PDA

View Full Version : Any downsides to a jet?

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Thinking about going to a jet. Any downsides to it except for the obvious? Mostly go to the colorado and local lakes when the funds are low. Dont know much about them except that Ill be able to go thru shallower areas than with an outdrive....Thanks

HCS
03-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Gas hog. And most of them don't steer worth a shit.

HavasuDreamin'
03-23-2004, 09:25 AM
BBC and a jet are about as fast as a SBC and an alpha in a 21' boat...............they are ineffecient. Oh yes..........gas guzzler. :p

HighRoller
03-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Gas hog. And most of them don't steer worth a shit.
I disagree. A jetboat will turn circles around any boat with a prop, as long as you remember a jet is steered with the throttle as much as the steering wheel. As far as advantages, they are numerous.
1.)You don't have to worry about too much horespower, for the most part. Most stock pumps will handle up to 800HP.
2.)You can replace an entire pump assembly for less than a lower unit on an outdrive.
3.)Maintenance consists of grease. That's it.
4.)Jets accelerate harder and pull skiers better.
5.)Never worry about a prop hurting someone.
6. ROOST!!!!!
They do use more gas than a prop boat, but if you tune it right a jet will get pretty good mileage. My buddy's Bahner with an LS-6 engine gets 3.5MPG at cruising speed. Good enough to go from Laughlin-Havasu and back without filling up.

HCS
03-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Upside...You can pic up a used one up pretty cheep.
Iv'e driven some jets that turn very well, and I've been in
others that won't turn at all. Must be the set up.:boxed:

Jbb
03-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Lets not forget Barneys favorite saying....Chicks dig Jetboats!!..:D

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 09:41 AM
They do use more gas than a prop boat, but if you tune it right a jet will get pretty good mileage. My buddy's Bahner with an LS-6 engine gets 3.5MPG at cruising speed. Good enough to go from Laughlin-Havasu and back without filling up.
That must be one large fuel tank. Then what kinda mileage does a prop boat with a 5.0 get, to compare. Would have thought most members here had jets as opposed to outdrives.

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Lets not forget Barneys favorite saying....Chicks dig Jetboats!!..
I actually think thats true!!:mad: :D :D

Unchained
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
The fact is, There are pro's and con's to EVERY marine drive.
I would say that the IO is probably the best all around, but every one I know that puts any HP to it above stock has repeated expensive breakage problems.
That and the obvious grinding the prop on the bottom problems.

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 09:47 AM
That and the obvious grinding the prop on the bottom problems.
Thats my main reason for wanting to change over to a jet. Im thinking the steering thing is prolly around the same as an outdrive. How much steering can that little skeg provide? Not much Im thinking.

Speedin' Ian
03-23-2004, 10:01 AM
pull skiers better
Definately don't agree with that, but jets do have their advantages and disadvantages, just like any other type of propulsion system. Just go out there and drive some different boats and see what you think. I'm not sure what kind of boating experience you have, but it always makes me nervous when people with little or no boating experience jump into a jet (or any boat for that matter) because you really have to know how to drive one. Like someone above said you steer with the gas peddle as much as you do with the wheel. A lot of people don't realize that and get in trouble because the first thing they do in a tight situation is get out of the throttle.

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Have you seen the guys that own jet boats?
Do you reallly want to be put in that category?

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I've owned both drive types. I like them both. But like others said, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Both are cool in my book. Whatever floats your boat....
To me the best things about a jet are the roost and coming out of the hole strong (but a prop can be set up to rollover pretty quick too). And the big plus is the ability to run in shallower water without breaking the bank. HOWEVER, I've seen more guys run over rock bars in Jets than I/O's. I think most peeps driving I/O's are more careful generally. The cost of a lower unit and stainless prop forces you to be! Sometimes a jet can lead to a false sense of security in shallower water.
The advantages of a prop are generally greater efficiency and better overall hull lift. You will cruise at lower rpms and the ride of a prop boat in the same hull will be better than a jet.

Mandelon
03-23-2004, 10:11 AM
I've had both, and have both now. The jet is better suited for shallower and flatter water and I/Os are typically better for rougher and deeper water.
I've dinged up a lot of props and skegs at the river around Avi and Laughlin, but never had a problem with the jet. Never worried about anyone getting hurt or cut on the prop. The props always seem to cost $100 more out there than they do at home.
The roost is a lot of fun but of no real use other than showing off.
Control with a jet is great especially around docks and other boats. You can spin it right around and not worry about clunking in and out of gear.
Ropes in the water can wrap around a prop or get sucked into the intake....so I'd figure thats a wash....
The wake is a little rougher behind the jet, so it makes wakeboarding a little looser in the wake.
I went back to a prop boat cuz we wanted something bigger, and to keep the wifey happy.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by TANG-INATOR
Thats my main reason for wanting to change over to a jet. Im thinking the steering thing is prolly around the same as an outdrive. How much steering can that little skeg provide? Not much Im thinking.
If you know how to drive a jet it will turn sharper than an outdrive. I can turn around damn near in my own wake. back of the gas turn wheel all the way and mash on the gas and it will damn near swap ends. low speed turning (no wake zones) sucks but you get used to that. skag has little effect but is noticable on my boat. Oh yeah you can stop REALLY fast in a jet too!! just jerk the reverse gate down and it will almost stop dead in its tracks. this operation is not suggested (especially in a low profile jet) but is there in case of emergency. I have done it only once!
Jet will drink gas but every boat I have ever seen drinks gas. my dad's 200 outboard included.
another good + for jets is you can freshen up the pump for less than $300 if you don't need an impeller. simple design low maintenance.
BTW I can pull 3 skiers up with my boat but it is a axial pump. less top speed but more grunt from the get if you are into skiing. My boat makes a great ski boat.
Omega

