PDA

View Full Version : Buying a timing light

clownpuncher
03-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Haven't had to buy one for 20 years. Been looking the Craftsman timing "advance" light for about 70.00.
Then, I found the Snap-on timing light with the timing adcance feature, about 400.00. WTF is the difference for an occasional use?
Somebody in the know, PLEASE tell me that the 70.00 light is just as good as the 400.00 light

Infomaniac
03-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I use the Craftsman light.
The wires and clip are kind of cheap but the light is good.
I had a MAC for 10 + years before it started acting up. I use the wires from it with the Craftsman light.

Havasu Hangin'
03-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Do you have a MSD setup?

clownpuncher
03-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Do you have a MSD setup?
Yes.
I use the Craftsman light.
Well hell, I guess if it's good enough for you then it's more than good enough for me :D Thanks

Havasu Hangin'
03-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
Yes.
Be careful using a timing light with electronic advance w/MSD. I got one from Summit that bounced around. From MSD's site:
"Many lights have trouble reading the MSD's capacitive discharge multiple sparks. Dial back timing lights are not recommended. Try another non-adjustable light and check the timing again. MSD offers a Timing Light, PN 8990."
So...in summary...the cheaper one works better.

Blown 472
03-28-2004, 07:04 PM
I read an article about timing lights and they said the non adjustable craftsman was pretty much the best bang for the buck. Prett acurate also.

clownpuncher
03-28-2004, 07:07 PM
HH, I never heard of that. Trying to look at MSD's site now.
Blown, I'm sure the Craftsman is good. I was looking at getting the dialback feature too. Don't know if I NEED it, but I figure WTF.

Duane HTP
03-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Do not use the high dollar advance lights. They are NOT accurate enough to time a high performance engine. Timing set by those and checked on a dyno will be as far as 5 to 7 degrees off at 6000 rpm. The Sears will do a better job.

clownpuncher
03-28-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Duane HTP
Do not use the high dollar advance lights. They are NOT accurate enough to time a high performance engine. Timing set by those and checked on a dyno will be as far as 5 to 7 degrees off at 6000 rpm. The Sears will do a better job.
Thanks Duane. OFF 5 to 7 degrees? That could hurt.

1979tarva
03-28-2004, 07:58 PM
i use a light i got at checker for i think 70.00 with a tach and advance feature built in it works great even with the msd setup

LVjetboy
03-29-2004, 02:08 AM
Funny how these threads jump boards. I just bought the 8990 inductive (posted on rjb) and it times the same as the old sunpro inductive on an MSD ignition. Maybe a bit less jump at idle, could be my imagination tho, but the same steady at full advance. I do like the metal clamp compared to plastic crap.
Jump at idle. Multiple spark seems the best explaination so far. Triggering off a different spark each rotation? But if single spark by full advance who cares? Eyeball idle then set for full. My experience has been by full advance, induction shows steady even with my MSD ignition.
Dial back? I suppose that depends on how accurate the electronic dial back feature is. May be good...may be slightly off. I'd trust a marked dampener first.
jer

waterslinger
03-29-2004, 04:39 AM
I am with LVjetboy. The sears light works good for me.
TOTAL timing is what you are after any way.
I have a non-dial sun-pro and it is 1 deg. off from the sears unit.

Duane HTP
03-29-2004, 05:07 AM
LVJet is right about the degreed balancer. If you time one with the advance type light, then recheck it with a marked balancer and a single strobe light, you will see the difference at high rpm. and that's where it counts. I'm talking above 5000 rpm here. And that'swhere you run them.

Infomaniac
03-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Anyone check and adjust the timing on all 8?
Worth a few ponies.
Speed Secret: Did I say that out loud? :cool:

Chris J
03-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Anyone check and adjust the timing on all 8?
Worth a few ponies.
Yep, thats where crank triggers come into play.
A good distributor with a good timing chain will give good results. But If you've resized your main caps and aligned bored your block you can raise the crank in the block a few .001" which will add a little slack to the timing chain. (thats why they make .005" under chains).
Loose timing chain = loose timing
Oh ya, the Craftsman adjustable timing light works on my MSD and Holley systems.