PDA

View Full Version : Drew Marine Ford Engine Anyone???

312stinger
03-30-2004, 06:09 PM
ANYONE RUNNING A DREW MARINE ENGINE, IF SO WHAT IS IT AND HOW DOES IT WORK.

fullwood
03-30-2004, 09:10 PM
you best have a big bank account and leave a blank check. I talked to drew himself at his house and he was knowledegable, he definately loves to toot his own horn. I think he is good at what he does but doesn't have time for anybody trying to save money or cut costs, a money's no object kindof guy!

LakesOnly
03-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Are you referring to the Ford 540 stroker made from all factory Ford parts? Supposedly good to as much as 700HP and 7500 rpm. Uses a stock 460 block and crank (bored and stroked) and Ford 240 six cylinder rods.
Drew offers lots of good info in the Hot Boat 540 Ford article that explains what makes the stock Ford stuff so damn strong.
Many people feel these days that with the plentiful supply of BBF stroker kits available today that the machining costs and effort for the 540 are trumped. Personally, I too applaud the new abundance of aftermarket BBF parts, but still find the 540 Ford very interesting engine in that it uses stock parts and has proven its ability to hold up in marine applications very well. In fact, I have some spare parts and may even build one...
Check it out:
http://www.geocities.com/styleline58/540ford.html
LO

03-31-2004, 11:46 PM
That Drew Marine article is rather dated, it was done in 1995. Since then there is plenty of good aftermarket parts available to do a combo that is better than the "Drew Marine" engine. The article states the 240 rods are made from some sort of exotic metal, bullshit!! All Ford rods are made from SAE 1060 mild steel, not some 4340 C/M steel as he would have you beleve. You can do the same exact engine with the same parts for about 1/3 the cost that the article says. Do the research before you spend your hard earned $$$$

fullwood
04-01-2004, 06:30 PM
i have heard that the rods were junk also, anything stock is of the utmost in exotic material ha ha!!! when i talked to other people that ran those engines they didn't hold up good at all the rods being the weak point of course just build one with a good i beam or h beam rod and it will probably last better

312stinger
04-01-2004, 07:52 PM
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH DREW MARINE. ENGINES, SHOTGUN SILENCERS ANYTHING??
I HEAR HE IS "THE MAN" AS FAR AS FORD ENGINES IN BOATS AND AS FAR AS PRICE I GUESS YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !! COMENTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

fullwood
04-01-2004, 09:29 PM
what exactly do you want to know? he told me alot of stories i don't know if any are true or lies, but he has a nice shop, and alot of pictures of what he has done hanging around. i'am a younger guy and just got the feeling like he was giving me charity by just talking to me because he is "DREW BACKLUND", and he also acted like because i was young i must not have any money! So you can see that a few things went down that kindof pissed me off, but i;am sure he will do you a fine job!!

fullwood
04-01-2004, 09:30 PM
another thing look up his number in the phone book and give him a call you can get those shotgun silencers cheap from drew himself, if he is desperate to sell!!!!

312stinger
04-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks fullwood for the reply, I'm having some motors built by him and just curious as to anything about him or his operation. I would like to see pictures of his shop. You guys are right he is pretty proud of his accomplishments in life! A big thanks to all who have replied, much appreciated!:)

waterslinger
04-08-2004, 03:53 AM
I got a set of A-460 heads from him. For the guys here who do not speak ford that is a High port race head. Put down $1700
for the heads and valves. "dyno time only, just need springs and retainers" was the story I got. After my engine guy got the heads
the valve guides were wore out. $400 more clams for guides.
Just my $.02.
My engine guy can get killer deals on stroker kits Ford or brand X.
Brent Frazier Racing Engines (904) 298-2447. Please tell him dave
sent you for the good deal.
pic of his port work

waterslinger
04-08-2004, 03:54 AM
sorry this is the ex port