PDA

View Full Version : A quick survey...

Havasu Hangin'
03-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Man...it's tough livin' in this state of insanity...

canuck1
03-22-2004, 08:05 PM
WTF is an earthquake?

rivercrazy
03-22-2004, 08:35 PM
I know in theory I should be carrying this coverage to protect my equity. HOWEVER, since my house isnt that old I am gambling that potential damage would be less than about $50K or the estimated deductable......Before Northridge, I had great coverage with a low deductable for about $100 per year.......
:( :mad: :yuk:

THOR
03-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Yep,sure do. Any type of crack or stress that is visible from an earthquake, the insurance will tell you to go f&^% yourself if you dont have insurance.

RiverToysJas
03-22-2004, 08:39 PM
I used to, back when it was priced reasonably well, and covered you fairly good. But like RC said, the deductable is extremely high, and the when I read the 'new' coverage, it's not that great IMO. So I go w/o now.
RTJas

CAHotRodBoy
03-22-2004, 08:50 PM
I used to but same thing as others...after Northridge it's too $$$$.
Plus, I'm a contractor so I figure if the house is destroyed I'll just rebuild it myself. It's the land that is so valuable here, not the structure.

HCS
03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm in Sacramento Ca, last major earthquake was 180 years ago.
I guess were do.:D
I'll just roll the dice.

Jrocket
03-22-2004, 09:03 PM
I pushed No,but I meant yes.Actually I just got a paper to update it and add some coverage and I will be upping my coverage.

Cas
03-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I figure if there's an earthquake big enough to knock my house down, it'll also catch on fire ;) ....fire insurance, I have

jbtrailerjim
03-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Cas
I figure if there's an earthquake big enough to knock my house down, it'll also catch on fire ;) ....fire insurance, I have
LOL....That's what I alway's say, when someone ask's me if I carry earthquake insurance.

OGShocker
03-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Cas
Yup, Gas leaks and road flares just don't mix...;)

Mandelon
03-23-2004, 06:41 AM
If something around here breaks, I can fix it. ;) When we bought the house we are in now we remodeled before we moved in and for a while after. I put in soooo many simpson strong tie brackets......hurricane clips, and basically overbuilt everything. This place might bend, but it won't break.
Plus the gov will probably offer cheap loans if its a bad one....

clownpuncher
03-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Yup, Gas leaks and road flares just don't mix...;)
You know, I had an insurance agent "suggest" the same principle. Kinda makes sense.

Essex502
03-23-2004, 07:53 AM
The deductable is soooo high and the coverage soooooo low for my contents that it isn't cost effective in my opinion. I think the marketplace in general is also 'ef'd up as the quake insurance isn't priced by any formula that reflects past earthquake damage claims. We in SoCal subsidize the earthquake coverage costs, for example, for peeps in NoCal where historically more damage has been done.

Ducatista
03-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I carry it but the coverage and deductable do suck. Some of my friends don't, they figure FEMA will bail them out, like it did for so many people after the Northridge quake.

mirvin
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
My place was built in 1939. I can't get earthquake insurance because my house "is not bolted to the foundation":(
I figure that since it hasn't fallen over yet, I'm ok;)
mirvin

stoker
03-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Ducatista
I carry it but the coverage and deductable do suck. Some of my friends don't, they figure FEMA will bail them out, like it did for so many people after the Northridge quake.
This is so true. After the Northridge quake FEMA was forcing money down peoples throats. I had some clients that had very little damage (cosmetic) FEMA came in and gave them a check and told them they needed to spend it on their house, even if it was for new appliances. I also did some repairs on some houses that had structural damage, FEMA wrote a check for those also because the homeowner didn't have earthquake ins. For a while after the quake FEMA would foot the bill to do a seismic retrofit on your house.

superdave013
03-23-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm risking it here.