superdave013
03-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Coming from a hard corp v-drive guy.......
Jet boats are FUN! Bottom line
You can pick up a good used one for a good price. Jet pumps do break too but nothing like an outdrive when it comes to $$$ for fixing it. And they last a hella long time.
If you're looking for a boat 21' and under a jet will be lots of fun.

riverbound
03-23-2004, 10:19 AM
The downside of a jet is towing the prop boats after they hit bottom :D

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
I'll take this opportunity to shamelessy promote Eagle boats again.
You sound like a perfect candidate for a Eagle Aluminum boat. Shallow river running or lakes.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/259mod8a-med.jpg
You can even drive them onto the beach!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/259shame_19_1_-med.jpg
Eagle dealer in Colorado;
Rocky Mountain Jet Boat
Colorado Springs
719-473-3665
Check out Eagle's site for more info.
:D

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 10:20 AM
My former 21 jet was a blast to drive. It was great around the docks. It had the large Place Diverter Rudder and tracked great with very minimal bow steer at idles speeds. I could practically turn the boat around 180 degrees in its own length. But that could be done with an I/O too. Just takes time to get used to one or the other.
The only thing a 21 can do sometimes is suck air into the intake at slow speeds when turning really hard (with the boat leaned up on one side) if you hammer the throttle.

Jbb
03-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Do you reallly want to be put in that category?
It IS an elite group.....Dont be angry at the rejected application Jeff...You can always re-apply in 6 months....and as always I will put in a good word for you!....:D

Jbb
03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
RD Sux.........:D

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 10:27 AM
RD, you need to be converted. Come up to Maryville Cal June 19 / 26 for the World Jetboat Marathon and see some real "riverboats" in action. You have seen too many floating beercoolers:D driven by jet drives.

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok how about a show of hands to see who has what? Jet or I/O...And now for a dumb question. Where can I get more info on how jets work? Thanks for all the input so far. Looks like a tie?:frown:

BADBLOWN572
03-23-2004, 10:30 AM
I grew up on Jets, but now own an IO. Love both. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish

superdave013
03-23-2004, 10:30 AM
River Dave,
Those are all good points but guess what?
Jet Boats are still fun!
If I had 5-6K to spend I would look for a clean lil jet boat. Bet I'ed find a pretty nice one too.

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
It IS an elite group.....Dont be angry at the rejected application Jeff...You can always re-apply in 6 months....and as always I will put in a good word for you!....:D
I rest my case.

DeltaSigBoater
03-23-2004, 10:57 AM
Everyone should own at least one Jet Boat in there life.

Tom Brown
03-23-2004, 11:04 AM
:eek:
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/jbb.jpg
Originally posted by RiverDave Funny the hardest turning thing on the planet (literally) happens to be a prop boat.. Formula 1 tunnels ARE the hardest turning vehicle of any kind on the planet..
Right... except for a Formula 1 car which these days pull up to 4.5g through the 180R at Spa.
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN You can always re-apply in 6 months....
... because paint fumes will have long since cleansed their memories of your existence.
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
Everyone should own at least one Jet Boat in there life.
http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
While I'm here, I'll just mention that Buddhism is the best religion. :D

Hustler
03-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I'd be willing to bet that most of the guys in the jet forum have more into their pumps then I have in my Bravo I.
Not true, remember the hat incident?:rolleyes:
Seems like everyone in the jet section is working on their boats day in and day out.. All the guys with the daycruiser I/O's are planning their next river trips.
Again, Not true, My boat has been very reliable and turn key and needed vertually nothing in the past five years:D

Brodie
03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Thinking about going to a jet. Any downsides to it except for the obvious? ....Thanks
Obvious downside = alwayes bein mistayken for a HOMO.
dang.

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Hustler
My boat has been very reliable and turn key and needed vertually nothing in the past five years:D
How's that stereo install?
Most jets are held together with a wing and a prayer (and a zip-tie, paperclip, chewing gum, etc.)

