PDA

View Full Version : Question For Parents...

Her454
03-24-2004, 07:20 PM
with kids that carry backpacks. Have you lifted your kids backpack lately? My daughter has been having some back and shoulder pain and her pediatrician said that her backpack is probably the problem (along with some normal growing pains). I lifted it last weekend and I swear it weighed over 50lbs! She has to carry this thing ALL day long and then lug it home with her because the schools no longer have lockers for the kids. Lots of reasons for this but mostly due to drugs and weapons. Nothing like when I was a kid. She wont get one that rolls - its just not cool. :rolleyes: She carries all her books...heavy books...art stuff and of course her makeup........is this typical?

mike37
03-24-2004, 07:27 PM
my son has wheels on his he just drages it around

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 07:31 PM
When I was in school (at grade where you walked to different classes) we had these things called lockers to keep all that stuff in. Do they not have those anymore?
My boy starts kindergarden in Sept., but I think he's found a little hottie in preschool that'll carry those books around for him. ;)
RTJas :D

Flying Tiger
03-24-2004, 07:32 PM
The wheel type are really considered uncool. Hard to get the kids to use them.
We had our daughter keep a copy of her books at school then another set of books at home so she didn't have to lug them back and fourth...
This was a BFD to our daughter too. Youre completely right in your concern.
Books should be online or on a CD so the kids don't have this problem

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 07:34 PM
Well there is a simple solution.:)
Who the F%*& is the Adult.
Its your job to make sure shes not injured and shit...
Make Her Use the ROLLING ONE:mad: :mad:
Im so f&%kin tired of hearing this Shit!
Do your Job!
Next Thread!

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by AleAlchemist
Do your Job!
Next Thread!
Well said! I like the way you think. http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/909er.gif

spectras only
03-24-2004, 07:42 PM
my son's pack weighs a ton as well ,but like you said it's "not kewl":rolleyes: to have a castor type carrying bag.So he just expects me to drop him off at school. As soon the temps steady above 15 C off he goes on the bus;) .Don't know why he needs so many books when he tells me every day :rolleyes: ,he's got no homework:rolleyes:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-24-2004, 07:45 PM
The districts always give the argument about drugs and guns, but I have yet to have someone explain to me what keeps kids from carrying contraband in their backpack? The answer is nothing!! If they can fit it in their locker, they can fit it in their backpack. I think it's just a cost/maintenance issue. Once again, the kids get the shaft because the administrators can't properly budget the $$$. Though, at my daughters school they also have two sets of books. That's very cost effective. At $100+ a book, and 5-6 books per child, I think lockers would be much cheaper.

Cas
03-24-2004, 07:58 PM
no lockers isn't about the drugs and weapons, it's about not having the money for the upkeep. "They" just want us to believe it's to better control the contriband.

Her454
03-24-2004, 08:01 PM
Do your Job!
Next Thread!
Ever hear of Prozak? I think the next step would be to start a POLL on HB to see if Im a shitty parent or not. You need to either get drunk or get layed, obviously your too wound up.:eek:

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Both Please!:D :D
Look Im not saying your a bad parent but common.
You want your duaghter to be strong and confident, give her a little drama to get through.
Think back, is it going to kill her to have a rolling bag:rolleyes:
I dont think so, so just take the initiative and make her roll it!

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Her454
Ever hear of Prozak? I think the next step would be to start a POLL on HB to see if Im a shitty parent or not. You need to either get drunk or get layed, obviously your too wound up.:eek:
LOL! Well you have to admit he's got a point. You have a child that's getting medical issues and you know what could be done to alleviate(sp?) the problems (if even a little bit). That's to get a rolling pack. Your reason, as stated, is that those aren't cool. You're the parent, not their friend. Lay down the law as such and tell her that in life we can't always do what's cool, sometimes you have to do what's right.
I'm not saying you're a bad parent, I just agree that too many parents try to be friends and not parents. That's all. Just my opinion. I think there should be a balance.
I also understand that you're coming here to see if there is maybe another alternative that you hadn't thought of, that might be considered cool by your kid's peers. That's thoughtful, but in the end, I think you probably know what has to be done.

