PDA

View Full Version : Thought some of you gun people might like this

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 09:00 AM
I grew up about 10 minutes from Salinas and it is really crime ridden now. This guy got one of the scumbags:
Posted on Tue, Mar. 23, 2004
Man shoots, kills one of three robbers
He frees self after being tied up
By CLARISSA ALJENTERA
claljentera@montereyherald.com
The intended victim of a home-invasion robbery at a Salinas apartment complex early Monday fatally shot one of three intruders, police said.
Sgt. Michael Groves said the intruders, two men and a woman, burst into the East Romie Lane apartment before 6 a.m. and threatened the occupant at the point of a gun, which turned out to be a pellet gun. Groves said the intruders tied the tenant up and left him alone in a room while they ransacked the second-floor apartment.
Police withheld the name of the intended victim but friends and neighbors identified him as Brian Barr, 23.
Barr managed to free himself and get his own gun before confronting the trio and fatally shooting the man armed with the pellet gun, identified by police as John Herrera, 34.
Groves said Herrera was shot several times. Neighbors reported hearing at least six shots.
The woman and the other man fled and were being sought. Police provided no descriptions.
Police said the woman's role apparently was to persuade Barr to open the door. Groves said the intended victim opened the door slightly before the group forced it open.
Police said they were continuing to investigate, but the incident appeared to be a case of justifiable homicide, so Barr was not arrested.
Barr, son of Monterey County Superintendent of Schools Bill Barr, could not be reached for comment later Monday.
"The tenants are traumatized," said the apartment complex manager, who didn't want to be identified. "It was graphic. It makes my tenants feel very violated."
A neighbor of Barr's reported seeing Herrera's body on the stairs of the complex.
"It was a random crime," the neighbor said. "I think what he (Barr)did was justified."
"This is very rare for this neighborhood," he continued. "Nothing like this has happened before. A few people were traumatized, but more are concerned about Brian."
Nearly a year ago, Barr was credited with helping to catch a man who had robbed Monterey Bay Bank in Salinas, where Barr was then working as a teller.
Barr and a passing motorist, Tom Bruno of Seaside, joined forces after the April 9 robbery at the South Main Street bank, and gave chase as the robber ran.
Barr, who played football for Salinas High School, tackled the robber at a nearby apartment complex and helped hold him for police.

Laveyman
03-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Stupid focker! Bringing a BB gun to a real gun fight! Darwin's Theory at its best!

Dave C
03-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Salinas is a f'ing dump.
You know in Frisco the owner would be brought up on homicide charges. This is not a joke either because it did happen.

v-drive
03-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Salinas is a dump. To bad he had to kill that guy before he found out who the others were.I bet the chicken shits come back..
:mad: v'drive

Laveyman
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by v-drive
Salinas is a dump. To bad he had to kill that guy before he found out who the others were.I bet the chicken shits come back..
:mad: v'drive
I'll take that bet. If the last time me and my crime partners went into a palce one of us came out in a body bag, that is the last place I'd be going back to! 2 out of 3 survival ratio is not good. 1 out of 2 is even worse! Even a stupid crook SHOULD be able to figure this one out.

mirvin
03-23-2004, 10:03 AM
:D :D :D ;)

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Last stakeout I was on (check cashing stores in San Fernando Valley), we had several locations that had been robbed at gun point/shots fired at the locations on tape. One of the store owners, after being shot at, pulled out his Uzi and fired 5 rounds at the bad guys, no hits. Needless to say, I doubt the idiots had any intention of returning to a store where they knew they were in for a gunfight, that goes against their nature (to actually confront an armed combatant).

hd&boatrider
03-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by LOWRIVER2
Last stakeout I was on (check cashing stores in San Fernando Valley), we had several locations that had been robbed at gun point/shots fired at the locations on tape. One of the store owners, after being shot at, pulled out his Uzi and fired 5 rounds at the bad guys, no hits. Needless to say, I doubt the idiots had any intention of returning to a store where they knew they were in for a gunfight, that goes against their nature (to actually confront an armed combatant).
That check cashing store is probably one of my customers. They were always having to deal with that kind of shit. A job I would not want. One time my brother was getting ready to go in and service the phone system. This was at a store in SC LA...anyhow, my brother always wears good tennis shoes because he wants to be comfortable. He had on some Jordans and this one brotha was going in to cash a check. He told my brother before he went in that when he came out he was going to take his shoes from him....lol We ended up servicing them another day :)

Ducatista
03-23-2004, 10:40 AM
The store owner had good taste in personal protection! Did he get arrested for discharging the Uzi or have the gun confiscated?

