PDA

View Full Version : River Time/Ramp Entertainment

HotHallet
03-25-2004, 12:20 PM
I was thinking about the river today and the summer to come and how many good times I have had after my boats back on the trailer for the day and I head to the ramp with a cooler full of adult soda pops and a lawn chair and watch the morons. It's so fun to go down and watch some of these folks. Husbands yelling at their wives on the ramp-the wife trying to back up a Sea Doo trailer with a Superduty on 44's and Jacknifing it. The situations and scenarios are endless. Last summer it was trailer bunk follies as two different people backed their trailers down the ramp and one of the bunks floated up off the rear mount. I told one guy to duct tape it but he chose to hold the bunk down with his hand while his buddy pulled the boat out and almost lost a hand. Another guy saw his bunk float up from the rear mount so he pulled the trailer back out and walked back with the trailer still on the ramp before going in the water and pressed the bunk back onto the mount with the lag screws gone-like it was going to stay the minute the trailer entered the water. Some people have no clue. Anyways feel free to share your stories about ramp bloopers. I have seen it all in the 25+years I have been boating. When you see people sink their motorhome after forgetting to set the e-brake it tends to stick in your mind!

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 12:25 PM
I've heard of and seen many peeps forgetting to remove the transom straps from the boat while launching!
I've seen a freeboard challanged boat put about 50 gallons of water over the transom from forgetting that....
Some very experienced boaters I know have done that!

HotHallet
03-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Eventhough veteran boaters make mistakes now and then!

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 12:32 PM
I've also seen the common forget to put the outdrive up scenario on the ramp a few times......The driver is always wondering why everyone is screaming at them! :mad:

HotHallet
03-25-2004, 12:35 PM
I saw a guy driving down the 95 through Laughlin once with the drive down on his boat! Oh the beauty of owning a jet or v-drive!

Lightning
03-25-2004, 12:39 PM
I saw a guy last year bouncing his outboard on the gravel road to the launch ramp at Martinez Lake

dimarcobros
03-25-2004, 12:41 PM
I have seen a couple "forgot the plug" situations and the people freaking out instead of driving forward to let the water drain and then jumping in to plug it.
DMB

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Maveric Marine has an outdrive lower and prop on their "hall of shame" wall. Never seen such a flatted steg and flattenend prop that matched so perfectly!
Apparently the dude's ice chest hit the trim button and it kicked the drive all the way down while he was driving.
Couldn't have been cheap!!!!!!

DeltaSigBoater
03-25-2004, 01:00 PM
When I was about 6 or 7 there was this jet boat pulling out next to us on the ramp. Trailer backs in, jet boat drives on, driver yells to OK, then gives the boat gas, Trailer starts to pull out, just as it happens, engine of jet boat dies.
Oh did I mention that the float bar was not attached to the bow eye.

CA Stu
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
First off, I had to float in the water for an hour plus while some brainless asswipe tried to get his pontoon on the trailer. Of course, I was having beers the whoile time laughing at him. BUT karma can be swift and very mean!
I had half a beer buzz, so I let a buddy of mine try and back my trailer down the ramp at Takeoff Point. He was a greenpea trailer backer-upper, the parking lot was crowded, and he put the tailgate down on my truck to see what the hell he was doing, promptly jackknifed the truck and mangled my tailgate. :mad:
I jumped over the side and swam to shore, backed the trailer in myself. Then I knocked a bunk clean off my trailer. :mad:
Power steering actuator pump failed on the boat, I had a buzzo and gave it some gas (wayyy too much) and couldn't turn the wheel and BANG! There went my bunk. :mad:
Then I yelled at the guy driving my truck (towing my now ****ed up trailer) to meet me at Havasu Springs: it's a big place, we couldn't find each other. :mad:
After much pleading, I rented a slip at HS (they usually only rent to people staying there) and of course, I had left my shoes and shirt in my truck when I swam to shore earlier! Luckinly I had some cash and bought a shirt and some $10 flip flops and took off looking for my pal with my truck.
2 of us ended up walking a couple of miles down the Highway towards Parker before our partner found us, he thought we wer going to be pissed off out of our minds, but it was such an unbelievable afternoon, all I could do was laugh.
The next day, the boat shop at HS fixed my trailer, and we were back in business. All's well that ends well, I reckon. :D
CA Stu
PS, Of course there were a couple of ladies at the launch ramp, hanging out drinking sodas in deck chairs enjoying the drama. Nothing like an audience to bring out the best in me.
:rolleyes:

fourspeednup
03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I've also seen the common forget to put the outdrive up scenario on the ramp a few times......The driver is always wondering why everyone is screaming at them! :mad:
Ouch, saw that one last week. That sound, kind of a combo of nails on chalkboard and a rock tumbler:frown:
Makes me sick to my stomach even when it's someone else:yuk:

