PDA

View Full Version : Pre Loader Impeller

Taylorman
03-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Can I have my shaft machined for an inducer but not put the inducer in. Reason i ask is i have to pull my engine next weekend to change valve springs and fix an oil leak. I want to add an inducer impeller but im not ready to buy one yet. I would like to have the shaft machined while I have the engine out. Im just not sure if you can machine the shaft but not put the inducer impeller in.

canuck1
03-27-2004, 05:26 PM
yes

Jake W
03-27-2004, 07:03 PM
I second that yes.
Jake:D

Duane HTP
03-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Yes, you can, but I woundn't run it that way forever. There's not much shoulder surface left against the impeller when you do that and I've seen them work loose in time. I build a sleeve that can be put on the shaft where the inducer should be. Then when you decide to go ahead with the inducer impeller, just slip it off.

sdba069
03-27-2004, 07:32 PM
I agree with Duane, although I haven't had any problems with the impeller loosening up. Every pump we build these days, if there is any performance potential, I go ahead and machine the shaft for the inducer,even if not installing it at that time.. I chuck the shaft up in the lathe any way to check for runout and clean it up, so it's no big deal to go ahead and turn it down, then just a simple matter of setting it up on the mill and cutting a key way.

Taylorman
03-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
Yes, you can, but I woundn't run it that way forever. There's not much shoulder surface left against the impeller when you do that and I've seen them work loose in time. I build a sleeve that can be put on the shaft where the inducer should be. Then when you decide to go ahead with the inducer impeller, just slip it off.
Dwayne, what do you charge to do this. Im taking my engine out this weekend and plan to have this done.

Jet Hydro
03-29-2004, 08:16 AM
Here`s Duanes number at the shop. (316) 794 8616 It might be easier to call him. I`m sure he`s real busy today, it`s nice out fore once.:D

cyclone
03-29-2004, 11:04 AM
duane can you post a picture of a shaft that's been machined for the inducer for us? My boat's holeshot is terrible these days and i was considering buying an inducer and having my machinist friend take care of the setting the shaft for it. thanks!

TexasJet
03-29-2004, 12:09 PM
JetHydro, I hope he is real busy lake testing TexasJet's boat.:)

Jet Hydro
03-29-2004, 01:00 PM
well it`s raining again over here so it doesn't look good TexasJet.
The sun is now gone "again" :(

flat broke
03-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by cyclone
duane can you post a picture of a shaft that's been machined for the inducer for us? My boat's holeshot is terrible these days and i was considering buying an inducer and having my machinist friend take care of the setting the shaft for it. thanks!
If the machinist friend you are speaking of takes payment in 30 packs, boat washes, and weed pulling, he has already done one and as far as I know, it came out fine. :D
Chris

cyclone
03-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by flat broke
If the machinist friend you are speaking of takes payment in 30 packs, boat washes, and weed pulling, he has already done one and as far as I know, it came out fine. :D
Chris
check that...i think I now know two machinists that work for beer. :D

Duane HTP
03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Taylorman, check your pm.

sdba069
03-29-2004, 09:12 PM
It ain't rocket science...............

ChetCapoli
03-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Dwayne, what do you charge to do this. Im taking my engine out this weekend and plan to have this done.
Originally posted by Sdba069
It aint rocket science..............
Thats what i was thinking...taylor dont you have a regular machine shop/guy in your town you use?? Why do you think you need one anyways?? If i can recall you dont have alot of HP do ya?? Just another "gimmick" for the average lake boater if you ask me. If you have a good loader and the pump is tight your not going to notice it unless you have bigger HP in your future. Anyways, the inducer comes with directions on how to machine the shaft so any machine shop in your area can do it. You should look into the precision jet inducer, it's a one piece billet and is ALOT nicer than the DPS one. I have one in my boat. Cheaper to boot i might add..... precisionjetdrive.com.
CHET
P.S. Texas is closer to louisiana than kansas isnt it???? Should check prices with that SDBA guy...just might save some time and money. Dont take it from me but with 30yrs also, he just might be good.

