PDA

View Full Version : OMC V-8 question

MANIC MECHANIC
03-23-2004, 05:24 AM
Why did OMC discontinue production of this eng?
Is it a good eng, or does it have problems?
Are there performance parts still available for it?
Is this eng to heavy for a 21' Daytona?
Any info would be appreciated.
Tim

HavasuDreamin'
03-23-2004, 06:49 AM
I don't know why they discontinued it. I can tell you that word of mouth, and word from Alan Stoker is that the gearcase is definately the week link in that set-up. From what I have been told, the bearing carrier's are not pressed in the case like the Merc's and tend to blow out the side.
One other disadvantage is they are heavy, heavy, beasts. Good Luck.

Kim Hanson
03-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MANIC MECHANIC
Why did OMC discontinue production of this eng?
Is it a good eng, or does it have problems?
Are there performance parts still available for it?
Is this eng to heavy for a 21' Daytona?
Any info would be appreciated.
Tim
I read somewhere they stopped making them cause the Drug runners would get them and nothing could catch them:cool:
It is a good engine, if you use the best of everything on her...Oils, gas..sparkplugs..etc
Mine is an 85 and I can still get parts here in Canada, fly wheel was a little iffy.
I run a 275-340 hp V-8 Rude on a 20.6 HST Hydrostream, boat is 900lbs. that engine is 565lbs. Mine handles it no problem, get hydralic steering though! Under hard acceleration, you can't move the steering wheel to the left..you can't turn into the torque...right turns fast:D
This is my HST.........( . )( . ).....It's all engine
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72kimsHST6-med.jpg:cool:

W. Tripp
03-25-2004, 06:11 AM
There are a few V8 Daytonas running around CA and AZ. Allan Stoker has built a few that will RUN. The issue with the consumer V8 is reliability if you are trying to get them to rev - don't. They are dead reliable and produce tons of torque - make use of it.
The F1 V8 were amazing. I know of a few that make a REAL 500hp after a bit of work. Bruce Mason in the Chicago area is setting up his Seabold drag hull for racing this year on Motec engine management - it should be a tough competitor.
I hope this helps,

sorry dog
03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Good to see you hear Wayne.
I appreciate the birthday wishes.

Forkin' Crazy
03-26-2004, 02:43 PM
The main complaint I have heard was it has so much rotating inertia that if/when it leans one cylinder and a piston sticks, it will snatch the pin out of the piston, or break a rod and then really mess some stuff up. The V6s' will just stick.

MANIC MECHANIC
03-27-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm still here,
Just listenin'.
Tim

dorC
05-12-2004, 09:17 AM
A friend of mine has a 4.0 on a 21' datona. The thing rocks! With the open exhaust, nothing could sound more wicked!

Kim Hanson
05-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by dorC
A friend of mine has a 4.0 on a 21' datona. The thing rocks! With the open exhaust, nothing could sound more wicked!
If you don't have the exhaust open ...you would be a dork!:D .........( . )( . )....I love my V8!

Tom Brown
05-14-2004, 05:42 PM
I have thru-hub exhaust.
Hi Kim. :D

Rexone
05-14-2004, 06:01 PM
I have thru hub exhaust too :(

Tom Brown
05-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
I have thru hub exhaust too :(
Dork. :yuk:
:D :D :D

Rexone
05-14-2004, 07:55 PM
For 2 decades I've wondered why people continuously call me that. Now I finally have the answer. Who knew? :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
05-14-2004, 09:56 PM
LOL!
I wonder how much power the offshore mid has over the fishing mid. The offshore mid probably has a better hole shot because of the reduced depth choke but I wonder how much. I'm skeptical about top end power claims.
I'd rather have things a little quieter if the power is similar.
-- Tom (dork) Brown

sorry dog
05-18-2004, 07:27 AM
I think its time for you to get a swirly so that you remember your place :jawdrop:

Kim Hanson
05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
:D Too funny, Tom and Rexone are " DORKS ".........( . )( . ).....I was a dork with my old Banshee if that is any consulation :D

markt111
07-14-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm new to outboards, have a 1994 250 Hp ocean runner, how do I open the exhaust up? what other mods can be done to this motor ? what type of difference would it make? was thinking of removing the air box, would I have to rejet or anything?

ttmott
08-03-2004, 06:17 PM
I have an Evinrude 225 Looper on a Gambler 206SS. The engine has a bullet with low water pickup and raised exhaust. It also has a Nitrox system with alcohol washdown. The intake box has not been modified and I do not recomend any changes; seems to mess up the carb calibrations. I did try to run the V8 carbs on it but they created a bad lean condition so the stock units jetted are now on. The problem with these engines is the shaft length and factory trim; I cannot jack it high enough with the Land & Sea jack plate and cannot trim out enough. At least to my liking. Trying to figure out a way to take about 3-inches from the shaft length. The factory trim needs improvement for both speed and power on trimming out.
Other than these issues the engine is bullet proof. Oh Yea always run the best oil. I use Klotz or Yamalube (sp). If it's going to be a hard running full throttle day I use the Klotz Castor. The Alcohol always has Klotz mix in it.