Tom Brown
03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Any downsides to it except for the obvious?
You mean the laughing and pointing? :D

Hustler
03-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Whats wrong with the stereo?:confused:
And I'll have you know I only used one pack of gum and half a box of paper clips:yuk: :D Oh and I still pray every night before I go to bed;)

HCS
03-23-2004, 11:21 AM
How's that stereo install?
Most jets are held together with a wing and a prayer (and a zip-tie, paperclip, chewing gum, etc.)
My buddy goes thru a motor every season with his 21' Tahiti
454 jet boat. Not to mention crack stringers, oil everywhere and
lots of electrical tape.

Tom Brown
03-23-2004, 11:27 AM
dentine ice promotes good oral hygene.

flat broke
03-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
SURVEY SAIS!!!
Funny the hardest turning thing on the planet (literally) happens to be a prop boat.. Formula 1 tunnels ARE the hardest turning vehicle of any kind on the planet.. and they are "prop" boats.
Bullshit... Seems like all the jet guys are always saying that, but I've seen a "mild" 509 twist a shaft.. Then you get into all sorts of crazy shit trying to make that 800 HP actually do anything. For example: detailing impellers, pump setup, inducer, droop, or snoot, etc.. etc...
I'd be willing to bet that most of the guys in the jet forum have more into their pumps then I have in my Bravo I.
Seems like everyone in the jet section is working on their boats day in and day out.. All the guys with the daycruiser I/O's are planning their next river trips.
Makes you wonder why if they accelerate harder that their not "top dawg" at the drag boat races? Fact of the matter is they don't accelerate better then a prop. Several Top Fuel Hydro's will attest to that. As for pulling skiers? You'd think you'd see more of them at the ski races if that were the case, and nobody would buy a tournament boat if that were true. Fact of the matter is if you get a guy that can really ski hard, he'll be pulling the back end of a jetboat around with him. Tourny boats and I/O's have the ass end planted.. Jet's do that slippy slide shiznit.
You could get hurt getting out of bed in the morning too.
Ever seen a surface drive?
River"Can you tell which side of the fence I'm on?"Dave :D [/B][/QUOTE]
Dave,
You're really stretching things a bit here. I know the boards are slow and we need a nice little discussion to liven things up, but please...
Funny the hardest turning thing on the planet (literally) happens to be a prop boat.. Formula 1 tunnels ARE the hardest turning vehicle of any kind on the planet.. and they are "prop" boats.
Ever ridden in a sprint boat? They're not sporting those Reccaros for looks. Since you don't have any proof to back your statement (I'll accept measured g forces from all types of race boats/propulsion types as proof), sounds like its an opinion
I'd be willing to bet that most of the guys in the jet forum have more into their pumps then I have in my Bravo I Are you including the initial purchase price of your B1? Considering the guys you are talking about bought their projects for around 5k for the whole boat then drop another 2k into the pump, I think they could afford to buy you a 30 pack every trip for the rest of their lives and still not catch up with the initial expenditure associated with the drive on the boat you use.
Seems like everyone in the jet section is working on their boats day in and day out.. All the guys with the daycruiser I/O's are planning their next river trips
The same thing could be said about the V'drive guys. The difference here isn't between propulsion types, but rather the type of people who own the boats. The jetters you alude to, as well as their V-drive kin that you omit are a lot like the guys you'll see around the auto swap. Always looking for that next part for the project THEY have been working on, putting together with their own hands, for however many years. The I/O guys you are refering to, and yourself included are more like the folks that pull up to Coddington's say, How much for a nice 55'? then show up with a check when the car is built. Nothing wrong with either way of doing things, but neither is a reflection on the propulsion type.
Fact of the matter is if you get a guy that can really ski hard, he'll be pulling the back end of a jetboat around with him. Tourny boats and I/O's have the ass end planted.. Jet's do that slippy slide shiznit.
More hearsay from Dave the guru. Sorry bud, but if you took the 3 stabilizing fins off those tourney boats, they'd get pulled out of shape by a strong skier pulling balls too. The only reason it's not as bad with an I/O is because the lower unit on most family deals sits pretty low and acts as a resistance to the movement. Truth be told, the older Nautiques, could be pulled around a lot more than the current models because of changes in the hull design on the last 4-6' of the runing surface.
I'm not trying to cap on you Dave, but really, you're talking out of your ass on a lot of these topics. You're truths are based on observations rather than 1st hand experiences or facts backed by data.
There are plenty of turn key squirtboats that are out running all the time, some of em even haul ass. Just like there are guys that forever have their I/Os in the shop because they keep torching them. You can argue this either way if you choose to omit this, play to that, and keep a very subjective stance. The bottom line is if jet's sucked so badly, they wouldn't still be around. The same could be said for I/Os and V-drives.
You know I have nothing against you, but when you perpetually come in half cocked with your BS about, "the world according to Dave" it gets a little trite. Now get your ass back to work on your project. :D
Chris

Jbb
03-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey RD.........:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860181giff_ass_kicked.gif

sorry dog
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Get a jet.
The roostertails are awesome.
http://kimhanson1.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tombrown.jpg

