PDA

View Full Version : How to get out of Jury Duty

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 08:20 AM
This method will still cost you one day and you have to go to the courthouse, but unless you dont live in the county, are over 70 or under 18 i think its the only legal option.
When you get up in the box and the lawyers (defense and prosecuting) start asking questions, be HONEST and HAVE AN OPINION. One of the two attorneys wont like it and get rid of your ass. Theres another question they ask: If you dont agree with a law will you be able to fairly and impartially judge on guilt or innocence based on the facts of the case. For instance (this was the case I was selected for), if a homeless guy is sleeping in his car and is drunk, should he be guilty of DUI? "Do you think that the letter of the says hes guilty then hes guilty or do you think that the law is retarded and hes innocent" is the question that they are asking. So whatever you do, dont just sit there and nod your head or youll get stuck in the 12pack.

SoCalSouthpaw
03-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Uhhhh, Thanks bro but I have had luck with my method.....5 times over.
I just dont even show the f**k up. Yeah, I know what the law says. But, I have never heard from anyone for not showin' up. :D

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Uhhhh, Thanks bro but I have had luck with my method.....5 times over.
I just dont even show the f**k up. Yeah, I know what the law says. But, I have never heard from anyone for not showin' up. :D
LOL, i was wondering what happens because of the 95 people that were called for the group I was in only 22 showed up, we were the 10am group and had to come back to be part of the 1pm group.

little rowe boat
03-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Just don't show up. It works every time.

SummitKarl
03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
in California
Self employed, sole source of income :)

Captain Dan
03-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Just don't show up. It works every time.
I know a lot of people that ignore the summons. If I were to do that, I'm sure I would be made an example of and the Sheriff would come knockin'.

ThongMagnet
03-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Where ever he lay his hat is is home. I'd find him not guilty of DUI, but of a lesser charge of vagrancy.
Not Guilty!!! If LE can't get it right, then I'd let the drunk go.

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 09:19 AM
in California
A couple people tried that one in the courtroom and basically the judge just gave them a postponement rather than a dismissal.

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Where ever he lay his hat is is home. I'd find him not guilty of DUI, but of a lesser charge of vagrancy.
Not Guilty!!! If LE can't get it right, then I'd let the drunk go.
Im not sure of the circumstances surrounding the actual arrest, no one laid them out. This is just what I gathered from the attorneys questions to the jurors.

SurfOnH20
03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Next to taxes this is the next thing everyone hates to do. Just go and get it over with. You just might find it interesting and fun...

sorry dog
03-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Just tell them Chuck Norris is your cousin.

RIPPINGNOLEGSKROKER
03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Don't be so quick to flake, you might be the one being judged by a jury of your peers someday.

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 09:26 AM
Next to taxes this is the next thing everyone hates to do. Just go and get it over with. You just might find it interesting and fun...
I did, it was a little interesting, but not fun.

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Tried that, unfortunately Jack Bauer was the judge so it didnt work. Now im waiting for the phantom roundhouse kick to the head for using Chuck Norris' name in vain. :boxingguy

SoCalSouthpaw
03-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Now dat is right 'der is sum FUNNEEEE SHEEEEEAT!!!!!

coolchange
03-30-2006, 09:39 AM
just tell them your brother's a cop.

Starloans
03-30-2006, 09:58 AM
I went not long ago here in North San Diego County and it wasn't bad. There was about 300 people in the room and the lady got up and ask if it would be a financial hardship if you had to do 2 + weeks on a trail. 20-30 people including myself said yes, she said turn in your badge and have a nice day. No further questions ask. Took about an hour and I was done. Now maybe they won't bother me for a while.

