PDA

View Full Version : Rockit Man Parker Results !!!!!!!!!

Rock-it man
03-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Come on guys give me a break here !!!!!!!!Anyone thats working on a motor at this level has been towed many times and we were in tow twice .So heres the straight scoop. Sun Denniis was testing the boat at Havasu had the big pully on at 12-15 lbs boost and ran 135.5 mph@ 6700 with a four blade 33 labbed after a few runs he lost oil pressure and was towed to make sure what the problem was ,I got there Mon at noon and we worked on the boat till dark,it was an electricial problim with the sending unit but could not take any chances, on Tues we went out again but now had another prop that Bob Teague brought over it now ran 136.6 at 6300 so got about the same speed and lowered the rpm by 400 which I liked ,so now we put on the smaller pullys and it ran 141.3 at 6700 at 19 lbs boost and I wasnt at WOT more than a couple seconds so I decided to put it awany and save the motor for the speed run on Thur. Before we headed back to Parker Dennis was cheching the new prop and the drive felt funny so draind the oil and there was metal filings there, called IMCO and they said there was still time to get it fixed so I drove to IMCO Tues night and at 7:am Wed they found that the lower gear was going away so they did a complete rebuild and changed the ratio from 1.25 to 1.22 and put in a larger lower gear. I got Back to parker at 5 pm and installed the drive, was no time to retest the new ratio before Bob Teague got to drive it Thur AM so was really wondering what would happed. Bob Made a speed run and was at 141.9 MPH at 6400 RPM when the Dist drive gear spun ( I think) so it was over for the day. , so the official speed that will be printed will be ((( 141.9 mph @ 6400 rpm ).
I really think that it would have broken Eliminators record of 144 had that not happened ,all I needed was 2.2 mph more to get the record !!!!. Bob did say that at 4500rpm he was cruising at 120 mph which really impressed him . Over all im pleased at how it ran ,I know that the motor at that level will always find the weakest part and it did !!!! So whats next . I will try agian at the ELIMINATOR REGATTA to at least run 144.1 mph then I will be happy !!!! Theres a lot to the story so this should feed ya all for a while !!!!!!
And Thanks WARLOCK 25 for the tow and all the help down there. will be back for the Heat wave.

skeepwerkzaz
03-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Glad everything went well, I have no doubt that there is 2.2 in there somewhere for you:D

Speedin' Ian
03-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Good job RIM, sounds like you'll be able to find that 2.2mph with little problem. Nevermind the naysayers, keep on keepin on

Mr.Havasu
03-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Congrats Rockit-man,
Your boat is awesome, No doubt the record will soon fall to the Rockit-Man
See you at the heat wave.

Robbie Racer
03-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Good run Rocket. You still beat my best estimate by 2 mph. I can sure relate to getting towed in too. I have been towed in so many times, I ought to start a AAA for high performance boats company. :(
Good luck at the regatta with the next record attempt. R/R

Rock-it man
03-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Robbie Racer
Good run Rocket. You still beat my best estimate by 2 mph. I can sure relate to getting towed in too. I have been towed in so many times, I ought to start a AAA for high performance boats company. :(
Good luck at the regatta with the next record attempt. R/R
Thanks we tried hard but things happen !!:D I learned a lot especially from Bob Teague , no mater what others have said I respect that guy, after being around him for three days he has got it togeather , hes probably forgot more about performance boats then I will ever learn !! sometimes hes a little standoffish but hes sure got the repsect of the performance boating community and I learned why !!!!

Turbojack
03-27-2004, 01:24 PM
Congrats on your attempt. Who was riding with bob when he was driving? I wonder how it felt when distributor gear let go.

unleashed
03-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Good job Rocket-man. At times you come off a little boastful but I think that is more pride than anything. Thats alot of work for an independent guy to do not to mention expensive and tedious. I give you props for sticking with your project and goals. Goodluck at the regatta. I hope you get the record. Oh yeah as far as Teague Motors go I couldnt be more happier. So far 100 hours and turnkey everytime(Knock on wood).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249unleashedboat1-med.JPG
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Dr. Eagle
03-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Wow.... that's impressive! Can't wait to see how it goes at the Regatta!

