PDA

View Full Version : 28' Sunsation

StingRay
11-21-2000, 02:00 PM
I'm on the verge of ordering a 28' Sunsation Intimidator. What attracts me as opposed to say a Scarab or Donzi, is it not only looks sleek and plush but for a 28'8" boat it weighs only 4500 lbs. That's 13.08 lbs. per sq. inch. That means with either a 496MAG-HL or HP500 there's more scoot for the bang. I read a ***boat article that stated a 288 with a 454MAG 385hp got 68.4 mph on the gun. I thought that excellent for a single of that length and power. My other options are either a 272 Baja or 28' PowerQuest with the 502MAG replacement 496MAG-HO (425hp) package. I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on these boats and which they think would provide the most bang for the buck. I'll operate in the southern Chesapeake Bay area...
[This message has been edited by StingRay (edited January 04, 2001).]

MillerLite88
11-21-2000, 05:38 PM
Hey Stingray, I will agree with you that the Sunsation is a great looking boat! I currently own a baja 272 Boss with a procharged 502 mag and I am very happy with it. Now that certainly does not mean that it is the best out there or the way you ought to go, just letting you know that my experience with Baja has been pleasant.

StingRay
11-22-2000, 08:24 AM
Thanks MillerLite88 for your reply. You're right, the Baja especially the Boss 272 is a great boat. I run in the southern ChesBay of Virginia so I see PowerBoats of all kinds and engine configurations. I've always liked the sharp lines of the Baja and from talking to various owners, their rough water ride is outstanding. I currently own a 98 230SX StingRay with a 502MAG and I can consistantly get 74-76 mph plus I think the hull design cuts like no other. BUT! I'm wanting to move up in size in order to run deeper rougher waters. The Sunsation seems to have the ingredients I'm looking for and for a boat 4 inches shy of 29 feet, it weighs only 4500 lbs (read easy tow with the F-150 5.8L). This boat was specifically designed to rock with a single engine (I'm thinking 496MAG-HO or HP500). The price is right for me and the performance specs are attractive without delving into a mega dollar engine and fuel package. I guess the other driving force is that there are no other Sunsations here and it would be a real attention getter to be the first with custom paint. So, I'd like to hear from other Sunsation owners or folks who know of any to get their cut on this little known manufacturer...
[This message has been edited by StingRay (edited November 30, 2000).]

StingRay
11-22-2000, 08:24 AM
DISREGARD, THIS WAS A DOUBLE CLUTCH....
[This message has been edited by StingRay (edited November 30, 2000).]

sun28int
12-04-2000, 07:12 PM
StingRay,
I have a '95 28' Sunsation that my wife and I had built in late '94 ( boy was that a cold test drive, 74.9mph in Michigan in November). Absolutely love the boat, have 3 friends in the area who have since brought Sunsations' after seeing and riding in mine.
(1 25' w/454Mag, 1 28' w/502Mag EFI, 1 32' w T500HP's) Ours was originally equippped with a 500HP, went 74.9mph on GPS during shakedown run when we pick it up. After a couple of years we became very comfortable with it and had to have more so I put on a B&M 250 blower and went 87mph with 7lbs of boost (have since backed it down to 4.5lbs, I'd never hear the end of it if I grenaded the motor, still runs 82mph)My friend with the other 28'(it's a '99) w/ 502Mag EFI runs just over 70mph, all day thru everything. The other guys '32 is awesome, 88-90mph, will set you back in the seat @50mph, and stock, warrantied power!
We all attend 4-5 Poker runs a year together and all the other boat owners have to come over to see the boats after we go past them.
We all have nothing but good to say (typical little problems)and we are all looking to upgrade to a larger, faster Sunsation.
E-mail me back with any questions.

StingRay
12-11-2000, 09:49 AM
sun28int
Thanx for the reply. What you've said helps validate my somewhat limited research. I guess other questions I would have deal with the warranty service Sunsation provides when problems, especially with the hull/cabin, arise. Your friend with the 99' 28-502MAG interests me since his is realy close to what I'm looking to order. With the 496MAG-HO package Silent-Choice, tabs, bolsters and everything else standard with plain white hull, for custom graphics later, I've been quoted 71K with me going to Mich. to pick it up. I'm guessing with 425hp it should get 72mph. Comparable boats like a 29 Scarab at 5500 lbs are getting only 64mph with a 502MAG. Besides, where I live Scarabs are like fly's around here. If you were to narrow it down to just 2-3 negatives with your ownership and/or your friends, what would they be? I'm getting the straight party line from the dealer "all is great" and since there are no Sunsation's locally it's a bit intimidating to post 71K for a relative unknown. Performance per inch, rough water ride, style and total dollar value are what's attracting me. I guess I just need affirmation that it's a good choice. I'd appreciate any more insight or stories you or anyone else could provide...

sun28int
12-11-2000, 05:52 PM
StingRay,
I also was a bit reluctent to put that kind of money down when we brought ours in'94. Went to the Cedar Point, OH boat show to look at Sunsation side by side with 29'Fountain, went for rides on both, placed our order for the 28' Intimidator and it wasn't a matter of a money difference, the Sunsation will stand bow-to-bow any day. And I still believe that after 5 years of usage. Rough water ride is great, no squeaks, rattles, or groans, just hammer down and keep on going.
Only real problems we have had are with some accessory equipment,refrigerator and depth sounder, both of which Sunsation replaced with no hassle, although I did take it halfway back to them from southern Ohio. One of the Schadenbrand brothers' met me at the halfway point, towed the boat back to the factory and had it ready for us to pickup at the Sunsation Rally the next weekend. No dealers in our area at that time, so I knew I would have to deal with factory direct. If you have a local dealer it should be even easier.
One other problem we have all had is the speedo tube popping off back of speedo or splitting at transom. Mine split the 1st time the boat went over 80mph (oh well, I guess that's something else that needs upgraded when you install a blower!). Other buddys 28' just popped the tube off the back of the speedo,a better hoses clamp took care of that. The guy with the 32' kept splitting the hose, he finally gave up and ordered a Gaffrig GPS speedo, problem solved and always dead accurate.
My e-mail address is sun28int@juno.com if you want to contact me direct.

