PDA

View Full Version : What Is Nostalgia Circle Racing?

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 03:33 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517f59-3.bmp
I know this boat doesn't have a v-drive in it, but, hear me out. There are a number of us in this forum that have been able to compete recently in the newly formed Nostalgia Flat and GN classes here in SoCal. I've driven in a few of them and they have been a great, safe, fun and economical way to go to the circle races. I know anyone else who has done the same will agree. Along with all the aforementioned reasons, the class is pretty cool because of the different types of hulls and engines that come out to compete. If you have ever attended any of the Goodguys Drag Races, you'll know that Nostalgia racing is on the rise. We have a chance within the APBA to do the same. My understanding is as far as the upcoming races at Parker, there are 8 boats registered for NOS Flat and 4 for NOS GN. I know that number will continue to grow!
Which brings us to the boat pictured above. This is a 5litre hydroplane out of the early 70's that has been restored by the Bewick brothers out of Riverside. I had the honor of driving this boat in it's first race in over 25 years in the NOS Flat class at the Thanksgiving Race

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 03:45 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517f59-g-med.jpg
I have been told that the boat does not fit into the exsisting GN rules and therefore is no longer legal to race in the Flat or GN class. If you were there I'd like to know your opinion of how it fit in. We were all out there to have fun and if you know your circle boat history you'll know that hydros were a huge part of the scene all the way up to the late 70's. I would love to see a Nostalgia hydro class start real soon. It is my understanding that there are few in the process of restoration right now! But, if the only current, running NOS hydro in SoCal has nowhere to run currently down here, what's the incentive? All I'm asking is, would it be too much to let the thing get out there and run in the outside lane, There are a number of people who have never seen a conventional hydro run in a circle race. The guys I ran with thought it was cool just to run down the chute with the thing. I think the owner would even settle for a few hotlaps after the National Anthem each day! Let's not squelch our inboard racing heritage! Any of you guys that have got some pull with the SCSC, we could sure use it

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517f59-5.bmp
She throws a little water in the corners!

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 03:48 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517f59-2-med.jpg

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 03:52 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1517f59-4.bmp
The Bewick brothers are in the cowboy hats. They have had the boat under restoration for 7 years. If you have seen it, you know how beautiful it is and it runs almost a 100mph with a 305 smallblock. Oh, and if you've never circleraced at 100 with no down pedal, I can't tell you what a thrill that is!

coolchange
03-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Used to watch those at Long Beach I think it was. Seems to me the least they could is run an exhibition class or something. Its not like the course is never empty. Then a guy says " hey didnt your Dad have one of those 2 litre hydros? He still has it? lets get it out!"

boatguy222
03-27-2004, 05:54 PM
Dave,
Come to Washington, and you can run with a couple of other nostalgia Hydros. the course is a little smaller but we have alot of fun, I think one of the boats is a 225, and not sure what the other is. Circlejerk will be on here sometime tonight I'am sure and he can tell you what the boats are.
I am sure you would more than welcome

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Dave,
You know I support ya!!:D
How about getting the Doidges out along with those two 5 litre guys that used to run C.O.B.R.A. ?? I bet Jim Wilkes knows where to locate them??
That would make 4 boats and a legal class....
Jerry :cool:

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 06:49 PM
The owner has talked with me about going up there to drive a couple back to back races that run, I think, in June. I've seen some pictures of the boats that have been restored up there, I'd be great to come up and run with them! Maybe we could set something up where they come down and run at the Stadium in August.

Dave Sammons
03-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
Dave,
You know I support ya!!:D
How about getting the Doidges out along with those two 5 litre guys that used to run C.O.B.R.A. ?? I bet Jim Wilkes knows where to locate them??
That would make 4 boats and a legal class....
Jerry :cool:
The Doidge's boat from what I've heard is a full length tunnel boat. According to the SCSC they are legal for the NOS GN class because Inboard tunnels ran some endurance races(The fact is, so did hydroplanes back in the late 60's, early 70's. According to Harlan Orrin, one actually won the inboard race at the 9 Hour before being protested by Nordskgog). Your idea was the reason I wanted to throw this out there. The video you shot of the boat at the Thanksgiving race was awesome! I can't believe the "powers that be" are making this so difficult! I'm out of town on business this week. I don't know if I'll get a chance to call him b-4 the weekend, but, it's worth a shot! What do you think of a few hotlaps after the Anthem. I think it would be a great way to salute the past drivers of all the Inboard classes.