Her454
03-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Both Please!:D :D
Look Im not saying your a bad parent but common.
You want your duaghter to be strong and confident, give her a little drama to get through.
Think back, is it going to kill her to have a rolling bag:rolleyes:
I dont think so, so just take the initiative and make her roll it!
Never said it would kill her to have a rolling bag just that they weren't cool. I understand life isn't about being cool (or is it? ;) )
Trust me, I know you cant be a friend to your kids, being a parent comes first. I've had a rough last year with her for that very reason. I could have taken the easy way out and just been a "friend" but thats not how I want to teach her or her to grow up. I was just questioning the issue as its so different than when I was in school. If it comes to her back and her health, she be rolling uncool thats for sure. I've already made her empty it to just the bare necessities but you'd be surprised what that amounts to for a teenage girl! :)

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Good Lookin Out!
Jas:cool:
Wel HER I hope you find an answer.:)
P.S. Being uncool and ****ing with the pretty kids is much funner than trying to compete!:D ;)

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
If it comes to her back and her health, she be rolling uncool thats for sure.
LMAO!!!! ;)
How cool are the "cool kids" going to be when they're crippled at 20??? THEN who will be cool??? ;) :D

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
Geek in school = Geek for life RD
truer words were never spoken.
good speach geek!:D

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Wo bro Im not denying my geeknessness:D
though i wasnt picked on more like ignored. But thats not the point.
Does it trubble you that much that you were picked on in school.
Didnt you pick back!:D :D
Im just saying it was hella fun messing with the cool kids.:D
Besides it was my experience to have many friends-
Dorks, dweebs, rockers, retards, jerks, jocks, hotties, and haters, and anyone in between!
there is strength in numbers.

Her454
03-24-2004, 08:35 PM
which is actually why I posted this thread. At the risk of being criticized for not caring about my daughters health, I do. I am very concerned about her back issues and at the same time her emotional health too. Shes never really been one to succumb to peer pressure and pretty much does her own thing but no one likes to be singled out, especially in High School. I was simply looking for suggestions or an alternative to being the "geek" with the rollaround.
Not wanting to fit the "Mommy Dearest" profile or be the subject of a book later....I killed my neighbor cuz my mom made me a roll around a backpack in High School. :rolleyes:

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
the bottom line is, as long as her thong is higher than her hip huggers, nobody who matters will call geek on the roller bag! ;)

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:37 PM
really:rolleyes:
Whats the worste that could happen.
Shell get ragged on for a couple of days and then the attention will move on to some other stupid llittle thing.
its not like she'll be labled as the roller chick!
Your making to big a deal out of this!

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 08:41 PM
its not like she'll be labled as the roller chick!
Heather Graham became famous for her portrail of a Roller Girl! ;)

572Daytona
My daughters have the rolling ones but in some ways those are worse. The wheels and handle add even more weight which she has to dead lift to climb on the bus, etc. And there are times she even puts that on her back so that she can have both hands free. I don't really understand the locker thing either. I didn't use a backpack at all in high school, I was able to finish 90% of my homework in school which would leave me with usually only 1 book to take home. And I would usually prioritize my work by doing the subjects with the heaviest books first in study hall. Some stuff like math you could get away with just writing down the problems on a sheet of paper and putting it in your pocket. No books needed.

rrrr
Originally posted by RiverDave
Remember.... ;) Geek in school, Geek for life.
RD
I can picture RD hanging from a coat hook in the boy's
locker room....
:D :D :D

Her454
03-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Your making to big a deal out of this!
Maybe. Still didnt get layed hu?:D

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
Daytona
Shes supposed to rollllllllll the bag with the rollers .
:D :p
Not carry it!:D

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 08:45 PM
....she needs to have a spot in the office that she can put the books down that she's not using in between classes or something..
Yeah, that's real cool!!! http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif :p

572Daytona
03-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Daytona
Shes supposed to rollllllllll the bag with the rollers .
:D :p
Not carry it!:D
Have another beer...she can't roll it up the stairs on the bus or onto her desk or table and she can't roll it if she has to carry something else to school with two hands such as a project that is due.

AleAlchemist
03-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah realy have her hang out at the office all day, that will get her some cool points!:D
Nice ONE!
I cant take any more:rolleyes:
Im out!

Her454
03-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Believe it or not I was one of the skinny "cool" kids in highschool.. unfortunately now I'm going to be one of the fat and bald guys at the 10year reunion.. LOL :D
RD
And thats another thing.......I dont want her stressing out right before her 10 year reunion hoping people dont remember her as the chick with the rolling back pack....LOL ;)

rrrr
03-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Believe it or not I was one of the skinny "cool" kids in highschool.. unfortunately now I'm going to be one of the fat and bald guys at the 10year reunion.. LOL :D
RD
Just 120 months to go from cool to back of the room material... Life is so cruel...... :D :D

mike37
03-24-2004, 08:56 PM
roller back packs are not cool
dam gess my kids not cool
but he is only 10
I will tell all his girl friends he is not cool
an to stop hangin on him