StingRay
12-12-2000, 11:21 AM
Thanx Again sun28int
I appreciate your candid reply. It's always a good thing to rely on a fellow powerboater to render "the gouge." I'll contact you at your email...
I'm still open to hear more from others...

Brip
12-30-2000, 08:01 AM
Hey Stingray,
I see that you too are located in Va Beach.
I looked at he same boat as you, but ended up buying a Powerquest 280 w/ a 502.
Max speed is 71, but 68-69 (gps)is all day everyday. As you know, where we boat, it can get nasty. I test drove a Sunsation 28 in kinda snotty waters. I was not that thrilled with the way it handled "confused" waters like we have around here. I test drove a Powerquest in slightly worse conditions. In my opinion the PQ rode much better.
You should look at one of these and compare the build quality. I have had Baja, Scarab, Wellcraft, and a Seadoo (boat)in the last 5 years. The PQ is the best I have ever had. My freind has a 2000 Baja 272 w/ same motor as I . The PQ is wider, and weighs more, yet I can just squeek by him. The PQ also has the biggest cockpit I have ever seen. It is as large as most 31' boats. If you want to see how my PQ was built (I went to the factory to see it being built) go to my web page after the first of the year. http://home.infi.net/~brip/index.html
If you want to see my boat, I'll be glad to show it to you. I keep it at Marina Shores.
Don't get me wrong, the Sunsation is a nice boat, but I was more impressed w/ the PQ. Plus the dealer (Hope Springs Boat sales..Dave) in Stafford VA. will deal. Heck he took about 27% off of my boat. I saw the invoice prices so I know he only made about 1000.00 plus his rigging fee.
Check out this link:
http://archive.powerboatmag.com/1998/12/docs/features/feature005.html
Oh well....FYI.
Bill
[This message has been edited by Brip (edited December 30, 2000).]

StingRay
01-02-2001, 12:24 PM
Thanx Brip
You know I think I've seen you and your boat. I spend a lot of time in Broad Bay and at the Narrows.
I had thought about the PQ but was concerned with it's beefiness and weight and assumed it would perform like the 29 Scarab 502. The other consideration was the operating costs of the relatively lighter Sunsation boat. I'm still not 100% sure and like I said in a previous note; most bang for the buck with no performance disappointments. Hard part is there's give and take for everything and it's good input from fellow experienced boaters such as yourself that will hopefully save me some "growing" (23'-28') pains.
I'll check-in with Hope Springs and see what they have to offer. I plan on attending the boat shows coming up during the next couple of months as well, to get up close looks at various models.
Where did you get to look and test drive the Sunsation? I know of the one dealer in MD and NC.
Anyway Bill, thanks for your input and I'm gonna check out your website. I look forward to seeing you and the PQ up on the beach at the Narrows or over at Sunset Beach possibly. By the way, I can stand on my dock and see Marina Shores (I live on Bay Island)...Happy New Boating Year!!

Brip
01-02-2001, 03:30 PM
If you spend time in Broad Bay and at the narrows, you have seen me. I am almost always at the narrows. I test drove the Sunsation in MD. The dealer is Extreme Offshore. The guy I spoke w/ was Mike. # 410-939-7564.
I too drove a 29 Scarab before I bought the PQ. Lynnhaven Marine had a used one w/ only 35 hours on it. Just like new. The sale was contingent on a sea trial...good thing too. It was slow...It had a hard time getting to 60. Top speed (GPS) was about 62.
Don't worry about weight with the PQ. Around here (the Ches. Bay) weight is a good thing. Makes the boat take the waves better.
ou know I think I've seen you and your boat. I spend a lot of time in Broad Bay and at the Narrows. As far as operating costs... As I mentioned, my buddy has a Baja w/ same power. The Baja is about the same wieght and width as the Sunsation. We both burn the same amount of fuel..almost to the gallon!!! Talk about wieght, his boat in the bay, pounds where mine is smooth AND dry. I got (COLD!)water in my face when I drove the Sunsation. If you aare going to order a boat from someone...be aware that they need some lead time. When I ordered my boat last Jan 15, PQ had someone cancel an order, and I was lucky to get my boat when I did. They started the boat on 2/1/00 and it takes PQ about 6 weeks. I took delivery mid March. If you want a new boat by May, you should shop / buy now. Plus Hope Springs was ready to DEAL in mid Jan as it was cold and they needed business.
If you start to deal with them, I'll send you some actual cost figures on a 2000 PQ. (you didn't get them from me!!)
Let me know if I can help you.
Bill

