall length of the 22 footer while on a trailer....Rob

LASERRAY
03-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Thanks. We're friendly and drama free. :)
Nice try Tom!:D

redneckgirl
03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
with the fold away tongue trailer is the tip of the bow the furthest part out or is the front of the trailer still sticking out the furthest, sorry for so many question, I also called shockwave yeasterday but the gentleman I spoke to wasn't quite sure of the overall length of the 22 footer while on a trailer....Rob
On our 21' Step Skier the break away tongue sticks out 9" from the bow, the break away tongue is 23". For the amount of the break away tongue,about $400, is well worth it.
Hope this helps.
RNG

JetBoatRich
03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
My 21' foot jet fits at an angle only:( Three car garage, takes up two spots. Problem we ran into was they make the second door 8' wide, trailer is 8'6'"wide so no way it would fit through the pull through garage anyways. :mad:
Like others say, just open the back and build something around it:rolleyes:

Phat Matt
03-21-2004, 09:11 PM
I fit my 24' in a 3 car garge at an angle. My neighbors still can't beleive I can get it in. It took a few tries but now I've got it down to a science. The only problem is now my driveway looks like a car lot.

CBLavey
03-21-2004, 09:18 PM
With a swing away tongue it may fit. My 21 Lavey- which is actually 22'8" fits into the two car section of a three car garage but I need that extra space just to manuever it into place. You'll definitely take up all of the available space in a two car garage if it does fit...

Trash
03-21-2004, 09:19 PM
I have nearly the exact same issue. Garage is 20 feet deep, 2 car type with single door. Boat itself is 20' 6" (hull only). By the time you add the outdrive (full up/ worse case scenario) and trailer it's just about 27 feet. Beam is 8' 4", and the trailer makes it 8' 6" (which compounds the problem).
I was able to shoe horn the entire package into the garage at an angle and got it to fit. Some things to mention, which others have stated as well; My detachable tounge has to be removed in order for the door to be closed. Max clearance is about 2 inches. I also turn the outdrive full left which helps keep the prop from kicking through the drywall (there are a few battle scars though).
I have to keep it pretty far up for ground clearance.
Both the port and starboard rear corners of the boat are touching the back and side walls when its in the proper position. I'd almost like to get a set of those wheel dollies to pop under the trailer so I could just push it into position once it's up in the garage.
I also have a windshield to garage header near issue. I only have about an inch clearance. First time I thought I was going to have to drop the tounge off the hitch or deflate the trailer tires.:( Luckily didn't have too.:D
Trailer is tandem axle, and the front axles and tires take it in the shorts for the last 3-4 feet as I really have to push the tounge sideways on the last and final clearance and positioning move. My neighbors are in awe I can actually put the pig in place.
I'd post pictures but it ain't pretty.
Bottom line, I think you can do it with your boat, but it will be TIGHT.

roln 20s
03-21-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't think so. We have a 20' Malibu ski boat, and when we stored it in our two car garage, it barely fit, with a swing tongue (platform was off also, but the lenth is exactly 20' without. I don't think that the outdrive will be a problem at an angle since thats a big open space, but the swim steps will. I don't think it will fit unfortunately, but none the less, thats definately a nice boat :D
Roln 20s

HCS
03-21-2004, 10:04 PM
You'll have to cut out the back of your garage and move the wall
back. That's what I did.;)

rposton1
03-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks again everyone, I'll let you all knw how it turns out...Rob

rposton1
03-21-2004, 10:27 PM
One more question hehe for all you that have put your boat in at an angle do you have the tongue in the corner by the garage door if so how do you get it swung past the door...Rob hope thats not to confusing

Trash
03-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Yes, my trailer tounge is near the front side of the garage and garage door, but its removable and not a swing tounge, so I don't have that swing clearance issure (I pull two pins, disconnect the quick disconnet brake line and pull it out). Perhaps you could get them to build the trailer tounge to swing in the direction you need it to.

BGMAN203
03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
**** it. Cut a hole in the garage door. Thats what my pops used to do when his shit didn't fit. Its beter than it sitting outside, or paying rent somewhere.

GlastronGuy
03-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
My 16' 4" outboard barely fits into my 24 foot garage. It does go straight in, though. I don't have a folding tongue and I do have some setback but I can't imagine a 21' boat fitting in a 19' garage, angle or no.
That's a huge outboard. What type of boat is it on?
;)

rposton1
03-22-2004, 07:23 AM
what sticks out further jet or an outboard?...Rob

Desert Rat
03-22-2004, 07:42 AM
I have the Caliber1 step skier and it its pretty much the same hull you have. It is an I/O tho without a fold away tongue. It is 26 ft long with the outdrive up. I had to back it in as well as I could with the angles I had available then use a couple of floor jacks to swing it into the three car garage. It took up almost all of the garage. I got so fed up with it that it was one of the reasons we sold the house and bought a house on an acre and i'm in the process of building a 1000 sq ft garage. :D The floor jacks might help tho
Desert Rat
P.S. see Avatar

rposton1
03-22-2004, 08:01 AM
thanks alot hehe I will pick up a couple good jacks also, Love the avatar :p
Desert rat: It barely fit into a 3 car garage? Dam now i'm bummed:frown:

lovemyultra
03-22-2004, 08:02 PM
I have a 21 foot Ultra no swing tongue ,an IO and it fits in a standard garage it is tight but it fits and I can get around to everything in the garage

RiverToysJas
03-22-2004, 08:10 PM
All I did to know if mine would fit was chart out my garage, to scale (including doors, etc), on graph paper. Then I cut out the boat, to scale, on graph paper. Now you can position it anyway you want, and since everything is to scale, you know how much you hang out and how much you'll have to walk around.
RTJas :D

plumb crazy
03-22-2004, 09:24 PM
i put my 29 foot magic in a 2 car garage i just floor it and ram it in.

jbone
04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Robert,
Do what I do when something doesn't fit. Spit on it and push real hard. OOPS can I say that here?
Good luck,
J

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I say cut the back of the garage out and build a sophet(sp ck) so just the tail end of the boat sits in it. :D but what do I know I'm just a dumb plumber. LOL!! :D