PDA

View Full Version : Amp heat

rivercrazy
03-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Will a multi channel amp run any hotter in high pass versus full pass mode?
I realize an amp will put out more power in full pass mode. But I run the same amp as a buddy. He runs high pass I run full pass to 6X9's both at 2 ohms and his amp run hotter. Or is it the speakers (we use different brands but both have passive crossovers).

ROZ
03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Sounds like your amp is retaining heat...

riverbound
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
I've never had an amp run hotter just because it was in full pass or high pass.
The amp doesnt produce more power because of the crossover settings but it will let more of the music throught to the speakers.

Tinkerer
03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Yours is amplifing the bass notes his isn't.
The lower freq draws the most power.

Havasu Hangin'
03-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Tinkerboater
The lower freq draws the most power.
Kinda true.
The amount of power needed to move a voice coil for low frequencies is much greater than high frequencies.
It's the speaker that draws the power. 200 watts to a tweeter is not the same as 200 watts to a sub.

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Thats what I always thought. Sounds like my buddy needs better ventilation, better batteries, and a little lighter volume hand! :D :D :D

Hustler
03-25-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
a little lighter volume hand! :D :D :D
Not gonna happen:p :D

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 10:42 AM
LMAO! :D :p
Just get more speakers and amps. That will cure the volume thingy! :p

ROZ
03-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Thats what I always thought. Sounds like my buddy needs better ventilation, better batteries, and a little lighter volume hand! :D :D :D
Ventilation is something you didn't address. Where are the amps located?
I was thinkin that one of your speakers is going to blow and causing really low load causing the amp to heat up...
Your a/b amp will run hotter than your class D amp... Gotta love digital switching...
I can wait to have MB's full range digital amp in our whss so I can play around with it... :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
03-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
Not gonna happen.
Perhaps it's still hot from when the wiring shorted out?

Hustler
03-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Perhaps it's still hot from when the wiring shorted out?
Should I give it a couple asprin and a ice pack and see if that will cure it.

ROZ
03-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Just play it til it breaks then buy his other one after he does another upgrade...lol

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 12:54 PM
I think you should just sit down there with the stereo on with a Japanese face fan! :D

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Actually after thinking about this again, I know what the heat problem is......
Here your poor little amp is working its ass off providing the whole sandbar with entertainment while your just sitting there drinking your GG&T's.....Maybe if you share some of your bar supply with the amp, the heat thing would just disappear into thin air! :D

Havasu Hangin'
03-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Hustler
Should I give it a couple asprin and a ice pack and see if that will cure it.
A margarita always cools me down...

Tom Brown
03-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Has anyone tried liquid cooling the amps in their boat? It wouldn't be tough to adapt a PC type CPU or chipset waterblock and install a small pump to circulate lake water.
:confused: