PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure drop question

CA Stu
03-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Friend of mine was out test driving a used boat today. 95 Wellcraft Scarab (?).
Rapidly slowing down coming off plane
(entering the no wake zone), oil pressure drops to about nothing and the buzzer goes off for about 10 seconds. Then oil pressure goes back to normal and boat ran fine the entire time.
Checked oil with boat on trailer later, was full.
The only other issue I saw was that the temperature guage never went over about 130-140.
What's the dealio?
Thanks
CA STu

rivercrazy
03-26-2004, 03:44 PM
What motor is it?
If the oil wasnt low, it could be a number of things:
Oil Pump
Pressure Sender
Loose wiring
etc

CA Stu
03-26-2004, 03:49 PM
5.7 merc
It only happened the one time coming off plane....

rivercrazy
03-26-2004, 03:52 PM
When coming off plane was the nose stuck to the moon for a decent period of time? If so the pan could have been low on oil for a few seconds.
To me this is a big enough issue to employ a marine mechanic to do a leak down test and a full mechanical inspection before purchasing.
If there really is an oil supply problem its a matter of time until the motor is a pile

CA Stu
03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Is the pickup at the front or rear of the oil pan? Like I said, it's a 5.7 Merc I/O.
I suggested taking it to a mechanic, too.
Just wondering if it was something simple, thanks very much for the suggestions so far.
CA Stu

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 06:31 PM
The pickup is in the rear.
Probably too much (submerged the crank) or too little (exposed the pickup) oil.
The oil level on the trailer isn't always the same as when the boat is in the water. When the boat comes off plane, the nose dives...

CA Stu
03-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks HH!
That's what I was guessing, slowed down too rapidly and starved the pickup for oil for a second... Maybe add a quart and call it fixed :)
Long as we don't run out of beer, I'm OK
CA Stu

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by CA Stu
Thanks HH!
That's what I was guessing, slowed down too rapidly and starved the pickup for oil for a second... Maybe add a quart and call it fixed :)
Probably a little more than a quart...make sure it's the right dipstick.
Originally posted by CA Stu
Long as we don't run out of beer, I'm OK
Absolutely. If you run out of oil, you can always shut the engine down. If you run out of beer....well...I hate to even think about it.