StingRay
01-04-2001, 07:47 AM
Thanx again Brip
This is exactly the kind of input I've been fishing for. Though I must say, I'm not quite sure it's making it any easier in light of sun28int's positive comments above about the Sunsation and his friends satisfaction as well. I understand the lead time for building but unfortunately I have two boats (what am I complaining about right?) that I must sell/trade in order to make another major purchase, momma says so. In the meantime I'm gathering as much info as I can so that when I sell I can close a deal quickly in order to take a quick delivery. Extreme Marine in MD essentially quoted me 71K for the package I want with plain white hull and I go pick it up. I will take any bit of info you could provide on PQ costs and options. I've contacted PQ for some literature and they have notified me it's on the way. If there was anything you didn't like about PQ what would it be? All boats have some little quirk.
Yes I'm sure you've seen me at the Narrows and talking with a buddy I'm sure of it. My friend has a 22' Scarab with yellow checkerboard and "Tweety" theme and he says he's spoken with you. I've got the white 230SX with blue checkerboard. The Stingray has been a fabulous boat and I wish they had'em in a 26-28 because I'd get another but unfortunately 23' is as big as they get sportboat wise. Anyway...
If you've got handy info on the PQ if you wouldn't mind, you can send it to my email found in my profile via attachment. Like I said, I'm chomping to sell and roaring to buy!...
[This message has been edited by StingRay (edited January 04, 2001).]

Brip
01-06-2001, 09:05 AM
I know the guy in the Scarab...You are right we've spoken before. I usually am there hanging out with my buddy who has the 272 Baja.
What would I change??? I would have added rails on the front deck as it can get slippery when waxed. I would have chosen a diffent color for one of my stripes. Less fuel consumption would be nice. That is really about it. This sounds kind of weird, but there is nothing I would change. Design wise, size, built quality....I am 200% happy with the boat. I know this sounds crazy, but I believe I have the perfect boat (for me anyhow)After owning some many boats in the last 4-5 years (as well as doing some really lenghty test drives) I have found what I want. The boat is really roomy in the cockpit (where we all spend 98% of our time on the boat) the cabin is roomy too. I don't know how PQ got so much room.
I think I have seen your boat at the narrows!? I saw that you were selling it and told someone I know that is in the market for a boat. Too bad, he doesn't want to spend over 10K. Your boat (In my opinion) would be great for him but........
Sunsation has gotten mixed reviews from another board www.offshoreonly. (http://www.offshoreonly.) com
Most are good on speed and handling, some are bad on ride and quality of materials.
You said you wanted a white boat. Is this because you dislike the graphics on the Sunsation? If that is the case, PQ (when I bought mine) had 5 different graphics and about 15 colors. You can also choose: graphic on sun lounge, cockpit carpet color, cabin carpet color, valance color, V-berth fabric, colors on inside of bolsters, colors on outside of bolsters, logo color on bolster. They also did some custom things for me as well. So I got a boat exactly the way I wanted.
Another boat I looked at was a Velocity. Those are FAST!!! But was totally turned off when the 115 lb sales girl climed aboard to show me the boat, the swim platform flexed bad. Front deck access was terrible, and I too flexed under my weight. It was ok, but I felt it was too light weight for me. As I said before, to go in the Ches. weight is good. I have NEVER had water in the face, not even any spray on the windshield.
As a comparison, I bought my boat loaded, best graphics, competiton pak, transom shower, bimini top, Gaffrig red lines, 2nd battery, pull up cleats, etc., etc. Dave @ Hope springs sold me the boat (Delivered to Marina Shores) for $ 67,409.00. This # includes tax, freight, prep etc. In other words $ 64910.00 plus tax, title, freight, prep, etc....
In Jan. boat dealers are chomping at the bit to sell SOMETHING!
Bill

lifisgoood
01-06-2001, 10:52 AM
I have a 97 25 sunsation aggressor and am very happy with this boat. Have nothing bad to say about sunsation or the way they handle problems. I only live 40 miles from the factory which makes things a little easier too. I only had a few minor detail things wrong w/ the boat when I picked it up , but I dropped the boat off at the factory and the guys bent over backwards to take care of me. That was one of the things that sold me on sunsation was the involvement of the company owners with the people that buy their boats. I've been to a couple of the sunsation weekends which are always fun, and have talked to about eighty owners with all 3 sizes of sunsations and nobody ever has any major complaints. I hang with a few Bajas and a 27 formula. The only problem I know of w/ the 272 is a lot of the olders ones (as new as 96) crack in the bulkhead at the entrance to the cuddy. But all the Baja owners love their boats. We get a lot cross chop up here in lake saint clare (2 to 5 footers) but all the Intimidator owners I've talked never complain about the ride.

wayne ellis
01-15-2001, 07:56 PM
I only have one thing to say and that is 280 Velocity W/ 502 is by far the best boat in it's class give one a try before you buy ??

thebone12
01-30-2001, 10:32 AM
I have read everyones thoughts and think you guys are on the right track. I am a uscg captain and a captain for TowBoat/us. I also live in Montauk, NY. I have run more of these boats than I can count. The one boat you are forgetting is the 30 superboat. This boat with equal power will kill anything on the water in up to 8ft sea. It is my favorite.

StingRay
01-30-2001, 12:40 PM
You guys are right, the 280 Velocity and 30 SuperBoats are sweet units. The SuperBoat though is a little too high performance for my budget and personal use. There's so many nice boats out there for every occassion it's hard to choose. It seems as soon as I settle on particular fit another starts to sound good. VIP's Vindicator is another good looking and performing boat that looks similar to the Velocity. I have a good deal of interest in the PowerQuest and lately Donzi's 26 and 28 footers are peaking my interest too. A friend of mine has a 22ZX Donzi and the warranty service/response he's gotten has been fantastic besides being a sharp well made boat. Though I still like the looks and specs of the Sunsation and it all is going to boil down to package deal but only after I sell my current boat. If I don't sell my current boat quickly I'll keep it another year...

