PDA

View Full Version : Back it Down

1Bahnerjet
03-29-2004, 09:02 AM
After 30yrs of just twisting around & looking at Trailer when Backing down ramp. Because of a sore muscle in Neck I now have to use side Mirrors. Yeah I can do it but SLOWLY (everything is reversed):rolleyes: But it got me to Thinking how People back there JET boats ? by Twistin' around & looking or Side Mirrors ? & which way they think is Faster or easier ?
( dang 1000's Posts )

Danhercules
03-29-2004, 09:12 AM
I always use the mirrors. I think its easyer. Tought my wife the same.

Jet Hydro
03-29-2004, 09:12 AM
I can do it either way, use to be a truck driver :D
The worst thing about backing my Hydro in is that it`s smaller than my truck and you cant see it either way...lol.... well at lest until it`s out of shape.
It`s faster if you can just twisting around and look at the Trailer when Backing...that is, if you can see it.

MudPumper
03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Using the mirrors is something that takes getting used to, but you'll get the hang of it. I usually use the mirrors and watch the fenders on the trailer, my boat sits low on the trailer and I can't see it unless I drop the tailgait in my truck.

HotHallet
03-29-2004, 09:32 AM
With a lifted truck I use the mirrors especialy when retrieving the boat!

Infomaniac
03-29-2004, 09:48 AM
I open the door, lean out and look back.

572Daytona
03-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
I open the door, lean out and look back.
I do the same...the biggest problem that I have is an empty jet ski trailer behind the suburban. I can't see any of it either out the back window or out the side and it is so short it jacknives very easily. I know I should probably put some flags on it or something but I usually get out and walk around back every so often and straighten it out by hand. Luckily I only do it once a year and usually on an off day so I don't piss off anyone waiting on me.

HighRoller
03-29-2004, 10:03 AM
If you can't see your trailer while backing down your mirrors are either too small or they aren't sticking out far enough. You should never have to look backwards if your mirrors are setup right. I watch the fender on either side to keep the trailer straight and I'm good to go. Of course I've probably driven more miles backwards than most have done forwards:D

superdave013
03-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
If you can't see your trailer while backing down your mirrors are either too small or they aren't sticking out far enough. You should never have to look backwards if your mirrors are setup right. I watch the fender on either side to keep the trailer straight and I'm good to go. Of course I've probably driven more miles backwards than most have done forwards:D
With my old one ton and flatbottom trailer you would have to put the mirrors out 4' to ever see the trailer. lol

572Daytona
03-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
With my old one ton and flatbottom trailer you would have to put the mirrors out 4' to ever see the trailer. lol
And it is worse with a single SeaDoo trailer, if I can see the fender in my mirror I'm in trouble because the trailer has jacknifed.

miller19j
03-29-2004, 10:30 AM
I use the mirrors when the camper is on the truck. But I look over my shoulder when it is not.

cyclone
03-29-2004, 11:30 AM
i use the combo move= mirrors plus over the shoulder now and again.

XClutchboy725
03-29-2004, 11:40 AM
I used to do the over-the-shoulder move. But now that I have the Excursion, I can't see anything back there! Now I use the mirrors.

victorfb
03-29-2004, 11:54 AM
95% of the time i launch the jet boat with a duelly. cant see the trailer at all. but i use the mirrors, (back doesnt twist any more after 5 vertabre fused, and 2 ten inch steel rods)) i used to drive a cement mixer so im used to the mirrors technique. one trick i heard (but dont use) is to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and whichever way you need the boat to turn you turn the wheel. opposite if your hands were at the top of the wheel. the girlfriend puts the tailgate down and does the twist and look over the shoulder, which is good because it keeps her limber. :D she's got the ramp deal down pretty good. we allways get compliments from the onlookers. atta girl baby!:)

skipr
03-29-2004, 03:33 PM
I always use mirrors, maybe that's because I'm blind in one eye and my neck doesn't turn far enough? When I learned how to drive my dad would not let me turn around when backing up a trailer, good teacher, if i look backwards I start going the wrong way.

mgar_red
03-29-2004, 07:01 PM
Dually p/u w/ Lincoln SA200 in bed = no lookback. Mirrors only. Can just get a peek at edge of trailer fenders to go straight.

