PDA

View Full Version : First newbie question: prop puller

Jordy
03-22-2004, 05:40 PM
The prop is kinda dinged up (not from me, it was like that when I picked it up) from contact with the trailer (I floated it off and on, I did know that much). My question is, when I go to pull this sucker off (it's on there good) do I need a special prop puller like the one Rex sells, or will a regular jaw puller do the job? There is enough room between the prop flange and the prop strut to use a regular set of pullers. Just thought I would ask before I go screwing anything up. ;)

Rexone
03-22-2004, 05:48 PM
There is generally not enough room for a standard jaw puller. You need the steel puller with the narrow vertical web and the strength to not bend. Also if the prop is in optimum position you will have only about 1/4" between it and the strut, not enough for most auto type pullers.
Also when pulling (as you probably know) do not try to muscle it off with the puller. Apply some pre-load and hit the end of the puller bolt squarely with a hammer to shock it free. Also leave the nut on the end of the shaft so you don't end up wearing the whole deal embedded in your forehead.

DetroitJim
03-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Doubtful a jaw type puller will work without slipping off. First,beg or borrow a heavy duty prop puller. Then, my advice is to loosen up the propshaft coupler and back the shaft out a ways. Reason being you will most likely have to beat on the puller with a hammer to break the prop loose, which will transmit the force straight into the thrust bearing and front bearing inside the v-drive. If you back the shaft off and slip a shim of some sort between the puller and the strut barrell, the strut gives you some backup.
DJ

Jordy
03-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
There is generally not enough room for a standard jaw puller. You need the steel puller with the narrow vertical web and the strength to not bend. Also if the prop is in optimum position you will have only about 1/4" between it and the strut, not enough for most auto type pullers.
There is an inch or so between the prop and the strut, then again this isn't a flattie, so maybe that is the reason... hell, I don't know. But anyhow, I think I might just give it a try a regular jaw type puller. I've got it soaking with WD-40 and Deep Creep right now to see if it will loosen up a bit. Figure I'll soak it down a few more times tonight and tomorrow and try it again.
Thanks Mike.
;)
I have a feeling we'll be talking quite a bit in the near future as I start the process of cleaning up and modernizing this boat a bit. First on the agenda will be the new gauges. The old black SW gauges just aren't cutting it. I see a new set of platinum faced Autometers in my future. ;)

Jordy
03-22-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DetroitJim
Doubtful a jaw type puller will work without slipping off. First,beg or borrow a heavy duty prop puller. Then, my advice is to loosen up the propshaft coupler and back the shaft out a ways. Reason being you will most likely have to beat on the puller with a hammer to break the prop loose, which will transmit the force straight into the thrust bearing and front bearing inside the v-drive. If you back the shaft off and slip a shim of some sort between the puller and the strut barrell, the strut gives you some backup.
DJ
Hmm, now who lives around here that has a V-drive. I know Jim Anderson was in the area but last I heard he had sold the taco wagon and moved out to Cali...
I wonder if SS126 is still in the region, or if he followed the Jim Anderson cult westward? ;)
Maybe if I started begging in Art's direction... ;)

Rexone
03-22-2004, 06:11 PM
Saw the pic of the boat, very cool. Did you get your tips ok last week? :)

Jordy
03-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
Saw the pic of the boat, very cool. Did you get your tips ok last week? :)
Thanks. Yes I did. They're bad ass. But now all my time has been consumed with this boat and the nightmare trailer from hell. I've spent more time pulling it at 20 mph with the hazards on because of tire/wheel bearing problems than I have anything else. Looking at a new triple axle trailer for it. Clean it up a bit, play with it for a while and go from there.
Need to get all the stuff worked out with my yellow boat too and decide if I'm going to keep it, sell it, or what. Might just sell them both and go another direction. Who knows. :D

Maxey
03-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Is it a two or three blade prop? I have
found (through experience) that for
"difficult to remove props", that your
choice of puller will/should change. For a
two blade, the pullers you see advertised
@ most sites, is OK. For a three blade,
(cruiser), I suggest a puller that has 3 bolts and grabs on each "ear" equally,
if that makes sense. A little heat can
also help, but be carful not to harm bottom of your hull.
:) :)

Jordy
03-22-2004, 06:28 PM
It's a two blade prop and has a good sized blast plate that runs from the strut back so I don't have to worry about cooking a hole through it. ;)

Rexone
03-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Don't apply too much heat to the prop either. A little is ok, alot is not wise. If it turns some color other than the original that was probably too much.