BADBLOWN572
03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
I have so many different ones it is hard to recall all of them. A couple of the more memorable ones are:
1) We blew a drive at Katherines Landing on Labor Day 2 years ago. We got towed in and placed on the courtesy docks next to the launch ramp. A brand new Eliminator Daytona was being backed down the ramp behind a new truck and the guy was in the boat. His wife/girlfriend was backing the truck down. It was obvious that it was her first time backing any truck and trailer. Labor day was not the best time to learn. :rolleyes: She jacknifed the truck into the boat messing up the truck and trailer. The guy was screaming while it was happening, but she must have had the stereo up because she didn't hear him. After it happend she stopped with the boat and trailer still jacknifed. He hopped out of the boat furious. He went over to the truck, pulled her out by her hair, and slapped her right on the ramp. :mad: At that point in time, about 10 guys, who saw what had happened, went over and "introduced" themselves while the cops showed up and took him into custody. :argue:
2) At Cottonwood we saw a guy take a V drive off of the trailer and hold it while the other guy parked the truck. When the other guy got back, they both got into the boat and the guy went to fire the boat, but didn't know it was in forward and not neutral and proceeded to drive his boat up the ramp.
A lot of the time on Holiday weekends, we put the boat in the water early and get off by the time that all of the drunks are waking up. We often stay at a house that boarders a launch ramp in Parker and one of my favorite pastimes is to sit on the seawall and drink beer watching everyone screw up.

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
At Cottonwood we saw a guy take a V drive off of the trailer and hold it while the other guy parked the truck. When the other guy got back, they both got into the boat and the guy went to fire the boat, but didn't know it was in forward and not neutral and proceeded to drive his boat up the ramp.
Sounds like the movie "The Great Outdoors"! :D

rivercrazy
03-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Another good one I saw at Rotary Park in Bullhead was a guy got his boat on the trailer. He was blitzed and expected the driver to hook up the bow strap. After screwing around in the boat doing other things he told the driver to go cause the boat was sitting someone on the bunks (he drove the boat partially on the trailer).
The driver hits the gas and there is good sized bump in the ramp. The boat slides half way off the trailer and snaps the bowl on the jet drive and mashes the nozzle.
About 8 guys go over and help get the boat on the trailer but the boat driver was just a little ticked off!

welk2party
03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
So many stories to recall. All of them make me smile. Including the ones where I am the ^%$hole.
:eek: :rolleyes: :D

wsuwrhr
03-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I've heard of and seen many peeps forgetting to remove the transom straps from the boat while launching!
I've seen a freeboard challanged boat put about 50 gallons of water over the transom from forgetting that....
Some very experienced boaters I know have done that!
GUILTY, luckily it was at Crane's and no-one saw.
Brian

Havasu_Jet_85
03-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Ive seen the normal fist fights at Site 6. People cant back up the trailers. People trying to pull their sea doo's on the trailer and goes to fast and ends up in the back of the truck or on the launch ramp LOL. And always people that cant pull out their boat with the 2wd.(thanks for the 4x4) Cant wait to watch some more people this year.

DeltaSigBoater
03-25-2004, 10:09 PM
I am very nice to people on the launch ramp, but the thing that gets me is people that talk shit to me when loading my boat on the trailer, what's with that? Its not like I take my sweet ass time, I can uasally have the boat on the trailer 'level' and hauled out in 30-60 seconds. Any thoughts, comments, &/or questions?

Flying Tiger
03-26-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by DeltaSigBoater
I am very nice to people on the launch ramp, but the thing that gets me is people that talk shit to me when loading my boat on the trailer, what's with that? Its not like I take my sweet ass time, I can uasally have the boat on the trailer 'level' and hauled out in 30-60 seconds. Any thoughts, comments, &/or questions?
My words to everyone is to ignor the @$$holes, and be polite to everyone, and if an @$$hole gives us friction (seems to be the main pastime at 6), chances are someone else will eventually correct his behavior.
I was sitting at the RoadRunner one morning & watching a couple frantically putting their boat back on the trailer because they forgot the drain plugs.
I looked over at my boat tied to the floating dock noticing the bilge pump was really pumping a lot of water,, then it donned on me why.
No time to put it back on the trailer,,, I jumped in and put the plug in, in the water,,,