TheEduKATor
03-24-2004, 08:57 PM
I've been a Teacher for the past 5 years. I completely side with the parents on this one but I see it from both sides as well. If we still had lockers in our schools, parents would still be on our backs when some student pulled out a shotgun on monday that was stuffed in there locker over the weekend when the school was empty. Between passing periods this student then opens fire on a quad full of students who are sitting ducks. We'd have to explain how we could let this happen, why don't we check every single locker every single day.
Most of you are right, there is not enough money or resources to keep up the mainting either. Not to mention most schools were never equipped to handle the increase in student population. Some of our high schools have almost 3 thousand students. Times have changed.
In case most you don't know we now have a few special additions in the school system for the safety of your children. We have mulitiple police officers with guns, not some rent a cop security guards. O yeah and police dogs are also on our campus to sniff out classrooms and backpacks. They do random classroom visits. Students are asked to wait in the halls with their teachers while the dogs sniff the room for drugs, weapons, alcohol and bombs. When I was in high school we had a fire bell and an earthquake alarm. We now have a terrorist threat bell, and an entire lockdown of the campus bell. Pretty scary considering I've had to personally go throw almost 10 lockdowns at my old school site. Before we had these new policies at my old site, and before the lockers were taken down, I had to witness the death of a student who kept the gun in his locker and decided to go after his girlfriend who just dumped him. He couldn't find her so he started to shoot randomly at students then at SWAT police officers, he eventually took his life in front of thousands of students. That's not something I would want your child to witness.
Believe me when I tell you that we are not here to make your son or daughters lives miserable by not having lockers. Ask your child to talk to the teacher about storing their books in the classroom. I personally issue a book to be kept at home for HOME work, and I have class sets for class work. I also let students store their books in my room that they have for other classes. However I am personally responsible for these books once they are in my classroom even if they aren't for my class, and most new textbooks aren't cheap. These books used to get ruined from moisture when students would leave them in their lockers over the weekend. That being said, I would personally rather look uncool than dead.

mike37
03-24-2004, 09:02 PM
when some student pulled out a shotgun on monday that was stuffed in there locker over the weekend
how did they get it to school in there back pack
and that is were it is now that there are no lockers

Her454
03-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Edukator, Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your comments and your view from the inside. Not to mention the appreciation for your dedication. Takes alot to be a teacher these days.

Her454
03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Well I'm not really going to argue the locker dealio, but I gotta admit I'm not really sure I see the logic in it?
A handgun fits just as easily in a back pack as it does a locker? hell with some of the baggy clothes that kids are wearing now days you could stuff a pretty decent arsenal in there?
RD
Just last week a kid was expelled and sent home for carrying a gun to school :eek:

RiverToysJas
03-24-2004, 09:12 PM
Shotguns in lockers! WTF? Times they have changed. Coolest thing anyone in my high school had in their locker was a car battery, a car stereo head unit (cassette of course ;) ), and a 6x9! No room for books, but he could pump the tunes between classes!!! http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/airguitar.gif http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/djmix.gif http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/909er.gif

TheEduKATor
03-24-2004, 09:24 PM
It was 5 years ago when the student stored the gun in his locker and decided to take shooting practice on kids in the quad. This was when we still had lockers. They were torn down pretty soon after.
I didn't say that all these safety measure are fool proof. If kids want to bring something they are probably going to find a way. My point was we are trying to do our best. Keep in mind we are supposed to be teachers, not screeners at an airport. We don't have metal detectors at every door when a student walks into a class. I don't have a personal sniffing dog by my side all day. I see roughly 220 students a day. If I had to personally search every student with baggy pants or a backpack that looked suspicious, I might be done when class ended, so when I am supposed to be teach. If I see something that looks out of the ordinary, I notify the police, and administration, so they can handle the students dealing drugs and bringing guns, this way I can deal with the students who want to learn so they don't lose out on their education because of some knucklehead.

DEEZ NUTTS
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Except for a physical handicap, what the hell is wrong with using a little strength and stamina. Makes me sick to see so many kids waddle home to the Playstation. Lugging a 50lb load around all day sounds like the only exercise a lot of kids are getting nowdays. I dont remember anybody giving a crap in my day about any of this in my day. I am 28yrs old and disgusted with the way kids are treated. Are we breeding pansies? Give the kids a splitting wedge and a cord or two of wood to split. That backpack wont be bad after all. School is a kids job, do your job and carry the books.

DeltaSigBoater
03-24-2004, 11:50 PM
I didn't bring my books to school/class in middle school and high school, nor do i bring them to class now.
I know this when you have to buy you books you tend to take better care of them vs. when they were just issued to you.
One of my instructors required a book that was 70pages long and good 'ol Aztec Shops (oncampus bookstore) charged me $87.50, thats f***ing 1.25 per page WTF!!!

