PDA

View Full Version : Operation Iraqi Children

looky_lou
03-24-2004, 03:31 PM
At lunch today I heard an interview with actor Gary Sinise (Forrest Gump, Apollo 13) and soon to be on the new series CSI - New York.
He has started a program to help the children in Iraq get badly needed school supplies.
I was so impressed by this that I went to Costco and bought a bunch of paper and pencils, etc. to put together a package to send.
I hope others will be inclined to do the same. The boating community are such a great group of people that I thought some of you would be interested in helping too.
Here is a link to the web site with information on how to help.
Operation Iraqi Children (http://www.operationiraqichildren.org)

Her454
03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Im probably going to get flamed for this but I think we need to take care of our own here in the USA first. Although I think its commendable, we have homeless children HERE that could use school supplies, learning utensils etc.
That was just an example but I think our money should stay in the USA.

NastyOne
03-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Operation help your own ****ing country!
We have enough problems.

NastyOne
03-24-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Im probably going to get flamed for this but I think we need to take care of our own here in the USA first. Although I think its commendable, we have homeless children HERE that could use school supplies, learning utensils etc.
I'm with you!

CMABadseed
03-24-2004, 03:41 PM
i'd buy 1 package for iraq and 3 for the unfortunate state of our school systems. BUT i am in school right now...finishing up an engineering degree, so of course the money is tight.
good idea , but it ought to go both ways.

OGShocker
03-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by NastyOne
Operation help your own ****ing country!
We have enough problems.
Boy!, you're never gonna get through life by holding back. Tell the lady how you feel.:D

looky_lou
03-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Direct me to the program and I will send the supplies.
This is just a very easy way to help others in my opinion. Do you really think that these kids have anywhere near the oprotunities for education that our homeless in the US have?
If you don't want to do it then don't. Thats easy enough.

Her454
03-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by looky_lou
Direct me to the program and I will send the supplies.
This is just a very easy way to help others in my opinion. Do you really think that these kids have anywhere near the oprotunities for education that our homeless in the US have?
If you don't want to do it then don't. Thats easy enough.
Anyone that knows anything about me knows that I am usually the first to offer help to those in need, period. And no, I dont think they have the opportunities for education that US children have. That does not change the fact that I prefer to keep my hard earned dollars in the US to educate our own children before I would send it to a 3rd world country. A country that breeds terrorism no less. Punishing the innocent? Maybe. But thats my choice.
As far as directing you to a program, do some research in your own backyard, Im sure you'll find something if you have not already.

riverbound
03-24-2004, 04:09 PM
I also think that we need help here before we start offering to other countries. Keep the money where you live.
I dont see them rushing to help us with our gas problems

superdave013
03-24-2004, 04:43 PM
I worked for Huges Aircraft for a long time. I've donated a shitload of Bradley's & TOW missles. :D

mirvin
03-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Dang LL:( It's the thought that counts huh?
Too bad you got flamed by everyone:confused:
mirvin

NastyOne
03-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Boy!, you're never gonna get through life by holding back. Tell the lady how you feel.:D
LMAO... I didnt mean to sound like a dick. I was just joking. (not really)

looky_lou
03-24-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh well.
I feel good about what I have done.
BTW, I pay a ton in federal taxes. That should cover my share to help here in the US.
I respect everyones opinion. Just trying to help out some needy people. People are people no matter where in the world they are.

MudPumper
03-24-2004, 05:40 PM
My girlfriend teaches 1st grade and gets paid very little for raising other peoples children, but that's another topic. Anyway, she spends a lot of money out of her own pocket each year to buy, paper, pencils, crayons, etc............ because the district has limited funding for this stuff. So maybe you should donate to the local schools because not only will you be helping american children, you will also be helping the teachers who are severely underpaid.

MudPumper
03-24-2004, 05:43 PM
By the way Looky_lou, pat yourself on the back for your act of kindness today.;)

superdave013
03-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
By the way Looky_lou, pat yourself on the back for your act of kindness today.;)
I agree with that one!

looky_lou
03-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by looky_lou
Oh well.
I feel good about what I have done.
BTW, I pay a ton in federal taxes. That should cover my share to help here in the US.
I respect everyones opinion. Just trying to help out some needy people. People are people no matter where in the world they are.
I totally understand the needs of local schools and teachers.
I am currently putting my daughter through college to be a teacher so she too can be under paid and under appreciated. It is what she has always wanted to do though, so more power to her.

superdave013
03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
BTW, have any of you guys priced steel lately? So much is going over there that now we are short and the price is way up.
I know it's off topic but man, it's killing the company I work for.

Her454
03-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
Dang LL:( It's the thought that counts huh?
Too bad you got flamed by everyone:confused:
mirvin
Wasn't flaming anyone, and like I said, its admirable your trying to help. Just not "my" preference.

mirvin
03-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Wasn't flaming anyone, and like I said, its admirable your trying to help. Just not "my" preference.
I was just bieng the wingman:D ;)

little rowe boat
03-24-2004, 10:48 PM
Keep the money in the U.S.A. Maybe toward scholarships for the children of U.S. soldiers that were killed in Iraq.

Krazy K
03-25-2004, 12:11 AM
I'm 35 and just enrolled in college to become an Elementary school teacher. I'm not doing it for the money, I'm doing it for the kids. I'll have a side business that will help out. I'll need to find a better education system than what we have here (Anybody tell me what the schools are like in Chattanooga or Knoxville, TN?)
Although it is a good idea, we need to work on our own first.