PDA

View Full Version : why mount carbs sideways on a tunnel ram??????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
I just picked up a tunnel ram with the carbs mounted sideways. My question is why do they do this? I have seen alot of people do this. Is it better than running them inline? I'm just curious.

Jordy
03-30-2004, 07:45 PM
I'd say the obvious would be the room required to run duals. By running sideways you can get the carbs closer together without the extra room required for the fuel bowls, and that's without leaving room to pull them off without pulling at least one of the carbs first.
I'm sure there are some advantages and disadvantages performance wise as well as that ass hander sleeper looking hallett was running a single carbed DNE engine with the single carb running sideways (at least that's what I think I saw). :D

Fiat48
03-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Probably cause most of them don't fit end to end. 660's do and so do 6109 750's. Nicer to have just a straight piece of linkage instead of all that side linkage. Nicer yet to have injection. :D

77charger
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
jetting is one factor you dont have to remove a carb to get to the main jets

LakesOnly
03-30-2004, 09:06 PM
If you must run your carbs rotated 90, then go for the 1:1 primary/secondary throttle linkage carbs a la 660's. Otherwise, puttin' around on the primary side of the carbs may favor a cylinder bank a bit...and make for a tuning headache. 4-corner idle would also be nice when roatated 90.
LO

hack job
03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
it cuts down on float blow slosh ( with the proper floats) and in my case with 4779's on top of a weiand hi ram tunnel ram thats the only way they will fit.;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-30-2004, 10:13 PM
They have 4 corner idling adjusting. I dont know what size they are yet but I will find out tomorrow. i think they are 750's(dp)

Danhercules
03-31-2004, 08:38 AM
I know I have duel 750's (hence the name "Passin Gas")and they are hollys but not what kind. I have a tunnel ram, again dont know what kind. (I think Lakes knows). They are in line on my boat. I can pull the floats off with a stubby screw driver. I dont know if I am just special (thats what the lady driving the short bus told me), or if there is somthin diffrent on my boat.
Just tryin to learn.
Dan (ridin with his hockey helmet) hercules

Blown 472
03-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Fuel control, think about this you get on it the nose of the boat goes up the carbs primary bowl float drops and you get flooding, the secondary float goes up and you lean it out cuz it is shut, I had that set up on my boat and it made a mess and try to tune at the launch ramp and fuel just pouring into the motor. The v drive guys also use the moroso circle track floats in the sideways carb dealio.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2767&prmenbr=361
I am going to try these in my car also.

Chris J
03-31-2004, 12:20 PM
The big advantage is access to the jets and the abilty to run 4150 & 4160 series carbs. Think of it this way. If there was a performace advantage you would see single fours mounted 90 degrees too. If you can run them in line and don't plan on making a lot of jet changes. I would run them inline. I've see the mouse trap linkage bind or lock up more than once.
Years ago the orginal Victor intake mounted the carbs at about a 25 degree angle to have equall length runners. This theory has since gone to the way side as old technology.

Chris J
03-31-2004, 12:30 PM
Oh ya, if you're having problems with flooding while at the ramp adjust your floats. I've run carbs on off road 4X4s climbing hills that were a lot steaper than any boat ramp. The plowed field and swamps were preatty rough too.:D