Craig
03-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Congrat's man :D Like many have said, "It's mighty impressive for an independant" While 141 is so close to 144, we all know how you feel. It's like running 99 mph for your top speed. So close, but so far :wink: Anyone with bigger power in a boat has been on the wrong end of a tow rope once in a while if you tend to jam on it once in a while :)
Craig

Reaper1
03-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Congrats Rock it Man! Even if you didn't break the record, 141.9 is F'n fast man!!!:cool:

burtandnancy
03-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Congats, RIM, pretty impressive for a non-sponsored, limited budget project.
When you do the next speed run, hope you have as much safety gear handy as the Powerboat Magazine people usually do. There have been too many incidents recently and we don't need any more. Good Luck...
Burt

Rock-it man
03-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Been afraid to pull the Dist but I just got the nerve to do it !!!!! Alls OK !!!! you wont believe it !!:mad: The rotor cap came apart ,the gear is fine so no damage !! to the motor, but will check it all anyway I just cant leave anything to guess work . can you believe it a $ 20.00 part failed or it could have been my error probably wont know. When the motor stoped Bob said it was a hand full but it came down off plane fine, ALL you guys had better have FULL HYD steering in your boats if your even aproaching 100 mph . Before any one else trys this be sure to talk to Bob Teague about your set up and hull !!!! The 26' 11" hull I have is the one Eliminator builds for the #6 drive and the boat runs flat no mater where the trim, there other 26' hull will run a lot faster but there could be a lot of bow raise in it at high speeds thats why I like the one I have. Eliminator and IMCO and Dustin at Whipple and Bob Teague and Dino my parts expert at Teague Custom marine have been outstanding in this effort and I just cant speek high enough of them.

Kilrtoy
03-27-2004, 04:01 PM
That is sick.
That is scary fast in a car, let alone a BOAT.

Rock-it man
03-27-2004, 05:21 PM
TEST RESULTS
What do they mean ???
Drive RPM SPEED PROP BOOST
Ratio
1.25 6700 135.5 33x4 15 lbs
1.25 6300 136.6 30x5 15 lbs
1.25 6700 141.3 30x5 19 lbs
1.22 6400 141.9 30x5 19 lbs
As you can see things changed after the drive ratio was changed my rpm for the same aprox speed droped 300 rpm which is good and I dont know if there was much more there when the dist let go but lets assume there wasnt anymore speed or rpm and lets say there will be no more boost what would ya think it would take to get just another 3 mph out of it.If im maxed out on boost and timing and fuel what else can I do ??? When I ran the 141.3 at Havasu there was aprox 18" of chop and I was going into the wind and the 141.9 was at Parker in very smooth water. Dont understand how just a .03 in drive ratio can change things that much Im thinking the water conditions at parker was just to smooth. how can I loose 300 rpm with just .03 of drive ratio change that would have made the differance in breaking the record. So what do you all think Any Ideas !!!! The prop I used was a recomended one from Bob Teague he brought over to me it was a Hydramotive 30x15.5 five blade and Im hooked !! as it worked so well to bring down my rpm and reduce my slip and it pulled throughout the rpm range I recomend you buy one ,there at Teague Custom marine .
I see that the week I was gone down under there was a lot of ya rooting for me Thanks !!!! sorry I let ya down but will do better next time . And for you naysayers :p :p :p

UtlGoa
03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Forget the motors.........who's the girl????????:D

Rock-it man
03-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by UtlGoa
Forget the motors.........who's the girl????????:D
I must be getting OLD :mad: There was a girl in that picture !!! must be looking at to many motors lately !!:D

UtlGoa
03-27-2004, 07:06 PM
LOL
Those motors are sweet

Turbojack
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM
18" chop makes a big difference in my boat (2001 26' daytona w/ walk thru bowrider) I don't know about in the 140+ range, or at my wot. I have a digital gps speedo & when I am crusing at say 50 & I go from smooth water to a chop I will pick up about 5 mphs & some rpms without touching throttle. I am assuming it will do the same thing at wot.

Washed Ashore
03-27-2004, 07:23 PM
R.I.M.,great job!!!I would not call your effort a failure by any means,with as little testing as you did,I know I would be happy knowing with a little tweeking your there!!!I have your answer on how to get 2-5mph with no wrench turning,but it does take some labor,if your interested let me know.I will even help, no charge!!!but you will have to bring it to my shop,we can get it done in a day.NO B/S let me know???

Rock-it man
03-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Washed Ashore
R.I.M.,great job!!!I would not call your effort a failure by any means,with as little testing as you did,I know I would be happy knowing with a little tweeking your there!!!I have your answer on how to get 2-5mph with no wrench turning,but it does take some labor,if your interested let me know.I will even help, no charge!!!but you will have to bring it to my shop,we can get it done in a day.NO B/S let me know???
Your on PM me the details can we get it before the Eliminator Regatta ? Ive made so many trips south that the drive to your shop will be a piece of cake,getting used to these 16 hr trips to Havasu . I know I can get 5-8 mph by removing the strake on the bottom rear sponsons but that would affect to handling too much and I feel good at high speeds with the boat running flat like it is. PM me your # and shop address .
Does this mean ill have to spot you 5 mph at Shasta !!! hehehe !!!