HavasuDreamin'
03-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
Ever ridden in a sprint boat? They're not sporting those Reccaros for looks. Since you don't have any proof to back your statement (I'll accept measured g forces from all types of race boats/propulsion types as proof), sounds like its an opinion
Chris
In RD's defense, if you have ever read any of the F-1 articles in ***boat over say the last ..........20 years, you would know that the F-1 boats are commonly referred to by the "indsutry professionals" as the hardest turning machines around. They will pull better than 4g's in a turn according to the artciles. Now don't go asking me to dig them up, that is more work than it is worth. ;)
Having said that, it does appear as though those Aussie sprint jet boats turn pretty hard, but I haven't read much about them.
HD :cool:

Tom Brown
I can't say that I care for the most recent turn in this thread. :(

Froggystyle
I like jets. Please note that jets is plural, not just decriptive of the genre... :D
I like all boats, and all drives. They are all very usefull in certain areas. Jets main selling point to me is shallow water dominance, combined with safety. I have a variety of other welcome plusses, such as holeshot, reliability, durability, simplicity, ease of maintenance, initial expense and roost. Other even more important welcome benefits include maneuverability, ease of operation, a great "limp home" capacity should something break or go tragically wrong. In every one of these ancillary benefits, the jet surpasses the outdrive. The outdrive does have multiple benefits as well in which it comes out on top. They include availability, commonality with a majority of boaters, some fuel economy savings, and they do work very well with smaller power, which CAN translate to a lower cost of initial purchase, but rarely does. The last, and most important aspect of jet ownership is that is a total blast. They are by far the most fun of all the drives in my opinion. They are just fun to drive. Plain and simple.
I happened to have a shaft twist on my "mild" 509 (670 hp) that Dave is referring to, but it turned out to be a bad shaft in a bad batch and was replaced for free. In addition, it never failed, and never even gave me any reason to think to was partially damaged because it was only evident upon disassembly. Also in addition, it likely happened when I sucked some of my 13mm Blue Water climbing rope into it when I sucked my anchor line. Hardly the fault of the hardware.
In any case, like I said, each have an advantage and disadvantage. I personally prefer a small outboard with a M.A.R.S. dewatering system in it for pushing out the back of a plane over the ocean, parachuting it to the surface, inflating the Zodiac and going on a mission. I also prefer it for locking out of a submarine and floating it to the surface and doing the same thing with.
For what you are looking to do, I would humbly suggest that a jet would likely be the best choice for your operating area.

manuel
03-23-2004, 12:07 PM
I like the simplicity of jets, an Alpha has about 8 bearings and a few bushings and 5 gears, about 50 moving parts, a jet has 1 bearing and 1 bushing (or 2 bearings) zero gears, 1 moving part.
It all depends on your type of boating, and your water conditions,
I have owned I/O (single & twins) outboards, direct drive inboard,
A 14' Zodiac w/outboard
and a 14' wooden rowboat (slow quiet moolight row,women love it!) I now have a jet because it suits my needs at the moment and it's great, next week who knows?, if you have a flock of kids in the water when you boat then you can't beat a jet, but if you're talking anything over 22'-24' then a jet can't compete, (personal opinion, mines a 25') mine handles better than my inboard did and takes me places props can't, I don't care about using more fuel because it's still cheaper than anything else the whole family can do together for a whole day.
spring is here! enjoy WHATEVER you got that floats.

Froggystyle
03-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by manuel barje
... but if you're talking anything over 22'-24' then a jet can't compete
Wait until May... ;)

sandblasted
03-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Just what is wrong with zip ties and bailing wire???
I broke the mount for my reverse shifter behind the side panel last summer on my jet and we ended up using zip ties to keep the bucket in the upright position...I was able to keep boating all weekend with a few zip ties!! who needs reverse anyways! :D

j-rod
03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
jetboats blow!:D

HARDIN18
03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
I have grown up on the rivers and lakes around me and have had a lot of experience with both i/o and jets. They both are great drives.
To put it simple. If you want to stick to lakes get an i/o. If you are more into the river get a jet. If you want to do both I would also stick with a jet. Its not fun hiting a prop on a sand bar. Kind of ruins the weekend.

manuel
03-23-2004, 12:28 PM
FROGGYSTYLE thats not fair "wait until May" ??? I won't be able to sleep what have you got cookin'?, how 'bout a little hint ?,

manuel
03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
One more point, if you want to get rid of a spouse you DON'T want a jet, this is from last June but still good.
http://reddingemployment.com/news/past/20030625toplo024.shtml

HCS
03-23-2004, 12:58 PM
One more point, if you want to get rid of a spouse you DON'T want a jet, this is from last June but still good.
http://reddingemployment.com/news/past/20030625toplo024.shtml
In that situation you definitly need a prop.