Advantage
01-30-2001, 08:13 PM
Stingray,
I don't want to confuse you anymore, however, have you considered a 27' Advantage Victory? This boat weighs only 4,250 lbs and is a full 27'3" in length. This boat was built for the offshore.
I would strongly recommend you consider an Advantage before buying any of the aforementioned manufacturers.

StingRay
01-31-2001, 09:08 AM
Like I mentioned earlier, there's so many great manufacturers to choose from one would need a year to drive around (or in some cases fly) to the nearest dealer and test drive etc then order. I'm having to now focus on the relatively nearby dealers, which in my mind count towards potential warranty service, as well as the boat meeting my usage needs and personal taste. Again, it all boils down how well they're willing to deal and I still have to sell my current boat quickly or wait another year...
You know i haven't heard anything from Donzi owners?....

mydonzi
01-31-2001, 04:52 PM
Ok, Donzi owner here... I have been reading a bit too long maybe, Stingray, I recommend Donzi to all my friends, I have a 28' 2000ZX that EASILY hits 78-80MPH stock, and that is in the chop and nice swells, you mentioned rougher water, Scaraabs don't hang with me in wide open water!!!! well... now, that spells Donzi! These boats are designed for the bay/ocean, when the other "smooth water boats" try to get playing, my Donzi pulls right up and says "see ya"! You must watch the Z step hull though, one word of warning if you never owned a step hull, they will spin if you do not know how to turn her at high speeds, never de-trim while turning! Trust me I know, and this goes for most mid size range step hulls.
As far as the company goes, I have the Zcare 5 year bow to stern warranty, it is all covered, when I have a problem I call the 1-800 number and BAM, the new part is here in two to three days, no questions ask. Just food for thought, the rough water is hard on a boat as I am sure you know (let alone a wife/girl friend http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif))).
There are other other boats in the same price range with maybe a few more bells and whistles BUT when it comes to service, Donzi really stands behind their boats.
There aren't many in VA either, I think on on the eastern shore there is one (ZX) and a couple older 16/18 classics in the tidewater area. So they are not like Camaro's and butt holes, every one doesn't have one!
I checked out the Sunsation site, very pretty boat, very nice, and I can honestly say I have never been in one, they do sound impressive. What kind of prices are they talking for mid size range boats with the bad to the bone high out put big blocks? Single or twin? What kind of warranty? Resale value?
What two boats do you have for sale? One obviously is a Stingray I bet!
Dan

StingRay
02-01-2001, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by mydonzi:
I checked out the Sunsation site, very pretty boat, very nice, and I can honestly say I have never been in one, they do sound impressive. What kind of prices are they talking for mid size range boats with the bad to the bone high out put big blocks?
Dan
Hey Dan thanks for the reply. Yes one is a Stingray 230SX 502MAG loaded. The other is a 88 Sunbird EuroSport 23' 460 King Cobra. Needless to say, the drive is a little full right now. Mama says I gotta unload at least one so I thought why not both and start fresh.
I know the guy on the Eastern shore if it's a 22-ZX. His service response with the Z-care has nothing short of amazing. I do really like the looks of the Donzi and have given consideration to a 28' single or twin 350's but haven't gotten any quotes yet. I'm lookin' at a single application (read op costs) that will give me performance (70-72) but won't freak me out at the gas pump. I'm looking for one with the new 496MAG-HO 425hp package. Sunsation's package "MSRP" for the 288 Intimidator is 71K. That equates to 55-65K after negotiations and winter desperation sales. I like the lines of the boat and the fact that for a 26 price and stats, such as 4500lbs, I get a boat that's just shy of 29 feet at 28'8". Granted, it's a little lite but the xtra inches make up for it. ***boat-mag clocked it at 68.7 (Stalker radar) with a 454MAG 385hp so with 425, 72 should be easy and economical. You say yours is 78-80 so you must either have a single HP500 series or twins. Where do you run? I'm mostly S. ChesBay and Broad Bay...

B-rad502
02-01-2001, 11:27 AM
Stingray, I have to tell you how much we were impressed with the 28 Sunsation we saw at the Phoenix Boat Show. It was awesome! The interior and luxuries were really nice, the boat looked awesome, and at 71k, seemed to be reasonably priced. This dealer in Phoenix just strated selling them and we had never seen one before. When we upgrade, we will be sure to give SERIOUS thought to the Sunsation.
Jealous in AZ!!
Brad

Advantage
02-01-2001, 12:22 PM
Stingray,
No question, those Sunsation's look pretty awesome; however, they appear really low profile. I suspect that's one way they shed the weight relative to the competition. In fact, it appears from the photos on their website that the driver is sitting halfway outside the boat. The wind factor might be pretty significant. Well, you have to sacrifice something in order to shed weight, e.g. shorter beam, lower profile, etc.

mydonzi
02-01-2001, 02:44 PM
Stingray, it truely sounds as if your doing your reasearch, good on you. I think I would drive one before I ever considered buying. Factory/dealers like to extend (or shorten) numbers to suit the customer. I haven't read vey many posts from owners. And no I am not a Donzi dealer! LOL
There are quite a few impressive boats made for the bay/ocean, cigarette, fountain. I think I nice step hull, lots of HP and some weight/length will make the perfect ride.
Sunsation is comprimising somewhere on weight, I mean look around! Compare all the 28/29 footers and their weight.... why are they so less?
Who knows.... Well I guess we will if you sell two and buy one!
Good luck.
Dan

