PDA

View Full Version : how would you feel if.....

superdave013
03-24-2004, 01:03 PM
How would you feel if someone splashed your gel coat design exactly?
Would you be pissed or flattered?

carbonmarine
03-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Id be pissed, then flattered after I made the fugger buy a few rounds.....
Rick32

mirvin
03-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Maybe the manufacturers could offer to never duplicate your original design, for a fee of course:D
THen when someone came in saying they wanted that exact design, the shop could steer them to an original variation of your theme.
mirvin;)

hot_diggity_dog
03-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
I would be pissed and I am.
I took me hours and hours to come up with my scheme.
I was out every week after the boat came out of the mold.
I even sold a few boats talking to peeps that where looking at mine.
Well I come back a few weeks later and notice another deck boat sitting next to mine.
Exact same graphic but done in red. Here's the B.S.
I look on the work order on the back of the boat and it say's "Gel coat same as Glenn's but done in Red. WTF
Then it seemed like the next ten customer's said they want the same thing.
I have seen my design on a 28', 24' 23' all from Cheetah
Focker's
Hot (Be F$^$$^king original) Diggity Dog:mad:

dimarcobros
03-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Why would you want to copy someone else's design? :confused:
DMB

Salty Cracker
03-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
Why would you want to copy someone else's design? :confused:
DMB
Lack of imagination!!

Kachina26
03-24-2004, 01:27 PM
Would you be pissed or flattered? Did you do it, are you considering doing it, or did someone do it to you?

superdave013
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
i looked at alot of schiada before I came up with mine. But, there was not ONE other one with the exact gel as mine. It is the classic schiada lines but myself and Havasu Barney came up with the fades, colors and what not.
my boat:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9Dsc01456.jpg
the splash, it's a half scale but still a splash if you ask me.
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/bubbles/Traileroverview.jpg

Chase
03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
The boat in these pictures is sooooooooo sweet.

superdave013
03-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Chase
The boat in these pictures is sooooooooo sweet.
uhhh, there is 2 different boats in those pics

CA Stu
03-24-2004, 01:39 PM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" - someone really smart
Feel honored.
Thanks
CA Stu

Chase
03-24-2004, 01:42 PM
uhhh, there is 2 different boats in those pics
What..one has bigger wheels than the other............:D :D
I meant the big pic....

Advantage Adam
03-24-2004, 01:42 PM
I would be flattered. It's always nice to see the smucks that like my sloppy seconds....
Adam

carreraelite
03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Maybe you should ask River Dave what he thinks!! :D ;)

dimarcobros
03-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Advantage Adam
I would be flattered. It's always nice to see the smucks that like my sloppy seconds....
Adam
Yes, but people don't know that it is your sloppy seconds. They might be thinking it's the other way aroung.
DMB

Hermosa
03-24-2004, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by superdave013
[B]i looked at alot of schiada before I came up with mine. But, there was not ONE other one with the exact gel as mine. It is the classic schiada lines but myself and Havasu Barney came up with the fades, colors and what not.
S Dave, do you have any before photos of your boat before Barney did his work?

superdave013
03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Hermosa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by superdave013
[B]i looked at alot of schiada before I came up with mine. But, there was not ONE other one with the exact gel as mine. It is the classic schiada lines but myself and Havasu Barney came up with the fades, colors and what not.
S Dave, do you have any before photos of your boat before Barney did his work?
Go to RRL to the custom creations section and look in the bubbles thread.

FMluvswater
03-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Doesn't matter what it is a whether it's a gel coat design, a photo, a piece of writing ... if you copy someone's original idea it is rude to not give the originator credit. Just my .02. I'd be annoyed for sure.

Tom Brown
03-24-2004, 02:12 PM
If it were me, I wouldn't mind too much unless people started coming up and kicking me in the junk.

welk2party
03-24-2004, 02:14 PM
How many originals are really out there anyway. Everything is a splash of something IMO.