MudPumper
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
According to police reports filed in Shasta County Superior Court, Nelson encouraged his wife to drink five or six wine coolers during their boat trip and then shoved her overboard, hoping she would drown.
When she didn't, he ran over her three times with the family's boat, a 1973 Sleekcraft jet boat, the police reports said.
The boat embedded a metal piece of its underside in her arm, and she also suffered gashes to her shoulder and arm, the reports said.
Kari Nelson was eventually able to climb back into the boat and used a cellular phone to call her sister for help.
She, however, has said she does not believe her husband should be prosecuted for what she considers an accident
Stupid bitch climbed back in the boat??????? And thinks it was an accident. WTF
By the way, I have a jet boat and have been working on it for the last 3 hours!!!!!:D

flat broke
03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Brand New Berk with Diverter http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=150-B-07337JI
Swap your old POS for the same new berk.
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=150-B-07338JI
Only off by about double.
Chris

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Last I checked a brand new pump including all the hardware was about $2K. Add a place diverter and a pump blueprint and your at about $3.5K or so max......
Most lower units cost at least $4K installed then add $500 for a prop.

Phil Deez Knutts
03-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Skiing behind a jet boat sucks. It might be fine for the recreational guys with a beer or two in them. Pulling the back of the boat around is only one thing, Slowing the boat down is another. I don't know anybody with PerfectPass on their jet boat.
The actual jet is pretty durable. It is usually the loose nut behind the wheel with a lead foot that is the cause of most of their troubles.

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Not all jetboats are pulled around by strong slalom skiers. My former 21 jet boat was every bit as stable as our old 19 mastercraft comp boat.
But the wake was actually more fun on the 21. To me the only downside to skiing behind a jet is a little turbulance.

superdave013
03-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, did anyone say that driving a jet boat is fun?

superdave013
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Phil Deez Knutts
Skiing behind a jet boat sucks. It might be fine for the recreational guys with a beer or two in them. Pulling the back of the boat around is only one thing, Slowing the boat down is another. I don't know anybody with PerfectPass on their jet boat.
The actual jet is pretty durable. It is usually the loose nut behind the wheel with a lead foot that is the cause of most of their troubles.
Man I hear ya on that one. But if you look at the other side. Those Comp boats are only good for sking. Other then that they are pretty boring all the way around. I grew up with those types of boats. I can have more fun driving a 12' fishing boat with a 20 merc than my old man's correct craft.

HCS
03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Skiing behind a jet is for long rope skiers. Anyone that's a serious
skier that likes speed and a short rope knows that it's imposible
to ski behind a jet boat. Unless you want to kill yourself.

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
Hey guys, did anyone say that driving a jet boat is fun?
I believe that was mentioned, but it's worth saying again.
Jetboats are really fun to drive. :D
1. Chicks like em and you can jump beaver dams

Angie
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
I miss all of our previously owned jet boats. :(

HCS
03-23-2004, 02:42 PM
I owned an outboard once.:p

superdave013
03-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Skiing behind a jet is for long rope skiers. Anyone that's a serious
skier that likes speed and a short rope knows that it's imposible
to ski behind a jet boat. Unless you want to kill yourself.
lol, I bet my brother and his crew coud turn a jet boat almost sideways if they skied behind one at 20' off. Even behind a 24' I/O there is no way you could keep it going straight down the coruse. Gotta give a comp boat "props" for the way they pull and track. Next best thing is a v drive cruiser and it's even fun to drive ta boot. :) Well as long as ya don't jump beaver dams with it.

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey now! This must be the jetboat crowd. Sounds like Im hearing jets might be a good thang. Almost forgot what my original question was. Anyone know a website I could learn how jets work? Dont know much about em.

miller19j
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
River(jet boat hater)dave

miller19j
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey now! This must be the jetboat crowd. Sounds like Im hearing jets might be a good thang. Almost forgot what my original question was. Anyone know a website I could learn how jets work? Dont know much about em. Try this one
http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Jet-Drives/239.htm

superdave013
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey now! This must be the jetboat crowd. Sounds like Im hearing jets might be a good thang. Almost forgot what my original question was. Anyone know a website I could learn how jets work? Dont know much about em.
Go to the Just Jets forum and ask.

Tom Brown
03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Anyone know a website I could learn how jets work?
How jets work (http://http://www.howstuffworks.com/water-blaster.htm)

Sleek-Jet
03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Suck and squeeze... blow and go. :D

HARDIN18
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Most Jet boat owners I know look at there boat as a hobby and are into boating for there boats. They actually feen to drive there boat's. Driving a jet boat seems to almost be a sport to a lot of them.
Most I/O owners I know have there boats to get them to the channel to drink beers and party, then to the sandbar - drink beers and party. Don't get me wrong I love to do this but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a boat that is basecly (sp) a water taxi cab.
I like boating for the sport of boating not the sport of parting.

