PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on alternators

hd&boatrider
03-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I will be running 4 Odessey batteries with my new stereo and 1 battery for the boat. I am concerned about having to upgrade the alternator. Usually what I do is play the music hard all day and turn the perko to all when driving to recharge. If I pull the boat out for the night I charge the batteries with a 10 AMP charger. The potential problem is when I leave the boat in a slip for a few days and there is no external power source available. I really don't understand it fully about the alternator upgrade. If I shut the battery switch to off overnight when charging is not available does that solve my problem?
Alright, who wants to teach me alternator/batteries 101? Any input would be appreciated.

PerfectionDtail
03-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Contact Froggy. He is the man with this stuff and he has helped me out with my set up. You can throw a wire from the alternator to the batteries and it can only help but it will take a long ride to get any kind of charge out of them.
From what I was quoted, a 120-150 amp marine alternator is almost $1000. You can get one of these to charge the system. My stock Merc alternators are only 60 or 65 amps so a 150 amp would be a significant jump and should help a lot more than what you have. As long as you don't have twins(double the cost), it seems like a good route to go.

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Charging 4 drained batteries at the same time will work an alternator really hard. If you can swing it, charging the stereo batteries at the end of the day on a charger will make the alternator last longer.
I've been doing that on 2 Optima deep cycles for 3 years and they are still going like they were new.

hd&boatrider
03-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Charging 4 drained batteries at the same time will work an alternator really hard. If you can swing it, charging the stereo batteries at the end of the day on a charger will make the alternator last longer.
I've been doing that on 2 Optima deep cycles for 3 years and they are still going like they were new.
RC-----Many times, actually most of the time the boat is int he water overnight with no power available. Whenever I pull it out I always charge the batteries.

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2004, 06:59 PM
If you're gonna charge all those batteries, I'd upgrade your alternator. Each battery is a load, and the more batteries, the more 'watered down" your charging is off the alternator.
I'd go with a minimum 100 amp alternator, and make sure you put a minimum 4 guage wire from the alternator to the batteries.
Piece of cake.

hd&boatrider
03-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks HH....I am not going to be leaving in the water overnight intially until the summer crowds start. Any suggestions on the alternator or where I should pick it up from?
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
If you're gonna charge all those batteries, I'd upgrade your alternator. Each battery is a load, and the more batteries, the more 'watered down" your charging is off the alternator.
I'd go with a minimum 100 amp alternator, and make sure you put a minimum 4 guage wire from the alternator to the batteries.
Piece of cake.

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Thanks HH....I am not going to be leaving in the water overnight intially until the summer crowds start. Any suggestions on the alternator or where I should pick it up from?
There's a guy in Parker that has a smokin' price on chrome marine 100 amp alternators.
Ron @ RB Performance
(928)669-6411
I think they were like $100 or something. If they were anywhere close to 100 amps...it's a good deal.

1stepcloser
03-22-2004, 08:33 PM
Teague (http://www.teaguecustommarine.com) has 100 amp chrome single wire alternators for $180.00.
Two seasons on mine, no problems.

OutCole'd
03-22-2004, 08:39 PM
After running your stereo all day, just let your boat idle all night to recharge the batteries, should be good to go by the morning..
Next problem...

hd&boatrider
03-22-2004, 09:37 PM
WOW! I dodn't think of that....lol
Originally posted by OutCole'd
After running your stereo all day, just let your boat idle all night to recharge the batteries, should be good to go by the morning..
Next problem...

hd&boatrider
03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Thanks HH and 1 Step.....I have never messed with an alternator before. Can I do this myself pretty easily or should I pay the money to have soemone else do it for me? Is there any reason I should go for a bigger alternator? I heard someone mention a price of about 1K somewhere.

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2004, 04:55 AM
I have never messed with an alternator before. Can I do this myself pretty easily or should I pay the money to have soemone else do it for me?
Piece of cake (the toughest thing is getting to it). Two bolts and a wire harness (don't use the old wire, it's probably just 10 gauge). I'd say it's no more than a two hour job...depending on your BAC.
Is there any reason I should go for a bigger alternator? I heard someone mention a price of about 1K somewhere.
The $1K alternators are those big 130+ amp ones made for cruisers, etc. with huge battery banks. They have beefier housings and components, and put out more amps at lower RPMs (less heat).
Most stock alternators put out around 55 amps...so stepping up to a 100 amp unit will be a big improvement.

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks HH....I appreciate the help

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Just make sure you tell whoever you buy from that you have the 496HO with the multi ribbed serpentine belt.
This belt has to line up perfectly or it will shread itself in short order.....

Hustler
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Tom, call Ron @ R&B like HH suggested he's a good guy and builds a great product not to mention his customer service is awsome. I bought a 120 amp alternator from him and the thing kicks ass, like RC said make sure you tell him the aplication and he'll set you up. and if you need any help installing it I'm sure HH would love something to do durring the day:D

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Hustler
Tom, call Ron @ R&B like HH suggested he's a good guy and builds a great product not to mention his customer service is awsome. I bought a 120 amp alternator from him and the thing kicks ass, like RC said make sure you tell him the aplication and he'll set you up. and if you need any help installing it I'm sure HH would love something to do durring the day:D
Thanks Joe....I will do that. Hope things are well for you and Candi. Look forward to seeing you guys out on the river/lake this year.

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Just make sure you tell whoever you buy from that you have the 496HO with the multi ribbed serpentine belt.
This belt has to line up perfectly or it will shread itself in short order.....
You know, sometimes these forums get a little lame/waste of time but when you need something you can usually get the assistance needed. Thanks RC

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Us Needles/Mohave boaters need to stick together!
How's the stereo install coming along Tom? Any pics to post yet?:D

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Us Needles/Mohave boaters need to stick together!
How's the stereo install coming along Tom? Any pics to post yet?:D
Just got a call from Adam....The tweeters are going to be recessed in the grills and he said they fit like a glove and look very sharp. Chris (Roz) stopped by yesterday to deliver a few components and we looked it over. It makes me want to cry when I see my new boat tore apart like that :(. No pics till it is all done :). Then, I will post plenty as long as someone can help me....I have never been able to get the pic post thing down....I guess I am just semi-retarted....lol

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Anybody know where I can get one of these upgraded alternators today? If I can get it to Wired For Sound today they will put it on for me tomorrow so when I pick up my boat it is all done.
I am in Anaheim and WIred For SOund is in Murietta.
Thanks

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Email them over to me and I'll get them up here for you.
david.craig@cnb.com

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 10:39 AM
Email them over to me and I'll get them up here for you.
david.craig@cnb.com
Thanks and I will send them over as soon as I can take them.

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Called Teague and they don't have any for the 496HO. Also left a message for Ron over at RB....any other resources that may have what I need?

ROZ
03-23-2004, 11:03 AM
PM PartyCat... He was on a mission a while back looking for HO alternators... He may have a name and number for someone locally who has one....

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
PM PartyCat... He was on a mission a while back looking for HO alternators... He may have a name and number for someone locally who has one....
Thanks Chris

riverbound
03-23-2004, 01:44 PM
I bought mine from rb performance in parker also. He has very good pricing and i picked mine up on the way through town install was about 20 minutes.