Doug H.
03-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Rock-it man, please for our sake and yours be safe out there, we don't want to hear of any more boat accidents. :D
BTW, good job at achieving those speeds, have fun. :)

Infomaniac
03-27-2004, 09:10 PM
MSD Marine?
I have had the rotor pointer come loose and point to the wrong cylinder before. Busted the little stops that keep it in place. It pivoted on the rivet that holds the end of it.
I hate it when that happens.

HP350SC
03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
I looked at his distributor a few hours ago. One of the rotor screws came loose, jammed itself solid between the rotor and cap enough to rotate the base. Good thing it retards the timing when that happens....

Salty Cracker
03-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Great job Wayne...I hope you kick ass at the Eliminator regatta!!!

Charley
03-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by unleashed
Good job Rocket-man. At times you come off a little boastful but I think that is more pride than anything. Thats alot of work for an independent guy to do not to mention expensive and tedious. I give you props for sticking with your project and goals. Goodluck at the regatta. I hope you get the record. Oh yeah as far as Teague Motors go I couldnt be more happier. So far 100 hours and turnkey everytime(Knock on wood).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249unleashedboat1-med.JPG
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:
NOT TO MENTION A CUTE WIFE :):wink: :D

burtandnancy
03-28-2004, 07:53 AM
Rocket, at this point its easy to make recommendations, but some food for thought:
1) get rid of the distributor, you've already had enough problems there
2) you only need 2+ MPH, think dry sump
3) You've have good luck in the gear ratio dept. I'm not sure, but I think 1.15 or 1.13 is available
4) If none of the above works, buy the turbo motor from Green with envy...

Robbie Racer
03-28-2004, 10:37 AM
Rocket, why couldn't you just make it easy on yourself and put the nitrous set up back on? You could easily pick up 3 mph with another 200 hp shot of juice. R/R

Rock-it man
03-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Robbie Racer
Rocket, why couldn't you just make it easy on yourself and put the nitrous set up back on? You could easily pick up 3 mph with another 200 hp shot of juice. R/R
Your right !! but that would be too easy ,would be nice if I could do it without NOS ! and I really believe I can and it would mean more !! I think the stickey water had a lot to do with it . Theres more in the timing but im allready on the edge so want to play it safe. Will be at Havasu on 4/24 (Thur) and will have a week before the Eliminator Regatta to get it right. It looks like now I will have an extra 30,32,33 prop to sell as the new five blade works so well wont need anything else,you can try this one yourself to see if it works as well on your setup. I gained 5.8 mph with it at the same rpm. OH !!! better not :D wouldnt want to give you an edge on me !! hehehe !!!

Just Tool'n
03-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Good Job Rock-it man!
But where is the video clip, we all want to see it!
Maybe next time make sure you bring somerone with a video cam.
Keep up the desire to be the best.

Reaper1
03-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Rock it - Didn't the 25' Daytona that set the record do it with 1300 hp? Or is that a misprint in Powerboat?:confused:

Rock-it man
03-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Reaper1
Rock it - Didn't the 25' Daytona that set the record do it with 1300 hp? Or is that a misprint in Powerboat?:confused:
The boat was a special light weight layup and the motor was reported at 1300 ish hp but I have learned it may have had a bit more ,the driver of it said it was like a drag boat !!! it accelerated so hard ,so we all know what that means !!:D that boat was 2000 lbs lighter than mine also ,but makes no difference I still have to beat that record !!! and with a little luck and no broken parts I will !!next time out at Havasu.

hd&boatrider
03-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Congrats on getting to the point you have RM....I will stick to my 70 in the new SW :). Be safe

mbrown2
03-28-2004, 10:36 PM
Good job Rockit...you will get it next time...keep it safe out there.:)

RACER52
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
SWEEEEEET!!!!
RIM=the best news is the speed 141mph(WOW) and the boat came home in one piece. You get the good water and let washed ashore tune you up and I bet you get closer to your original goal.
Congrats on the whole dealio.
Racer
see you in havasu, we'll be there 18-25th

Rock-it man
03-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by RACER52
SWEEEEEET!!!!
RIM=the best news is the speed 141mph(WOW) and the boat came home in one piece. You get the good water and let washed ashore tune you up and I bet you get closer to your original goal.
Congrats on the whole dealio.
Racer
see you in havasu, we'll be there 18-25th
Ill be there 22-25 & 29-1 Where ya staynig and hanging out .? were at the Queens Bay. Im taking the Girls on the Lunch run to Havasu Springs on Fri as they wont ride with me on Saterday !!!:D I wonder why !! If your all going to the Poker Run Dinner maybe we can all get close ,there will be 7 of us from up North !!I brought help so im not so outnumbered down there !! hehehe !!