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 03:24 PM
The base facts have been posted clearly:
For river use and 21ft. and under-go with the jet.
For lake use only or larger than 21ft. Go I/O
Superdave put it best: What about fun to drive?
Go to Ultra, put the 21ft. Stealth (or any 21ft. hull) in the lake/ I think the current jet standard is a 496jet, the other with the 350-I/O
These boats should be pretty close in price within 3-5 grand.
Anyone who can honestly say they have more fun driving the small block I/O clearly should save the money and just buy a Bayliner with the small block. The quicker holeshot with the jet is always more fun to drive than a small block I/O. Put 3-5 extra folks in the boats and watch the small block turn into the real mini van that it is.
If you compare ownership costs for both 21ft. boats over 5 years with routine service, I say the maintenance costs of the I/O (higher) vs. more gas money (jet) even out, or even put the jet ahead. Most rock damaged pumps were cheaper to fix than the bent lower units/props I have seen. A little grease and some gear oil are all the jet needs to stay healthy.
Hell, I think my 502 jet powered 21 LX is a dog, but it will spank a small block powered I/O LX any day of the week.
As for pulling the jet boat. I solved that problem on my 84 19ft. Elim Liberty: I had a billet ski pylon mounted to the front of the engine block, My then 230lb. frame could'nt budge that boat doing hard slalom's once that pylon was installed. But the flat wake of a tournament boat is hard to beat. It's all about what you want to do. If tournament boats are so great, how come all my tourney boat buddie's end up in my boat when the water gets rough? Maybe they want to feel like what it's like to travel on the water faster than 50mph/lol. It's all about use just like buying a computer.
And for pure fun to drive, I must say driving a 18-19ft. Vdrive with 500+ horsepower beats driving any I/O or jet boat because you actually have to DRIVE the boat, not just mash the pedal or hand throttle.

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 03:25 PM
My take is most peeps using boating to some degree for partying activities.
I think there are equal amounts of performance boaters in the Jet and I/O world in the sport for the performance aspects.
Jet peeps are generally more into 1/4 mile thrills.
I/O peeps are more generally into top speed thrills and offshore activities (like running big water and flying their boats)

diggler
03-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Here's an old thread from a little time back that talked about why jet boats are so cool.
Why I own a jetboat (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=39510)

superdave013
03-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
My take is most peeps using boating to some degree for partying activities.
You are prolly right. I am not the norm. I build a boat to drive. Even my 20' v drive has no spot for a cooler and I would rather not have drunks and their cans in my boat.
lol, the way it's comming together now I don't think there is even room for a back seat. To me less seating = less sandy feet

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
You are prolly right. I am not the norm. I build a boat to drive. Even my 20' v drive has no spot for a cooler and I would rather not have drunks and their cans in my boat.
lol, the way it's comming together now I don't think there is even room for a back seat. To me less seating = less sandy feet
I tend to me more on your side of the fence. We drive our boat way more than parking it with a full cooler. 96 hours in one season baby! Use it or sell the sucker!
If all you need a boat for is for partying, just get an aluminum pontoon with a nice reliable 4 stroke honda outboard!

Goodtime$
03-23-2004, 03:45 PM
My last boat was a Jet. The only thing that they are good for are:
1. U wont chop your leg off if you are drunk and stupid.
2. U can destroy annoying jet skiiers with the place diverter
3. There loud, own the gas, and can scoot over shallow water.
4. Dont handle to well with lots of people in the bow etc, chose wisely. IO u can go with a small block, jet big block. Have Fun

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Goodtime$
Dont handle to well with lots of people in the bow etc, chose wisely. \
Your right on with this comment..... I forgot about that one

manuel
03-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Mine's a daycruiser so if you're in the bow you're either sleeping, screwing or using the porta-potti, which doesn't affect my handling since none of these are any fun while underway.
As for burning too much fuel, I use up 40 gal. from 9am until around 5or6pm while having a GREAT time, if gas and being too loud was a big concern I'd get a sailboat, but then I'd have to go spend all that money on the correct clothing and shoes, nawww,

Unchained
03-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Makes you wonder why if they accelerate harder that their not "top dawg" at the drag boat races? Fact of the matter is they don't accelerate better then a prop. Several Top Fuel Hydro's will attest to that. River"Can you tell which side of the fence I'm on?"Dave :D [/B]
So you're comparing a recreational jet boat to a Formula 1 tunnel boat and a top fuel hydro?
Hmmm, Do you also compare your 1972 Pinto to John Force's funny car?

Tom Brown
03-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jungle Boy
Jetboats are really fun to drive. :D
1. Chicks like em and you can jump beaver dams
Hey JB, what are the odds of getting a first hand demonstration this summer?