StingRay
02-02-2001, 08:04 AM
Advantage/Donzi
Understood. I know something is given in order to get. My buds keep reminding me of that. I'm trying to use a realistic approach at my "normal" operating conditions/circumstances meaning what I'm most likely to operate in. "Normally" if the bay/ocean is sloppy most of us Southside boaters (Va Beach), including the big hammers, are tucked inside Broad Bay usually up on the Narrows beach admiring each other's rig and speculating on the next. Good rough water ride usually plays going to or returning from a far away gathering place, harbor event or poker run. So what affects me the most often? Roominess of the rig (read comfy with the norm 4-6 bodies) for cocktail hours; operate the boat the way I want without dipping into the kids college accounts; have enough ponies to actually call myself "performance" and yes have a decent ride. Of course style and good looks are a big part of the formula as well (think Corvette/Viper). I'm trying to think of this particular rig as a compromise that renders a little bit of each, until I hit the lotto and really special order the rig I want. Alas, it still depends on the quick sale of my trusty little flame -thrower 230SX...If anyone's interested I can email pictures......
Hey Donzi, I stumbled across your Cumberland entry in the Donzi talk site. The Eastern shore Donzi 22ZX is rallying myself and a couple of other buds to go out there for a week. So happens my mother owns a cabin 1.5 miles up the road from Buck Creek Marina on the eastern end near Burnside. Jamestown is like 40 minutes from there. If you're serious about going (and if we are for that matter) maybe we should coordinate and either convoy it out there or plan on hookin' up on the pond. E.Shore Donzi's new email is donzi22zx@aol.com and goes by Bryan.

mydonzi
02-02-2001, 02:17 PM
I spoke to Brian, he said they were moving and may only go for a couple days, on the other hand he said he may be there a week, god willing and his wife blesses it. His plan is an early week arrival, I will coordinate with him and keep you posted.
He said your 230SX is a hot ride! He also said he thinks you really want an "all purpose boat" due to the fact that the bay does get rough and that is where he and a friend who is also looking will want to play,,, oh and a wellcraft guy,,, etc.
He is looking forward to the trip to KY, I will say that, on and on and on and on! LOL
I was impressed with what Donzi did for him and his boat! Wow!!! That is SERVICE with a capital S!
So we can meet soon, from the way Brian talked, if you have a new boat it will be on the lake with the rest of us, I am sure whatever you pick will be what you want, can afford and also (most importantly) brag about!!!!! We are men!!!!
Bottom line is one hell of a good time and lots of cold ones when the time is right!
Dan

Advantage
02-02-2001, 04:15 PM
Stingray,
Forget I mentioned anything at all about Advantage. I almost made a huge mistake. Upon doing some research, I discovered the 27' Victory is slower than molasses in December in Minnesota. Of course, the salesmen would let you believe otherwise. In fact, this boat is nothing like their Factory II 32' Victory racer. Albeit the hull of the 27' Victory is stepped, it will only hit 64-66 mph with the 496 HO engine. Pretty weak performance, ey? This hull is nothing like that of the 32' Victory (94.7 mph with twin 500 EFI's). According to some articles, this boat needs a ton of HP to push it above 70 mph. Perhaps Sunsation is a viable option.

StingRay
02-05-2001, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Advantage:
Stingray,
Forget I mentioned anything at all about Advantage. I almost made a huge mistake........Perhaps Sunsation is a viable option.
What a tragedy that would be to buy a boat only to find out you'd been duped performance wise. RIDE IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT! I have heard similar stories for example; 29 SCARAB where the dealer hyped it up but when hull hit water on the test drive, 415 animals could only chug it to 62mph (speedometer). Of course that boat weighs 5500lbs (6100lbs with a full bag) and no doubt gives a solid ride, but it probably eats the petro across the TACH range pushing that big barge around. It's definately a design that needs mega-pony power (mega-dollar) to really rip it.
That being said, I take it you are NOT currently an Advantage owner but was seriously contemplating, hence the username? I'd say get a hold of as many ***boat and PowerBoat mags as you can and catch the trial reports (Stalker Radar) on different boats. Speedvision on cable/DTV Sunday mornings 10am EST does an hour of boat trials/tips that could help as well. Hell, just scroll up this topic and look at the insights I've gotten from guys like you.
I tell ya another nice boat to consider. This weekend I attended the Mid-Atlantic boat show here in Va. Beach and a VIP dealer from Yorktown had two Vindicators on display, a 24 and 21 footer. The 24'3" was sweet looking with tons of cockpit room and style plus it had the 496HO to boot for $49900. The 27' is even sweeter but! It's heavy (5000lbs) for a boat that small, in my mind. Velocity's another that's sweet. I tell ya, it makes my head spin the number of great boats out there. But I think the approach to take, in my humble opinion, is if there's a particular boat that has caught your attention somewhere somehow and has stuck in your gut, that's the one you should go after (assuming it's in a certain price range) and find reasons "not" to get it or other similar makes that can defeat it in 6 out of 10 areas (stock that is). Along the way you learn tons about other boats like PowerQuest, Donzi, Sunsation, Velocity, Vindicator, Advantage, etc. etc. which only increases your trash talkin' capability while rafted up or on the beach. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Stay in touch and keep us abreast on your progress. It's always interesting to learn from others research and experiences. It eventually helps us all.....

StingRay
02-05-2001, 10:14 AM
He said your 230SX is a hot ride!...looking forward to the trip to KY....we can meet soon....hell of a good time and lots of cold ones when the time is right!
Donzi, he's right. This Stingray is a Corvette on water...As I mentionwed in an earlier post, Stingray unfortunately stops at 23' on the performance boats so I must move along.
As far as the "Awakening" trip to KY, our discussions have centered around length of stay to attain maximum gratification to justify the 10-12 hour run with 4 in-water days being the bar. I of course have the incentive of partying with brothers etc. at my family's cabin 1.5 miles from the lake/Buck Creek Marina where we would stay. So the drive is not so hard for me. Yes, he's moving which I suspect timing wise, could get complicated after all, it's his Donzi'ism that's generating the interest to go. Us "other" drivers just wanna be the pesty antagonizers on the fringes http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif.
I checked your profile and it doesn't say where you're from. I assume it's here in VA and probably more to the North since I haven't seen you steaming around here. If by chance the KY run doesn't pan out maybe there's a chance we'll see ya on the Bay, poker run, or if you're a camper, at Kerr Reservoir. Good luck with the new blower/s and I'll see ya either in my new rig (current quote is now $62450) or still in the trusty 230SX Vette out and about...