Ziggy
03-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I went not long ago here in North San Diego County and it wasn't bad. There was about 300 people in the room and the lady got up and ask if it would be a financial hardship if you had to do 2 + weeks on a trail. 20-30 people including myself said yes, she said turn in your badge and have a nice day. No further questions ask. Took about an hour and I was done. Now maybe they won't bother me for a while.
Financial hardship is the most common. Self employed folks usually have no problem getting freed, and a strictly "commissioned" sales person will usually never have a problem being released.
I had a strange one a few years back where my son was summoned but was living and going to school in Phx. I went in to get him cleared because he was not a "domicile" of California anymore. Lady at the desk asks "does he still have a Ca DL?" yes. Well then he still needs to come, we can schedule him for when he's on Christmas break...... I was floored by that comment. So I say, just what every 20 yr old wants to do during his break from school, come sit in here :rolleyes: Postpone it and just send him a new summons. That one I sent back return to sender with "not at this address".
I believe we all should do our part, I have on a couple occassions. You learn stuff but mostly you sit around looking at 'wanted' posters... :D
Plenty of qualified folks that are no longer in the work force and would love the extra $5.

KineticoH20
03-30-2006, 10:55 AM
in California
Karl I have used that for years and it worked except for this year, they have closed that loophole.

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Karl I have used that for years and it worked except for this year, they have closed that loophole.
Yeah basically the judge just asked "NP, when would be a better time to reschedule?"

cxr133
03-30-2006, 11:49 AM
just say one or two things:
1. Your Racist.. thatll get you off every time
2. your still pissed at the cop who gave you your last speeding ticket for going 3 mph over the speed limit!!!

MAINEVENT
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Just stick in someone elses mailbox with return to sender on it...

Wake Havasu
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
I never go.
I just don't mail the notice back and I don’t go.
Prove that I received it.
They couldn’t catch Osama Bin Laden if he applied for a CCW in California.

YeLLowBoaT
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I have been called all but 2 years since I turned 18... only once have I NOT been stuck on a case. I tried that and many other things. none of which have worked.... right after I turned 18 I got stuck a trippler murder that was in the public eye, they had court officals take us home and watch us pack.then strait to the hotel... having the trial start 3 days b4 I started college did not work as a excuse.

ThongMagnet
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Next time you move, don't update the address.

MUDXPRT
03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
I have never showed up for jury and I see the threats on the card but unless it came certified mail how can they prove you recieved the notice.

meaniam
03-30-2006, 05:17 PM
in California
that didnt get me out of the last one. so then i tried claiming a disabilty that prevents me from going. i still was supose to go. i guess the judge relized this when i no showed. shit i tried hard enough.
and sb county is now following thru with the warrents for no show

Mor's Lavey
03-30-2006, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=buzzaro]
When you get up in the box and the lawyers (defense and prosecuting) start asking questions, be HONEST and HAVE AN OPINION. One of the two attorneys wont like it and get rid of your ass. QUOTE]
This is the best way to get off. One of the lawyers will definitily dismiss you if they think that you will side with the other lawyer. I was a Jury forman on a case and now I know how OJ is a free man. 1/4 of our jurors wanted to vote not guilty even though we had physical evidence, a 911 tape and admissions from the Husband and wife that the husband hit her.

ahhell
03-30-2006, 05:25 PM
that didnt get me out of the last one. so then i tried claiming a disabilty that prevents me from going. i still was supose to go. i guess the judge relized this when i no showed. shit i tried hard enough.
and sb county is now following thru with the warrents for no show
YEp..last time i filed one in the round file I got got a blue one, registered, the next time saying I would be in contempt...that was intresting...gotta love S.B. county. Now im in AZ, their all guilty :crossx:

