PDA

View Full Version : Havasu to The Sandbar

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 06:19 PM
When you hit the mouth of the river, is it really that shallow where a boat could hit? or can you cruise right through there?

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Yes, if you don't know where you are going you can hit. Follow someone (at a distance), keep up on a plane and pray hard. I've bottomed out a 21 footer and ran a 26 deep v up in the winter with no problems. You just gotta be careful and know the area. I prefer the AZ side myself. Others like the CA side.

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Toomstone
When you hit the mouth of the river, is it really that shallow where a boat could hit? or can you cruise right through there?
It depends on how deep it is.

twistedpair
03-26-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
It depends on how deep it is.
Well thought out response there, Zen Master!;)

Scream
03-26-2004, 06:29 PM
The first several times I tried that transition after I bought my last new boat I'd get paranoid of the shallow sand and back off on the throttle. That's when I and my wife would get out and walk the distance between the lake and the deeper river.
Like Kachina 26 says, keep up on plane and STAY TO THE SIDE. Follow the track of someone in a similar sized boat, and be confident and don't back off...

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
Well thought out response there, Zen Master!;)
I'm here to help.
The bill is in the mail.

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 06:35 PM
will it be any easier now because the water level is almost normal compared to the past few weeks?

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 06:44 PM
will it be any easier now because the water level is almost normal compared to the past few weeks?
You should be OK. There's only a few months out of the year that it's questionable. Most boats only draw a couple feet of water (even idling)...at it rarely gets shallower than 3 feet.
Having said that...I always follow someone the first time (something about seeing the bottom that makes me have flashbacks from all the times I've run aground)...

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 06:47 PM
It's really not bad now, you just pucker big time when you see all that brown. HH is right it's plenty deep, just follow someone. I had 6 boats behind me last weekend, I told my buddy "see all those boats back there? They think I know where I'm going!"

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
...I had 6 boats behind me last weekend, I told my buddy "see all those boats back there? They think I know where I'm going!"
or..."see that guy in front of us? If he digs in...we're going back to the channel."

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 06:57 PM
leaving tommorow at 5 to take the new 28' magic deckboat out that i got in october. and i wanted to go to the sandbar. ive been there once but wasnt paying attention much and we slowed down and sped up alot around there

Budget Baller
03-26-2004, 07:08 PM
Toomstone-
Where do you live in YL? I am in East Lake.

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 07:16 PM
i live by bryant ranch at the top of the hill. out by ice palace

Budget Baller
03-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Toomstone-
I am always up there watching my friends son play baseball.
We should hook up at the lake for some cold ones.

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Ya well im only fifteen. have any kids that go to esperanza??? lol But my dads vodkarocks so you could talk to him. we will be going out there alot this summer

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 07:26 PM
I'll be there too, if you see me heading up, follow along.

fourspeednup
03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Ya well im only fifteen. have any kids that go to esperanza??? lol But my dads vodkarocks so you could talk to him. we will be going out there alot this summer
Better to learn early how much you can tolerate:D
--four((resident minor on the boards))speed

Kachina26
03-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Budget Baller
Toomstone-
I am always up there watching my friends son play baseball.
We should hook up at the lake for some cold ones. You gonna hook 'em up with some Jesus juice????LOL

welk2party
03-26-2004, 07:33 PM
It is definate pucker time. I get freaked when I go through there. It looks like the water is a foot deep. I just keep the throttles up and my eyes peeled. Usually as long as I am on plane and I keep the drive trimmed up a bit I don't worry to much. Boat only drafts about 1 foot like that.

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 07:41 PM
so on plane my boat should only be sittin about a foot in the water?

fourspeednup
03-26-2004, 07:47 PM
It is a very expensive foot though:eek:

Havasu Hangin'
03-26-2004, 07:51 PM
From the bottom of the boat to the bottom of the skeg should be about 16"-18". Add another 3"-6" or so...depending on the boat.
2 feet max. A small cat with a shallow x...maybe a foot.
No worries.

Toomstone
03-26-2004, 07:51 PM
ya ya. im catching your drift.

Debbolas
03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Scream
The first several times I tried that transition after I bought my last new boat I'd get paranoid of the shallow sand and back off on the throttle. That's when I and my wife would get out and walk the distance between the lake and the deeper river.
Like Kachina 26 says, keep up on plane and STAY TO THE SIDE. Follow the track of someone in a similar sized boat, and be confident and don't back off...
Honey tell the truth........
lmao:D