B-rad502
02-05-2001, 10:21 AM
I can't believe you mentioned a Vindicator!! I have one and only have heard from a few owners. We have a 2000 24' w/ a 502 and are really happy with it. 102" beam, a lot of room, but it is pretty heavy. We are close to 5000 lbs. which is heavier than the 28's that our friends are running. Best is 66.6 on gps so far, but it handles the rough stuff real well.
Just had to add something after seeing a rare post talking about a Vindicator! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

mydonzi
02-05-2001, 11:13 AM
Stingray. Something tells me we will meet on the lake. I think short of disaster Brian will be there! From what I can tell from email he is planning on a 5ish day stay at KY, he emailed me Saturday and said he was leaving the country for business.
I have enjoyed this serious of posts and feel there are mixed reviews on your interests! But if you ride, and like, BUY!
If your not happy then give a Donzi or Cigareete a ride. Food for thought.
Oh and if you haven't sold by May bring your vette to KY, lets get busy on the water!!!!!
Dan

StingRay
02-05-2001, 11:16 AM
The 24' at the show was listed at 4000lbs with the 496HO and looked slick. But that's all I know other than a guy I run into at Kerr Reservoir, VA with a 454MAG 24' that ran pretty darn good.......

StingRay
02-05-2001, 12:25 PM
Stingray. Something tells me we will meet on the lake.......if you haven't sold by May bring your vette to KY, lets get busy on the water!!!!!
Donzi I suspect you're right. The only thing that could realistically get in the way I think at this juncture is a really bad weather forecast for that weekend. But we'll cross that wake when we come to it...
Most definately if I don't close this deal, or another, by then, the "STUNG AGAIN" StingRay will be displaying it's prowess and agility on the waters of Cumberland...

Bryan Tuvell
02-06-2001, 03:44 AM
Hey Stingray... had to register here so I could get a word in from work this week.
Lets hope for good weather that week, sounds like our trip will be a convoy. Is Mark going to tow too?
Sounds like a good time will be had by all, I look forwrad to seeing the 28ZX too.
I pick my ZX up on the 12th from the glass shop!
Bryan

StingRay
02-06-2001, 12:42 PM
Hey Bryan, how's the road trip, or should I call you "DonziZX"? Speaking of weather, it's supposed to be in the sixties here at Va Beach Thurs/Fri and I'm real tempted to bust out "STUNG AGAIN" just to have a few totti's with the sound of that 502 in the background http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Though Centerville Marine is still using my boat as a disply model but hey, they're keeping it inside and clean so it'll be hard to bring it back out in February.
Was over "Scarab's" house last night. He's still tracking to go but now may have a potential "sister's-wedding" conflict. More TBA on that...
I guess you seen the post on the offer made by Sunsation. I'm heading north on business later this month and will swing by for a sanity check check-ride and nail down more details. Now I need to get hip on current finance rates so If I go into this deal, I'm armed.
"Former-DonziZX" should be back from Hawaii today tired and sunburnt I'm sure. He's been really re-thinking hard lately about not waiting on buying another boat. Spring fever is spreading.....

Bryan Tuvell
02-08-2001, 03:42 AM
Hey Stingray... I just posted over at Donzi that it looks like you guys are bringing boats to KY too. I also just email you and Mark with a few specific questions about the trip.
Be sure and let us know how the Sunsation test ride goes! When is it and where??? I am up for tagging along if asked!
Bryan

StingRay
02-08-2001, 09:06 AM
It'll be the week of the 20th either on the way or back froma conference in Harrisburg, PA. The dealer is Extreme Offshore Marine in Have-De-Grace MD between D.C. and Baltimore. Susan Perkowski is the one I've been speaking with and sounds really enthusiastic and a strong believer in the product. The only other dealer nearby is Carolina Marine N.C. but that guy gave me a lame quote and didn't seem interested which turned me off big time. I'm gonna stop by to look on the 20th on the way up but the ride won't be available until the trip back on the 23rd. If you wanna meet me there on the 23rd that's fine. Anyway, talk to you when you return......

Advantage
02-08-2001, 09:28 AM
Hey Stingray,
Thanks for all the great feedback for the Sunsation product line. I am now beginning to believe in their performance boats. We have been exchanging several posts regarding the purchase of your new boat. I was interested to know more about the 28' Sunsation Intimidator. You had mentioned that you received a quote for a 2001 Intimidator for $62,450 + tax/title. Can you tell me if that price included a trailer, the McLeod interior ($4,000+ upgrade) which is different than the McLeod bolsters, and anything else that would be helpful? How much do you save my not having them paint your boat? I thank you in advance for helping a fellow boater. Take care and have a great test run!

