PDA

View Full Version : A volvo question

Sleek-Jet
03-23-2004, 02:21 PM
OK, I've been looking at a few older Sleek Craft daycruisers. Seems a good portion of these boats came with Volvo outdrives. I know nothing about Volvo outdrives.
Can anyone steer me to any info on which ones to avoid, the good ones, ect...

rivercrazy
03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Ask Havasu Hangin.

Sleek-Jet
03-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Ask Havasu Hangin.
I was hoping he would see this.

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Have you guys seen my consulting fee prices these days?
Actually, those old Volvo packages are very bulletproof- with proper maintenance. Merc has copied alot of Volvo's ideas over the years (Volvo invented the outdrive).
The 280 (and up) are as strong as a Bravo, with the exception of the top cap (there's a bushing that has been known to fail behind alot of HP). To make them last, you just need to shift them at a low RPM. I probably would not buy a boat with a 280, as it doesn't have powertrim (unless it's the 280T), and they don't make parts for them anymore.
I think the 290 was redesigned in the mid-90's to address the top cap. Another downside is the availability of performance aftermarket stuff (like steering, etc.).
Other than that, they are some of the best drives out there. My Volvo guy routinely gets saltwater boats in his shop with hundreds of hours on the drives (abused), and they keep on ticking.
Keep the seals in good shape, change the oil regularly, shift easy, and it'll never let you down.

Sleek-Jet
03-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Cool, thanks.

mirvin
03-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Sleek-Jet, If you get a VP you'll be part of an "elite group":D
mirvin