Her454
03-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by DEEZ NUTTS
Except for a physical handicap, what the hell is wrong with using a little strength and stamina. Makes me sick to see so many kids waddle home to the Playstation. Lugging a 50lb load around all day sounds like the only exercise a lot of kids are getting nowdays. I dont remember anybody giving a crap in my day about any of this in my day. I am 28yrs old and disgusted with the way kids are treated. Are we breeding pansies? Give the kids a splitting wedge and a cord or two of wood to split. That backpack wont be bad after all. School is a kids job, do your job and carry the books.
Just for the record, we live in the country and I'd match my daughter up next to you for stamina and day of the year as she helps split wood every year. She doesn't like it but she knows it helps keep her warm in the winter. :)
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
I didn't bring my books to school/class in middle school and high school, nor do i bring them to class now.
I know this when you have to buy you books you tend to take better care of them vs. when they were just issued to you.
One of my instructors required a book that was 70pages long and good 'ol Aztec Shops (oncampus bookstore) charged me $87.50, thats f***ing 1.25 per page WTF!!!
Not really sure what your point is but at any rate I have a hard time taking anyone serious thats already graduated high school and packs a loaded shotgun in his boat AND fires at PWC'rs. Not at them, just in the air tho. ;)

fourspeednup
03-25-2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
Shotguns in lockers! WTF? Times they have changed. Coolest thing anyone in my high school had in their locker was a car battery, a car stereo head unit (cassette of course ;) ), and a 6x9! No room for books, but he could pump the tunes between classes!!! http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/airguitar.gif http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/djmix.gif http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/909er.gif
I thought I was sooo cool! Guess I wasn't the first huh?:cool:

spectratoad
03-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Well my kids have both rolling backpacks as well as most of the kids in the school. Must be a totally unpopular school. Oh wait it is a private school where they wear uniforms (blue slacks and white polo shirts, I point this out because uniforms don't have to look like uniforms) and don't have to deal with all of the "what's cool this week crap" They go to school and learn not try to have the coolest tennis shoes, greatest clothes etc... They even carry lunch boxes :eek:
Personally I think all the schools should be uniforms and closed campuses. And since I still pay a very large portion of my property taxes to the school district as well as the tuition for the private school that sees none of the property tax I should be able to help set the rules for the future generations that are being developed in my schools.
HER454 - You are most likely a good parent. This job doesn't come with directions so we just get through each day and try to make the right choices for our kids and no matter how much they learn from us they will still have the same questions.:D
I am probably a little partial to uniforms since I have been wearing a military one for 15 years.
:D

OGShocker
03-25-2004, 08:11 AM
You post a thread asking for opinions then, act like people are smacking you as being a "bad" parent. You are being a good friend to your child. That is NOT what she needs. She needs someone that thinks FOR her once in awhile. Cut the damn straps off that backpack and place it in a little red wagon for a week. She will beg you for a rollerbag in no time!!!

Jungle Boy
03-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Things have sure changed since I was at school. I didn't have books, homework, backpacks, guns or knives. uuuummm,,Maybe that's why they asked me to leave in grade 10. Now it's all starting to make sense. :D :cool:
I do remember my daughter's pack being very heavy too, then she starting getting less and less homework and books too. :frown: It didn't matter what was said or done, she did not like to be in school. She home schools now, and still dislikes it.
They say the nut don't fall from the tree. :mad: :( :(

superdave013
03-25-2004, 09:41 AM
JB, I was pretty much thinking the same thing! lol
But I did have drugs and a few other things. They did no good in a locker. Kept that shit in my pocket!
Books? lol, mine were in "like new condition" at the end of the year it seemed.
Locker was a good spot to keep a skateboard though. :)

NastyOne
03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
with kids that carry backpacks. Have you lifted your kids backpack lately? My daughter has been having some back and shoulder pain and her pediatrician said that her backpack is probably the problem (along with some normal growing pains). I lifted it last weekend and I swear it weighed over 50lbs! She has to carry this thing ALL day long and then lug it home with her because the schools no longer have lockers for the kids. Lots of reasons for this but mostly due to drugs and weapons. Nothing like when I was a kid. She wont get one that rolls - its just not cool. :rolleyes: She carries all her books...heavy books...art stuff and of course her makeup........is this typical?
Maybe its her Boobs that are heavy.

DeltaSigBoater
03-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Not really sure what your point is but at any rate I have a hard time taking anyone serious thats already graduated high school. ;)
You know what I’m glad that I’ve graduated high school; I hated all the high school drama and daily bullshit!
We all remember the "she said, he said, that so&so did something with someone" crap.
You daughter might not think its cool to roll a piece of carry-on luggage around school, and that’s you’re daughter’s view on the issue and a valid one at that.
Here is a solution; have your daughter ask her teachers what will be covered in a 2-week period. Take the books down to the local copy center and copy the said pages. Result she still takes the required materials to school, but lightens her daily load and doesn’t have to worry about being perceived as a geek w/ a roll-around backpack.
Just my $0.02