CircleJerk
03-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Dave Sammons
The owner has talked with me about going up there to drive a couple back to back races that run, I think, in June. I've seen some pictures of the boats that have been restored up there, I'd be great to come up and run with them! Maybe we could set something up where they come down and run at the Stadium in August.
Oh boy, Yes, boat guy is right, we have two lonesome 266 hydros up here running by themselves with all the spray and glory they once commanded in days of old! I have decided not to wait for more hydros to join them and have asked permission to run some of our oldest flats with them. So, starting at the Seattle race we will invite a 16 Rayson and Rayson Kids new Howard to run side by side with those awesome boats. We have full liability insurance up to two million and cover other expenses that no one else does! Our NBRA sanctioning body are a Hydroplane club and we would love to welcome you to our two opener races June 12-13 and 19-20 for the time of your life and all the fan fare and promotion that you should be entitled to! Dont think I am bragging but we have the greatest bunch of family orientated racer-friends with the biggest hearts, just ask our Master of Ceremonies: Harlan Orrin from Falbrook Calif. He will be our tech official and guest at both opening races. One last note, be prepared to start on a nostalgic circle clock that is a piece right out of 1970! Welcome, welcome, please send me your address for a video of our wonderful Nosty action. This also applies to anyone intending to make the long trip north to witness an actual 'Revival' of boat racing madness! YourRoyAljErK at your service!:)

InKahntrol
03-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Hi Dave,
I have watched that video of you running the hydro about a dozen times, its awesome. There are a lot of really cool nostalgia boats coming together right now, from V12 powered enduro racers to hydros like yours. I think it would be awesome to see all of them in action.
On a side note, the turbo setup is coming along nicely. I decided to build a new motor to go along with the new induction, so I'm building a 496 long rod roller motor. The pistons and crank have been ordered, and I hope to have it on the dyno by the end of April. Thanks again!
Dan

eraser
03-28-2004, 02:25 PM
dave, that boat is awesome. I agree with you 100%. If its a nostalgia class and your the only game in town what does it hurt to let you run. I think anyone who is into circle racing would dig seeing that thing run. My brother {sangerboy} and I are looking for a hydro just like that to put together for his daughter. Unfortunately i have no juice with the scsc but you definately have my support!!!!!!!!!!!

Misbehavin'
03-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Dave,
Like you mentioned, we had a blast running with the Hydro out there on Thanksgiving. One of the cooler parts about the Nostalgia deal is how excited the friends & family get about going to the races. The Berwick gang put a tremendous amount of work in that boat, and for me the highlight of the day was seeing the expressions on their faces after our heats.
According to Ross, "we need more boats that would be impetus enough on my part to go to "bat" with APBA to see how "legally" we could let them race. Also, I have no problem with a "salute
to the past" however at Parker we have 30 heats/day
scheduled for Sat and Sunday so racing is going to
commence immediately after drivers meeting early both
days." I'm confident something is in the works and we'll see the F-59 at the April race.
Spread the word and get those old boats out of the garage! Check 'em over to make sure everything is safe, then come out and have a good time!
Kent Santos
SK-157 "Misbehavin'
Nostalgia Flat
GN-98 Race Team

MAXIMUS
03-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Let the Hydros run!!! Its a "nostalga" class... Maybe when there is enough boats to start spliting up catagories then they could do so!
But what do I know, I own a jet boat!:D

Stab-n-Steer
03-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Dave,
I was at the Thanksgiving race and what a joy it was to watch you drive that beautiful boat! You didn't just take it for a ride, you DROVE it! My dad and I use to travel all over the west coast in the late 60's and early 70's watching the hydros... You might remember us talking. During our conversation we discovered your friend use to own the Wickens crackerbox that we run today... The APBA has their heads up their asses most of the time. They ruined hydroplane racing on the west coast several years ago and now they are trying to ruin inboard flatbottom racing...
See you in April.
S&S

Dave Sammons
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by CircleJerk
Oh boy, Yes, boat guy is right, we have two lonesome 266 hydros up here running by themselves with all the spray and glory they once commanded in days of old! I have decided not to wait for more hydros to join them and have asked permission to run some of our oldest flats with them. So, starting at the Seattle race we will invite a 16 Rayson and Rayson Kids new Howard to run side by side with those awesome boats. We have full liability insurance up to two million and cover other expenses that no one else does! Our NBRA sanctioning body are a Hydroplane club and we would love to welcome you to our two opener races June 12-13 and 19-20 for the time of your life and all the fan fare and promotion that you should be entitled to! Dont think I am bragging but we have the greatest bunch of family orientated racer-friends with the biggest hearts, just ask our Master of Ceremonies: Harlan Orrin from Falbrook Calif. He will be our tech official and guest at both opening races. One last note, be prepared to start on a nostalgic circle clock that is a piece right out of 1970! Welcome, welcome, please send me your address for a video of our wonderful Nosty action. This also applies to anyone intending to make the long trip north to witness an actual 'Revival' of boat racing madness! YourRoyAljErK at your service!:)
I have heard nothing but great things about what is happening up North! I knew there were a couple hydro's runnin up there! Harlan has actually talked with the owner of the boat about dragging it up there for the 2 weekends. If that happens, I'll be buying a plane ticket and heading up, with my carry-on being a chute jacket and helmet!
PS Give me that starting clock and the outside lane and I'll try to show those boys how we did it in the olden days!