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 06:19 AM
I am very nice to people on the launch ramp, but the thing that gets me is people that talk shit to me when loading my boat on the trailer, what's with that? Its not like I take my sweet ass time, I can uasally have the boat on the trailer 'level' and hauled out in 30-60 seconds. Any thoughts, comments, &/or questions? Between truck, trailer and boat, most folks have $50K or more on the line. Take your time to be comfortable, just don't be stupid. Loading/unloading junk while on the ramp etc...

roostwear
03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
It's confession time......
Last weekend launching at Lazy Harry's in BHC I was the entertainment. First time there, lot was kinda full, blah, blah, blah. Looked like a newbie wagging down the ramp. I'm so ashamed...........

CA Stu
03-26-2004, 11:59 AM
You can't control anyone's behavior apart from your own. Be a gentleman and if other folks are un-gentlemanly, it's on them.
I try to help out folks that are having problems regardless. I know it's nice to have someone offer to help rather than just sit and look at you or worse give you crap while you're already stressed out.
A little common sense and courtesy does go a long way, I reckon.
Is it just me, or has Lake Havasu recently become a magnet for every dork (and/or dorkette) with an attitude for 300 miles around?
Cheers
CA Stu

DeltaSigBoater
03-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
You can't control anyone's behavior apart from your own. Be a gentleman and if other folks are un-gentlemanly, it's on them.
I try to help out folks that are having problems regardless. I know it's nice to have someone offer to help rather than just sit and look at you or worse give you crap while you're already stressed out.
A little common sense and courtesy does go a long way, I reckon.
I see what you mean, I don't mind people offering to lend a hand, especially when the engine is dead and I have to float the boat on the trailer. I always thank those who do help, by saying “Thank You For Your Help” along with telling them to stop by the later for cocktails. Now when I am not in need of assistance and politely turn help away that’s when people start getting pissed, like I have insulted them by not taking there help.
Hell I’ve even offered people help on the ramp, and when they say no, I back away and watch the show unfold.
Another pet peeve of mine is the people who let their kids play in the water and on ramp.

LOANER
03-26-2004, 04:28 PM
FOR GRINS WE HAD A GREAT ONE HERE IN S.D. AT MISSION BAY. IT WS DEAD OF WINTER AND NO ONE AROUND THE RAMP WHEN WE PULLED UP TO PUT THE BEAST IN THE WATER FOR SOME CHECK OUT RUNS AFTER THE TUNE UP.
WHILE BACKING IN SOME GUY CAME UP SCREAMING TO STOP. WE STOPPED THINKING WE MISSED SOMETHING MAJOR.
THE POOR GUY TOLD US WE COULDNT LAUCH BECAUSE JUST BEHIND US BELOW THE MURKY WATER WAS HIS NISSAN PICKUP WITH THE PWC STILL TIED UP IN THE BED.
HE HAD PULLED UP REAL CLOSE THE REAR TIRES HALF SUBMERGED AND GOT OUT TO UNTIE THE PWC AND SLIDE IT OUT OF HIS BED, THEN SHUT THE DOOR AND FORGOT THE EBRAKE. THAT WAS ALL SHE WROTE ON THAT SLIMY RAMP.
TOW TRUCK CAME SHORTLY THEREAFTER. NO IDEA HOW IT RAN AFTER THE SUBMARINE USAGE.
DONT FORGET THE EBRAKE!

BigDogIvan
03-26-2004, 09:29 PM
We have seen many different goings on on the ramp that I could not begin to tell. We try hard to get in and get out quickly. screw with putting things away up in the parking lot. Same goes for putting the boat in. When we are in line or on the ramp, the boat is ready and all is in the boat that needs to be. BUT, The one thing that realy burns my arss is the bone heads that are waiting for there trailers or the person thet parked the trailer and wait right in the middle of the works just off the ramp. My wife puts the boat on and off the trailer, but when she is waiting for me with or with out the trailer she goes way out of the way and keeps an ey out for me. As the trailer goes in she is working herself to it. There are SOOO many times that we are in and out of the water when there are several that were in before us and still there dicking around after we are out.
BD

Ivan Dan
03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
The most memorable one I witnessed was a family of about 6 in a 19' jetboat outside of Site 6. My brother and I were waiting for our buddy to get the truck and trailer along with about 15-20 other boats (it was 4th of July weekend). This family wasn't paying attention and had the stern of the boat facing the incoming breakers. Their boat was swamping over with every breaker rolling in. I made eye contact with the guy and told him his boat was sinking and about 5 seconds later it turned upright and they all had to jump off. All of their personal belongings (coolers, water toys, food, etc.) were scattered all over the lake. About 3-4 of us jumped in the water Baywatch style and helped them get safely onto a near by boat. It was scarey how fast it all happened and turned upright.