Chase
03-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Tom, you are so easy going...you must be from Canada

Tom Brown
03-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Only about some things, Chase. For example, right now I'm totally ****ing furious that it's 10C in 'toon and we're currently at 4. :D

Kim Hanson
03-24-2004, 02:18 PM
I did do the mock thing on my computer for this, didn't know who's it was............( . )( . ).......:(
http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/bubbles/Traileroverview.jpg

Chase
03-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Well it is because you have more snow down there, and with the white it is reflecting the heat. Our ground is brown so we are a giant hot patch. I am surprised though, since there is usually way more hot air coming from all the hot heads near Regina...:D
PLUS you are closer to the equator...Like WTF.

Danhercules
03-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
Yes, but people don't know that it is your sloppy seconds. They might be thinking it's the other way aroung.
DMB
Who cares what other people think?

Havasu_Dreamin
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Just kick the guy that splashed it in the junk and then jog away. If/when he does come after you he'll be chasing you in flip-flops and fall down anyway! LMAO :p
In all honesty, I think it's no big deal since the other one is just a small Schiada. Kind of cool if you ask me.

superdave013
03-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Well HD, I'ed love to hate that lil boat but I just can't. It is bitchen and I know Dave will make it trick.

Havasu_Dreamin
03-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Definitely, it is a bitchen little boat and Dave will make it trick. Look at this way, he is paying homage to your Schaida.
I still say you kick him in the junk just have him chase you in flip flops! LMAO :p

ROZ
03-24-2004, 03:03 PM
It just looked like flat red to me w/o fade to me in person..

superdave013
03-24-2004, 03:09 PM
good point Roz. I've never seen it in person. Looks pretty exact in the above pics though.
I'll get over it and just kick ol' RD in the junk just for grins :D

Screaming Pete
03-24-2004, 03:17 PM
After about the 10th ultra with purple checkers and green base i sold it couldn't take it any longer:confused:

ROZ
03-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Ya see, ya'll wanted to kick RD in the junk for nuthin'...Other than just for fun that is... :D

jlnorthrup122
03-24-2004, 08:52 PM
I read this whole ****ing post and laugh my ass off!!! both of the boats are bad ass!! but what kills me is picturing RD running around the parker strip in Bubbles!!! I don't know why but that cracks me up!! Hey RD I'd roll with yah bro!! we need to get your motor all beefed up for that lil ****er soes you can go bout 90 MPH with a nitrous shot!!! Be like Grizwald on the buttered sauser in National Ampoons Chrismas!!!!! Call Her "Buttered Bubles"!!!

Phat Matt
03-24-2004, 08:54 PM
When I bought my boat a couple of years ago I had them do this design. (look below) Less than a year later I was at Elsinore pulling into the beach area in the back and I saw my boat exactly like mine in red. I was pissed because I thought I bought a "custom" boat. Then the guy says to me as I drive by, "Mine's better" and that pissed me off so I said "yeah, well mine was first so you can thank me". When I went to the regatta last year I got over it because there was like 5 or them like mine now. Oh well, it still floats.

jlnorthrup122
03-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Thats Bad Ass Bro!! (Phatt Matt) I think I will order one in pink!!!:D :D :D :D Nah but that is a bad ass design!

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm going to sketch my own shit out when i build it.
Its just easyer to let custmers bring in a picture and use as refrence! But we try to change it up from boat to boat!
For starters, we try to keep the desings a simetrical then
Colors, lines, fade directions, there is alot to play with.

jlnorthrup122
03-24-2004, 09:00 PM
The way I look @ it is paint is third priority to #1 Power and speed Then #2 Creature party comfort!!!:cool:

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 09:01 PM
I think RD has a secret cush on stuperdave013...
...there's some strange people on these boards.

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by jlnorthrup122
The way I look @ it is paint is third priority to #1 Power and speed Then #2 Creature party comfort!!!:cool:
I concure!:D :cool:

Jrocket
03-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Father and Son team?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9Dsc01456.jpg http://www.riverratlife.com/dave/images/bubbles/Traileroverview.jpg

Phat Matt
03-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Thanks jlnorthrup122.
RiverDave, It's a joke now and I can laugh. I think it looks cool and I guess other people did to, so they got one. I was just a little shocked the first time and the comment didn't help. You should name the 10's the same name. Now that would be funny. :)

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Not necesarrily a crush... He's my hero truth be told..
"Hero"..."crush"...a fine line indeed.
You guys make a great couple.

