PDA

View Full Version : Blythe claims another Impeller

Danhercules
03-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Last trip of the year last year we went to Blythe. Had a great trip untill we floated down river where it was shallow and bumped across a rock bar. I got the boat in deeper water and reached up the intake to check to see if anything was up there. I could not feel anything so I fired her up and went on my way. Long story short, the boat cavitated real bad so I knew somthing was wrong. The rock did come out and the boat ran again. So I finnished the weekend. After taking the boat out of the water Sat eve, I crawled under and looked. There was a small ding on the cutting edge of the imp. No worries I thought, I ran her all day sunday.
Today Hack Job and Flat Broke helped me take the imp out. Accually they did all the work, I only have one good hand, just had surgery. Everyone knows that you need to hold a beer in one hand, and a tool in the other, so I let Flat and Hack hold the tools. LOL THANKS GUYS.
Here is the damage.
This is what your transum adapter looks like after you sink your boat at Elisnore.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4763Transum-med.jpg
Lots of crap in there for sure!!!!
Here is what we found after the bowl came off.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4763Imp1-med.jpg
Here is a closer look.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4763imp2-med.jpg
Then we saw by the wear ring. OUCH!!!!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4763imp3-med.jpg

sleekcrafter
03-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Dan sorry for the misfortune :) This only means one thing, when it's fixed it's going to be faster! :crossx:
Sleek

Brooski
03-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Dan sorry for the misfortune :) This only means one thing, when it's fixed it's going to be faster! :crossx:
Sleek
He will have to be if he plans to keep up with me.......lol :cool:

victorfb
03-29-2006, 10:20 PM
holy bageeeezzzus... thats some serious wear. sorry to hear about the damage dan, but im sure chris and tyson will set you up no problem. after looking at that impellers edge, you may want to check the shaft aswell. not sure why i see raw aluminum on one side like that. but it wouldnt hurt to check it for striaghtness.

Cas
03-29-2006, 10:31 PM
what was the change in rpm from before damage to after?
sorry to see that sort of thing.

Squirtin Thunder
03-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Sorry Dan that was an on going problem. There was no way that that happened in one weekend while holding a beer. Well the rock damage yes but not the wasted thrust bearing and bowl bushing.
BTW-you will be faster now

sleekcrafter
03-30-2006, 04:33 AM
Hey there is that putty knife you have been looking for!! LOL :)
Sleek

v-drive
03-30-2006, 04:57 AM
Hmmm, I knew Blythe wasn't safe for v-drives but now it seems the same goes for jets. v-drive :coffeycup :confused:

Wicked Performance Boats
03-30-2006, 05:02 AM
Perfect definition of wear & tear. You needed a pump rebuild anyway. Blue print the pump while it's apart. Good luck Budlight

Danhercules
03-30-2006, 06:38 AM
what was the change in rpm from before damage to after?
sorry to see that sort of thing.
Not sure. I did not run the boat that hard after the rocks. I felt a vibration so I did not want to push it. I am guessing the wear either came from a stuck rock, or the vibrations.

Danhercules
03-30-2006, 06:45 AM
Sorry Dan that was an on going problem. There was no way that that happened in one weekend while holding a beer. Well the rock damage yes but not the wasted thrust bearing and bowl bushing.
I am not sure thats true. I ran the boat with some vibrations. I felt like some thing was stuck. I was easy on it, just about 2k to get back to the ramp. All of a sudden, she let loose. and ran fine. There was a vibration, so punched it once and then just cruised about 3000k to 3500k the rest of the weekend.
If you look real close where the wear ring area is, there is two big grooves. Its worn so bad it almost through. Most of the wear ring area is fine. In the middle of the two grooves, there is no wear, and its as tall as the parts that are not touched.
This is what I see going on, but heck, I am just guessing.

Danhercules
03-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Hmmm, I knew Blythe wasn't safe for v-drives but now it seems the same goes for jets. v-drive :coffeycup :confused:
Just dont follow some one who says "I think I know where the deep parts are." LOL Just kidding, you know who you are! :p
We we on the water late in the day and late in the season. Water was dropping fast. I knew the shallow was comming up, I was not sure exactly where it was and it was getting dark, so it was hard to see under the water. I shut it down and was floating when I went across.
During the normal summer, I am sure its fine. I have been there many times before.

Squirtin Thunder
03-30-2006, 07:30 AM
This is what I see going on, but heck, I am just guessing.
Then how do you explain not being able to smoke Roger and his bbc with your Big Bad Ford ???