HotRod Sprint
03-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by HighRoller
and I'm good to go. Of course I've probably driven more miles backwards than most have done forwards:D
Ditto on that comment Highroller. always, the mirrors. You know what really used to be fun, was when I drove a truck with a set of boxes, and would grab gears in the auxilliary backing up :D
Rod

1Bahnerjet
04-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Well looks like Most People use Mirror when Backing it Down, & like I said I can do it But Slowly. When I Twist Around and Look I can Back it So fast the Trailer Bounces, Guess I'll just have to Slow Down.

Havasu Hangin'
04-03-2004, 07:44 AM
I don't look out the back (can't see much with a Suburban).
I use the mirrors (because if I open the door, the AC doesn't work as well).

manuel
04-03-2004, 09:00 AM
I am always SO jealous when at the ramp some guy jumps in the boat and the wife/girlfriend backs him down and pulls away and parks, same deal when they pull up to the dock and she jumps out and brings the rig down to get him out, I don't think I will get serious with a woman unless she can handle a trailer ! my current friend can't even tell me how far away I am when hitching up or else she stands where I can't see her while she waves her arms around in some weird ritual I've never been able to understand what she's trying to tell me, so I have to keep getting out to see what is actually going on back there. 2 years and she's still no help, maybe I need to give up on blondes ?

1Bahnerjet
04-03-2004, 10:40 AM
My GirlFriend can't do it either, but since I can do the whole deal myself (always have) its a non-issue. My Daugther on the other hand can Back it Down must be the Jeans?

marvin siebert
04-03-2004, 02:08 PM
GO FOR THE ONE HAND AT BOTTOM OF STEERING WHELL I PUT MY HAND AT THE TOP AND REPEAT OVER AND OVER RIGHT TURNS TRAILER TO LEFT LEFT TURNS TRAILER TO RIGHT I HAVE A AVALANCHE CAN'T SEE SH---!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARV

HammerDown
04-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Mirrors are the only wayand easier.
Twisting/turning = rookie
(practice)...;)

JESSE
04-04-2004, 09:18 AM
I look back most of the time. my wife puts the taile gate down.
I think she dose it faster then i do she can even put the boat on
the trailer.

moneysucker
04-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Crew cab dually, If I can't see the trailer, Good. With the golf cart and/or fuel drums in the back I use mirrors. Steep ramps or for speed loading I will drop the tail gate and do the over the shoulder manuver. I don't trust any girl I have ever dated to back the truck down and especially put the boat on the trailer. I even had one that couldn't even do a good job of holding the boat until I got the truck. She gave her self a nice Bassett tattoo all the way across her back. Bitched the whole rest of the weekend. Jet hot it says hot in the name and I run them dry.

shaun
04-06-2004, 11:38 PM
It depends what angle i'm at really, i think i use a combination.

monkey rage frank
04-07-2004, 06:39 AM
I just usually pick the damn thing up and set it of the trailer. It's much faster. No really who cares? just don't hold up the line!!!!!!
I'm really tired of all the rookies screwing up, that what winter and parking lots are for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sleek-Jet
04-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Turn around and look = squat to pee. :D
Seriously though, my dad made me learn to back with mirrors, so it's easier for me.

HARDIN18
04-07-2004, 08:29 AM
I do what ever I have to to see the trailer. Over the shoulder first, If I can't see the trailer I use the mirrors then to opening the door and hangin out. If all else fails I will tell who ever is in the boat to guid me back with hand signals.

Bense468
04-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Mirrors

screamdreambrad
04-07-2004, 10:31 PM
mirrors for me, fed ex freight truck driver. thats all i do all day is back up :) brad