PDA

View Full Version : Elsinore Question? regulars/locals

76BARRON
03-30-2004, 09:18 AM
I went out for the R.W.Y.B. on sat and had a good time and was surprised at how nice(decent) the water quality was. I have avoided elsinore for years because of POOR water quality in the past (kinda like salton sea) My question is how long does the lake stay decent before it starts to turn nasty? I would asume it is when the water start's to warm up . june? july? what do you guy's think?

Ntwotrance
03-30-2004, 09:24 AM
During the warmer weather when the algae and bacteria have a warmer climate to grow in…

RiverToysJas
03-30-2004, 09:29 AM
You realize that you currently can't see your feet when the water is ankle deep, right???
RTJas :D

phebus
03-30-2004, 09:43 AM
The lake "blooms" around June.

Scream
03-30-2004, 09:45 AM
I was talking to a neighbor about taking my new baby to Smelsomore. He gave me a weird sideways look and said "Ya know, the last two times I went there, I got so sick that I didn't make it home in time..."
Mohave here I come...

76BARRON
03-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
You realize that you currently can't see your feet when the water is ankle deep, right???
RTJas :D
YES, because thats the only part that did not get sun burn't:D

Ntwotrance
03-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I did notice they had installed a new pump station near the cove, not sure what happened to the plans for a filtration system though...

Danhercules
03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Smellsomemore, is accually a very clean lake. Its green with alge, but not a lot of bactera. Parris is far worse, they dont have the alge, but the bactera is a lot worse. I would rather swim in Smellsomemore than Parris.
The Carp in the lake contribute to the alge groth. This winter they took out a shit load of carp. I think like 10 tons. They took it to the Imperial Vally to make ferdilizer. Teh carp sturr up the bottom or somthin like that and it hepls the alge grow.

BowTie Rick
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
That is true. Algae is unpleasant to look at but it is not bad for you (enless your a fish). Elsinore is actually one of the cleanest recreational use lakes in So. Cal.

victorfb
03-30-2004, 12:06 PM
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... you guys are giving out secrets..:p
that lake has a bad rep for a reason.

roostwear
03-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by BowTie Rick
That is true. Algae is unpleasant to look at but it is not bad for you (enless your a fish). Elsinore is actually one of the cleanest recreational use lakes in So. Cal.
You'd have a hard time proving that to me! A whole year at the river without a problem, and one hour on Elsinore, and that "water" ate the UV coating off my glasses!

BowTie Rick
03-30-2004, 12:16 PM
LOL :D That wasn't the water, it was the oil and gas floating on top of it :D

C-2
03-30-2004, 12:38 PM
There was a previous post about the water quality;
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41661
The lake is looking pretty good for this summer and the future in general since the lake will no longer be dependent upon runoff/rain.
I read the lake has such a high algae content due to the sediment layer on the bottom of the lake. Apparently Elsinore is one of the oldest natural catch basins in Cali and the sediment layer is estimated to be 20' deep. So no matter how much they try to "dredge" it, they've concluded it won't work and therefore they are focusing on combating the algae problem.
About 5 years ago a company was applying good ole' fashion saltwater/reef tank husbandry practices. In a reef aqauarium environemnt you break the algae cycle by eliminating phoshates. This company was doing the same thing...they were cruising around on two pontoon boats with these filters that were attached to the bottom. I remember the water was a lot clearer and there were no algae blooms that summer. But of course the grant money dried up and the project was shitcanned.
Perris doesn't have a sediment problem. So about twice per year they hit that lake with something called copper??? that kills the algae and you can literally see the bottom from depths of 25-30 feet deep. Freaky looking.

PlyaPlya22
03-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Scream
I was talking to a neighbor about taking my new baby to Smelsomore. He gave me a weird sideways look and said "Ya know, the last two times I went there, I got so sick that I didn't make it home in time..."
Mohave here I come...
I think he needs to close his mouth when in the water.:D :eek:

Danhercules
03-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Another reason smellsomemore got its name was from way back. The houses around the lake had septic systems, and when the lake overflowed, guess what happend. Yup, NASTY!!! Lake Smellsomemore. That was way back, its fine now.

repo man
03-30-2004, 02:23 PM
green or not it's the only lake around socal that has a high speed zone. shit during the week there is rarely even a patrol boat on the lake.

jackpunx
03-30-2004, 02:28 PM
I didn’t see one all weekend.. I love the speed zone.. But
I stepped on a bee this weekend while I was there.. I ended up either getting an allergic reaction to the sting. or there was some shit in the water that infected my foot.. But it swelled up like a mo fo.. I had to take anti biotic to fix it.. Its some dirty shit in there.. But I wish it was closer.. its nice to not have to worry about speeding.

76BARRON
03-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by repo man
green or not it's the only lake around socal that has a high speed zone. shit during the week there is rarely even a patrol boat on the lake.
I have been told they won't even begin to patrol untill somtime in may.

Jetdriver
03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jackpunx
I didn’t see one all weekend.. I love the speed zone.. But
I stepped on a bee this weekend while I was there.. I ended up either getting an allergic reaction to the sting. or there was some shit in the water that infected my foot.. But it swelled up like a mo fo.. I had to take anti biotic to fix it.. Its some dirty shit in there.. But I wish it was closer.. its nice to not have to worry about speeding.
Holy shit Mark! How did that feel? Next time let me drive the boat and you wont get all swollen like that!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
03-30-2004, 02:35 PM
One of the Elsinore cops is a member on here.
:D

jackpunx
03-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Holy shit Mark! How did that feel? Next time let me drive the boat and you wont get all swollen like that!
Any time shawn.. you didnt have to go through the song and dance.. :D