PDA

View Full Version : Strange objects in the California desert...

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Sunday we were out running the Jeep near Ocotillo and we came across this thing.....some sort of marker I assume......no electrical connections on it. It was anchored with rebar to the ground.
Any ideas.....?????
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42March_17__2004_077-med.jpg

Stupid Fast
03-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Mabey an areial survey target? But it does not look like any I have ever seen.....

Jbb
03-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Solar refueling station ....For the Robots....I told you before....The Metal ones are Coming....!.....:D

hboldno7
03-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Thats a trip !! Were the clear parts plexy glass or some sort of screen? I would guess it is some sort of marker for aircraft. Is there an airforce base around there?

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 08:32 AM
The clear is really just a perforated mesh. There was a survey marker not too far away so that might be it. But who would bother with such a big thing like that?
Border Patrol had a temp roadblock set up about a mile away.....
(Insert eerie music here)........woooooooo...eeeeeeee oooooooo.
This tub and car door were about 3/4 of a mile away.......hard to believe that is really a bath tub.......well, WAS a bath tub.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/42March_17__2004_065-med.jpg

NastyOne
03-29-2004, 08:35 AM
Maybe its a sun dial.... or not.

Stupid Fast
03-29-2004, 08:43 AM
It could also be from some dude that thought...Lets put this in the desert, so people will go nuts wondering what the hell it is.........:D

GASHGAZER
03-29-2004, 08:51 AM
that looks like some kind of radar reflector, they may be doing high precision scans of the desert with a method called Lidar which is a remote sensing aerial survey that provides a whole lot more info than a standard photo. Since you say there were survey markers, that sounds good to me. I wish I could land one of these government surveys... big bucks for minimal work!!

BUSTI
03-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Because of its shape with so many right angles could it be a lazer type targeting deal. Where by the laser would bounce back. Is it located in an area that could have been used for military targeting or firing range?
with all the exmilitary guys on the boards ..have they ever seen anything like that?

HalletDave
03-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Strange objects in the California desert...
Rich,
It sure looks a lot like some of the RADAR reflectors we have out on some of the RADAR Fidelity and Geometric Ranges at Edwards.;)

RiverKitty
03-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Maybe it's the doorway to the secret government underground tunnels, eh?
Start digging!!! :D :p

Boatcop
03-29-2004, 10:53 AM
It's part of the system Border Patrol uses to monitor and detect illegals and/or drug runners crossing the desert.

Mandelon
03-29-2004, 10:57 AM
How duz it work? :confused:

ROZ
03-29-2004, 12:01 PM
It could be a time station like Will used in the land of the lost, but I don't see any crystals or sliestaks..
However...
More than likely it's part of the system Border Patrol uses to monitor and detect illegals and/or drug runners crossing the desert. :D

AdrenelineOD
03-29-2004, 12:05 PM
It`s a bathroom silly. Go back and use it

dr. margarita
03-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
Solar refueling station ....For the Robots....I told you before....The Metal ones are Coming....!.....:D
:D :D :D :D :D

Jbb
03-29-2004, 12:27 PM
http://www.moah.org/exhibits/archives/images/elektro_sparko2.gif

RiverToysJas
03-29-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by GASHGAZER
that looks like some kind of radar reflector, they may be doing high precision scans of the desert with a method called Lidar which is a remote sensing aerial survey that provides a whole lot more info than a standard photo. Since you say there were survey markers, that sounds good to me. I wish I could land one of these government surveys... big bucks for minimal work!!
This seems most likey. Sicne the desert is being constantly surveyed for movement due to earthquakes.
Lets go out and move it 3' a month!!! :D
RTJas :D

Hermosa
03-29-2004, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ROZ
[B]It could be a time station like Will used in the land of the lost, but I don't see any crystals or sliestaks..
No, the sliestacks are here in my office... I think. We just got two new chicks here, freaking ugly!

gigamurph
03-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
How duz it work? :confused: Oh sure! First he tells you; then you tell someone; then they tell someone; and so on; and so on......Next thing ya know, the roadrunner is our national bird, tacos replaces apple pie, and futbol is the new pasttime!:p :D

rivercrazy
03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Maybe someone should check with Cartman from SouthPark! :D