SVO 540
03-30-2004, 02:44 PM
[
Drive RPM SPEED PROP BOOST Slip
Ratio
1.25 6700 135.5 33x4 15 lbs .19
1.25 6300 136.6 30x5 15 lbs .05
1.25 6700 141.3 30x5 19 lbs .07
1.22 6400 141.9 30x5 19 lbs .05
Rocket-it Man,
Congrats on your performance. I have been following your quest. I admire you for going after the single engine cat mph record. Two years ago I ran my DCB Mach 26 to 132MPH. At the time the record was held by HTM at 143. I considered going after the record but decided against it for fear of parts damage and the cost of repairs. Keep the quest alive. You will get it.
I added the Slip calculation to your test results. It says that your 4 blade sucks and the 5 blade is awesome.
A slip factor of 5% to 7% indicates you have an excellent set up. I am surprised your 4 blade performance was so horrible. My theory is as follows. A 5 blade likes a higher x-dim so it is possible that your x-dim was cut too high for a 4 blade but just right for a 5 blade. This would explain why your slip was 19% with the 4 blade.
I was also suprised that the pass made by Teague in the flat water in Parker resulted in a 5% slip while your pass into the wind on Havasu chop was 7%. You should have seen better slip numbers with the Havasu pass. The variable could be trim setting. Do you know if your trim setting was the same as Teagues. What was your trim setting?
I find the 300 RPM reduction from the 1.22 gear to be close to what you would expect. If you were to do the math holding the slip constant, you would find that a reduction of .03 (1.25 - 1.22)in the gear ratio would result in a 160 RPM drop. Your drop of 300 RPM is made up of the decrease in the gear ratio (160 RPM) plus the decrease in the slip factor. Decreasing your slip factor from 7% to 5% will result in a further drop in RPM (140 RPM). 160 + 140 = 300 RPM drop. Higher RPM is achieved with higher slip numbers. Just trim your drive to the moon and your rpm will go way up and so will the slip factor.
How do you go 3 MPH faster? I think the current on the Parker strip is about 3 MPH (not sure so don't bag on me for this one) so if your are using GPS and not radar just point your boat down river. Just kidding...well sort of. Parker can generate some good speeds down river and into the wind.
You could take you boat to Mission Bay in San Diego or Long Beach Harbor. You would find 3 MPH there. You gain HP from being at sea level and salt water is faster than fresh water.
Here is what the old slip calculator says you need to do on Havasu or Parker. 6,600 RPM, 1.22 gear, 30 pitch prop, 5% slip equals 146.0 MPH. So if you can get that motor to spin another 200 PPM from where Teague had it, you will be there! I don't think you will be able to improve your slip factor. 5% is as good as it gets. So you need more power or a lighter boat. Unfortunately, the weather is getting hotter. When you try again, try early in the morning when it is colder (if colder is possibe in Havasu). Can you take any weight out of the boat?
SVO 540 - OUT

NorCalCat
03-30-2004, 02:57 PM
RIM,
Who from up noth is goin gto the Heat Wave?
Robbie, you going? Where is everyone staying? I will be at the LBR...

Turbojack
03-30-2004, 03:43 PM
SVO - good information & reasoning. I agree.
I have not gone back & reread everthing but I was thinking from following this story was that the rotor may have given out before the boat had reached top speed. If that is the case the MPH to break the record is already in the boat just did not have enough time to get there.
Rocket- have you or someone run your setup on desktop dyno? I know you have not dynoed the engine but was wondering where the motor's HP starts to fall off. Is it still climbiing at 6400-6700? Is it on the down side of the curve? Solution might be as easy as doing nothing or changing the gear to reduce more engine RPM
I was at the Eliminator Regatt last year but will not be able to make it this year. Will be waiting to read about the record falling.
Is the speed done with radar gun or GPS?

Rock-it man
03-30-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
RIM,
Who from up noth is goin gto the Heat Wave?
Robbie, you going? Where is everyone staying? I will be at the LBR...
We will be next door at the Queens Bay . There will be seven of us. Are you all going to the Pizza feed Fri Night ?? we can all meet up there and I will be also going to the Lunch run to Havasu Springs on Fri. Heres what Im doing Sat morning for the Poker Run . 6:00 AM launch boat at Windsow ,take boat to the Channal and tie up close to walking distance to Queens bay. Drive over to the Drivers meeting,after the meeting drive back to queens bay and get the boat and wait for the Poker Run, There will be no room at Nautical for any more boats for the drivers meeting.
Maybe we can all set a time and place to meet either Fri or Sat or even Thur evening for those that will be there maybe dinner & a Shasta Cola ! hehehe !!