Havasu Hangin'
03-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by LOWRIVER2
The base facts have been posted clearly:
For river use and 21ft. and under-go with the jet.
For lake use only or larger than 21ft. Go I/O
Superdave put it best: What about fun to drive?
Go to Ultra, put the 21ft. Stealth (or any 21ft. hull) in the lake/ I think the current jet standard is a 496jet, the other with the 350-I/O
These boats should be pretty close in price within 3-5 grand.
Anyone who can honestly say they have more fun driving the small block I/O clearly should save the money and just buy a Bayliner with the small block. The quicker holeshot with the jet is always more fun to drive than a small block I/O. Put 3-5 extra folks in the boats and watch the small block turn into the real mini van that it is.
If you compare ownership costs for both 21ft. boats over 5 years with routine service, I say the maintenance costs of the I/O (higher) vs. more gas money (jet) even out, or even put the jet ahead. Most rock damaged pumps were cheaper to fix than the bent lower units/props I have seen. A little grease and some gear oil are all the jet needs to stay healthy.
Hell, I think my 502 jet powered 21 LX is a dog, but it will spank a small block powered I/O LX any day of the week.
As for pulling the jet boat. I solved that problem on my 84 19ft. Elim Liberty: I had a billet ski pylon mounted to the front of the engine block, My then 230lb. frame could'nt budge that boat doing hard slalom's once that pylon was installed. But the flat wake of a tournament boat is hard to beat. It's all about what you want to do. If tournament boats are so great, how come all my tourney boat buddie's end up in my boat when the water gets rough? Maybe they want to feel like what it's like to travel on the water faster than 50mph/lol. It's all about use just like buying a computer.
And for pure fun to drive, I must say driving a 18-19ft. Vdrive with 500+ horsepower beats driving any I/O or jet boat because you actually have to DRIVE the boat, not just mash the pedal or hand throttle.
Nobody got killed? On drugs? Stole something?
Lowriver...you'd better watch it- you're sounding more and more like a civilian.

Danhercules
03-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Unchained
So you're comparing a recreational jet boat to a Formula 1 tunnel boat and a top fuel hydro?
Hmmm, Do you also compare your 1972 Pinto to John Force's funny car?
I was gonna say the same thing. Stock to stock, jets accelerate better and turn better.

Danhercules
03-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by j-rod
jetboats blow!:D
Your wrong,
They suck and they blow!!!:D :p

Danhercules
03-23-2004, 06:25 PM
The main reason jets a better.....
My buddy thought his Super Soker got me soked!!!!:D

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Well I forgot,
I do carry my work 14" barreled Benelli M1 in the ski locker and a .45 is always near by. Needless to say I don't have the fastest boat, but pitty the fool who tries to cross my path/fiberglass don't stop much/lol.

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Hey JB, what are the odds of getting a first hand demonstration this summer?
Just arrainge a date and we'll take you out. The buds and me are on the river several times a week. Lots of beaver dams jumpers in the crowd. :D

Jbb
03-23-2004, 06:41 PM
Well I forgot,
I do carry my work 14" barreled Benelli M1 in the ski locker and a .45 is always near by. Needless to say I don't have the fastest boat, but pitty the fool who tries to cross my path/fiberglass don't stop much/lol.
Thats better.....I was starting to worry myself.....copper..... :D

Tom Brown
03-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Just arrainge a date and we'll take you out.
I'll definitely take you up on that. :)
Maybe I'll show you what an outboard can do. :eek:

GlastronGuy
03-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Steering a jet boat isn't too hard. It just takes a little skill and knowledge. Most people are stupid and don't understand that. Kind of like most motorcycle riders. They've never heard of counter steering and don't know how to steer (or even know it can be done) a bike.
As far as running a jet in shallow water. I never do it at greater than an idle. I choose to not suck rocks and sand through my pump. When I beach, I coast in with the motor off.

LOWRIVER2
03-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Actually, I describe driving the jet as "positive power", similar to motorcycle riding. They both involve using acceleration to get you out of trouble.
Any other jetters ever thrown your bucket in reverse and hammered the throttle? The thrust acts like a big skag. It does slow the boat down quickly. No I/O can do that.

572Daytona
03-23-2004, 07:28 PM
The turning of the F1 tunnel boats has more to do with the design of the hull than the propulsion method. If you put a jet propelled OB on them they would turn just as fast. I also suspect that their "handling ability" is limited to turning at speed, I doubt if they handle all that well when attempting docking manuevers.
I currently own a jet, an OB and an I/O and the jet is by far the most fun to drive and own, although the others the others have their uses as well depending on what it is you want to do.

Jungle Boy
03-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
As far as running a jet in shallow water. I never do it at greater than an idle. I choose to not suck rocks and sand through my pump. When I beach, I coast in with the motor off.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
That's a different approach!!

FMluvswater
03-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Just arrainge a date and we'll take you out. The buds and me are on the river several times a week. Lots of beaver dams jumpers in the crowd. :D
:o Been lurking in this thread ... when you mentioned jumping beaver dams reminded me of a vid I have on my media player. I had thought you hooked me up with it but it seems it was jl who gave me the link to grab it.
http://www.eagleracing.ca/RMedia/
Are you in that first vid JB? Anyone you know? I like watching those. :) Do you have any of you racing/stunting?

LOWRIVER2
03-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Jets may not turn as hard as F1's but it was'nt that long ago (early 80's)that NJBA had circle jet racing. The liberty hull (Eliminator used later, as did Carrera-bottom) ran against Rogers Bonneville hulls at over 100mph in the turns. Just talk to Jack MCClure of MPD sometime about those boats. Clay Smith Cams owner George S. ran the Honkercraft and can tell you some stories too. Most of those boats had a small skag on them. I even know of one former circle racer who put a skag on his recreational CP! Talk about fun!

