PDA

View Full Version : Full Gainer at Copper Canyon

BajaMike
03-24-2004, 02:01 AM
This is a picture of my son's friend "LJ" doing a full gainer off the top of the rock at Copper Canyon. This was the weekend of 3/13, with the canyon full of "spring breakers", and he got a big response (and did it twice) with a perfect landing.
http://www.mikesnetworking.net/sitebuilder/images/jumper-backflip-705x465.jpg
:confused:
Mike

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 04:53 AM
I saw a couple guys do that off the cliff just past that rock (the one that is on the left as you enter Copper Canyon.
It didn't turn out good.

JetBoatRich
03-24-2004, 05:18 AM
HalletDave did the same thing last year, not bad for a guy over 50:D
No thanks:eek:

roln 20s
03-24-2004, 07:39 AM
I just jumped straight off that peak a couple years ago- all I have to say is that is much higher than it looks. I jumped, expected to hit the water, but didn't, still expecting the water, nothing there, and then SMACK! Theres the water. None the less, it was fun.
Roln 20s

superdave013
03-24-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by roln 20s
I just jumped straight off that peak a couple years ago- all I have to say is that is much higher than it looks. I jumped, expected to hit the water, but didn't, still expecting the water, nothing there, and then SMACK! Theres the water. None the less, it was fun.
Roln 20s
lol, I know what you mean. Made the bottom of my feet sting. Then drunk chicks jump off it naked all day. :eek:
HH, I saw a guy jump off that same cliff you are talking about. Was the last thing he ever did. :(

superdave013
03-24-2004, 08:53 AM
Oh, cool pic!

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Arrrggggaaaahhhh. That picture brings back bad memories....
I dove (not jumped) off that last summer like I have done some many times in the past. But that time I landed slightly off axis and blew out my eardrum. Took about 3-4 months to hear correctly after that. And the vertigo I got from that for about a month was not fun one bit....
Just be careful!!!!!:D

Cs19
03-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Seeing all those people at the lake just got me so fired up.
Cool pic, thanks, thats just what i needed before work.
Now that i think about it, its been a while since ive jumped off that rock.

fourspeednup
03-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
lol, I know what you mean. Made the bottom of my feet sting. Then drunk chicks jump off it naked all day. :eek:
HH, I saw a guy jump off that same cliff you are talking about. Was the last thing he ever did. :(
Was that the one a couple years ago when some people shot the ice block at the jumper, knocked him out and drownd?
Nice jump there though.....I couln't do that!
----four(((really just a big pussy)))speed

Outnumbered
03-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Saw that too. Was quite a buzz-kill. This was back in the early 90s. I would guess it happens every year:confused:
Ol

JetBoatRich
03-24-2004, 10:20 AM
We went to the one back in the canyon, it is a little higher and made a couple jumps.
This was me last year:eek:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/78Rich_Jump2-med.JPG

syke-o
03-24-2004, 10:21 AM
ya i am too much of a wuss to jump... :( :( i just fake like i have a sore knee or something:)

dimarcobros
03-24-2004, 11:09 AM
I have seen many things at the rock but I think the best was when i was younger nad this guy next to us was acting drunk. He then bet my dad and a couypl eof his buddies $100 that he could do a backward swan dive off the highest part. They all bit and the guy did it. He even pretended like he was having trouble standing on the top. As soon as he got in the boat he was dead sober. He had been doing that act all day and so far had $500. I thought I was going to see a guy die right before my eyes, he pulled a fast one on us. After my dad paid he confessed he was an Olympic Diver.
I still would take the naked ladies over that any day. :D
DMB

mirvin
03-24-2004, 11:13 AM
The last time I saw someone come off that cliff they went home in a Coast Guard Helicoper:(
mirvin

stoker
03-24-2004, 11:42 AM
I have done back flips off of it many times. I think I have a pic somewhere. The last time was last year. I don't think I will be doing it anymore, getting to old and smart for that shit.

victorfb
03-24-2004, 12:08 PM
that IS alot higher than it looks for sure. about 15 years ago i climbed up that thing at night. had my buddy with a hand held spot light showing me the way up. got to the top and couldnt see the water. id tell him to shine the light on the water, he did, then right back up onto me so they can watch me be an idiot. wasnt about to try and climb back down so i jumped. took a while for that water to reach me. the next day we went back and i saw the big rock/boulder thats just below the water line a few feet. i said my little thanks to god under my breath and have never been back on that friggin thing again. nor do i watch people jump from it any longer. too many dead or paralized people out there from it. i dont need to watch that.

unleashed
03-24-2004, 12:54 PM
I remember seeing a guy that was pretty drunk on top of that rock about 8 to 10 years ago. He was trying to pull his shorts off to dive but ended up slipping and landing on the rocks below then into the water. It took a good what seemed like a 1/2 hour to find him. I figured he probably died but from reports I hear he is just badly brain damaged now. Did anyone else see this or remember if he died or not. Anyhow it ended up being a complete buz kill and alot of people left the canyon afterwards. That rock is definitly dangerous.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Liquid Courage
03-24-2004, 02:23 PM
If you go right around the corner from where that photo is taken (just out of view) I saw, and have on video, a guy jumping from the cliff there. It's at least twice as high as that portion. The cops were telling him not to jump but he did and turned out OK. It was like 3 or 4 years ago. Watching the video it seems he falls for ever!:eek:

BajaMike
03-24-2004, 05:46 PM
I agree that it is dangerous, and I know a lot of people get hurt doing it. I was on the diving team in high school, and I have no desire to go up there and jump or dive off, and especially no desire to do any fancy tricks....but my son loves to.
His budy, LJ, said he was going to do the full gainer, and I tried to talk him out of it, and he said he has done if off higher things before, so he did it, and pulled if off nicely twice in a row.
I still don't recomend it, though.
Here is my son Mitchell, jumping off:
http://www.mikesnetworking.net/sitebuilder/images/jumper2-758x502.jpg
And the girls watching:
http://www.mikesnetworking.net/sitebuilder/images/Reagan1-758x502.jpg
I guess it helps to be young (and dumb?).
:yuk:
Mike

fourspeednup
03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
I guess it helps to be young (and dumb?).
If you're talking about the girls.......then yeah, the dumber the better:D

RiverRatMike
03-24-2004, 11:35 PM
peeps are crazy even jumping off that rock!! remember last year when that guy did it and landed wrong, knocked himself out, sank to the bottom and died? I just shake my head when I see people jump off that rock. They are just playing with death....

fourspeednup
03-24-2004, 11:40 PM
I always figured I was just a big pussy when it came to stuff like that:rolleyes:
Guess I've grown quite fond of breathing and what not:cool:

DeltaSigBoater
03-25-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
If you're talking about the girls.......then yeah, the dumber the better:D
I'll drink to that....Speaking of drinking the chick in the green is drinking a Bud Light. And since were on the subject of light that wakeboard looks like a Hyperlite Motive 140 perhaps.

fourspeednup
03-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
I'll drink to that....Speaking of drinking the chick in the green is drinking a Bud Light. And since were on the subject of light that wakeboard looks like a Hyperlite Motive 140 perhaps.
Cheers glug, glug, glug:cool:

welk2party
03-26-2004, 03:43 PM
I will do a full gainer with a twist from my boat to the girls.:D