DryHeatOnly
03-27-2004, 01:46 AM
While kicking back on Rainbo Beach in Needles a few years back on Labor Day, I looked up towards the earthen point on my left only to see my uncle's Ford Ranger slowly floating downstream. All you saw was the top rear corner of the shell. People freaked of course. I sprinted up the point to see if he was still on the ramp or in the truck (as many of us thought). He was ok...so was the wasted dude he had asked to back the truck down the ramp. They both had bailed in time.
The truck sunk in about 8'-10' of swift moving water right in front of the beach. They were able to call in a diver and fish the truck out the next day - totalled. (The 2 sets of golf clubs inside were ok!)
If anyone knows the old ramp by the gas dock, you'd probably agree that was too narrow, too steep, and all beat to shit.
They wound up closing that ramp forever and building a nice new one in time for the following season. Thanks Rich! ;)

Buff
03-27-2004, 06:56 AM
Alcohol to extreme excess, hours and even days of hundred plus heat, a variety of smokable and snortable drugs, crowded ramps and parking lots, inexperience, oblivious idiots, spousal wars, general rudeness, and new boat nervousness all conspire to give us the phenomena of ramp antics. Anyone that has been riverizing for any length of time has probably seen just about all of the above behaviors in some form or another. Most of us have, at terrible times, engaged in the behaviors. It's a learning curve and some learn faster than others. These days I just try and be polite and patient, offer help to the stressed, and try and remember we are all there to have fun. That guy that grapped his wife by the hair and slapped her in front of everyone maybe I should have tried that years ago with my old lady instead of spending endless hours with as she practiced backing up the trailer. Might have saved us both a lot of time. Funny thing is all the years i have been going to the river i have seen women slap the shit of of their husbands and boyfriends but never vice-versa. And the cops never showed up to take any of those away. buf

moneysucker
03-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Down at Hidden Shores when ramp action was slow I actually pulled my old tahiti out of the water after puting it on the trailer backwards. I got my perfect score from the crowd and backed in again and flipped it around. I have also lost a tire on the ramp while pulling the boat out. The tire went flat while sitting in the lot all day. I will let people suffer if they are being dicks. If they need help after a rough day on the water with the family I will lend a hand. Kids and dogs on the ramp is f'd up.

CA Stu
03-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Buff
Alcohol to extreme excess, hours and even days of hundred plus heat, a variety of smokable and snortable drugs, crowded ramps and parking lots, inexperience, oblivious idiots, spousal wars, general rudeness, and new boat nervousness
I thought this was an invitation to a River trip until I read the rest of the post ;)
CA Stu

DeltaSigBoater
03-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Buff
Alcohol to extreme excess, hours and even days of hundred plus heat, a variety of smokable and snortable drugs, crowded ramps and parking lots, inexperience, oblivious idiots, spousal wars, general rudeness, and new boat nervousness all conspire to give us the phenomena of ramp antics.
I have no idea what you're talking about with this variety of snortable drugs, that you speak of!

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 10:55 AM
We were out yesterday for the first warm and sunny weekend of the season at Mission Bay. Yes every Yayhoo in town with a $750 dollar boat was out there. Along with the San Diego contingent of the Oakland Raiders support staff....
I watched a "large" lady attempt to back in a seadoo trailer for 5 minutes....
zig...zag....pull forward........
.zig...zag....jacknife...pull forward.....
zig...zag....jacknife...pull forward...
She finall saw the line of rigs waiting to launch so she left. I can only assume so she could practice in the parking lot.
When it was time leave, same deal......lots of knuckleheads. My new neighbor who had come along for our maiden voyage said he could back down the empty trailer. He said he could do it no problem. I wasn't about to let him pull the boat on....so off he went. I dropped him off at the beach and he trots up the truck. He pulls up the ramp and waits to see what lane is available........far side....he scoots past everyone and whips that trailer right down the ramp in the lane, nice and straight......:jawdrop:
Hot Damn. I'm liking the new neighbors!!!
Pull it up and pull it out....30 seconds, done.
:cool: :cool: :cool: Adios YayHoos!

little rowe boat
03-29-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm sorry I don't enjoy watching people damage their expensive toys,I prefer to lend a hand.What goes around comes around.

welk2party
03-29-2004, 11:33 AM
I help whenever possible. However, I am usually in and out so fast that I don't have time. This year will be the first year that it will be me by myself or just the wife most of the time. Should be interesting.

