PDA

View Full Version : 496ho ?

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Are any of the new engines having that soot buildup on thae back of the boat? I hope not as that is what I put in the new Shockwave. Wasn't that just a problem early on and has been taken care of? I can't remember if I asked Barry about that or not....

SLOWMAN
03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
When my 496HO was new I was running premium fuel and the black soot was bad. After 20 hours on engine I switched to 87 octane the black soot is not as bad but still there. Not sure if it was the fuel or the computer changes the fuel mixture after 20 hours. Either way there is still black soot on my transom, just not as bad now.

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 03:15 PM
From what I hear it is still a problem with any of merc's EFI engines.
I have a 2003 HO that still soots the transom after 95 hours. But no where near as bad as it was in the first 20. The first 20 are a MAJOR pain in the ass!
What really helps is everytime you stop after a decent run, wet a small towel and towel off the soot. It keeps the buildup down and keeps peeps from tracking soot prints on the engine hatch and rear seat base.
What I've learned is wash the transom at the end of every boating day with a VERY soft brush (Got mine at Pepboys) that mounts to a hose (water squirts directly through the brush). Put some car soap on the boat and brush the transom down with the water on. Takes the soot right off without much drama and it only takes a few minutes.

1Shockwaveguy
03-24-2004, 03:16 PM
I never had that problem with my Shockwave. I guess I got lucky.

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 03:16 PM
There is significantly less soot using 87 versus 91 octane. The ecm is programmed to run on 87. Running 91 just makes it run a little richer.

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:20 PM
DAMN IT! I was hoping that was solved. Oh well, no choice but to start washing....****!
I will go with your method RC.....Thanks again :)

roln 20s
03-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Well- how was the new boat? Any pics? You did get the maiden voyage correct?
Hope it was all good.
Roln 20s

rivercrazy
Anytime bro.
Another thing I've heard is a few guys sent their ECM's back to Merc for repgramming and experienced a substantial reduction in soot. But they make you wait until at least 20 hours.
Whipple also has the exclusive rights to reprogram the 555 ECM on the 496's. Their stage two kit includes reprogramming the ECM for 91 octane and is supposed to increase power. I talked to Dustin over there a while back and he stated their reprogram also reduces soot buildup.
But I think the ECM is programmed to run the motor in breakin mode for the first 20-30 hours or so.
Brace yourself for the first few hours. Its gonna be a little messy! :yuk: :D

Ivan Dan
I only have 5 hours on mine so far and the soot is pretty bad. Rivercrazy thanks for the tips I appreciate it. I will see if I can find a super soft brush like you are talking about. You don't notice any swirl marks or anything like that from the brush do you?

jackpunx
03-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Its all about Meguiars Magic.. I got it at the boat show.. spray a little on.. and wipe off.. thats it.. no drama..

Havasu_Dreamin
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
The soot is really bad with the 525 as well.

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Well- how was the new boat? Any pics? You did get the maiden voyage correct?
Hope it was all good.
Roln 20s
Not yet....tomorrow was supposed to be the day: http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42935

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
None at all from the brush. The brush I picked up from Pepboys is extremely soft. The handle has a hose connection on the end of it and water flows through the middle of the brush. It keeps a constant clean supply of water available. I use a small bottle with soft car soap and squirt it in the affected areas then water bush it all clean.
The new method takes me about 2 minutes. I took me forever to clean up using other ways.....

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Sounds like they are overdoing it during the break in period :( I really hate anything messy like FRIGGIN" soot buildup on the transom. What can you do but clean it up though :(
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Anytime bro.
Another thing I've heard is a few guys sent their ECM's back to Merc for repgramming and experienced a substantial reduction in soot. But they make you wait until at least 20 hours.
Whipple also has the exclusive rights to reprogram the 555 ECM on the 496's. Their stage two kit includes reprogramming the ECM for 91 octane and is supposed to increase power. I talked to Dustin over there a while back and he stated their reprogram also reduces soot buildup.
But I think the ECM is programmed to run the motor in breakin mode for the first 20-30 hours or so.
Brace yourself for the first few hours. Its gonna be a little messy! :yuk: :D

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
None at all from the brush. The brush I picked up from Pepboys is extremely soft. The handle has a hose connection on the end of it and water flows through the middle of the brush. It keeps a constant clean supply of water available. I use a small bottle with soft car soap and squirt it in the affected areas then water bush it all clean.
The new method takes me about 2 minutes. I took me forever to clean up using other ways.....
Well, this is what I am going to do. Of course when you are on the lake you just have to take the soft cloth and wipe it down. How about the 50/50 water vinegar mixture?