WaterBox
03-23-2004, 01:16 PM
It's too bad he didn't spread out the six shot's and bag the other two scumbag's. What's the bag limit over there now anyway.?:D

NastyOne
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
****in Hero! He should have got the other two bitches.

MudPumper
03-23-2004, 01:33 PM
If 3 people busted into my house, and I was able to get to my gun, all 3 people would be leaving in body bags!!!!!!

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
No, store owner was totally justified to use deadly force.
This was the second robbery by the same assholes. The video clearly shows the lead gunman SHOOT at the owner's feet to get him to move faster. The owner was not able to grab the Uzi until they were exiting.
Follow up note:
These assholes were rounded up by coincidence on the third day of the stakeouts. One of the group was caught in Newton division in a G ride. He gave up his crew and all were arrested the same day. Good for them, they would have been filled with .12 gauge slug and .223 rounds if they had tried to show up at any of the stores they had hit over the last 3 prior weeks.

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 02:50 PM
The Uzi was not confiscated,

superdave013
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
If you broke into my house with a pellet gun my dogs would eat your ass no question.
Only gun I have now is a 30-30. Not the best but I think it'ed do ok up against a freaking bb gun. But then again it would go through him and through the house next door. I need to get another shot gun I guess.

MudPumper
03-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Lowriver, you need to teach that store owner how to properly employ that Uzi. None of those guys should have made it out of there.

burbanite
03-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Just another in a never ending line of examples as to why it is absolutely imperative that every law abiding citizen should have the right to own a gun.
I just cannot for the life of me see how these gun grabbing pricks get away with as much as they do in the face of the mountain of irrefutable evidence that private gun ownership creates a safer environment. Take that insane George Soros for example, as a result of his ruthless, self serving rampage over your Second Amendment rights he has single handedly placed more people in danger than anyone I know. He should be tried for his actions.
It is good to read articles like this as this kind of thing hardly ever gets reported in a way that truly reflects the number of times a day a gun is used in self defense, the media would much rather focus on the negative when the reality is that guns save more lives each day than they would like you to believe.

Laveyman
03-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
If 3 people busted into my house, and I was able to get to my gun, all 3 people would be leaving in body bags!!!!!!
This is my idea of gun control...MAKING SURE YOU HIT YOUR TARGET!!!

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 03:48 PM
Yeah, the owner is an immigrant and is a good example of why I'm all for basic marksmenship training when buying the first gun (only one time). I have no problem with armed citizens but non military folks should be required to attend a 4 hour basic firearms marksmenship class the first time around when buying a gun.
And as crazy as Ca. is:
This state has some of the toughest gun laws, but, in a recent gang shooting in which an innocent citizen was killed by a stray bullet, the L.A. County D.A's office refused to file charges. Why, you ask?
Asshole gang member does drive by on other asshole gang member, misses. Bonehead "victim" gang member fires back, neither are hit, but bullet from "victim" banger kills neighbor in her own house. The D.A. says they won't file because the "victim" banger was defending himself.
I could halfway deal with this theory if Ca. was pro gun ownership, but since they are'nt, how can they side with the asshole gangster, who, in this instance, was banned by law to even possess a firearm.
As if I did'nt realize that I live in a banana republic already/lol.

tewfiddy1
03-23-2004, 03:57 PM
We had one of those bright burglars break into a house the other day here. One didnt come out alive. He was killed by the home owner. The other Burgler was charged with his partners murder.
The home owner wasn't charged.
Life is good

Dave C
03-23-2004, 03:58 PM
the answer to your question is that you need a new D.A.
That is a bunch of B.S.
Thats a homicide not mutual combat....