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 09:23 PM
I think so too, but Dave's wife keeps getting in the way. I think if I get the bolt on's though I might have a shot.. what do you think jeff?
Those are real?

mbrown2
03-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Those are real?
That's not right...lmao:)

Jrocket
03-24-2004, 09:25 PM
I think if I get the bolt on's though I might have a shot..
RD
Your boobs are big enough now Dave,just wear a bra more often like you should!:D

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
LMAO!!! :D Well big Bird, I figured if anyone would know it'd be you.. I caught you looking down my shirt from way up there.
Like a famous philospher once said, "there's a little something wrong with everyone you meet on the boards..."

Jrocket
03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
What's the deal on those speakers?
RD
Its only been 6 hours since you called me,Im still thank'n.:D

superdave013
03-24-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by jlnorthrup122
That's fine and dandy that YOU look at it that way. But I don't.
Creature party comfort is not even in my plan. I could care less about that. Beer and other party supplies have no place in an open stringer v drive boat. No sound systems and no carpet in this rig.
Looks and performance are equal to me in this project. And I know I can have them both.
I didn't just go out and buy a boat. Well, I guess I did but then I took it all apart. Shit canned EVERY peice of hardware, filled every hole in the boat and started from scratch.
I wanted to be different. I'm making 99% of the parts myself when I could just go to Rex or Dana and buy them.
This is as much as a self built, one off custom deal as you can get. I am enjoying doing it and I rate that higher then the party comfort. I guess that some guys that buy their boats and have someone else build it with off the shelf parts just won't understand the time and effort that's going in to it.
Dave and I have been friends for a long time and we still are. I just wish he would have talked to me about it before hand. Maybe it was the supprise factor that got me. Sounds like that same supprise has gotten a few others too.
We've talked about it on the phone tonight and it's all good so there is no worries there.
The one thing I am happy with that Dave is doing. He's going to about the same over kill detail to make things different as I am with the rigging. "Little Bitch" is going to be a cool little boat.

superdave013
03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Not necesarrily a crush... He's my hero truth be told.. :D I was hoping that maybe he'd adopt me?
RD
lol, Dave, if I adopted you I would go broke tryin to keep beer in the fridge. :)

superdave013
03-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Like a famous philospher once said, "there's a little something wrong with everyone you meet on the boards..."
I thought only the mod's were the strange ones. LMAO

jlnorthrup122
03-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Good to hear everything is gona be alrite tween yous 2 guys! and thee custom build thiing is and can be fun in that you can put your own inovations and styles to work for you!! I agree on the custom built deal!!:cool:
I just like to party a little not all the time and in moderation I like to keep a head buzz going to where I feel nice and loose to get away from the tensities of my job and my HIGH HIGH HIGH HIGH Maintanance wife!!!!! Let me vent here That woman is drivin me crazy this month!!!!!!!!! I get my welder serviced se bitches bout "MY" money getting spent to do so! OK so I let a $5000.00 machine seeet idle!! then I buy new tandem trailer axels in a kit last week she bitches again bout MY mooney being spent!!! she stops me from buying a supercharger an super chiller kit last week as well after witnessing her get all happy that the prviouse 1471 blueprinted blower deal goes to shit!!! I check out another truck tonight she wines and bitches about my other trucks taking up space!!! just need to vent!!! the wife is killing my bank roll and bitching bout my spending money on my tools and boat!!!
I gues this stems from the tence week party get loose dealio!!

superdave013
03-24-2004, 10:12 PM
lol, I'll give ya a little tip.
Just come home and say "hey honey, look what I've got!!"
I have found it is better to explain why I did what I did then to try and justify why I wanna do what I wanna do.

jlnorthrup122
03-24-2004, 10:16 PM
Yep I agree!!! I could also lace her tea with some volume Too!!:D :D

superdave013
03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Ya see that's kinda how I felt about the gelcoat.. .LMAO :D
Better to ask for forgiveness then permission.. ;) :D
Just joking with ya Dave. I just found it ironic in a thread that.... well you know. ;)
DR
NOT THE SAME DAVE!!!
I'm not ****in you. Well, not yet anyway. :eek:
We're talkin 'bout the wife here. Buddies have a different set of rules. :D