Jordy
03-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I think if it comes time to use the heat, I'll just use a propane plumber style torch rather than breaking out the cutting torch, although that might just become an option if it doesn't jump off the shaft. :D

AZKC
03-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Maybe if I started begging in Art's direction... ;)
He needs something to do any way:p I'll send out the Bat Signal:D

Schiada76
03-23-2004, 11:00 AM
Buy the one from REX you won't regret it.
I f'd up a shaft with one I borrowed from the local boat supply.
I used Rex's on another stuck prop and it worked great. I did however have to put a chit load of penetrating oil on it, heat it and then left the puller chinched on it over night. When I got up in the morning and tapped it the puller it poped right off.:D

schiada96
03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Jordy
Did I read that you have an inch between the prop and strut?

Jordy
03-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
Jordy
Ballpark, yes around an inch or so.
****EDIT: I just went out and double checked, and it's around half an inch or so.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Hmm, now who lives around here that has a V-drive.
Two words----> Bergeron Marine (480) 834-1531:cool:

Jordy
03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
Two words----> Bergeron Marine (480) 834-1531:cool:
I'm working my way that way this afternoon. Brian did the pump on my jet a while back so I know them well.

Schiada76
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
Jordy
Jeff,
Was that your antenna on the Humvee in todays paper?

schiada96
03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Brad what paper so I can get one

Schiada76
03-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Daily news business section.

sgdiv7
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey jordi, buy the good puller because you will be using it often like when you pull it off for the long trip home so it doesn't get ding up from road rocks or chunks of whatever in the road. when you put it back on put some anti seize on it so it doesn't happen again. If your boat has reverse loosen the nut one turn and leave the cotter pin in and nail the gas and the prop will be loose when you pull it out of the water. All of the above works for me. My phone # is in my profile if you feel the need to call, lol

Jordy
03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
It's off. Stopped by and saw Brian and Phil and picked up a puller. Didn't take much as it had been soaking in WD-40 since last night. Tightened it down, smacked it with a hammer, tightened it down again, gave it another whack and it was off.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I guess I'll take the prop back down to Bergeron and see what options I have as far as repair or replacement, etc. Never had this prop problem with my jet boat. :D

126driver
03-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Sorry bro, just got back into town. I would have been more than happy to swing by, drink all of your beer then beat the hell outta that prop with my big crescent wrench. Maybe next time.

SK48
03-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Jordy, do you have a one inch shaft or a inch and an eighth shaft it the new Schiada ? I have some really good props for your boat that are one inch. I can't use them as they are for my old Vector, and the new one is inch and an eighth. I wouldn't sell them but you can use them and if they work I will give them to you.
??? How did the boat perform. You seemed kind of down after all the trailer problems. See you in Parker, Richard

schiada96
03-23-2004, 07:35 PM
SK 48 what props do you have? are any for sale?

Rexone
03-23-2004, 07:43 PM
It would appear Jordy's been busy changing air induction already.
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~daytona/DHstack.jpg
dang!

Jordy
03-24-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by SK48
Jordy, do you have a one inch shaft or a inch and an eighth shaft it the new Schiada ? I have some really good props for your boat that are one inch. I can't use them as they are for my old Vector, and the new one is inch and an eighth. I wouldn't sell them but you can use them and if they work I will give them to you.
??? How did the boat perform. You seemed kind of down after all the trailer problems. See you in Parker, Richard
I'm not sure. I'm going to say it's an inch, but after I got the prop off I got kinda distracted with a leaking water main going into my house. Yesterday was one of those days that everything I touched went to shit. My computer included. I still can't get my printer to work. I got my plumbing issue fixed and just turned off the computer last night to save any more aggrivation. I'll check the shaft size today and I really appreciate the offer.
Trailer issues aside, it was a good time when we finally got out to the lake last Sunday. It was really windy and choppy but the boat ate it up. I think the plates may need some adjustment as they had a whole lot of down but didn't really fly when they were up, but all in all it is a solid boat. The whole shifting gears thing is pretty cool but will take some getting used to. :D
Hey Mikey, that's funny. ;) :D

AZKC
03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah? F@#K YOU, I like lemons. What else you got?
Boats, Computers, Trailers, Plumbing what else ya need;)
Maybe time to change yer sig:D