TANG-INATOR
03-24-2004, 07:40 AM
Dare I ask. Which jet is best or are they all the same?:p

HCS
03-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Dare I ask. Which jet is best or are they all the same?:p See what happens when you mention Jet boats.:D
You created a super thread.:)

Tom Brown
03-24-2004, 07:53 AM
Just like v and stern drives, jets all the same. The outboard is the choice of the individual.

LOWRIVER2
03-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Most jet drives are designed off of the Berkeley design. The only other major design for rec. jet boats is the Panther.
As for which brand is best/ the arguments would last forever, for recreational purposes, they're all fine. Panthers are probably used the least in the Southwest area but I'm not bagging on them either.

manuel
03-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Unless you're a salmon fisherman or oil rig workboat,
http://www.marinejet.com/home.html

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Most jet drives are designed off of the Berkeley design. The only other major design for rec. jet boats is the Panther.
As for which brand is best/ the arguments would last forever, for recreational purposes, they're all fine. Panthers are probably used the least in the Southwest area but I'm not bagging on them either.
don't forget about the jacuzzi yj. It is a beast all its own and nothing like a panther. same concept though low pressure axial flow pump. great for skiing but not so good if you want to haul major ass!
Omega

EricU
03-24-2004, 10:35 AM
I've had Berkely Jets, Panther Jets, a Schiada V-drive (fast boat)and a Air Natique V-drive (slow boat) --- All have been fun and reliable boats and I have skied and boarded behind all of them.
Get a jet, if you have kids pull off the Bassets, the "Basset Tattoos" suck. If you don't have kids then a tunnel rammed big block running water injected Bassets is bitching. The jet boats are cheap (relatively), low maintenance and have fun.
As for anyone who seriously gives you shit about what drive your boat has, **** em, why give a shit what other people think?
Eric.

riverbound
03-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I drive a jet because my boat was only made with a jet, I also like the safety aspect of a jet ,I have a 2yr old son who loves to swim, The best thing about my boat is....no payments:D

Desert Rat
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
FlatBroke:
RD :
Flat Broke:
Chris I'm working on your "proof" right now... Struggling to find it online, but I've read from several sources that a Formula 1 Tunnel boat is in fact the hardest turning vehicle on the planet.. Tom brown might be correct if in fact a F1 Car can pull 4.5 G's now, but I know that for as long as I can remember the tunnels were the only vehicle that could pull 4+ G's in a corner.
ve·hi·cle
n.
A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle
Now don't get me wrong I am prop guy and always will be but I felt compelled to add my .02
F-16 Fighting Falcon
1. HIGH G LOADS. Previous fighters were designed to take 7Gs, mainly because it was believed that the human pilot, even with a G-suit, could not handle more. The F-16 seatback was reclined 30 degrees, rather than the usual 13 degrees. This was to increase the ability of the pilot to achieve 9Gs by reducing the the vertical distance between head and heart.
And since it is technically a Jet I think we have a winner
:D

manuel
03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
I think I'll get one of those little hitch cover chrome props and stick it on my reverse bucket just to mess with people's heads,

superdave013
03-24-2004, 02:09 PM
I think I'll get one of those little hitch cover chrome props and stick it on my reverse bucket just to mess with people's heads,
Your boat will pick up if you do that! lol

HCS
03-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Here's a squirt boat for sale.
HERE (http://www.dragboats.com/classified/allads.asp)

TANG-INATOR
03-24-2004, 02:46 PM
that 73 hondo looks photo chopped!

canuck1
03-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Well it's time for RD to pull his head out of his ass
1. RD don't own a boat. nevermind one with a bravo 1 (bubbles aint a real boat)
2. A F-1 boat will not out turn a sprint boat. A superboat will turn 5 to 8 G's during a run
3. RD SUCKS:cool:

HCS
03-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by canuck1
Well it's time for RD to pull his head out of his ass
1. RD don't own a boat. nevermind one with a bravo 1 (bubbles aint a real boat)
2. A F-1 boat will not out turn a sprint boat. A superboat will turn 5 to 8 G's during a run
3. RD SUCKS:cool:
RD doesn't own a boat!..................:p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-24-2004, 09:09 PM
Jets are perfect.....I own two!
Hell I love all boats EXCEPT those damn wakeboard boats! All they do is turn around in front of you:mad: and chop up the water:mad:
jets are safe because they have no PROP.
Also, the BLING meter is off the chart when the roostertail is up:D
And for all of you people that say they suck gas.....you are DEAD ASS WRONG. I run a high compression motor with a tunnelram and dual holley 600's and i only burn 1 tank of av gas everytime I go out. Lets see that about 8 hours of boating;) ;)
Plus you get that beautiful ass chromed out motor hanging out of the boat that everyone looks at:D :D
Plus you have a defense mechanism when some asshole gets out of line. You roost his ass and its not fatal. Just a huge wake up call:D
That just my opinion though!