PDA

View Full Version : question on stereo set up

Chris Winn
03-22-2004, 06:03 PM
the stereo that is included on my boat has 1 amp and 2 sets of 6x9's (sony 4way explodes) with 2 Kicker (i assume marine b/c they have white grills)10 inch subs.
they are all hooked up to 1 800w 4 channel sony amp (explode)
the sound is ok, but at volume it distorts quickly, the 6x9's are set up to all 4 channels, with the subs ran into (lets say channel 3&4).
the question is if i can run all 4 6x9's into the 1&2 channels and the subs into the 3&4 channels (i think that this channel has a low pass cross over). will this work? i really don't want to have to cut up the boat to change things around, but it would be nice to have some better sound. the speakers appear to have good quality, and could produce better sound than they have so far.
any input would be helpfull

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
If those are 4 ohm 6x9's, that will give a 2 ohm load on channels 1 & 2. I don't think a 4 channel Sony amp could handle a 2 ohm stereo load.
I'd buy a second class d amp for the subs- it'll solve all yer problems for $150 or so.

Chris Winn
03-22-2004, 07:00 PM
good idea,
i have a small amount of space under the amp (equeall to the size of the sony amp, i am going to look into that, do you think that it is safe to run (siamiese) the power and ground wire (they appear to be pretty beefy) for the 2nd amp. i might just remove the cd changer (sony 12 disk) b/c i do not see myself using it (single cd is good enough)
who makes a decent class d amp (those take less power to run right?) that would be a good idea, right now i can run the stereo on 1 battery for several hours with no problem, so 1 small class D shouldn't change too much.
thanks for the input on that, i wont se the boat untill the 22nd, but that mod shoudln't require too much time out there.

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2004, 07:12 PM
For the money...JBL (http://www.justamps.com/Amp_Pages/JBL/jbl_power.htm) are a great value.
That amp will probably add another 10-20 amp draw (probably double what you have now)...so depending on the length, 4 guage wire will probably work fine.
You're right...you probably won't notice much more in the "battery drain" department.

Chris Winn
03-22-2004, 07:55 PM
thanks,
i am going to look into some of these this weekend, that will give me some time to shop around.