Rock-it man
03-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by SVO 540
[
Drive RPM SPEED PROP BOOST Slip
Ratio
1.25 6700 135.5 33x4 15 lbs .19
1.25 6300 136.6 30x5 15 lbs .05
1.25 6700 141.3 30x5 19 lbs .07
1.22 6400 141.9 30x5 19 lbs .05
Rocket-it Man,
Congrats on your performance. I have been following your quest. I admire you for going after the single engine cat mph record. Two years ago I ran my DCB Mach 26 to 132MPH. At the time the record was held by HTM at 143. I considered going after the record but decided against it for fear of parts damage and the cost of repairs. Keep the quest alive. You will get it.
I added the Slip calculation to your test results. It says that your 4 blade sucks and the 5 blade is awesome.
A slip factor of 5% to 7% indicates you have an excellent set up. I am surprised your 4 blade performance was so horrible. My theory is as follows. A 5 blade likes a higher x-dim so it is possible that your x-dim was cut too high for a 4 blade but just right for a 5 blade. This would explain why your slip was 19% with the 4 blade.
I was also suprised that the pass made by Teague in the flat water in Parker resulted in a 5% slip while your pass into the wind on Havasu chop was 7%. You should have seen better slip numbers with the Havasu pass. The variable could be trim setting. Do you know if your trim setting was the same as Teagues. What was your trim setting?
I find the 300 RPM reduction from the 1.22 gear to be close to what you would expect. If you were to do the math holding the slip constant, you would find that a reduction of .03 (1.25 - 1.22)in the gear ratio would result in a 160 RPM drop. Your drop of 300 RPM is made up of the decrease in the gear ratio (160 RPM) plus the decrease in the slip factor. Decreasing your slip factor from 7% to 5% will result in a further drop in RPM (140 RPM). 160 + 140 = 300 RPM drop. Higher RPM is achieved with higher slip numbers. Just trim your drive to the moon and your rpm will go way up and so will the slip factor.
How do you go 3 MPH faster? I think the current on the Parker strip is about 3 MPH (not sure so don't bag on me for this one) so if your are using GPS and not radar just point your boat down river. Just kidding...well sort of. Parker can generate some good speeds down river and into the wind.
You could take you boat to Mission Bay in San Diego or Long Beach Harbor. You would find 3 MPH there. You gain HP from being at sea level and salt water is faster than fresh water.
Here is what the old slip calculator says you need to do on Havasu or Parker. 6,600 RPM, 1.22 gear, 30 pitch prop, 5% slip equals 146.0 MPH. So if you can get that motor to spin another 200 PPM from where Teague had it, you will be there! I don't think you will be able to improve your slip factor. 5% is as good as it gets. So you need more power or a lighter boat. Unfortunately, the weather is getting hotter. When you try again, try early in the morning when it is colder (if colder is possibe in Havasu). Can you take any weight out of the boat?
SVO 540 - OUT
Your right my slip was really bad with the four blade and always has been. The driver center shaft is set even with the lowest part of the lowest sponson,Remember when Teague drove it he had 1.22 gears and I had 1.25 when I ran.I had changed the drive the night before Teague ran it Teague said it felt like thats all there was that day ( 141.9) though the water was like glass and a lot of people say that 2ft of chop really helps the top speed, whan I ran at havasu there was 1.5-2 ft chop so that can make a differance. I sent the prop in to be labbed so that may help a little ,I could reduce about 600 lbs from the boat based on what it was at when Teague drove it. Theres more in the timing but im afraid to go there. I really think with some good water conditions,good air,reduced weight, labbed prop I can get there it alwasy seems it tough to just get that little bit more being im so close !! 2.2 mph shouldnt be that tough.
Thanks for all the advice and keep it comming ,theres got to be some secret HP out there some where. !!!

al cole'holic
03-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Rock-it man
We will be next door at the Queens Bay . There will be seven of us. Are you all going to the Pizza feed Fri Night ?? we can all meet up there and I will be also going to the Lunch run to Havasu Springs on Fri. Heres what Im doing Sat morning for the Poker Run . 6:00 AM launch boat at Windsow ,take boat to the Channal and tie up close to walking distance to Queens bay. Drive over to the Drivers meeting,after the meeting drive back to queens bay and get the boat and wait for the Poker Run, There will be no room at Nautical for any more boats for the drivers meeting.
Maybe we can all set a time and place to meet either Fri or Sat or even Thur evening for those that will be there maybe dinner & a Shasta Cola ! hehehe !!
Hey RIM, will this be the very next time this boat will hit the water?? I would like to make sure to be out there, I am sure the boyz in my crew that weekend would sure like to be there too! :D

Rock-it man
03-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
Hey RIM, will this be the very next time this boat will hit the water?? I would like to make sure to be out there, I am sure the boyz in my crew that weekend would sure like to be there too! :D
Yes it will ! Will be going out on the run to Lunch at Havasu Springs.The boat will be in the channal early Fri AM so we can walk down from the condo to go on the run to lunch. Then back to windsor and fill her with 110 !!!!! for Sat !!! YEE !!!!! HAWWWWW !!!!! Im ready ,never been to one of these big events !! so looking forward to it !!