Debbolas
03-29-2004, 04:02 PM
We just bought a new boat (26ft) our old boat was 19tf.
I get to take the boat off and put it on the trailer while Mr. Scream backs it down. He use to get so mad at me because I would RAM the boat onto the trailer....took me awhile (I still say he never told me) to figure out the first click is the perfect speed to get on the trailer. I would ram the gear forward, backward (hope the guy that bought our boat isn't reading this)
I am much better now. Don't know about the 26ft though....
We were at Silverwood one day and there is this pickup truck parked sideways and the dorks are havin lunch in the bed of the truck parked on the ram!
I usually cruise around until my trailer is on the ramp then I load the boat.
Waited two hours to get off the lake once during a holiday weekend. Which is the main reason we stay where we can keep our boat in the water (Park Moabe)
:D
It is kinda sad to see all the fights, embarrasing.

coolchange
03-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Waitinin line on Mojave to retrive the boat and this AH in a motor home is yellin and honkin at the newbies. We've been in line a LOOONNGG time and are about five back now when this AH takes his turn and gasses it and flips the turn just as his moho transitions from flat to the ramp and effin rolls it on its side!
Now everyones pissed cause the whole ramp is blocked but props to the rangers cause in less time than it would have taken for him to load his boat the rangers had a tractor hooked up and drug that thing on its side into the dirt!!

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 07:11 PM
The funniest story I read on here but don't remember who posted it.
He had just bought a boat and noticed the seats were loose....so he put in some longer screws......yup, you got it.
Screwed through the hull and into the bunks. That boat was not coming off the trailer for anything....:D :D

Debbolas
03-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
He had just bought a boat and noticed the seats were loose....so he put in some longer screws......yup, you got it.
Screwed through the hull and into the bunks. That boat was not coming off the trailer for anything....:D :D
LMAO
too funny

throttlejunkie
03-29-2004, 07:29 PM
I agree, that is a great story. I was just telling a buddy about it, and he could'nt f#cking believe it.

Mandelon
03-30-2004, 01:11 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/24SDThunderboats_017-med.jpg
These guys did this on purpose!!!!!!!1

welk2party
03-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Well it is definately not out of the question for a Hummer. Has a snorkel and exhuast. I think the military spec'd em for about that water height. The real question is why would they drive in there other than to show off.:confused:

Debbolas
03-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Jump Start the boat?
LOL

BGMAN203
03-30-2004, 09:16 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/24SDThunderboats_017-med.jpg
These guys did this on purpose!!!!!!!1
Thats how they had to launch the boats at the Sandiego Bayfair, in Mission Bay.

Mandelon
03-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Ding! Correctomundo, BG. That's where I took that pic!!

jim lee
03-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, two days ago it was me making a fool of myself on the ramp. I've been working on a boat (trying to get it running) for a customer. Here's a link to the original post.
Accountant's boat Chapter II (http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=425)
Sigh..
-jim lee

Debbolas
04-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by jim lee
Well, two days ago it was me making a fool of myself on the ramp. I've been working on a boat (trying to get it running) for a customer. Here's a link to the original post.
Accountant's boat Chapter II (http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=425)
Sigh..
-jim lee
too funny!!
which lake?

78Eliminator
04-01-2004, 04:14 PM
You know, it kind of makes me sick all the guys that treat their wifes/girlfriends like crap. You really see it come out on the ramp. Makes you want to serve THEM on the ramp, but then she will just get it worse when they get home. I thought that you took her out to have a good time!?
Men who yell at their wives on the loading dock = small penis.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
You know, it kind of makes me sick all the guys that treat their wifes/girlfriends like crap. You really see it come out on the ramp. Makes you want to serve THEM on the ramp, but then she will just get it worse when they get home. I thought that you took her out to have a good time!?
Men who yell at their wives on the loading dock = small penis.
I agree. I feel bad for those girls that are getting scolded on the ramp. It only makes it worse too. Jason was never one to yell at me, but my first day backing the truck down the ramp was at Needles marina and I had 7 different people, none of them my husband, telling me what to do. Not neccessarily yelling but it was really frustrating. :yuk:
Don't worry, I am a pro on the launch ramp now. I will help and back anyones trailer down anytime. :D

bordsmnj
04-01-2004, 09:07 PM
everyone knows i have a small penis too. myth busted!:D

wsuwrhr
04-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by bordsmnj
Sorry about that BordsMJ
Brian