NoCal NoBoat
03-30-2006, 05:27 PM
I always report. If I get close to the jury box, they will always ask the question - "Any family members or friends that are LEO ?" I honestly answer
"yes, my dad, two uncles, and several friends". I'm always excused.
I was juror # 1 until 5:00 pm one day, then the defense attorney got me with a preemptory challenge.
Ironically, I think I'd make a good, fair juror. Dad taught me to always look at both sides of the story before making a decision. But no one's ever taken a chance on me, they just assume I'd see it the LEO's way.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
03-30-2006, 05:54 PM
I hope that if I'm ever on a jury some of my peers will find a way to spend some of their time to hear my case. Unless it is a severe financial hardship or some other significant reason like taking care of an elderly person you should go. BTW, Riverside County has childcare for jurors now. I was just there two weeks ago. If you said your brother was a cop, the judge asked what city and department with the reporter taking down every word.
It's your duty as a citizen. Would you rather have only a judge hear your case if you were innocent and on trial? What if your life depended on it? Not chastizing sole proprietors or folks who live check to check, just those who are able and don't want to be inconvenienced. Many young Americans have died for our right to a jury of our peers.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1078soapbox.gif
I'll step off the soapbox now. :D

riverbound
03-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Yah, the mail man must be losing my jury summons or something :mad:

77charger
03-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Last time i had to go i got out during the attorney question part.last ditch effort paid off!! asked me a question about firearms i am a gun owner so i acted to the extreme.It was a case involving the use of a firearm too.OFF I WENT.

Devilman
03-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Not sure how it is other places, but around here, if you don't wanna go, don't go. Throw the notice in the trash. Its regular mail, nobody can prove you got it. This info coming straight from the girl that works in the dept. that sends that crap out. Spare me the "it's your duty" & the "that's why the judicial system is in the state it's in" speeches. :rolleyes: This argument may have worked 20 years ago, but not in this day & time. I went one time. Got picked, it was the biggest crock/cry-fest/sham. Never again. I'd say sorry, but I'm not....

buzzaro
03-30-2006, 06:21 PM
I always report. If I get close to the jury box, they will always ask the question - "Any family members or friends that are LEO ?" I honestly answer
"yes, my dad, two uncles, and several friends". I'm always excused.
I was juror # 1 until 5:00 pm one day, then the defense attorney got me with a preemptory challenge.
Ironically, I think I'd make a good, fair juror. Dad taught me to always look at both sides of the story before making a decision. But no one's ever taken a chance on me, they just assume I'd see it the LEO's way.
In this court, they asked if you had relative/friend LEO, but then they would follow it up with "do you think this will affect your ability to judge fairly?" and basically the same situation with those who had run-ins on the opposite side of the law

mike37
03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
I haven't received a jury summand's in years

ovrkll77
03-30-2006, 06:51 PM
hey how ome I don't get a summons? Oh yeah, I forgot I was a bad kid. :cool:

dragboat
03-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Just go and do your part. Its skipping out and making excuses that cause all these people to win the frivolous law suits. If more of our kind would show up we could tell these people, lawyers, and public that if the coffee's too hot, don't focking drink it.
I always go when called. Sometimes I miss my day but will go the next week. I have yet to be on a jury, but at least I want to so I can have my opinion counted.
Forensic
Well said.
If you're ever wrongly accused and find yourself fighting for your life, do you want to look over and see a jury full of people that are just not clever enough to get out of jury duty? HELL NO! I would want to have working people, business people, boaters, racers, intelligent life. Do the right thing.

Parker Dreamin
03-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I can not afford to miss work for that, but I can afford to take a couple days off to be in Parker...go figure.

Her454
03-30-2006, 07:14 PM
I hope that if I'm ever on a jury some of my peers will find a way to spend some of their time to hear my case. Unless it is a severe financial hardship or some other significant reason like taking care of an elderly person you should go. BTW, Riverside County has childcare for jurors now. I was just there two weeks ago. If you said your brother was a cop, the judge asked what city and department with the reporter taking down every word.
It's your duty as a citizen. Would you rather have only a judge hear your case if you were innocent and on trial? What if your life depended on it? Not chastizing sole proprietors or folks who live check to check, just those who are able and don't want to be inconvenienced. Many young Americans have died for our right to a jury of our peers.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1078soapbox.gif
I'll step off the soapbox now. :D
Very well said MMSW! :)