LASERRAY
03-23-2004, 04:04 PM
A Mossberg 590A1 compact or a Mossberg 500 cruiser would have worked nicely in that situation.:cool:

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Actually, it should be the FELONY MURDER RULE, in which someone dies at the hands of a crime (ie: bank robbery getaway driver takes the murder charge if a co hort kills someone inside),
however the D.A. says the shooter banger was defending himself. Pretty shitty for the citizens of L.A. county, that's for sure.

MudPumper
03-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Lowriver, you are responsible for every bullet you send downrange, why wouldn't the gangbanger also be held responsible? If it was you who fired that bullet, you and the city would be liable. Just another example of the system failing.

77charger
03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Only gun I have now is a 30-30. Not the best but I think it'ed do ok up against a freaking bb gun. But then again it would go through him and through the house next door. I need to get another shot gun I guess. Any gun in the hands of someone will get the job done if there are more scumbags than what your gun holds which 6 want to die trying?
How many times you hear 15-20 shots fired with only 2 hits?

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I'll be the first to say hitting moving targets is a bitch. Throw in some adrenaline, anger, and an ashole shooting back and you,ve got quite a lot to deal with. Paper targets are so much damn easier!/LOL!

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 06:38 PM
You're right MudPumper, things are screwed up. The gangster can be sued in civil court. Of course he probably has no job, lives with five other siblings in Section 8 housing and will end up dead in the next 18 months anyways. I can only imagine the frustration of the family of the innocent victim. Her only crime was being in her own home at the wrong time. That's one of the reasons why I still work in South LA, cause the good folk still outnumber the bad.

JAM
03-23-2004, 11:10 PM
Under a subsection of CA Penal Code 12025, an idenified gang member (through testimony by a local gang expert) in possession of a firearm is guilty of a felony - wheter he shoots it or not.
Chances are he's also a convicted felon, so 12021 PC - Felon in Possession of a Firearm applies.
I'm sure there's more details to the case, but it's just another example of LACO Deputy Filing DA's "showing a lot of love" to crooks. That case should have been filed with the DA's Hardcore Gang Unit which is staffed with aggressive DDA's who prosecute vertically.
I'll step down off my soap box now...

LOWRIVER2
03-24-2004, 02:17 AM
Hey Jam,
You know Cooley had the knowledge to get it filed that way, and he did'nt. The fact that it was most likely filed in Compton court should'nt be forgotten either. I remember D.A.'s refusing to file robbery cases if there were no independent witnesses. I used to tell the filing D.A.'s to go get gas at Imperial/Central at 0200 to find out what's it's like to have a .45 put in their face and robbed....and then realize there's no one around to be a witness. They never took me up on the offer, or changed their policy.
And so it goes....

JAM
03-24-2004, 08:57 AM
No suprise there... here's another one of my favorites.
A few years back, I presented an ADW case to a filing DA. The victim was confronted by a suspect armed with a knife and during the attack, the suspect lightly slashed the victim's shirt and arm.
The injuries would have been much worse except the victim was in pretty good shape and was agile enough to dodge most of the attack before escaping.
The DDA did not want to file the felony ADW, stating the victim received only mnor wounds which did not require hospitalization. Instead, he was leaning towards a misdemeanor charge.
Frustrated, I asked him, "So in the future, should I tell my victims to stand still and take it like a man to ensure that suspect makes it to prison on a felony?" To go further, I told him to put one of his loved ones as the victim in the same incident and asked if he would reach the same conclusion.
Not to sound like a walking PC, but I also pointed out to him that 245 PC only requires an assault "likely to produce gross bodily injury", the key word being "likely", not that it has to be some traumatic wound.
Bottom line: I got the felony filing and Joe Shit the Ragman went to prison.

LOWRIVER2
03-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Good to hear,
We had a guy break into a house, rape the female victim 3 times in 3 hours, and then fire 5 rounds of .44 magnum at responding officers (he set off the silent burglar alarm 3 hours into the crime)
Officers fired back, striking him twice.
He got 155 years for every possible count they could pin on him. Why you ask? The victim was a 20+year veteran DDA. Funny how they put the bad guys away when they attack one of their own.
Impartial filing?....yeah right.

JAM
03-25-2004, 01:57 PM
True...true...