PDA

View Full Version : Removing Exhaust Residue

CARGUY
03-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Anyone have a killer cleaner reccomendation for removing exhaust residue. Looking for a spray on cleaner I can use between outings to keep the back of the boat purty!!
I have tried slick stuff, and "spray cleaner" by driven to perfection, and neither work worth a sh$T.
Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

riverbound
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
I've always sprayed simple green on then meguiars quick detail.

Jetdriver
03-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Funny I was wondering the same thing.

Salty Cracker
03-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I've found that an RV black streak remover spray-on works well and then Meguires Quick Wax mixed with 25% vinegar for the rest of the Gelcoat....also spray outdrive with Shower Power, let sit, and scrub with a toothbrush. Works real good!!! :D
I herd through the grapevine that Warlock25 is gonna start selling some pretty trick shiznit here real soon!!!

MudPumper
03-23-2004, 01:21 PM
"Ducky" for cleaning gel coat

Jetdriver
03-23-2004, 01:24 PM
DUCKY?????

Salty Cracker
03-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
DUCKY?????
Leaves streaks!!!

OGShocker
03-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Windex works as well as anything I have found.. IMO

jackpunx
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
I've always sprayed simple green on then meguiars quick detail.
Ditto on the meguiars magic

Quality Time
03-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I keep a spray bottle with car wash soap mixed with a little water. Spray on, hit with a wash sponge and rinse off with a bucket of lake water you got whan you lef the ramp. Easier on the wax than Simple Green and other cleaners.

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 02:13 PM
409 works great too.

DeltaSigBoater
03-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Stay away from soft scrub and ajax, it might get rid of the residue, but will **** up the gel coat.

al cole'holic
03-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
Stay away from soft scrub and ajax, it might get rid of the residue, but will **** up the gel coat.
..anyone really done this before :eek:

Quality Time
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Use Lime Away on the exhaust tips and drive. No toothbrush scrubbing needed.

Three Days Only
03-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Lime Away or CLR works great on the drives and exhaust tips to remove the lime and hard water. When I had my HP500 & the 496HO, they sooted up the back of the boats real bad. I found the only thing that would get the crap off was cleaner wax. Nothing else worked!!!!!! Lots of cleaner wax that was the ticket. At least the back was always shiney.
Jeff

Havasu_Dreamin
03-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Wipe Clean from Rex works great on the exhaust tips.

Rexone
03-23-2004, 04:07 PM
Wipe Clean is a great product for removing water spots and alkali. It contains a mild acid that won't damage gelcoat or stainless. However keep it off any anodized parts. It will discolor them.

dkreuzen
03-23-2004, 04:34 PM
KABOOM works very good on exhaust tips, spray on, wipe off...

Lakeshow
03-23-2004, 07:34 PM
SunDance is not on Riverracerx that I can see. Whats up with that?

CARGUY
03-23-2004, 07:39 PM
I couldn't find it either. I sent him a pm for further details.

stoker
03-23-2004, 07:45 PM
I have tried Ducky and all the others. Too much work! The stuff that works the best is Goodwinns. It is a fibergalss cleaner meant for tubs and shower stalls. I have been using it for years. Spray it on and wipe it off. No scrubbing! I have found that it is best to wash it off with water once you are done because it tends to attract dust. Its cheap also, around $3.00 a bottle. The only place I can find it is Staer Bros. It works great on many other surfaces also.

OutCole'd
03-23-2004, 07:59 PM
I have not tried it on the exhaust residue, but for general wiping down the boat, I use washwaxall.
Look for it at http://www.washwax.com/

MarkyMark
03-24-2004, 10:10 AM
The best thing that I have used is called Gel-Gloss. It's in a pink spray can and they have it at Home Depot. It's a one step cleaner and polish used for fiberglass, marble and acrylic. It has carnauba wax in it and it works great. I think it cost around $4.00 a can.

Advantage Adam
03-24-2004, 11:35 AM
I use a product called SPRAY 9. I purchase this stuff at ALCO MARINE in havasu. It runs about $12 per bottle. This is also an upholstry cleaner. just my $0.02
Adam

phebus
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by MarkyMark
The best thing that I have used is called Gel-Gloss. It's in a pink spray can and they have it at Home Depot. It's a one step cleaner and polish used for fiberglass, marble and acrylic. It has carnauba wax in it and it works great. I think it cost around $4.00 a can.
Works great, is cheap, is made for fiberglass, shines, protects. It also comes in a can, and you can apply like liquid car wax, and is a cheaper way to go than the spray.

jackpunx
03-24-2004, 01:50 PM
can you use this for a full wipe down after getting out of the water?

mbrown2
03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by MarkyMark
What section of Home Depot do they sell it in?

CARGUY
03-24-2004, 02:04 PM
I took Marky Mark's rec and went and purchased a bottle of gel-gloss. I just used it on a pos stand-up ski we took as a trade in on a new truck, and that sh*t really works. I sprayed it on some caked on exh residue and it lifted right off with very little elbow grease. I am going back to Home Depot to stock-up!!
I think I will still use Driven spray cleaner for general wipe-down(I think it is less costic) but this gel-gloss worked great on exh stains.
Thanks for all the info.

phebus
03-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
What section of Home Depot do they sell it in?
I got it from the plumbing fixture section. They sell it for cleaning/shining fiberglass shower/ tubs.

DAB
03-25-2004, 01:52 PM
I have used Gel-Gloss for years and still have not found anything that comes close to it.. You can find it in the tile/bathroom section at home depot.. Last year I picked up a bottle of Wipe Clean from Rex and I was amazed at how great that stuff works, boat was in the water for 5 days at Havasu, after we pulled it out I followed the directions and have used is ever since for the rest of the hull...

summerlove
03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Prolong makes what I have found to be the best spray on cleaner - no wax and no streaks and best of all, no acid to remove the wax/gel.
Their product is called Waterless car Wash and can be purchased on line. You can either buy it in a spray or in a refillable 1/2 gallon jug. I and those I have turned onto it swear by it!
You can find it here... (http://www.prolong.com/WaterlessWashandShine.aspx)
Anyone else have any experience with it? Jim Wilkes introduced me to it years ago...

summerlove
03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
My bad - Double post...

hd&boatrider
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Salty Cracker
Leaves streaks!!!
Expensive also

Mr.Havasu
03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
For the nasty stuff from exhust on the back use CLR to get it off then wax it good and the next time it should wipe right off.
Check out my new web site, I just became an independant dealer of this product line and it is far superior to anything I have ever used. Being in the detail business I have tried all the combo's out there. I've been using this stuff for the past week and it is far superior to any product out there.
Works in 120 degree heat without streaking.
The Waxing frenzy! is owesome for that deep shine, and the spray wax is way better than meguires. doesn't streak even in the hot sun!
Go to my web site to read all about this new product.
I should be set up to take credit card orders in a couple of days.
Waxing Frenzy! (http://www.attn-to-detail.com)