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
Its all about Meguiars Magic.. I got it at the boat show.. spray a little on.. and wipe off.. thats it.. no drama..
It sounds like this would be good while on the lake. Where can you pick it up at? West Marine?

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 03:39 PM
I havent tried the vinegar in the way you suggested but I bet it would work fine.
When I stop after a long run I just take a small wash towel, get it wet and wipe down the dirty parts of the transom keeping the water fresh in the towel. As long as it hasn't be walked on yet, it comes right off. Takes 30 seconds at the most

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 03:43 PM
I use the 50/50 mix of vinegar and water when I pull the boat out. Takes off all water spots and looks like you just waxed it. It does strip your wax but as long as you wax 2-3 times a year you are fine. You should never use it on chrome though as it will help deteriorate it.

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 03:44 PM
Another thing I've been thinking about is if I added some of the new clamp on mufflers that it would extend the exhaust out about 8 inches or so. Maybe that would put it out far enough back to not have the soot buildup on the transom.....
One thing I have noticed is that on startup if you look back in the water that you see a decent film of soot floating back there. Makes me suspect that most of the soot comes from startup. I noticed that if as soon as the idle comes down I shift in to forward for a few feet that not much soot builds up at all during a good day of boating......

Sun burners
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Well, this is what I am going to do. Of course when you are on the lake you just have to take the soft cloth and wipe it down. How about the 50/50 water vinegar mixture?
Add some CARNUBE WAX in there with distilled water and you have a winner!

rvrhlic
I had a 496 HO in my lavey and never had in problems. Maybe i got lucky too

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 03:46 PM
One other thing tom is you will notice pretty fast that the 25 doesnt get much water spot buildup at all! There are no real flat spots facing up that get a lot of water spots burned in by the sun.
I used to use the dooch method on my older boat due to the spots. But I never have to with the 25! :D

welk2party
03-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Mine sooted up bad for the first 20. Im on 29 now and it has gotten alot better. I usually just wipe it down after a run along with most of the boat. Being a deckboat, it gets filthy all over so I just wipe everything to cut down on the final cleaning time.

OGShocker
03-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by SLOWMAN
When my 496HO was new I was running premium fuel and the black soot was bad. After 20 hours on engine I switched to 87 octane the black soot is not as bad but still there. Not sure if it was the fuel or the computer changes the fuel mixture after 20 hours. Either way there is still black soot on my transom, just not as bad now.
Is this what gives me my headaches when I teak surf?:rolleyes:
HD&B,
It is the octane! Windex or white vinegar w/ water works well to take it off....

Steamin' Rice
03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Spray-on citrus cleaner works well to remove the soot from the transom as well.

hd&boatrider
03-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies and advice....I guess I am going to be one of those guys in the channel or where-ever always wiping the boat instead of enjoying the scenery :(. You know what I mean....you have seen that one guy out there "Hey guy, better watch out or that boat might get wet" :) That kind of stuff. It could be a lot worse. I could be one of those passengers on my boat that get to wipe it down....lol Nobody rides for free!

Sandbar Junkies
03-24-2004, 06:08 PM
They say not to run that cheap gas, go to shell, cheveron, or one of the major companys and run the 87 octane only. I used to use that cheap gas from Havasu and I spent all weekend washing the POS. It helped my boat alot, now I can drink all weekend..................

boater
03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
A friend of mine had that problem with his 27ft aftershock he only had about 10 hrs on it. After a few phone calls to mercury and being persistent they discovered they put the wrong chip in it. Replaced it and no more black stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!