PDA

View Full Version : is this worth it?

502procharger
08-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Ok here is the story, i came acrost a bbc 540 that did not sell on e-bay. it has a dart intake, manley pro series rods, scat billet crank, custome oil pan with trap doors(for what)flow bench ported gm heads with manley valves, cmi headders that are cracked( i will explain below)msd dist, and ign box, imco pullies and valve covers JE pistons, roller cam lifteres rockers, the list goes on 634hp on a dyno. here are the bad parts. The story goes, or so i am told that the motor was in the boat running pretty hard when he noticed steam coming out of the engine hatch. he shut it down and found the sea water pump hose had come off and the engine was very hot(no shit) he said he put it back on and started the boat and let it idle to cool it off. he also said he ran it the rest of the day, but new something was wrong with the headders(they cracked from the heat) he put it back on the trailer, shut it off. a week or so latter he went to run it and it turned over very slow. he thought it was the starter, removed it and tested it , and it was fine. some more time passed before he messed with it again. he put a bar on it and tried to turn it over becaue the starter was fine and it would only turn it over very slow. well now it will not turn over at all. pulle the plugs put oil in the cyl. and has not touched it since. i want to build a sec motor and i do not know if it is worth the 2500 he wants for it. all the parts are worth some money if they are ok, i will not know until i rip it down. what do you guys thing? is it worth it. i figure worst case i should be able to part it out for some good cash. help me

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 08:15 PM
Bearings???? Hmmmmmm I dunno

502procharger
08-21-2002, 08:29 PM
i am sure i am going to have to go through all the bearings and stuff, but it is so god dam expensive to build a motor from scratch. also it would be nice to have my stock 502 also to through back in the boat when i sell it. i would like to build a 800hp 540 with my procharger i do not think that will be that hard, but i would hate to sell the boat with it, or have to buy another motor when i do sell it. do you think the story adds up?

08-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Are you a gambling man? It might be onehellofadeal if not much is hurt but it could turn out that there is very few parts worth salvaging. Block could be laced with cracks, crank blackened, rods spun and heads heated so bad the seats fall out. Still interested?

502procharger
08-21-2002, 08:46 PM
i know, i know. it could go either way. i am not that worried about the block, i can get a merlin at a fair price. i just wanted some opinions on what people thought. the good thing is it did not happen while the motor was running, that is a good sign that the rods (might) still be ok. the other thing that made me interested in it was the fact that it was not knocking or anything when he shut it off, he did not even know it was not going to re-start after he put it on the trailer until he tried a week later. who knows. is there anthing i can look at when i go and see the motor without ripping into it that might help me? if you were a betting man what would you do?

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 08:47 PM
502procharger:
i am sure i am going to have to go through all the bearings and stuff, but it is so god dam expensive to build a motor from scratch. also it would be nice to have my stock 502 also to through back in the boat when i sell it. i would like to build a 800hp 540 with my procharger i do not think that will be that hard, but i would hate to sell the boat with it, or have to buy another motor when i do sell it. do you think the story adds up?Gut instinct always help.
So what does your gut tell you?
Go with that....and the post before this...cracks???? Yikes!!

502procharger
08-21-2002, 08:54 PM
my guts tell me to get it, but that might just be becase nothing is ever powerfull enough or fast enough for me. that is why i need advise so i do not make a decition based soley on my need for speed. my poor girlfriend
thanks ty

KC
08-21-2002, 08:59 PM
your 502 with a procharger should be making 600+hp... why not build a motor that you can swap components between the new one and the 502.
that way you could build a 502 up to 500+hp and then add the procharger to the equation.
KC

502procharger
08-21-2002, 09:04 PM
that is probably what will end up happening if i do not get this motor. i just wanted to have 2. i around 800hp and one to sell the boat with. my 502 with the procharger is around 600hp and runs strong, i just have problems with enough never being enough. i am sure you guys understand.

lakesmodified
08-22-2002, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 502procharger:
[QB]my guts tell me to get it, but that might just be becase nothing is ever powerfull enough or fast enough for me. that is why i need advise so i do not make a decition based soley on my need for speed. my poor girlfriend
Dude, I would offer the guy $1000.00 up front as a deposit to allow you to take the engine home and tear it down for inspection. If it's salvageable, then pay him the additional cash, if not, hold the engine until he refunds your $1000.00 Good luck, sounds like a great deal if it's in decent shape. Ivan

shockwaveharry
08-22-2002, 04:03 PM
What stage Pro Charger do you run?