Brooski
03-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Then how do you explain not being able to smoke Roger and his bbc with your Big Bad Ford ???
Well, considering my impeller was in good shape and my wear ring was a little loose, but not bad, I think we now know why we were even. No one can ever say that his boat sits on the trailer. Somehow I dont think the results this year will be the same. :cry: :cry: :cry: (Hmm, CS19 has an engine for sale.....)

460 jus getn it
03-30-2006, 08:17 AM
suddenly, seeing my impeller and the shape its in doesnt seem that bad. good luck on the rebuild....GO FORD GO................................................ ..........

hack job
03-30-2006, 10:39 AM
were do you see a wasted thrust bearing and bushing? cause i dont see one?

Jordy
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with Dan's hand/arm. He just is using it to play the sympathy card and get other people to work on his stuff while he's drinking beer and "supervising." :D :D :D

hack job
03-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with Dan's hand/arm. He just is using it to play the sympathy card and get other people to work on his stuff while he's drinking beer and "supervising." :D :D :D
bingo :p

flat broke
03-30-2006, 12:04 PM
We didn't do any measuring to check fore and aft movement on the shaft as we were just pulling it apart; but I didn't see any evidence on the suction housing of the impeller hitting the suction housing. The wear ring had some good burn marks in it, but that was about it. It's my understanding from Dan that the wear ring surface had been turned down prior and that is why it was relatively thin in that area. With that in mind and the fact that it looked like the wear ring area had at one time been set up with a labrynth seal cut into it, I wouldn't be surprised if his damage was indeed from his incident with the rock bar and maybe some other shallow water excursions that ddin't make as much noise. :)
Either way, I'm sure he'll get her back together so he can play on the river this summer.

1978 Rogers
03-30-2006, 01:19 PM
bingo :p
Thats a very smart man to toss on a sling on his arm and get others to hold the tools while he holds a beer. I envy him.

Danhercules
03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Simple, I am fat. No, wait, I let him keep up. Or was it cause I saw beer in his boat and did not want to pass him? I dont know what it is.

Danhercules
03-30-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you gonna hold my beer for me this week at Hooters?

NELSON#109
03-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Dont Worry Dan. I Cut Rogers Impelor To A Full C. He'll Spin His Engine Up To 10,000, And Bang... You Win. Btw, You Owe Me A 12 Pack For The Inside Job I Did. Ya Gotta Have Pals On The Inside. Beat It, Nelson#109

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-30-2006, 07:34 PM
dan you will be fine;) You have some good peeps that are there to help you;)

Rocknpalms
03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=Danhercules]Just dont follow some one who says "I think I know where the deep parts are." LOL Just kidding, you know who you are! :p
Yes I am the guilty party here. Since my Olds went over fine, I was either runing dryer and faster or the Ford is just too heavy.
:rollside:

78Southwind
03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Or was it cause I saw beer in his boat and did not want to pass him?
Bingo :)

Danhercules
03-30-2006, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=Danhercules]Just dont follow some one who says "I think I know where the deep parts are." LOL Just kidding, you know who you are! :p[/QUOTE=Danhercules]
Yes I am the guilty party here. Since my Olds went over fine, I was either runing dryer and faster or the Ford is just too heavy.
:rollside:
You knew the only way to beat me was sabotage!!!
:p
Dont worry, I would never pass you, you have beer in your boat.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
Simple, I am fat. No, wait, I let him keep up. Or was it cause I saw beer in his boat and did not want to pass him? I dont know what it is.
Make up your mind which excuse yer going to use! Only a woman has trouble making her mind up! Next you'll be going " boating boating"! Budlight :cry:

Cs19
03-31-2006, 07:12 AM
you got something in between your wear ring and impeller and it cause\ed some galling, once the galling starts it "snowballs" from there and its all over shortly after. Thats where your grooves came from.
You have to keep the crap out of your pump, they pump water not sand,gravel and rocks.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-31-2006, 09:29 AM
you got something in between your wear ring and impeller and it cause\ed some galling, once the galling starts it "snowballs" from there and its all over shortly after. Thats where your grooves came from.
You have to keep the crap out of your pump, they pump water not sand,gravel and rocks.
Dan put the true meaning to "ditch pump" :D :D

NautiTwins
03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Well actually they are really good at pumping all of those things. They can also chew up wood into little itsy bitsy pieces. LOL.