al cole'holic
03-30-2004, 06:29 PM
Yes it will ! Will be going out on the run to Lunch at Havasu Springs.The boat will be in the channal early Fri AM so we can walk down from the condo to go on the run to lunch. Then back to windsor and fill her with 110 !!!!! for Sat !!! YEE !!!!! HAWWWWW !!!!! Im ready ,never been to one of these big events !! so looking forward to it !!
..looks like we'll be cutting the Laughlin show a little short this year :D

Robbie Racer
03-30-2004, 06:50 PM
NorCal, I won't be able to make it to the Spring Heatwave run this year. The new replacement rotors for the blower finally have arrived but now I can't get a dyno date until April 29th? :confused:
Have fun. Hopefully I can make it to Havasu in the fall for the end of the season poker run. R/R

NorCalCat
03-31-2004, 09:22 AM
.Maybe we can all set a time and place to meet either Fri or Sat or even Thur evening for those that will be there maybe dinner & a Shasta Cola ! hehehe !!
We will be getting in mid/late afternoon on Friday. I am going down tomorrow to check out the build, hopefuly they are on schedule. I will post some pics, come buy and say hi if I don't see you first

RACER52
03-31-2004, 10:01 AM
RIM=
we have a spot at crazy horse with the new R.V. I would like to meet up with all of you guys. So look fo the boat in my avatar.
Not sure if I will be running the poker run yet. As the week prior down there will be my break in and set up week. Keep your fingers crossed.
So far everything is coming out great!!! Should be running on Sunday.
(with a little luck)
Racer

P P R
03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
Rock-it man , What do you mean you have never been to a big event? (PORTLAND POKER RUN) Or maybe we are just big on return for dollars spent .

Rock-it man
03-31-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by P P R
Rock-it man , What do you mean you have never been to a big event? (PORTLAND POKER RUN) Or maybe we are just big on return for dollars spent .
What I mean was BIG !!!!!!! 250 boats entered and 250 boats watching !!!:) now thats BIG !! Ive seen the videos and I think you have, but they dont show it all, I guess theres three starts for all the boats. But if is too big for ya , im pretty sure I can get a couple boat babes to ride with me !!!! hehehe !!! probably would be much more fun than a couple rednecks out of the NorthWest !!
Are you all tanned up for the trip :p When you get in there Thur night sleep fast cause on Friday its time to Rock !!!

P P R
03-31-2004, 03:43 PM
Iam ready ,my lifelines are ready .They have never been wet so lets keep it that way. So i take it you beleave size does matter? Rednecks lol Thanks

Rock-it man
03-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by P P R
Iam ready ,my lifelines are ready .They have never been wet so lets keep it that way. So i take it you beleave size does matter? Rednecks lol Thanks
No promises ,heck I havent lost anyone since last oct !!!:D so it may be your turn !!;)

SVO 540
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Your right my slip was really bad with the four blade and always has been. The driver center shaft is set even with the lowest part of the lowest sponson,Remember when Teague drove it he had 1.22 gears and I had 1.25 when I ran.I had changed the drive the night before Teague ran it Teague said it felt like thats all there was that day ( 141.9) though the water was like glass and a lot of people say that 2ft of chop really helps the top speed, whan I ran at havasu there was 1.5-2 ft chop so that can make a differance. I sent the prop in to be labbed so that may help a little ,I could reduce about 600 lbs from the boat based on what it was at when Teague drove it. Theres more in the timing but im afraid to go there. I really think with some good water conditions,good air,reduced weight, labbed prop I can get there it alwasy seems it tough to just get that little bit more being im so close !! 2.2 mph shouldnt be that tough.
Thanks for all the advice and keep it comming ,theres got to be some secret HP out there some where. !!!
Rock-it Man,
I see you got very little out of my slip analysis. The answer is in the details Rocket. You are limiting yourself by not factoring slip into your quest for the record.
With that said and not factoring in slip. Lab your prop and get that 600 pounds out of the boat and you are there. BTW there is a difference in slip from a lab prop to a non lab prop but that's not important. The lab prop will allow you to turn more RPM. You pick up aprox 150 RPM by labbing a 4 blade. I don't know what to expect with a 5 blade. Post the results so I will have that answer for future use.
SVO 540 - OUT

gnarley
03-31-2004, 10:26 PM
2.2 mph shouldnt be that tough.
RIM, glad all went well and nothing major broke. I hope for you 2.2 MPH comes easy. But when chasing records it has always been the most difficult when you are so close you can taste it. That last little bit has always been the hardest to surpass and then to back it up and stand on it.
Good Luck and I hope you do it!!!