Taylorman
03-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ChetCapoli
Thats what i was thinking...taylor dont you have a regular machine shop/guy in your town you use?? Why do you think you need one anyways?? If i can recall you dont have alot of HP do ya?? Just another "gimmick" for the average lake boater if you ask me. If you have a good loader and the pump is tight your not going to notice it unless you have bigger HP in your future. Anyways, the inducer comes with directions on how to machine the shaft so any machine shop in your area can do it. You should look into the precision jet inducer, it's a one piece billet and is ALOT nicer than the DPS one. I have one in my boat. Cheaper to boot i might add..... precisionjetdrive.com.
CHET
P.S. Texas is closer to louisiana than kansas isnt it???? Should check prices with that SDBA guy...just might save some time and money. Dont take it from me but with 30yrs also, he just might be good.
I do have a local guy that does some machine work for me. However, he does not get on these forums and answer questions and provide the support to the jet boaters like Dwayne does. Dwanye is a super nice guy and Im sure he enjoys answering questions over the phone and the forums for free, however, im sure he is doing a little networking for his business as well.
Im not only machining the shaft for the inducer, im also buying a new impeller and wear ring from him.
Maybe you should support him a little more since he is an aggressor dealer and since your the one always talking about aggressor. Im not one to get advice from someone and take my business to someone else that may be a couple dollars cheaper.
So are you saying that an inducer will not make any difference in my pump?

MarKist
03-30-2004, 06:06 PM
:D :D :D

TexasJet
03-30-2004, 06:30 PM
:) YESSSSS TAYLORMAN YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you know Duane is working on my boat, pump combination as we speak. You have no idea how hard he is working to squeeze out a couple extra MPH. I will post more in a few days but let me assure you, you can't go wrong dealing with Duane. If that's cheerleading so be it. Chet when this "inducer" of yours is in the pump what difference does it make if it looks ALOT better? Jest curious ya know.

HBjet
03-30-2004, 06:38 PM
Just another "gimmick" for the average lake boater if you ask me.
You should look into the precision jet inducer, it's a one piece billet and is ALOT nicer than the DPS one.
I have one in my boat.
yeah.... here is a nice Billet Gimmick Inducer from Precision
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/202BladeInducer.jpg
Is billet suppose to look like that when it breaks???? hmmm
HBjet

TexasJet
03-30-2004, 06:43 PM
HBJet, you have to admit it looked alot nicer before it broke, didn't it?:wink:

HBjet
03-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by TexasJet
HBJet, you have to admit it looked alot nicer before it broke, didn't it?:wink:
sure did.... but that's not mine.... someone elses...
HBjet

Rexone
03-30-2004, 06:56 PM
Randy did that thing suck a rock? or just break. I don't see much adjacent blade damage from a rock.

HBjet
03-30-2004, 07:00 PM
I'll have to ask again what happened.... I just remember that this inducer was one of those "Billet" ones... that's all. I'll find out for ya though.
HBjet

ChetCapoli
03-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by HBjet
I'll have to ask again what happened.... I just remember that this inducer was one of those "Billet" ones... that's all. I'll find out for ya though.
HBjet
Of course you have to ask again. I'm sure if it was out of the ordinary why it broke you'd remember. Sure looks like it hit something(or something hit it). Seems yours(DPS) ended up in somewhat the same manner didnt it?? Why not do everyone here in dramajetland here a favor and post yours and that one side by side and we'll get the whole story rather than what you want everyone to believe. That precision one is twice as nice as the DPS and its' cheaper to boot bottom line. For all i know that pic could be of a DPS one with the "majic" added to it. The DPS one looked like a raw casting to me.
Remember HB...700HP and that inducer still looks new. It sure in hell didnt cost $400 bucks either.
CHET

Taylorman
03-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey HB, whats up with your boat. Have not seen many updates on what your doing to it. How about some recent pictures. Everything these days is Cyclone Cyclone Cyclone.

Jet Hydro
03-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey Chet here`s a picture of mine :D
Guess what ???
That's the same one that Hi-Tech sales and so is that Orange ware ring you see in the picture.
They both have seen more air time than your boat has seen water time and I have a hell of a lot more HP than you.
3 season on the same pump build with a blown big block Chevy running over 15lbs of boost. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/208P1020124-med.JPG

HBjet
03-31-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Taylorman
Hey HB, whats up with your boat. Have not seen many updates on what your doing to it. How about some recent pictures. Everything these days is Cyclone Cyclone Cyclone.
Gotta let someone else have the spot light.... haha! J/K
No, boat is at MPD, should be all finished now. Just waiting on the rideplate. Other then fixing the pump, no other mods... and Cyclone will be kickin my ass all summer.... but I'll save money on gas though. Shish... don't tell Chet... he thinks I'm made out of money and that I don't like to save any!
Chet, I was told that inducer was sold to the customer as a billet one... that's all. Just found it interesting that they purchased it and look... doesn't look like one... no biggie... have fun proving nothing from nothing Chet!
HBjet