502procharger
08-22-2002, 04:03 PM
m1 with 7lbs

shockwaveharry
08-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Damn, that was fast! The reason I ask is that I built a 7.5:1 cr 540 with the intention of running a stage 3 ProCharger. Long story short, I built the motor and when the blower arrived it ended up being a stage 1. When I discussed it with the tech guys at ProCharger they told me max boost with the 540 would be 3 psi. They said the M1 just isn't big enough for the stroker motor. I never installed it so I can't confirm but the guy on the phone seemed pretty sure it wouldn't make more boost.

502procharger
08-22-2002, 04:19 PM
i am running a 2.75 pully on a 12 rib system. it is supposed to make like 10lbs on a 500hp, but my cam is so big that it only makes 6-7lbs on my 502. i know you can make more boost with the 12 rib system for some reason. i think it is because you can run a much smaller top pully and still not have it slip. anyway it should still build at least 5lbs on this motor, but if not i will sell it and get the bigger one.

502procharger
08-22-2002, 04:20 PM
i am going to see it tomorow. i will pull the valve covers and oil pan to see what if anything i can see. i have limmited time. i talked to the guy this afternoon again and was asking him exactly what happend to see if his story changed at all, it did not. i looked him up on e-bay where he sells a lot of engines and drives to see his feedback, not one bad thing in 6 months or 60 sales. all good stuff from buyers. he assured me that nothing broke while the motor was running and that after he put the hose back on the sea water pump and let it cool he drove it without a problem for 1/2 hr or so and put it on the trailer. if was not until a few days later when he went to start it he found out something was wrong. he repaced the battery thinking it went dead and would not turn the motor over, that did not do it so he removed the starter to test that. whren the starter was fine he put a bar on the crank and it was very hard to turn. that was the last he touched it. he pulled the motor, put oil in the cyl. and put a differant motor in his boat. i gave him shit about ruining his rep over a few grand, and was it worth it to him to knowingly screw me knowing i would tell everyone i know, and he agreed that it would not be worth a fer grand to make a bad name for himself. he could still be full of shit, but i just have a gut feeling he is telling he the truth. does that mean the motor is not shot, hell know. is it worth the gambe to me? probably id]f the crank and rods look good. hell i should be able to part this thing out even if a bunch of stuff is shot and it is not worth rebuilding for about what i will have into it. please give me whatever feedback you guys have before tomorow.

shockwaveharry
08-22-2002, 04:32 PM
If you don't get it, give me his number.

502procharger
08-22-2002, 04:39 PM
oh, now it is worth something! lol. i will give you his info if i do not get it. or if i do get it and it is not worth it to me to rebuild, you can let me know what parts you may need. i will let you know.
Brian

502procharger
08-22-2002, 04:40 PM
i am sick of this 3 star crap, will one of you go and give me 5 stars already. lol
Brian

Fiat48
08-22-2002, 06:17 PM
I would value all the parts I could see at 1/2 the value of new. Heads, valve covers, manifold, etc. Scat Billet crank??? Are you sure? There's lot's of scat models of cranks. Pull the pan, look at the bearings..especially main bearings. If it has been that hot..consider all the exhaust valves need replacement. Value it as parts only and you will not be hurt.

502procharger
08-22-2002, 06:25 PM
that is what i plan to do. the guy said it is the scat billet crank, and he knows his stuff. my problem is i do not know what all the accessories are worth. pump, alt, msd box, dist, rev lim., imco valve covers and pullies, high per holley fuel pump with braided lines, $700 new oil pan with trap doors, dart intake, ect. that does not even include if any or most of the inners are in good shape. i do not feel like i would really get hurt, worst case i should be able to sell most of these parts. even the cmi headers with a crack in one has to be worth a few bucks to the richt person. if you know the value of any of these parts used i would live to know some of them

lakesmodified
08-22-2002, 07:12 PM
502procharger:
i am sick of this 3 star crap, will one of you go and give me 5 stars already. lol
BrianDONE!!!!! :)

502procharger
08-22-2002, 07:19 PM
you DA mac. macaroni. thanks
come one guys only one star to go.

shockwaveharry
08-23-2002, 08:14 AM
502procharger:
...come one guys only one star to go.I tried... :)

502procharger
08-23-2002, 06:44 PM
it's all good. i will reach that 5 stars someday. lol

502procharger
08-24-2002, 11:25 AM
well i got it, got a fair price. now comes the fun part of ripping it all down and seeing just how bad it is. it does have a ton a good parts, and the heads lool to be in good shape with no cracks that i can see. all of the valves were still in good shape and move freely. we will see what else i find. thanks again everyone for all the help and advice. if any of you know what i should start with, and or how to check these parts as i rip it down please let me know.
brian