StingRay
02-08-2001, 11:37 AM
Advantage:
You should have gotten my response to your email just moments ago. I gave you the full dump on my thought process, dealer participation and cost info. Yes, cost was shaved with no graphics as well as picking up at the factory myself. Essentially, all options are standard except engine and silent-choice. I'll put on/in other options myself much cheaper thru West Marine, Boater's world, Overton's, etc. as I determine I want/need extra stuff, it's not that hard, especially if the boat-soda is kept iced down. But if you want to ad it on, Sunsation has some cool options to put in the boat. The one I considered for the factory to put in was the 12V in deck boat-soda cooler!
Good luck in your hunt and hopefully with the info I provided moments ago, you now have a yardstick to go by. Thanks again to all the other guys above who provided good insight. Too bad we all don't run in the same neck of the woods so we could raft/beach up and admire each others rigs and spin our yarns of the ones we blew away...
You know another I almost went for was the PowerQuest 280. If you read the post/s above from Brip you'll see those are really sweet rigs as well. We emailed each other and he got a loaded rig for 64K +tax etc. I've seen his boat, since he's a local boy, and it is good lookin'. Again, there's so many.....
Anyway....
The time nears, happy boating... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
[This message has been edited by StingRay (edited February 08, 2001).]

32fever
02-10-2001, 12:19 PM
Stingray,
I posted something to this effect to Advantage, but if you are looking at a Sunsation, I'd consider looking at some custom options. There is a dealer here in MI that I worked with last year when I was looking at new boats.
One of the things we looked at doing was not going with a Fridge option and they would build a custom unit in the cabin to house a couple of the plug in type coolers to keep things cool and put 12 volt plug ins close to them and put net mesh to hold some other items in place, like an area for gear, etc. this cut down on the huge Fridge option that we wanted to go with. We wanted some way to keep things cool while weekending. That would have saved some big money. I wanted to spend more on custom paint cause I've seen the work the guy does that paints the Sunsations. Wow. Very impressive.
I spoke to some guys last weekend that sell Checkmates and they have a 30'er there now being custom painted. So, if you wanted to go that route, you'd have to get on the list early. But, the custom paint would make you very unique on the water.
They did that for another person, and they had ordered a 28 for a guy that was putting an 800hp motor into. They also do supercharging, etc. and I looked into a 454mag with pro- or whipple charger system to get power with less bucks. The warranty is a concern there, though.
I spoke to a guy that had one with a 525sc in it and he loved it. HE said he walked away from a 29 Fever with a 500hp in it. (Must have been the driver..HAHAHA) So, they are able to hold there own at speeds. SOmetimes boats can get unstable at top end speeds and hard to control, but he was happy with it. He was looking at going to a 32 in the future. That's always a good sign. If a guy is switching brands (at least in the same type of boat), you always have to wonder why. Maybe there is a reason.
I can't remember the name or number of the dealer here in MI, but I can look that up. Email me if you want that info. Maybe you can get the price wars going, too. My email is mueller@qtm.net. I'd be glad to help. I went through a lot last year. Even went to the Miami boat show to look. I would not advise that cause not all the brands were there. I did see the unveiling of the 344 Hustler Cheetah, and that was a bad thing, well, for my wife that is.LOL
Mark

StingRay
02-13-2001, 12:16 PM
32Fever
I'm with ya on the option thing. The additional 12V adapters are exactly what I had in mind, but I've installed them before and will do it this time as well. I also like the idea of an adapter to hold an electric cooler in place like the adapters found on swim platforms for coolers etc. I just don't want any permanent gear in place that adds weight or shakes use all the time. It's hard enough keeping the stereo tight. I feel I can put in any of the cabin/cockpit options I'd like which isn't much more, structurally, than comes standard. Bevels, trim-indicators, compass, custom wheel, net/bungy's, or any of those kinds of options I can get cheaper off the shelf/internet and do myself while polishing off a few boat-soda's as well.
Custom paint is a must. We have several auto shops around here that also do boat graphics. The money I save on not getting common graphics I'll put towards the custom gig.
What kind of rig you driving? I know it's a Fountain. Anyway thanks for the idea, it's gonna be a good year I feel especially with a new rig to debut..... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

32fever
02-15-2001, 08:32 PM
Stingray,
Check out the Mar 01 Powerboat. They tested a 32' Sunsation and like it. I remember Hot Boat and PB testing the 32 last year and liked it a lot, and this year the article said they like it even more.
When I talked to the place here, we talked about lesser power with hydraulic steering and K-planes in place, then adding a Procharger later and having a screamer. It's hard to decide what to do now and what to do later, and how much you want to do yourself. Good luck, and check out the Mitcher T custom paint first, becuase the credit for now graphics they give you may not be that much. I'm not sure on that, I was going to have him do it, but, make suer you cover all the angles to get the best price.
My rig is a 32 fountain (1996, I wound up buying this used than going with a new 28-30, found this and wanted it) with twin 502 EFI's. Never radared it, but 78-80 is probably where I'd be. Bought a 2000 Vanguard trailer, triple axle, with tool box, spare, and electric tongue jack. This gets all the guys at the docks. "man, that's cool.." I can touch a button and trailer's off the truck. I trailer back and forth each time we go out, so I wanted that.
I pull it with a 2000 Ford Superduty crew cab 4x4 in white with a V10. Got rid of the 1/2 ton ext Chevy I loved, but it wouldn't do the trick. Needed 4 low to pull the boat out of the ramps with the 3:42 gears. Another thing to keep in mind if yo uever decided to do what I did and opt for twins and give up the new boat concept. Wife wasn't happy about me having to shop for trucks right after boats.
This is only my second boat, so I was happy going used, someday we'll order what we want and have it built for us.
But so far ,we've had lots of experiences with our searches and boating. I guess I was more anxious this time to go twins than brand spanking new. But jeeze are there so many possibilities.
Mark

B-rad502
02-15-2001, 08:41 PM
Stingray, if you get Hot Boat magazine then you probably know they did a test on the 288 this month. If you don't get the mag, check it out. It is still at the top of our list for a 28' boat. Just wish I could order one sooner than 3-4 years!!