Rock-it man
04-01-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by SVO 540
Rock-it Man,
I see you got very little out of my slip analysis. The answer is in the details Rocket. You are limiting yourself by not factoring slip into your quest for the record.
With that said and not factoring in slip. Lab your prop and get that 600 pounds out of the boat and you are there. BTW there is a difference in slip from a lab prop to a non lab prop but that's not important. The lab prop will allow you to turn more RPM. You pick up aprox 150 RPM by labbing a 4 blade. I don't know what to expect with a 5 blade. Post the results so I will have that answer for future use.
SVO 540 - OUT
Its not that I didn't get anything its that I dont really understand the way slip works,I have been basing everything on the speed ,rpm, handling,prop. But your ##'s indicate that the five blade is the way to go but I have heard it dosn't work on all cats the same.The five blade gave me 5.8 mph at the same rpm so that says it works. It will be hotter at Havasu when I try again but hopfully the water will have a little chop in it and I will reduce the weight as much as possible. I will be easy on it at the Heatwave and save the real speed for the Eliminator Regatta, Though I do plan on running at say 12 lbs boost so I can run around 110-120 for the first leg of the Heatwave along as water conditions allow even at that boost the boat will cruise over 100 mph at 4500 rpm. Thanks for all the help keep it comming as Im sure theres a lot of outhers out the dialing in boats and they can use this info also. Im really pleased with the IMCO 4x4 drive even though ive exceeded its HP rating as long as I dont hammer it,its working. I think that you guys with around 1000 hp would benifit from it a lot more than me,the transmision in it allows you to raise the idle ,bigger cam and makes it really driveable around the marinias, and the 14" standoff box really helps also. Im getting excited about the Heatwave so think ill put another coat of wax on today !!! hehehe !!!!

Reaper1
04-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Hey Rock it. I was reading Powerboat yesterday and came across an ad for Pro Charger. In the ad they said a DCB Mach 26 went 144. Does anybody know anything about this boat? Did I read the ad wrong? This is the first I heard about any Mach 26 going that fast.:confused:

Rock-it man
04-01-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Reaper1
Hey Rock it. I was reading Powerboat yesterday and came across an ad for Pro Charger. In the ad they said a DCB Mach 26 went 144. Does anybody know anything about this boat? Did I read the ad wrong? This is the first I heard about any Mach 26 going that fast.:confused:
Ive never heard anything about it . I was with Dave from DCB at Parker and never heard him say anything either. Seems to me if they did run that fast it would be a BIG deal. Claims are easy to make but harder to back up . Iv never rode in a mach 26 but when I was looking at cats the reason I chose an Eliminator is becouse they had allready been where I wanted to go with there cats,and DCB had not ,that was about 2 years ago though.. Im using the Quadrotor and its very difficult to get to 140 with any single eng boat,I havent heard if Procharger has a Quad to compare with whipple ,you guys know how hard it is just to get over 120mph let alone 140 mph so lets get them to post the details cause if they did get to 144 I want to know how they did it.

BADBLOWN572
04-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Hey R-I-M, just thought that you might want to know that this boat below just went 140. Notice the open bow. Also standard layup all motor. Motor is plummed for NOS, but never used. Sounds like you could have a good run on your hands. All under the hatch. Proably around 400-500lbs of stereo equipment in the boat as well.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598AUBERLEN_MOTOR.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598AUBERLEN_DASH.JPG

Rock-it man
04-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
Hey R-I-M, just thought that you might want to know that this boat below just went 140. Notice the open bow. Also standard layup all motor. Motor is plummed for NOS, but never used. Sounds like you could have a good run on your hands. All under the hatch. Proably around 400-500lbs of stereo equipment in the boat as well.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598AUBERLEN_MOTOR.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598AUBERLEN_DASH.JPG
Thats impressive becouse I know what it takes to get there and its not for the fainthearted !!!! What knind of boat and how was the ride,specs,etc I want them all !!!!:D He only needs 4.1 mph and need 2.2 mph to beat Eliminators record so lets get togeather !!! for a run. Will it be at Havasu for the heatwave ?
come on now you cant just temp me and not tell the rest of the story !!!! Spill the beens !!

BADBLOWN572
04-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Its mean lets say that much. The owner is a professional race car driver and it builds some major power. I recall it being mid 1400h.p. I know that it will be up at Havasu for the Heatwave. I don't know if it is going to be in the run, but it will be there.
As for ride specs, I have not been in the boat over 120, but at 120 I felt perfectly fine. Never felt light, squirly, or anything. Tracked straight with no problems. I have driven mine 118 with no problems. The boat is the same make and model as mine. Carrera 257 open bow.
Here is another shot of the engine. The motor whistles like crazy. You will hear it coming.
http://www.carreraboats.com/Regatta2k/images/DSCN0311.jpg

flat broke
04-01-2004, 03:21 PM
If its the boat I'm thinking of, it is a 257 effect and was in ***boat a couple of years ago. Some CART/IRL/Whatever driver owns it.
I think it was even a cover boat. Yellow with blue tribal/flame with an openbow.
Chris
edit, guess I need to type a little faster :cool:

