PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the new 2006 Vortex Max yet?

2Driver
03-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Anyone picked up the new 1500 Crewcab with the new 345HP/385 torque 6.0 vortec max? THis is NOT the old 1500 HD.
I'd be interested in how it tows over the stock 5.3 1500 w/3:73's.
Grassy ass.

2Driver
03-30-2006, 03:36 PM
No one? Thoughts?
http://www.victorychevroletusa.com/en_US/frm_index.chtml?pageName=MiscPage_2&noc=1&overrideUrl=f_MiscPage_2.chtml

Cole Trickle
03-30-2006, 03:50 PM
I have driven/dynoed more than one and they have a TON of motor and run hard.(I saw more than one make 300+ to the wheels when Hemi rams only make 270)
I would still avoid towing over 8K pounds as it still has 1500 brakes and suspension.
My 05 1500 with the 5.3 and 3:73's tows well but it is no substitute for the Duramax/Allison equipped trucks.(It tows 5000lbs like nothing)
I think it would make a sweet hot rod and would do a great job of towing 7000lbs and less.

2Driver
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
THanks, I'm just looking to get a little more power towing 5,500-6,000. My Avalanche with the 5.3 and 3:73 seems to be bogged down a bit and hills are not fun. The back fusion will like the 1500 over a 3/4 ton as well. Although the Avalanche has the premium ride

MagicMtnDan
03-30-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm surprised Jordy hasn't weighed in on this. He somehow appears to be away from a computer :rollside:

Cole Trickle
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
THanks, I'm just looking to get a little more power towing 5,500-6,000. My Avalanche with the 5.3 and 3:73 seems to be bogged down a bit and hills are not fun. The back fusion will like the 1500 over a 3/4 ton as well. Although the Avalanche has the premium ride
It will be night and day over the Avalanche......
My truck would tow night and day over the avalanche as the Avalanches are so heavy.

beyondhelpin
03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I have the 2005 Z71 with the 5.3 HO (aluminum block and heads) 310HP with 4:10 gears. It is a total dog. The torque managment system rob it of all its power. I could barely tow my boat (5500 to 6000 pounds loaded) with up a small hill from a dead stop. I even manualy put the truck in it lowest gear and still barely made it up the hill. Forget pulling out in traffic.
What is sad is the motor really has to power but the torque management system will not allow me to use it. My 2000 Z71 with the normal 5.3 with 3:73 gears out tows the new truck in every aspect. It is not even close.
It pisses me off to no end. I have been exclusive Chevy since early 80s. Sadly this will be my last just because Chevy wants to lower warranty work. Why even have the powerful motor if I can use it. It even takes away the advantage of the 4:10 gears for towing. So the low gas mileage from the motor and gears gained my nothing. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cole Trickle
03-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I have the 2005 Z71 with the 5.3 HO (aluminum block and heads) 310HP with 4:10 gears. It is a total dog. The torque managment system rob it of all its power. I could barely tow my boat (5500 to 6000 pounds loaded) with up a small hill from a dead stop. I even manualy put the truck in it lowest gear and still barely made it up the hill. Forget pulling out in traffic.
What is sad is the motor really has to power but the torque management system will not allow me to use it. My 2000 Z71 with the normal 5.3 with 3:73 gears out tows the new truck in every aspect. It is not even close.
It pisses me off to no end. I have been exclusive Chevy since early 80s. Sadly this will be my last just because Chevy wants to lower warranty work. Why even have the powerful motor if I can use it. It even takes away the advantage of the 4:10 gears for towing. So the low gas mileage from the motor and gears gained my nothing. :mad: :mad: :mad:
you can fix that quick with tuning.
My 03 had bad TQ management until I added the Diablo tune and then it killed tires and pulled hard.
Our 05 dosen't have that problem with stock tuning.

beyondhelpin
03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Yea I just hate to pay an extra $400 and take a chance to screw up my warranty for what should already be there.

GHT
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
If you don't get another Chevy its okay... Just don't go with Dodge, Ford, Toyota or Nissan and you'll be better off. Guess that leaves you with???? Chevy. :)

beyondhelpin
03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
If you don't get another Chevy its okay... Just don't go with Dodge, Ford, Toyota or Nissan and you'll be better off. Guess that leaves you with???? Chevy. :)
This is hard for me. Please do not make lite of my pain. :crossx:

GHT
03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
This is hard for me. Please do not make lite of my pain. :crossx:
Point taken.... Hope it all works out the way you want it.... :rolleyes: :cool:
"It might not be right, but it is what it is"

Tom Brown
03-30-2006, 08:31 PM
It's not like the 5.3 was low on power before. lol!
It's too bad GM can't figure out how to build a truck that will comfortably hold a 6'4" driver because they have excellent drive trains and they aren't as hideous as that angular thing they tried to prosecute on the public a few years ago, either.

beyondhelpin
03-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I was just kidding. No need to get all apologetic and shiat! :)

GHT
03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I was just kidding. No need to get all apologetic and shiat! :)
:D :D :D and Sh1t...

scarabrick2
03-31-2006, 08:29 AM
Go to www.fullsizechevy.com and look up WAIT4ME performance. Eevryone is happy with him and the cost is cheap. You can even buy a new box and keep the stock one for when you go into the dealership
Rick

core attitude
03-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Go to www.fullsizechevy.com and look up WAIT4ME performance. Eevryone is happy with him and the cost is cheap. You can even buy a new box and keep the stock one for when you go into the dealership
Rick
Here is the web site. (http://www.wait4meperformance.com/)

InKahntrol
03-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm in a similar boat. My 2000 Silverado was a good truck and served me well, and it did a fine job towing my old flatty. Now that I've got a heavier boat, it has to work pretty hard going up the hills.
I swore I wouldn't buy another Chevy (the suspension got loose at 70,000 miles)... but I don't know what else to buy. The new Ford is heavy and underpowered, the Titan supposedly has bad brakes and poor mileage, and while I LOVE the way the Dodge looks, I've heard the build quality is so/so.
So what's the answer? Wait for the new Tundra next year? Any thoughts?