Dave Sammons
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Misbehavin'
Dave,
Like you mentioned, we had a blast running with the Hydro out there on Thanksgiving. One of the cooler parts about the Nostalgia deal is how excited the friends & family get about going to the races. The Berwick gang put a tremendous amount of work in that boat, and for me the highlight of the day was seeing the expressions on their faces after our heats.
According to Ross, "we need more boats that would be impetus enough on my part to go to "bat" with APBA to see how "legally" we could let them race. Also, I have no problem with a "salute
to the past" however at Parker we have 30 heats/day
scheduled for Sat and Sunday so racing is going to
commence immediately after drivers meeting early both
days." I'm confident something is in the works and we'll see the F-59 at the April race.
Spread the word and get those old boats out of the garage!
Check 'em over to make sure everything is safe, then come out and have a good time!
Kent Santos
SK-157 "Misbehavin'
Nostalgia Flat
GN-98 Race Team
Kent, sounds like you might be able to help make this thing happen! I'll run that boat with anybody, just to get out on the racecourse. Please let me know if you think there's a chance and what steps we need to take, so, we could run the thing! I'd hate to go over there and sit on the beach!

coolchange
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Speakin of old hydros, I know where there is an old Unlimited ( I think, on a tilt up trailer) and the guys got a couple of Merlins too.
I'll see if I can snag a pic.

RaysonKid
03-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave Sammons
PS Give me that starting clock and the outside lane and I'll try to show those boys how we did it in the olden days!
That sounds like a challenge.
;)

CircleJerk
03-30-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by RaysonKid
;)
Oh, do I dare touch this? No, but I just polished the 'Miss Miami' for the Auto Show. We had 6 inboards and 9 outboard hydros and for the most part were better looking than the inboards! Of interest was the Miami's actual movie footage running on a monitor right next to her! Also, Todd had found the original movie poster of 'Racing Fever', a 1964 Richard Grefe directed boat racing B rated film! We also installed a full size Garfield cat with helmet and driving gloves! For grins and giggles, we also added a fog machine in the floor boards pointing into the engine bay so the smoke would curl around the 283 mill and exit near the zoomies and the dashboard! It was so funny to view the expressions on the thousands who strolled by!! No one made a mad dash to an exit so that was good! On Sunday, the owner and his bride were caught staring at the huge club boat display with their boat in the center smoking madly!
The Miami is a heavy fiberglass hull as were the other 5 ConnCraft ones made for the movie but it runs hard with the little chevy and if he finds a 20 or 21 pitch prop similar to the original, he will be faster. Anyone have one? He even had contact with the stunt driver who lives in Florida. You can see pictures of this restored craft at www.vintagehydroplane.com and look for:new updates, then: updates 2003, then: Oct5 Banks Lake. Once there you can view Mr. Snarleys expert photos of it racing the 'High Lead' 266. Or go to the 'boats' section to view it under restoration. Dang, we may have a North-South race with hydros before a flat bottom ventures up! OH, be on the lookout for an article on us in 'Hot Boat'! StILLajErKbutSmilEy:)

Dave Sammons
03-30-2004, 02:45 PM
;)
No Challenge!! I just hope we can make it happen!! I used to love running on a countdown clock. I can't figure out why everyone got away from it. I think jockeying for position during the five minute gun was one of the most challenging parts of running a circle race. I'm glad to see it's alive and well in the PacNorWest!

RaysonKid
03-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Its fun to watch the dancing.
I notice working the launch area last year.
That lots of guys are straping stopwatches and everything else to the dash or on the wheel.
Has this always been the case??

FlatRat
03-30-2004, 07:25 PM
I know where there a Jones Hyrdo powered by a Chrysler 273ci.Needs restored,I don't know the history.One of these days, Alice.Hey Jerk,I've got the new floor in the Sanger Hydro.I'm getting closer.I just might have it done for the August date at Banks!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
03-30-2004, 09:00 PM
That lots of guys are straping stopwatches and everything else to the dash or on the wheel.
Has this always been the case??
YES! They usually velcro them on.

wsuwrhr
03-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by FlatRat
I know where there a Jones Hyrdo powered by a Chrysler 273ci.Needs restored,I don't know the history.One of these days, Alice.Hey Jerk,I've got the new floor in the Sanger Hydro.I'm getting closer.I just might have it done for the August date at Banks!
I used to have 2 273's laying around. Now I just have the cranks and rockers.
Brian

CircleJerk
03-30-2004, 11:31 PM
I am going to look at a 7 liter boat that is trailer launchable. It ran 209 in the kilo in 1976! Cant wait.:)

RaysonKid
03-31-2004, 07:21 AM
How many boats do you need?
Trying to get enough for a heat of your own?
Sure way to win......:D