PDA

View Full Version : carlise tires and extreme trailers

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 03:25 PM
well i finally got my 2002 carlise tires down to extreme.first mistake tony was not there so dave was going to pawn me off with a phone number to carlise which i said would not be a help.so he ended up taking tire will hear more later.how many guys have had this problem with the tire and extreme.i know quite a few people have said that they replaced them no problem and they went on there way.i was not under that impression at all.so who has had teh problem and been taken care of?and who hasnt?

OGShocker
03-22-2004, 03:28 PM
From what I have read, this is NOT an Extreme problem. They are however, trying to help people with thier problems.
Extreme ROCKS!

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 03:32 PM
I've got the Carlise's on my 2003 Extreme trailer. I've heard the horror stories but to date they are holding up just fine. But I am paranoid about them and check them at ever stop and make sure they are always at 50psi.

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 03:39 PM
yea thats what i got from them today not there problem but they may help if they can.i would like to hear from the guys who they took care of and why there situation is different then anyone elses.a bad tire is a bad tire.i just look at it this way if they know a shitload of trailers they sold in 2002 had bad tires there tire or not they need to take care of it and take care of everyone the same.unless the guys saying they got there stuff handled is bullshit which could be a good probalitity.

cc322
03-22-2004, 03:45 PM
From what I have read, this is NOT an Extreme problem. They are however, trying to help people with thier problems.
Extreme ROCKS!
I think it would be a extreem problem, seems this has been going on for a long time, why dont they switch tire manufactures ? There are plenty of other tire companys out thier just mt 02

RacerX
03-22-2004, 03:54 PM
I have a 2001 Extreme trailer for our Malibu. It came with Carlisle tires. After probably 3000 miles (of mostly 70 MPH driving), one or our tires blew out on our way to Laughlin. The tire shredded and wrapped around my axle after warping the fender and destroying the license plate.
Anyway....Extreme was of NO HELP when I called them.
I called Carlisle and they sent me (4) new tires in less than 5 days. They were a different design of the same tire. After about 3-4 weeks, another set of (4) tires showed up at my doorstep as well. They forgot they sent me the 1st set but never asked for the 2nd set to be sent back. I guess it wasn't worth the shipping costs....
A thread like this was going on at Wakeworld.com last season and a few guys did alot of research. Believe it or not, some of the Carlisle trailer tires (including the ones I had) were actually made by Goodyear on a contract basis for Carlisle.

OGShocker
03-22-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by cc322
I think it would be a extreem problem, seems this has been going on for a long time, why dont they switch tire manufactures ? There are plenty of other tire companys out thier just mt 02
We pulled our 7000 lb boat to our place in Canada (1950 Miles) and back (1950 miles) to Havasu and back three times (350 miles times 6). I pull (outside Cailfornia) between 80/85 MPH as much as I can. I have not (knock on wood) had any problems.
My extra .02
OGS

cc322
03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
i wonder what tires Zieman uses??????:confused:

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 04:10 PM
that is what you always hear its not there problem but there trying to help.i just want new tires for the ones they know are bad.never mind about my 600 or 700 dollar trailer damage i will eat that.i just feel i got two tires that look like elephant man one that blew and caused the damage and one that looks ok.you know its a problem fix it.

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 04:11 PM
racerx what number did you call.

FastTimmy
03-22-2004, 04:14 PM
SandBarJUnkies has had two blowouts on his trailer(extreme with a Mach 26). I was in the sub. for one of them, holly crap it scared ME!! Extrem did give carl new fenders and new tires but HE put them on and had them painted. Both of his flats were on the back axle at different times so you would not think he ran something over would you?
My .02
Timmy

RacerX
03-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
racerx what number did you call.
I looked up the Corporate # for Carlisle tires on the Internet. I don't have the # any longer. It occurred last year at the beginning of July.

