PDA

View Full Version : Is your dog well trained?

clownpuncher
03-27-2004, 02:25 PM
I had to write this post after reading about Dans66Stevens and his dog.
As many may realize, MOST firemen have a second job or "career". My second career for about 15 years was trainer of Police/Narcotics/explosive/Search dogs. I've trained dogs for many So Cal Police departments and even some foreign governments.
All the training was employed to get the dog to do what was needed. Find/bite suspects, find narcotics etc. The magnitude of teh training would astound most of you. High intensity. The safety of the officers/citizens etc was relient on proper training of both the handler and K-9.
Obedience is a large part of K-9 training. The dogs could be running full speed and "down" at a single verbal command from the handler. The dogs would also re-call, or come, with the same intensity.
I've also trained many dogs for civilians. Home protection and obedience being the most called for.
I would explain to the students (human) that obedience is more than something to show off to friends and onlookers. Obedience can literally save your dogs life. If your dog is running across the street to greet your neighbor the last thing you need to see is him/her getting hit by a car. If the car doesn't hit your dog, but crashes to avoid it, you could be sued for causing an avoidable accident. Succesfully sued? Who know's? But, sued nonetheless.
By point is very simple. If you have a dog, you owe it to him/her, yourself, your neighbors and all those that come into contact with your dog, to have your dog properly trained in obedience. Whether at home, family trips in the car, the Sandbar or wherever, you gotta control your dog.
I can go on for days with horror stories. No need to.
Dans66Stevens, I'm sorry for your loss. This is in no way a slam to you or yours. It's just a little reminder to others to please do what they can do to keep their dogs safe from harm. It would be a sad day if this happend again to someone else we know.
If you're responsible enough to bring a dog home, be resonsible enough to provide a safe environment for it. If you don't want it trained, keep it in the yard or house where it won't get hurt, or hurt others. Nuff said on my part.
Hang in there Dan.

fourspeednup
03-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Obedience training would have been a good idea for my old dog. It was like living in a submarine......every time the front door was opened there was a chinese fire drill with everyone running around like an idiot making sure all other doors leading into the living room were closed.:D
Pretty funny in hindsight:D

phebus
03-27-2004, 03:53 PM
What about wives? :confused:

shaffewm
03-27-2004, 05:52 PM
As you can see I've trained our dog to never leave the back of the boat without my permission:D

fourspeednup
03-27-2004, 06:53 PM
nice, obedient dog you got there;)

PACKINAIR
03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
one of out great pyrenees got out and was hit by a car.. over $3k to try and save him but he passed away, I had to pay $3800 to fix the car that hit him:(

Tom Brown
03-27-2004, 09:38 PM
My uncle has a dog that walks up to people and rams her nose into their crotch. She doesn't sniff or make a gesture of any kind, it's just as though she doesn't quite stop in time but it happens every time I go over there. She's a big sturdy mutt with a nose exactly at the same level as my cock. That bitch has folded me up too many times to mention.
I'd pay for some obedience training to break her of that. Failing that, I'd pay to have some electrodes implanted in her uterus, if I had the remote to give her a high voltage hit whenever she does that. It would ease my discomfort a little.

fourspeednup
03-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
My uncle has a dog that walks up to people and rams her nose into their crotch. She doesn't sniff or make a gesture of any kind, it's just as though she doesn't quite stop in time but it happens every time I go over there. She's a big sturdy mutt with a nose exactly at the same level as my cock. That bitch has folded me up too many times to mention.
I'd pay for some obedience training to break her of that. Failing that, I'd pay to have some electrodes implanted in her uterus, if I had the remote to give her a high voltage hit whenever she does that. It would ease my discomfort a little.
Holy crap I just choked on my beer! I think it just came out my nose....ouch:D

moneysucker
03-27-2004, 10:46 PM
I spent the winter wet sanding and buffing the dog tracks off the deck of my black boat that some jack ass let their dog walk all the way from bow to passenger seat before dragging it back out across the deck. No wittnesses ar confessions just strong suspicions as to who's dog it was.
I am now well trained. my boat will never be pulled up to the sand bar again. Kids and dogs stay away and no splashing by the aluminum.
Sorry about your misfortune dan I am pretty sure it wasn't your dog that got my boat.
Cy

sorry dog
03-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Ole Mega****
<====
just plays along like she gives a shit about training and discipline. That is until you turn your back for 30 seconds and then the hunt is on...
She usually remembers where certain dogs live and will go stake the place out.

victorfb
03-28-2004, 10:39 AM
i dont see a dog in the picture, just a nice poocher.:p

Dr. Eagle
03-28-2004, 10:47 AM
"Does your dog bite?"
" NO"
Dog clamps on the good inspectors leg.....
"I thought you said your dog did not bite"
"It's not my dog"

mud duck
03-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Obedience training is great, but owners still must reinforce that training continuously for it to make a difference. I have a 120 lb female Alaskan Malamute who went through two eight week obedience courses before she was 1 & 1/2 years old. She learned a lot, I learned a lot, we both passed with no problems. That was 1993 and 1994. Over the years I have slacked off in my regular reinforcement of those commands. She still will come, sit, lay down, go to the back yard from the front yard all when told, but healing and/or walking on a leash is horrible. Also calling her off a rabbit, chip monk or dear is next to impossible. When I go up to the cabin she is never chained or fenced, yet always stays within 50 yards of me (usually closer). Stranger's reactions will also slightly dictate her actions, it usually depends on their comfort level around dogs. Over all I am not disappointed. I believe her obedience that has been lost over the years is purely my fault. Dogs will do what they are told if taught to do so. However, owners should have some good training too, and I should have forced myself into reinforcing that good training over the years for a better behaved dog later on, like now ten years later.
Only my .02 cents.

NorCal Gameshow
03-28-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
T.B you aint right:D :D :D