PDA

View Full Version : Paint - Gel ????

skipr
03-23-2004, 05:26 PM
I have noticed around the rub rail some paint peeling revieling a dark metal flake gel. Is there any way to remove the paint and restore the origional gel-coat?
Thanks for any help,
Steve

riverbound
03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
when I was having my gel redone there was a boat there that was having all the paint stripped and the old gel redone. Lotsa work:D

Jet Hydro
03-23-2004, 08:00 PM
yea it`s Lotsa work! but yes it can be done. The first thing you need to do is think about why they painted it in the first place. Paint will stick if done right but all in all gel is stronger than paint.
It`s all in a matter of how much do you want to spend?
If I had a boat that was painted I would just sand it and repaint. Lot less work and money.
As a matter of fact I have an ole`junk SJ that`s going to get paint over the gel real soon.You just have to sand it RIGHT to make it STICK! I`v painted quit a few boats and never had a problem with the paint not sticking.

purplerain
03-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Lets here some steps on prep and paint. My boat has had so many owners since '78 who knows what the origanal gel looks like. Also what about speedcoat? I am interested in any info you guys can give on this one.