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 04:26 PM
well will see what happens, extreme is working on it.i just wanted to have a little information about there past practice with this sitiation.dont want to sound to harsh on extreme there checkinh it out and that is all i can ask.for now

Lightning
03-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I had problems on three tires in one weekend. I called carslisle and they said to send a copy of the invoice, with a letter of explanation and photos if possible. If the tires are less than 2 years old, they are still under warranty and they have no problem sending new ones or sending a check. Make sure you keep the old tires, so you can get the DOT numbers off of them.
Trailer Damage: Carslisle had some tires that were manufactured by Goodyear, so they told me to call goodyear on this. When I called Goodyear to file a damage claim all they wanted was a copy of the repair bill, photos of the damage, letter of elplanation. They said that they would send a check in the mail, if those tires were manufactured by them. They could tell about the manufacturing by the DOT #'s.
I have not sent any of the letters with copies of the bill, so I can not give any details about reimbursement yet. Trailer is going to Extreme on Wednesday for repair.

shadow
03-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I had one carlisle tire blow and thought nothing of it.replaced it and went on my way.The next time towing had two tires blow at the same,same side.maybe one took out the other.Anyways replaced all 6 with new tires and kept the 2 blow outs,never kept the first bad one.Called extreme dealt with Tony.he had me send the tires to him and he forwarded them to Goodyear in Ohio with a receipt for six tires and scratches on the boat from the tires. Goodyear sent me a questioneer and I sent it back,took about a month but they sent me a check for the scratches and tires only about 60% of the tires because I didn't buy a goodyear product.
the amount alotted per tire was about 70 bucks or something like that.ended up getting a check for about 600 for damage and tires.
Tony was helpful forwarding the tires for me but I also followed up with the phone calls to Goodyear claims dept.
Good luck.

Lakeshow
03-22-2004, 05:27 PM
I have the low profile set up on my extreme and blew two tires last night on the way back. Took them down to my tire shop this morning and the guy looked at me like I had two heads as the blown tires are 4 ply - Those are car tires!!!!
I called Extreme twice today about it and have yet to get a return call.
We'll see how this works out.

bohica
03-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Calisle tires are junk. They will try and replace them with Merit tires. Tell them no thanks and take cash instead so you can buy some real tires.

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 05:44 PM
lakeshow i was there when you probaly called.i know there was a guy on the phone with a tire question.

unleashed
03-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know if this is just a one time problem with a certain lot# or batch of tires or are they problems with all Carlisles??? Also what would you reccomend in place of these tires. Are there any available that are basically bullit proof for a long period or are they all the same??
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Rod-64
03-22-2004, 06:06 PM
F##K Carlisles:mad: :mad:
Blew TWO out on the way to Mohave........at different times.......both tires were less than six months old and I ALWAYS kept the pressure on the nose. To add insult to injury WINSTON TIRE went out of business here.
By the way, we had to change the tires in 112 degree heat which really sucks once..........but the second time? Furious is too good a word for what I was.:D

welk2party
03-22-2004, 06:33 PM
I am with Deano. If it is a certain batch, no problem, replace them and on my way. Recomedations on replacements would be great. If my carlises are part of a good batch than I guess I am fine.

boatnam2
03-22-2004, 06:39 PM
that is the thing with me they no there is a batch of 2002 tires that are bad.handle it and make it go away.i dont care what the **** they are a long as the dont have tumors all over them like mine.

phebus
03-22-2004, 06:50 PM
It's not just the 2002 tires. I have a 2000 Extreme trailer, that had Carlisle tires, and lots of problems. Extreme stepped up and replaced them all. They were replaced with Carlisle's again, and I don't know if the problem is solved, as the trailer is now in Havasu and see's very little towing.

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a demon trailer.
Actually, I had my one on previous Tow-Master set (stock from Extreme) blow out...but I switched to Carlisle a couple years ago.
Lots o miles...no worries.
Although...I probably jinxed myself by replying in a demon tire thread.