StingRay
02-21-2001, 06:03 PM
I've got both issues and it only justifies mt decision even more. As I have stated in previous posts, it's value for the dollar which is the gist of both those articles. I'm testing the 288 on the 23rd as I'm up in PA. for conference anyway. I did stop by on the way up just to sneak a peek, despite they were closed by then, and the boats looked awesome! The factory graphics on the lot boats were extremely impressive. I'll give a debrief on the test ride Monday (26th) which will determine whether the money hits the table.
Myself and a couple fellow boaters are currently planning our trip to Lake Cumberland KY for the Donzi "Awakening of the horses" rally in mid-May. I hope to debut my new boat at that time. So if you see a Sunsation, maybe solid white at that time, on the lake wave me over for a "soda"... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif...

HeavyPour
02-27-2001, 08:24 AM
Dan, (mydonzi),
I hope this page is not too dated for people to check. You said you call the 800 number for Donzi to get a part under warranty. I am also a new Donzi owner, 2000 ZX Scorpion, and I am having trouble getting warranty parts from my dealer. Donzi told me I have to go thru a dealer to get the needed items. Any advice besides find a new dealer?
BTW, I also run the lower Chesapeake and Potomac River. Did I see you at the Offshore races last year?
Greg
[This message has been edited by HeavyPour (edited February 27, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by HeavyPour (edited February 27, 2001).]

StingRay
03-01-2001, 11:11 AM
Heavypour
The guy you want to talk to concerning Donzi is Bryan Tuvell. He's had super service via the warranty on his Donzi. You can contact him at DONZI22ZX@aol.com
I've never run on the potomac and the lower ChesBay I rumble on is the Hampton Roads area.......

HeavyPour
03-01-2001, 12:43 PM
Stingray,
Thanks for the info, my dealer contacted me yesterday and is now apparently trying to help. If he once again disappoints me I'll email Bryan.
I'm planning a trip with my brother (a fountain driver) sometime this summer to come down your way. Any good places I should stop in while I'm there?
[This message has been edited by HeavyPour (edited March 01, 2001).]

StingRay
03-02-2001, 09:30 AM
I'd recommend entering into the Lynnhaven River Inlet turn left towards Broad Bay. There are 6 or 7 waterside bars/restaurants that are happening on weekends. At the mouth of the inlet is a place called the Duck Inn. They have baeach parties on Fridays 4-9pm thru-out the summer. Beer, bands, ans plenty of eyeball. There's also a great gazebo setup. Further into Broad Bay there's a beach thats part of Seashore/Cape Henry State Park where a lot of boats will congregate thru-out the day.
Going on around to the main tourist beach is Rudee Inlet. There are some more waterside places but not as many and no boat hangouts except charter boat types.
If you end up in Norfolk, there's "Waterside" which is a montage of bars restaurants in one building sorta like Jax Fla. or Baltimore but maybe not as big. Hampton has a small downtown waterside area but not really worth the time for a trip like that. I live on the water between Lynnhaven Inlet and Broad Bay in Va. Beach so myself and friends are normally in that area. There are other "hangouts" that would take a full weekend to scope them all out and they're all accessible from the Bay. Copy my email from the profile and just let me know and maybe we'll hook up......

StingRay
03-26-2001, 02:57 PM
Bummer! I'm poised and ready to order the 28 Sunsation or even pick one off the lot but I'm still sitting on this Stingray. Help me out someone. Send any small sport boat interested parties to me. Why not trade you ask? Numbers aren't right. I want a new boat but but not have to cut my hand off for it if you know what I mean.
It's a 1998 230SX 502MAG, custom graphics, bolsters, tabs EVERYTHING including extended warranty thru 08/02. Send them to www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html (http://www.geocities.com/h20bugged/Stingray.html) for a look see...

StingRay
04-12-2001, 11:29 AM
Giving a dealer in KY a shot at fixin' my problem with the two boats. Hope he comes thru with something creative... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

StingRay
04-19-2001, 12:22 PM
Sunsation dealer in KY is making a strong bid to sell me a boat. We're right at the numbers for the trade-in of my 230SX though I know no matter what I'm gonna eat a few dollars. Right now we're pitching back and forth on financing options because I want more than 15 years and no more than 7.75%...
I'll continue to post if anyone is still interested..... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

BigWake
04-25-2001, 11:25 AM
I guess you guys didn't see www.***boatClub.com (http://www.***boatClub.com) featured "SuperBoat"..

StingRay
04-25-2001, 11:55 AM
BigWake give me a break. Looks more like a big ski boat with the swivel chairs and side bench. Reminded of a cross between a SeaRay and a Ski-Nautique... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

StingRay
05-29-2001, 11:39 AM
Could have the 28 by this coming weekend if all goes well..... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

StingRay
06-15-2001, 07:17 AM
Well i counted my chickens to early. The dealer has been awaiting approval of a "dealer package" from Bank of the West (dealer only bank) in order for them to render 20 year financing for me. Weellll! We've been waiting over two weeks, at least I have, and the last correspondance from the dealer was last Friday when they said "...we had to fax B.O.W. our tax info and should know something by this afternoon, I'll let you know either way...". No phone call or email either directly or in response to my calls (messages) or emails. The clock is ticking and I'm already way beyond my original window of opportunity to buy one. Here it is mid-june and I'm picking my nose. I'm contemplating an angry WTF phone call to them this afternoon since it's gonna be another Sunsation-less weekend... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif