PDA

View Full Version : pump inspection question:

Riverat84
03-30-2006, 08:27 AM
how big of a hassle would it be for me to tear my pump apart and check the impeller/wear ring?....how long would it take?

Riverat84
03-30-2006, 08:28 AM
after seeing what happened to that guy's pump, and after that rock got stuck inbetween my blades, i would love to check it out....thanx
Reid

IMPATIENT 1
03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Depending On What Type Pump You Have, It Usuallly Takes Me @30 Minutes To Tear Down My 12je Berk.even If You Take The Bowl Off,ya Still Gotta Pull The Impellor To Check Wear Ring Surface.this Requires Special Tools And A Bunch Of Four Letter Words!its Not Hard, But I Have Access To The Rite Tools For The Job Too.if You've Never Done It Or Don't Have Alot Of Time With Wrenches,take It To Your Nearest Pump Professional.its Cheaper To Pay Somebody To Do It Rite Than Try Yourself And Damage A Suction Housing,impellor,shaft,etc..

El Prosecutor
03-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I am a newb, but went from zero knowledge to a successful complete rebuild in the last few months. If you are just pulling the bowl and impeller it is a piece of cake, especially if nobody has gotten carried away with silicone (or other adhesive/sealant goop) on the transom adapter. Easy afternoon job if you study the diagram and plan ahead.
12JC:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3252Berkeley_12Jc_Drawing.jpg
If you are just inspecting impeller and wear ring you can unhook the control cables and leave everything else in place. Remove the transom adapter, unbolt the bowl from the suction housing, and pull the whole bowl assembly off in one piece. Remove the impeller nut and pull the impeller. I have read that like anything else mechanical some impellers can get seized etc. and are harder to pull than others; mine was easy. Good luck!!

Riverat84
03-30-2006, 11:30 AM
hey thatnx everybody, alot of help!....what about the different cuts on the impellers? what do they mean? how do you know which ones to use? diff hp's? or what? thanx guys,
Reid

flat broke
03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Reid,
We pulled Dan's impeller in about 25-30 minutes. One thing you need to pay VERY careful attention to on your boat is the silicone joint between your hull and transom adapter. Because your boat is painted, it is very easy to start peeling or chipping the paint when you try and break that seal. You might want to use some piano wire or a guitar string to cut the silicone. But even then, when cleaning the silicone off the hull, you run the risk of some paint problems. In your instance, if you can see the rock from under the boat, it would be easier to pull the intake and see if you can remove it that way.
Good luck,
Chris

Riverat84
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Reid,
We pulled Dan's impeller in about 25-30 minutes. One thing you need to pay VERY careful attention to on your boat is the silicone joint between your hull and transom adapter. Because your boat is painted, it is very easy to start peeling or chipping the paint when you try and break that seal. You might want to use some piano wire or a guitar string to cut the silicone. But even then, when cleaning the silicone off the hull, you run the risk of some paint problems. In your instance, if you can see the rock from under the boat, it would be easier to pull the intake and see if you can remove it that way.
Good luck,
Chris
hey! yeah i taked to tyson a couplle days ago, and yeah i know that i would'nt have to take the whole thing off, just crawl under there....how about those goddamn brass screws holding on the intake grate? they're STRIPPED! what should we do? just drill em out? thats what tyson reccommended and what i thought was the only poss.
thanx chris,
Reid

flat broke
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
hey! yeah i taked to tyson a couplle days ago, and yeah i know that i would'nt have to take the whole thing off, just crawl under there....how about those goddamn brass screws holding on the intake grate? they're STRIPPED! what should we do? just drill em out? thats what tyson reccommended and what i thought was the only poss.
thanx chris,
Reid
First of all, those things could have resulted in a toasted pump if they had let go allowing the loader to hit the impeller or punch a hole in the suction. They'll be easy enough to remove (as far as stripped bolts go), but we'll need to get you set up with some good hardware when you reinstall the loader. I don't like to drill stuff out of aluminum holes unless we absolutely have to because if the drill walks a little it's too easy to mess up the surrounding aluminum. Hopefully you can get an extractor (ezout) do do the work after drilling a small pilot hole.
Chris

Riverat84
03-30-2006, 12:40 PM
First of all, those things could have resulted in a toasted pump if they had let go allowing the loader to hit the impeller or punch a hole in the suction. They'll be easy enough to remove (as far as stripped bolts go), but we'll need to get you set up with some good hardware when you reinstall the loader. I don't like to drill stuff out of aluminum holes unless we absolutely have to because if the drill walks a little it's too easy to mess up the surrounding aluminum. Hopefully you can get an extractor (ezout) do do the work after drilling a small pilot hole.
Chris
yeah tell me about it, ive had that problem before w/ many other things....aluminum is good, but scary to work with!...ill let you guys know, when can you help me?....im free on sunday?