miller19j
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
That is a position reference beacon for an earth mapping Lidar system. They use a Laser based Lidar bore sighted with a standard Radar system to survey the changes in the earths surface. By using the two sensors covering different wavelengths they can very accurately measure the earth’s surface. I believe that their accuracy is somewhere on the order of ± .0002 inches but it is very difficult to quantify. The survey is being done under a grant from the NSA.
Oh by the way I have no idea what I am talking about but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Trash
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
How far away (north specifically) were you from Ocotillo?
That marker IS a radar reflector. But I'm not sure its associated with the ranges out there. There are two bombing/straffing ranges near that area within R-2510 (restricted area). Navy El Centro is only a 20-30 miles east. Those type of reflectors can be used for radar offsets.
Did you see any dark roads cutout in the desert, earth burms, or large concentric rings in the desert floor? If so you wandered off into the weapons range. I would avoid that area like the plague. :D
Are you sure you didn't cross any signs that said "Danger Keep Out, Govt. Property"?;)

hboldno7
03-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by miller19j
That is a position reference beacon for an earth mapping Lidar system. They use a Laser based Lidar bore sighted with a standard Radar system to survey the changes in the earths surface. By using the two sensors covering different wavelengths they can very accurately measure the earth’s surface. I believe that their accuracy is somewhere on the order of ± .0002 inches but it is very difficult to quantify. The survey is being done under a grant from the NSA.
Oh by the way I have no idea what I am talking about but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. :D
LMAO

Krazy K
03-29-2004, 02:41 PM
On to something else...
On 1 trip out to Parker, traveling on Rice Rd., I stopped to take a break and let dog out for a pee. Only about 20-30 feet from the road, I found numerous soda glass bottles; I'm guessing from the late 60's-early 70's. I can only imagine all the sh*t you can probably find along that road!!

hd&boatrider
03-29-2004, 02:47 PM
That was pretty funny Miller

manuel
03-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Sailboats use smaller versions of that design because they don't show up very well on radar and that makes them look bigger on screen, and I have seen them on marker buoy's also, maybe LF will give us a grant and we go buy a bunch of them and spell out ***boat across the desert ?
http://www.landfallnav.com/sd152.html

Dr. Eagle
03-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Definitely a Radar Reflector....
Why, I don't know......:confused:

manuel
03-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Maybe it's there to mark expected location of the NEW coastline after the rest falls in ? Did you see any fault lines nearby ?

mickeyfinn
03-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Obviously they are refocusing energy through the use of the pyramid design. Just look here (http://www.greatpyramidco.com/)
:D :D :confused: :confused:

harleypauls
03-29-2004, 04:56 PM
:D :D :D Miller, That has to be one of the funniest things I have seen on ***boat!!!! ROFLMFAO

jlnorthrup122
03-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Sunday we were out running the Jeep near Ocotillo and we came across this thing.....some sort of marker I assume......no electrical connections on it. It was anchored with rebar to the ground.
and someone on mars is woundering the same thing about the rovers!!:D :D :p
Its a marsian rover DUUHHHH!!!:p

LUVNLIFE
03-29-2004, 07:45 PM
I can't believe you guys don't know what that is:rolleyes: Since you don't already know I can't tell you because now I know you are not,,,,,, connected, You know;)

Debbolas
03-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Stupid Fast
It could also be from some dude that thought...Lets put this in the desert, so people will go nuts wondering what the hell it is.........:D
LMAO
too funny
:D

jlnorthrup122
03-29-2004, 08:08 PM
originally posted by RiverToysJas:
This seems most likey. Sicne the desert is being constantly surveyed for movement due to earthquakes.
ROTLMAO!!!! Huston we have a problem!!!! if it is a misle taget devise we should move it to rds doorstep now that would beat a kick to the junk nyday!

Just Tool'n
03-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Is this how Urban Legends get started?

Dr. Eagle
03-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Just Tool'n
Is this how Urban Legends get started?
Yeah, pretty much.........:D

Buff
03-30-2004, 12:05 AM
River Dave - that Time Rider movie was great. Guy comes zooming across the desert at night on some killer dirt bike with super bright lites and comes zipping into some cowboy camp scaring the hell out of everyone. That movie had a little bit of the Kirk Douglas movie The Final Countdown's feel to it - you know - the line - "Who are you guys?" Those cowboys and that senator were probably in the same time-shock as when one of us has a UFO light us up. buff

BobS
03-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Hey, leave it alone. I put it out there so I could be picked up by the mother ship.

manuel
03-30-2004, 05:36 AM
Put it on ebay, someone will buy it.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
03-30-2004, 07:05 AM
looks like a virgin target for drunk rednecks wandering thru the desert. I say shoot it up like the car door and the bathtub:D or tie onto it with them sand rails and have a tractor pull with it.
Omega

phebus
03-30-2004, 07:09 AM
That is a "Lavey" owner locator. You will start seeing them everywhere you go. :D

Trash
03-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Definitely a Radar Reflector....
Why, I don't know......
They can be used for radar offsets. If that reflector was within the R-2510 complex, that is its most likely use. If it's outside the complex, then someone else is using it for a radar reflector.