PDA

View Full Version : Hyd Place diverter ?

Taylorman
03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
In order to use the steering wheel mounted switch for a hyd place, its my understanding that you have to bore a hole in the steering shaft, unless you want the curley cords which i don't. What size does the hole have to be? Is 3/16 ok. I hope i can find a machine shop that can bore a hole that long. The hole will have to be bored 11" long. Hint hint.
Matt, call me.

Rexone
03-25-2004, 10:51 PM
It only needs to be big enough to pass the wire through. If 3/16 will get the job done go for it. We use a gun drilling shop to drill ours that we sell but I've done it on a lathe before too. Just go slow so the drill has a lesser tendency to wander off center. And use a sharp drill.

Taylorman
03-26-2004, 04:49 AM
Just the man i wanted to hear from. Thanks.

placecrafttim
03-26-2004, 04:51 PM
What about Calgo Steering?

Rexone
03-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Forensic
Boss here at work says he found a steering wheel with the electronics already run with the buttons on the wheel. Kinda like the new wheels in cars with the audio and shit mounted on the wheel.
From what he was saying, it sounds pretty slick.
Rexone, you have any of those on your site?
No I don't. What's the brand name?

Mohavekid
03-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I did the shaft drilling thing last year. I went with a 1/4 inch hole, no problem on getting the wires thru.
I took it to a machine shop here in town to drill it out. It was cheaper than buying a drill bit long enough to do the job. I think I paid $15.00 to get it done.

Sniper4x4
03-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
In order to use the steering wheel mounted switch for a hyd place, its my understanding that you have to bore a hole in the steering shaft, unless you want the curley cords which i don't. What size does the hole have to be? Is 3/16 ok. I hope i can find a machine shop that can bore a hole that long. The hole will have to be bored 11" long. Hint hint.
Matt, call me.
TaylorMan, when I switched my steering wheel I didn't like the switch on the wheel itself so I mounted mine on the dash. When I'm holding the steering wheel I just have to point my finger to switch it up or down and best of all no wires to be seen.

Aluminum Squirt
03-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Hey Taylorman, I'll second what sniper4x4 said, when I was running a PD, I didn't like the control on the steering wheel. I use my boat a little differently than most California boaters, but on the smaller rivers where a lot of turning was involved, I'd end up with my controls away from my hands and/or upside down. I didn't want to hit up switch when I really wanted down, or vice versa. I moved it to a comfortable place on the dash and it worked great. I'm not running fast enough for it to ever have been dangerous, but I didn't like it-Aluminum Squirt

HotHallet
03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Manual Place Diverters Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylorman
03-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I notice I steer with my left had most of the time and look over my right shoulder. Thats why I think I'll try a steering wheel mounted switch that I can reach with my left hand. I am ordering one from Rex made by Dana.
Sniper, if there were a Bling Bling award, you would win. That boat looks killer. Very nice.
What is the braded hose running under the passenger seat for?
I love the bucket rear seats. Hack job has that in his boat and think it looks cool. Post some more pictures of that. Did you build the seat frames?

Sniper4x4
03-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Sniper, if there were a Bling Bling award, you would win. That boat looks killer. Very nice.
What is the braded hose running under the passenger seat for?
I love the bucket rear seats. Hack job has that in his boat and think it looks cool. Post some more pictures of that. Did you build the seat frames?
Taylorman, thats funny that you said that, the name Bling Bling was a runner up for the name of my boat. I ran braided hose from the tank back to the electric fuel pump. The seats are made by B&M seating I picked them up at West Marine.
thanks again,

Danhercules
03-31-2004, 08:15 AM
I have a simple little toggle just to the left of my wheel where the helm (dash ;) ) starts to curve. There was a hole there already and I put it there. If I were to do it again, I woudl keep it there. I can hit it with out tankin my hands off the wheel.
HH, your just wish you had a hydrolic diverter!! :D :p

Danhercules
03-31-2004, 08:44 AM
I have a simple little toggle just to the left of my wheel where the helm (dash ;) ) starts to curve. There was a hole there already and I put it there. If I were to do it again, I woudl keep it there. I can hit it with out tankin my hands off the wheel.
HH, your just wish you had a hydrolic diverter!! :D :p

miller19j
03-31-2004, 08:54 AM
When I did mine I made the hole Ø .250 and it seemed to work fine. Rex One is right about drilling it slow the bit can walk very easily. Be sure to use a sharp bit and pull it out often to remove the chips if you break the bit off in there it will be a bitch to get it out.

miller19j
03-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Oh one last thing I love mine on the wheel. I wouldn’t move it if you paid me!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/274trim6.jpg

HotHallet
03-31-2004, 11:11 AM
Actually No Dan! I think it is way more fun to reach down and grab a handle and slam that baby up or down. A little more work but what the hell!

Danhercules
03-31-2004, 11:14 AM
Thats fine, if you wanna do your slammin in the boat. I do mine in the bed.
Anyway, thats fine for a "lakeboat", but when dealing with a high performance machine, and tons of HP, it gets hard to move that handle!!!!:p

HotHallet
03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Oh gimme a break! I just don't see anything that exciting about pushing on a little toggle switch. There is more action with a manual diverter. You really have to drive the boat!

Danhercules
03-31-2004, 11:27 AM
You must have toggle envy!!:devil: :smilespi: :smilespi: