PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous help

Timer
05-26-2001, 10:06 AM
I've got an elaborate nitrous setup on a built BBC motor on my boat I recently purchased. Is there someone in the L.A./Orange County area who really knows nitrous/motors that can check out the system including the installation of switches, etc.? Thanks in advance for any help.

superdave013
05-26-2001, 12:35 PM
Contact Darren @ R&D Dyno Service in Gardena. His # is 310-516-1003.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited May 26, 2001).]

RVR JUNKY
06-03-2001, 04:55 PM
Touch base with Mike Hayden from Hayden Performance in Mission Viejo. Ph # 949-837-4995.

jsblendorio
06-04-2001, 06:45 PM
Has anyone tried running a dry shot into a merc EFI? I have car friends who let the ecu handle the additional fuel supply. Sounds risky to me.
[This message has been edited by jsblendorio (edited June 04, 2001).]

RiverDave
06-05-2001, 08:03 AM
To the best of my knowledge Dry shot doesn't mean that the ecu is going to take care of the fuel problem. I use to have a few motors with some pretty elaborate NOS systems on them. With the systems I ran that were referred to as Dry when you hit the nitrous there was a pressure regulator on the fuel rail that bumped fuel pressure causing the factory injectors to squirt more fuel. After all of that my main point was the ECU doesn't take care of the extra fuel required in a nitrous setup. In my opinion Wet worked just as well as my dry kit. The only thing is it is alot more sensitive to where you stick the nozzles. One question I do have for you is are you going to do this with a single fogger? Or are you going to do your NO2 system with multiples on the Intake manifold? The most popular systems I have seen on boats have been either one single big fogger In Front of the throttle body or they make some plates that sit underneath a carbuerator or throttle body above the intake manifold. In street racing I ran those setups I ultimately ended up running multiple foggers on each intake manifold rail with the wet setup. I hope that helped Let me know how it works out. In one other forum somebody was asking where to go for NOS advise, if your in orange county Nitrous Oxide Systems is right over by the John Wayne Airport. If they won't help you give JC a try at JC's performance in Huntington Beach. Good luck!!!
RiverDave

mister460
06-05-2001, 11:56 AM
Most EFI systems go into an open loop mode at WOT so nitrous in moderate levels work. But EFI systems can only inject SO much extra fuel. Mild N02 systems are OK but who wants a mild NOS system? Go wet, go big!!

RiverDave
06-06-2001, 01:32 PM
In my experience keep in mind this is car fuel injection we are talking about. As soon as you begin to give the motor throttle it will go way rich then when you achieve rpm it will back off to just above stochiometric. When you just romp on the throttle and run the engine all the way through the rpm range say in 3rd gear the EFI system switches over to a Preprogrammed MAP. That map is variable upon last sensor readings (altitude, temperature). None the less though once the throttle goes Wide Open (the EFI I worked with) goes to the map and is completely ignoring the sensors. If you were to maintain an RPM and constant load the EFI would actually run the motor Lean to conserve fuel. I figured there would be some differences for Marine applications (like the running lean for fuel economy), but I can't believe that under hard accelleration the motor is listening to the sensors for air fuel ratio. I would be very interested in hearing what PonPonRacing's input into that would be. Talk to you later RiverDave.