Reaper1
04-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill Auberlen

Rock-it man
04-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
If its the boat I'm thinking of, it is a 257 effect and was in ***boat a couple of years ago. Some CART/IRL/Whatever driver owns it.
I think it was even a cover boat. Yellow with blue tribal/flame with an openbow.
Chris
edit, guess I need to type a little faster :cool:
The Carrera is a fast hull ,but no canopys ,that must have HURT !!!! I wont be going for any real speed at the heatwave maybe 130 mph if someone bothers me !! hehehe !!!! Just want to have some fun and not break anything ! just one speed run to the first stop in the pokerrun and then just cruise and enjoy !!! Dont need to prove anything anymore cause I KNOW I can do 144.1 now so just have to do it once the next weekend at the Eliminator regatta May 1, then think about my next project !!:D
After that will probably sell this boat and move up. Wont be looking to beat Predator or anything like that but just somthing I can build thats way out there. Any IDEAS ???? what would be the wildest thing on the water in a twin engine Cat !!!!

BADBLOWN572
04-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Believe it or not, the Carrera is not the fastest hull out there, but it is one of the most stable. I have been in Daytonas with the same power and they will run faster, but I didn't feel as comfortable in them. It is the perfect blend of speed and stability.

Tom Slick
04-01-2004, 04:21 PM
RIM,
How about shooting for the twin engine record set by the 36' Bacardi Silver Skater at over 202mph.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/819liberty.jpg
Good luck with what ever your next project is. I admire your drive to beat speed records.

RACER52
04-01-2004, 04:31 PM
RIM=
35ish skater,mti,nortech and put twin, twin turbos with pulse drives, or the arneson bolt ups.
That would be exotic.
I looked into the pulse drive and arneson for my rig but am tooooooo cheap.
Racer

RACER52
04-01-2004, 04:32 PM
you cant go too big cause you daont want a boat bigger than your houseboat. That would be silly for the cat attack in 2005.

Rock-it man
04-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Believe it or not, the Carrera is not the fastest hull out there, but it is one of the most stable. I have been in Daytonas with the same power and they will run faster, but I didn't feel as comfortable in them. It is the perfect blend of speed and stability.
You want stable you should ride in mine,being this paticular hull was built for the #6 drive and Im using an IMCO 4x4 it dosn't feel any different at 100 as it does at 140 mph , flat and straight ,feels soild as a rock ,the set up and X dim is apparently perfict ,I would want the same in a larger Cat.
Maybe I could trade in the Houseboat :rolleyes: its only 56 ft long !!:rolleyes:
Will be looking close at all the hardware at the Heatwave.

Tom Slick
04-01-2004, 05:38 PM
If you want to go fast safely you will need to look at the east coast builders like Skater and MTI.
If I had an unlimited budget and was looking to be the fastest guy in the neighborhood, I would built a 36' flat deck Skater with a pair of 1600-2000hp motors and run a set of Weisman drives. Build the boat with an enclosed 4 man cockpit with A/C and oxygen. You would be one bad mofo at the next poker run. :D

mbrown2
04-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Next project.....how about a DCB 29 with twin quadwhipples like you have now.....Good for maybe 160-175...Maybe a little unsafe with a boat that small...
Otherwise Skater or MTI with twin quads or 1350 Sterlings...

Charley
04-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Tom Slick
I would built a 36' flat deck Skater with a pair of 1600-2000hp motors and run a set of Weisman drives.
Niice choice Slick... I have "Like" dreams...except tame it down to 1000's and skip the oxygen ;)
here is a "prime" example
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3838DCP_2587-med.jpg

BADBLOWN572
04-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Here is my dream boat. Only 800k used
http://server1.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/upload/boats.4528.1.jpg

Craig
04-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Charley
Niice choice Slick... I have "Like" dreams...except tame it down to 1000's and skip the oxygen ;)
Hey Charlie when you obtain your "dream", can I have your reality :D

Rock-it man
04-02-2004, 12:16 PM
You all need a dose of reality !!!!!!!:D OK !!! win the Lottery !!!! and your there !!!! Remember when they said if your lucky you might make $ 800,000. in a life time !

Steamin' Rice
04-02-2004, 01:07 PM
Here is my dream boat. Only 800k used
http://server1.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/upload/boats.4528.1.jpg
I bet a cash offer of $795k would take it... :D :D

BADBLOWN572
04-02-2004, 02:46 PM
You all need a dose of reality !!!!!!!:D OK !!! win the Lottery !!!! and your there !!!! Remember when they said if your lucky you might make $ 800,000. in a life time !
If you cant dream big, what is the purpose of dreaming at all?

Craig
04-02-2004, 08:12 PM
If you cant dream big, what is the purpose of dreaming at all?
Amen brother :D