BoatFloating
03-22-2004, 08:05 PM
2001 Extreme trailer. Blew all 4 tires in the first 5 months. I replaced the first one as I thought it was my deal but when 2 blew at the same time and the 3rd had football size bubble on the sidewall I knew it was a problem. I called Extreme and talk to Tony and mind you it was in 2001. I asked him if there was a problem with Carlisle tires and he said no! They are made by Goodyear and they are fine. I was concerned about being radials as I've always had bias ply and never had a problem. He said these tow better and better gas mileage. He told me bring tires in and he'll give me 4 new ones. So I get to Extreme and pull around back to put my new tires on and there sits 2 full pallets of tires like mine no tread, bubbles and complete blow outs. So Tony come out and I say oh! no problems with the tires ehh! He stutters and says oh! we've had a few problems with them. I told him if you have 2 pallets of tires of people that bitched how many do you think you would have if everyone reported a problem.
Tony told me the main problem with the tread seperation is people running them to low of air pressure. This is why all the trailer tires now come with the idiot stem on it, that is green when it's full pressure. I told him I checked before every trip the pressure and his theory held no air (pardon the pun). Trust me Extreme and Goodyear know they have a problem on there hands and they need to take care of the people like they did me. I'm currently on my 3rd new set free from Extreme and Goodyear. Back in 2001 all I had to do is mention Firestone and Ford and boy they were jumping thru hoops. As far as I can see they haven't fixed the problem yet. So here is my advice and a pun again "squeaky wheel gets the grease". Stay on Tony and let him know it's a major problem and you want to be taking care of.

lovemyultra
03-22-2004, 08:22 PM
I just bought a new set of Denman trailer tires, these were highly recommended to me.They are 8 ply trailer radials and rated at 2580 each so as far as bullet proof goes we will see ,I will keep you posted

Flying Tiger
03-22-2004, 08:51 PM
When Ya look in Tonys eyes while you talk to him,, you see someones in there with him.
Seems like a very troubled man.

Outnumbered
03-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Check this out:
RV Forum Link (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/402199/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm)

Outnumbered
03-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Another:
RV Forum Link2 (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/13420369/gotomsg/13446936.cfm#13446936)

Outnumbered
03-22-2004, 09:45 PM
This one sounds like stories I've read here:
Yet Another (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/12944497/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm)

cola
03-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Well I lost a total of 4 tires & Extreme steped up & helped me. I lost both 3 axel fenders, three steps and scratches on the boat. I had to buy a tire to make it home from Havasu on Thanksgiving week-end. Goodyear sent me a check for the tire, ( i bought ) repair to the boat & Extreme's repair money. Tony's repair bill was over 1k & he never ask for a dime up front. He said when you get your check just pay us then. I could not say enough about how Tony helped. I think he can only do so much. The first time I hade trouble the Bitch @ Carlile told me she would not replace all 7 of my tiers just because 1 blew out. Carlile also replaced all 7 tires & one wheel I scrached @ Winsor Beach making the turn from the yearly pass line. (swing it a little wider)
It would have been a lot less hassle. Stay with Tony for the help, but you have to make the claim. I want a set of the low profile tires that Magic just put on a friends new deck. I will check it out this Friday when I get to Havasu. Good luck
Late, Mike

cruser
03-22-2004, 11:57 PM
So, since I should be getting my new Extreme trailer in a month or so and when I pick the trailer up I will be towing it home (~900 miles) Do I need to worry about the tires? Should I insist that they put something other than Carlisle on it? It would really fry me to damage my brand new boat/trailer before I even get it wet.
cruzer

boatnam2
03-23-2004, 07:12 AM
yea when i walked in and found out tony wasnt in and got dave i knew right away i screwed up.i will be calling tony today.

boatnam2
03-23-2004, 07:19 AM
boatfloating thats what had me pissed,dave was acting like he had never heard of the problem when i know for a fact many from the boards have had the same problem and been handled.i dont even tow my boat and went to put it in the water which is about 100feet from my garage so low tire pressure or not the tires should not get giant bubbles on them and you could see where there tread was seperating.just from setting in my garage.

