PDA

View Full Version : logs to headers

78 Sprint
03-22-2004, 09:15 PM
my boat had logs with ot pipes i bought a set of rewarder twisties. can any one give me a good solid way to set them up with out ending up with water in my oil, I have heard alot of stories on here with that happing. should i use ball valves before each header to regulate the amount of water going to the headers,and is it a good idea to put a ball valve at the drivers seat to shut the water off at idle even with the tee ball and spring. what rpms is safe to have the water come on, and do you turn the gate valve on the discharge down to set the rpms that you want the water to start flowing. thanks for any advice!!!!!!

FryJet
03-22-2004, 09:45 PM
This is what I had.
Pump to ball valve -10 hose
Valve to T -10 hose
T to w/p plate -10 hose
Water outlet housing, one outlet to exit, the other up to a ball valve on the bottom side of my seat and then back to the Basset T w/ the ball and spring removed and then up to each header, all -8 hose including the exit water.
You just have to remember to shut the water of when you get off plane or reversion will kill your engine, in more ways than one. With this setup my engine ran at 150 on plane and 180 at idle and the block presure at WOT was 16 pounds on the guage in the intake manifold. Hope that helps.
F.J.

Taylorman
03-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Whats the reason for using such big hose -10 for water lines.

Squirtcha?
03-23-2004, 08:05 AM
You just have to remember to shut the water of when you get off plane or reversion will kill your engine, in more ways than one.
Huh?
You have to shut your water off manually every time you slow down or get off plane?
No offense intended, but that seems like a really complicated and potentially engine damaging deal. Is this all in an effort to try to maintain a certain temperature?
Mine's just plumbed according to the Bassett diagram. It works just fine, and has never given me any problems. It also requires no input from me. Just drive the thing. I've got enough complicated stuff for my old feeble mind to remember while driving. Ya know, steer left, steer right, on the gas off the gas. Oh yeah, all lines and valves are -8 an or 3/8"
Really not trying to start any crap here, but I hang out on the boards and read a lot, and your setup seems sorta atypical.
Maybe I'm wrong (often the case).

MudPumper
03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by FryJet
This is what I had.
Pump to ball valve -10 hose
Valve to T -10 hose
T to w/p plate -10 hose
Water outlet housing, one outlet to exit, the other up to a ball valve on the bottom side of my seat and then back to the Basset T w/ the ball and spring removed and then up to each header, all -8 hose including the exit water.
You just have to remember to shut the water of when you get off plane or reversion will kill your engine, in more ways than one. With this setup my engine ran at 150 on plane and 180 at idle and the block presure at WOT was 16 pounds on the guage in the intake manifold. Hope that helps.
F.J.
Mine is set up this way also except for the valve by the seat. I have the valve by the motor and use the Bassett T-Valve. If you have your pressure set correctly it works fine, or at least it has been so far.

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Run em dry!! Shiney chrome don't make you go any faster.:D

Squirtcha?
03-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Run em dry!! Shiney chrome don't make you go any faster.
That's what my spare set of shorty jethot coated headers is for.

FryJet
03-24-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Squirtcha?
Huh?
You have to shut your water off manually every time you slow down or get off plane?
No offense intended, but that seems like a really complicated and potentially engine damaging deal. Is this all in an effort to try to maintain a certain temperature?
Mine's just plumbed according to the Bassett diagram. It works just fine, and has never given me any problems. It also requires no input from me. Just drive the thing. I've got enough complicated stuff for my old feeble mind to remember while driving. Ya know, steer left, steer right, on the gas off the gas. Oh yeah, all lines and valves are -8 an or 3/8"
Really not trying to start any crap here, but I hang out on the boards and read a lot, and your setup seems sorta atypical.
Maybe I'm wrong (often the case).
No offence taken. I dont know if you misunderstood me but the valve under the seat is for the header water only, not the engine cooling, thats set on the valve coming of the pump. A couple people I know have had problem with sand sticking the Basset valve and bluing the headers and I didnt want to chance it. If you can drive a car and use turn signals, shift, jack around with the stereo, turn on the wipers and talk on the phone than im sure you could push the throttle and turn a valve.
Here is the valve.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/954upe9160-med.jpg
Not bad for 2 years old and quite a few dry runs.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/954P1000914-med.JPG
F.J.

fleetimus
03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
www.banderlog.com
Check this

fleetimus
03-24-2004, 03:53 PM
http://cartogra.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=195c516a-25ed-1fe3-6bcc-6d2460ba1bf2&size=
The Banderlog valve is on the stringer near the transom.

fleetimus
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
http://cartogra.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=195c516a-25ed-1fe3-6bcc-6d2460ba1bf2&size= (http://)

fleetimus
03-24-2004, 03:59 PM
The valve is on the stringer near the transom