DeltaSigBoater
04-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Bordsmnj
My first day backing the truck down the ramp was at Needles marina and I had 7 different people, none of them my husband, telling me what to do. Not neccessarily yelling but it was really frustrating. :yuk:
Don't worry, I am a pro on the launch ramp now. I will help and back anyones trailer down anytime. :D
My first time towing/backing up was when I was 15, and there I am on the launch ramp no one around, and out of nowhere comes roughly 5-7 different people, none of them I know, telling me what to do. Nerve racking like none other. Finally i got out and told everyone "to take a long walk of a short dock!"

hd&boatrider
04-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Damn Jas WTF! lol

jim lee
04-02-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Debbolas
too funny!!
which lake?
Lake Anderson. Small, 35mph speed limit, overprotected by armed guards. But its close by and makes a good "test tank".
-jim lee

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Babe, my post was a polite way of saying your penis is huge.
Mean on the ramp=small penis
Nice and calm on the ramp=Big Ol' Meat stick.
:D :D :D

Mandelon
04-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Oh Rinda, you ruv a big meat stick? :D

Dawn Patrol
04-04-2004, 12:37 PM
OK, I had had a Ramp experience, once.
I was unloading my Sea Doo at the Ocean, backed up my Toyota into the water about up to the center of the huds like I always did, engine running in neutral (5 speed) Started to unload it from the bed , that's when I heard "SNAP", the emergency brake cable thought that was a great time break.
The truck was still running it was floating rather nicely, I grabbed the front bumber and started pulling it back to shore, that's when a Nice person thought he'd help. This fool opens the drivers door to get a better handle on it, needless to say the truck filled with water, shorted the computer killing the engine.
I could've of came out of that situation just alittle embarassed, instead, my truck was full of salt water including the entire engine.
I did get the truck running in a couple days, I traded it in with the seat still wet. The dealer ask me why my seat was wet, I did what any other guy would have done. I told him my Girlfriend had left the window down when the sprinklers came on. :D

Boozer
04-04-2004, 03:44 PM
My first time launching a boat we launched at night to avoid the crazy rush at site 6 in the morning. It was Spring Break so we figured we'd just leave the boat in the channel over night. We were launching my friends 25' Advantage and I got the the job of driving the truck. It took me about 4 tries to get it down straight but I finally got it. We get it in the water and unhook the bow strap.
My friend throttles forward AND STARTS PULLING THE TRUCK WITH HIM!! Woops! He forgot to undo the rear straps. You'd think he would have noticed there was a problem when the trailer was floating!
At this point the entire bed of the truck was submerged. He got the straps off and the trailer dropped. Now the boat was free but the truck was so far down i didnt think i was going to make it out. The ramp at site 6 was slippery to know end and it took me about 5 minutes to get the truck up the ramp because the tires were spinning so much.
I have not launched with a 2 wheel drive vehicle since.
I have thrown the boat in the water a few times without checking the battery first to discover a dead battery.

RiverRatMike
04-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Priceless!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4463_cid_040482300_24012003-1e41.JPG

Dr. Eagle
04-04-2004, 08:30 PM
There is a place out on the Delta up north that has or used to have (I have not launched there for a couple of years) bleachers at the ramp to watch the show. Always a good time
http://www.orwoodresort.com/RAMP01B.jpg

Kachina26
04-05-2004, 05:44 AM
Ok last valentines day weekend, we had the boat out on the maiden voyage. We were waiting for my wife to back the trailer down, she had the misfortune of being in a lane with someone in the water having problems. The other choice was the lanes ocupied by a 388 Hustler waiting for the turbos to warm up. Anyway this little pile of whatever boat couldn't get up the ramp because the outdrive was down and no one could figure out why. They had everyone get out of the boat in hopes of taking weight off of the trailer so it would come up enough to drive up the ramp. When that didn't work, a guy went around back and tried lifting the drive manually, then 2 guys, no luck. Finally the gentleman with the Hustler went over and hit the switch for them. I don't know how the got it in the water to start with.:D