Essex502
03-23-2004, 07:40 AM
I have owned an Extreme tandem trailer and the 4 Carlisle tires on it since 2000 and not one problem with the tires. I try to keep the speed to below 65 on the highway when we tow any distance (the boat is stored in Havasu since 2002) and always check the inflation pressure before every "distance" tow. Never had a problem. I expect the problems - as someone has already said - are with a specific batch or batches made with a particular manufacturing process or rubber compounding that may have been out of spec. Or, Carlisle was subcontracting the tire manufacture out to someone else.
Any company in business won't stay in business long with problems of this nature without addressing them.
Have any of you guys added up the number of tires on your trailer and the listed maximum weight ratings to see if the tires are the correct size for the load you're towing? We assume Extreme sized them correctly but who knows? Also, with the high temps our southwest deserts have and the high speeds most of us drive our rigs tire inflation it enormously important. Ask Bridgestone/Firestone/Ford about tires and tire pressures.

BoatFloating
03-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by cola
I could not say enough about how Tony helped. I think he can only do so much.
I'll metion Firestone and Ford agai. Ford was in the same postion as Tony is in and did nothing and now they are on the hook for billons of dollars in law suits along with Firestone.
So Tony and Extreme really need to help everyone that has had a problem or one of these times someone is going to get hurt with a blowout and with all the documentation of the problems online they will be in a world of hurt. :frown:

Jordy
03-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
Ask Bridgestone/Firestone/Ford about tires and tire pressures.
I think that was a little different because Ford put pressure on Firestone to label the tires to be run under inflated to soften up for the stiffer ride that people were complaining about on their vehicles, kinda like the old 110 Honda ATC's that used the baloon tires for suspension.

BoatFloating
03-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
kinda like the old 110 Honda ATC's that used the baloon tires for suspension.
Oh! now those were dangerous.....:eek:

Lakeshow
03-23-2004, 08:45 AM
I talked to Tony this A.M. and they are buried. However, he did listen to my gripe and is going to speak with management about the problem and they are going to get back to me in a day or two. That would make it Thursday and I will keep posted on progress.

Lakeshow
03-23-2004, 08:46 AM
BTW - forgot to mention, aside from the flat tire issues the trailer is bitchin. :D

Laveyman
03-23-2004, 09:25 AM
I had four of the low-profile tires on my Extreme trailer. I blew two of them on the way back from the river last spring. Tony at Extreme basically told me I was shit outta luck. I ended up paying them $500 to fix the trailer. The first time I took it out again I stepped on the step, and the weld broke! :mad: I've still got to deal with that one. Not quite sure if I want to take it back tothem or just have it fix by someone who cares.
As far as the tires, I went with Trailmasters. They are made by Greenball Tires. Awesome tires!

Lightning
03-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by unleashed
Does anyone know if this is just a one time problem with a certain lot# or batch of tires or are they problems with all Carlisles??? Also what would you reccomend in place of these tires. Are there any available that are basically bullit proof for a long period or are they all the same??
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
I am considering going with Denman trailer tires. They have a 5 year warranty. I have a client who owns a trailer shop in San Diego and they have been using them for 5 years without any problems.

SMILEMAKER
03-23-2004, 10:39 AM
:mad: :mad: I had one Carlisle tire blow, the first month I had it. I tought it must have hit some thing. Then this weekend towing from Parker to Havasu, LR tire blew, wrapped around axle, Messed up the fender, tore all the wiring out and lost the license plate!!!! I called Eliminator, they told me to call Extreme. I have and am waiting for a call back. I went into Havasu, to Big O and put four new Towmasters on. Now have to deal with fixing trailer. For the record, I am an anal dentist. I check the air pressure every time I tow, grease the bearing buddies and drive 65 or less. The tires have less than 1500 miles on them.
Hope I have better luck with the Towmasters....doc:D

Laveyman
03-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by SMILEMAKER
For the record, I am an anal dentist.
I didn't know we HAD teeth down there!?!? :D How do ya brush em? :confused: :D :confused:

SMILEMAKER
03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
:yuk: :D Laveyman--F----U, j/k You just made my day, I'm still chuckling... Believe me some peoples breath smells like it should be coming from alittle lower.....;) ;)

cruser
03-23-2004, 10:03 PM
So, is the problem limited to the low profile option tires or what?
cruzer

phebus
03-23-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by cruser
So, is the problem limited to the low profile option tires or what?
cruzer
No, I had problems with the standard profile tires, and switched to low profile. Unknown if I will have problems with them, as I don't tow much anymore. I will find out next Powell trip.

welk2party
03-24-2004, 08:47 AM
I plan to keep the boat in Havasu this summer, so my towing will be limited. But I have about 3000 miles on mine and not a problem yet. Knock on wood.

havasuaddicted661
03-24-2004, 09:51 AM
just wondering what kind of psi everyone runs in their trailer tires...

Essex502
03-24-2004, 10:03 AM
I keep mine at the max rating embossed on the side of the tire. I can't remember right off hand what it is as I have 2 cars, 1 truck and a trailer that I check regularly.

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 10:06 AM
I also go max pressures in my trailer tires. Actually I've heard its OK to go a few lbs higher than that. I usually keep mine at 51-52 lbs and the tires are rated for 50.
The problem with lower pressures is more tire is in contact with the road surface and that causes friction and heat buildup. Heat buildup is what causes tires to go boom!

Essex502
03-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I also go max pressures in my trailer tires. Actually I've heard its OK to go a few lbs higher than that. I usually keep mine at 51-52 lbs and the tires are rated for 50.
The problem with lower pressures is more tire is in contact with the road surface and that causes friction and heat buildup. Heat buildup is what causes tires to go boom!
Also, the lower the tire pressure the more the sidewall flexes causing internal friction and heat build-up.

phebus
03-24-2004, 01:22 PM
50 psi. That is the max rating on the sidewall, and what I was told to maintain.

Lightning
03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Droped mine off to Extreme today to get my repairs done. I will post some photos after I pick up the trailer.

Outnumbered
03-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
Droped mine off to Extreme today to get my repairs done. I will post some photos after I pick up the trailer.
I just picked mine up yesterday. Had it totally re-done. They did a killer job. Had a pivot-hitch installed. I'll post some pix when I get it out of the shop. Having oil changed etc.
OL

boatnam2
03-24-2004, 06:24 PM
well i just want to thank tony at extreme he got me 4 new tires and i very pleased with the way he handled it.

BoatFloating
03-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
well i just want to thank tony at extreme he got me 4 new tires and i very pleased with the way he handled it.
;) ;)

Lightning
03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Just picked up my trailer from Extreme today, they did an excelent job on repairing things. Tony handled everything very smoothly, filed the claim on the tires and everything. They define customer service at extreme, very impressed.

Laveyman
04-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Follow-up to my repair problem.
I just picked up my trailer on Friday afternoon. Tony was a pleasure to deal with. Extreme replaced the fender step & diamond plate and repainted to entire area to a perfect color match. While they had the boat off the trailer, they replaced the carpet on four bunks that had small tears in them, and did a complete service on the trailer. All of this was done for free. Damn good customer service if ya ask me. They are obviously trying to make good on their previous problems and keep their reputation intact.
A+++ from Laveyman! :cool:

NashvilleBound
04-06-2004, 06:33 PM
I had a problem with the Carslile tires too and Extreme totally blew me off. They might make a great trailer but their customer service, to me, SUCKED! I hear problems all the time with the tires. Carslile tires SUCK. 55MPH only...
Who drives 55???...tho we should with our trailers:rolleyes: Go put some real radials on there and you will never have another tire problem....just my .02
NB