PDA

View Full Version : Got Alcohol?

blown540flattie
07-19-2002, 11:16 PM
I need a little help. I am have been building a blown bbc motor. I have a couple of questions on the spark and injection setup. Here are the specs on the engine, bbc 540, 11.5-1, 14/71, bird hat w/port setup and msd mag. The motor hasn't been assembled completely yet. What is the pully ratio, timing, spark plug and gap that I should start with. I am a little new to this and i nedd a base line to start from. Thanks for any input!

Fiat48
07-28-2002, 05:32 PM
I'll try to help but need more info. When you say pulley ratio..I assume you mean drive ratio for the blower. I am going to assume this is a "lake boat". A 14 is so big and pumps so much air that I would think 1 to 1 (or straight up) drive would be plenty for you. Timing is 34 degrees no matter what you run. Locked out distributor (no advance) is best. Less than 34 degrees causes exhaust temperature to rise at a rapid rate. More than 34 you run risk of hurting parts. I am speaking from experience here. :o
Sparks plug gap depends on ignition system. Magneto's like .018 to .020 gap due to weak spark at cranking speeds. But I have never run the MSD so somebody else may know. I hear they are very powerfull so you may be able to run wider gaps than Mallory or Vertex mags.

HighRoller
07-31-2002, 12:00 AM
This may sound like a stupid question,but is that 11.5-1 the static compression ratio?If so,and your turning a 14-71 blower you might want to consult a professional engine builder on the boost and injector setup.I'm no expert but you might end up with 14 or 15-1 final comp ratio and that is no picnic especially on a mechanically injected engine.VERY tempermental.Is this going in a pleasure boat???

Fiat48
08-06-2002, 09:54 PM
Don't know if this will help in your expectations of performance but here it goes. I just returned from a first race with my Cole 5/8" runner bottom Blown alcohol Flatbottom. Engine specs: 475 cubic inches, 12.5 static compression, Brodix heads decently ported, decent but not perfect 6/71 blower, Birdcatcher hat, 80A pump,34 degrees timing, Mallory super mag III. 32 gears and 11 X 16 menkins prop. Heavy weight boat. Best was 125 mph with an 8.50 e.t. with the blower driven at 2% over, 58 nozzle and a 75 main jet and no high speed. Still much tuning to do but capable of 128 to 130 I would say and 8.0's or high 7's.

Dimarco Kid
08-11-2002, 06:42 PM
Fiat, I assume no trans in your boat, right? That thing runs hard!
D Kid

Fiat48
08-16-2002, 05:18 PM
She will run harder next time. Sponsor stepped up to the plate and said "Get the best block, crank and dry sump system money can buy and I will pay for it." Soooo....Dart Big M splayed cap 4.500 bore..Lunati Blower crank and here comes 509 inches. Hope to be complete by Dexter race.

Snowboat
08-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Fiat48. I have a couple of questions. You say 34 degrees no matter what. I thought if I ran at 28 I would have more low end torque and be a little less worried about detonation. I have been using AR 13 plugs, figuring that the electrode would start to deteriorate in the case of suprise detonation, and cause it to miss and save the engine. I had been gapping them at 032". I have a Don Zig mag, locked out. If I tighten the gap and increase timing will it still start like it does when its at 028" with 032" plugs? 460 Chevy, Bowtie heads, 6/71 10% over, 14 max boost, solid roller, 680 and 698 lift. Its on a medium weight 18' Biesemeyer flattie. Thanks for any advice.

Snowboat
08-17-2002, 04:00 PM
I was surfing the Hunt Magneto site and they recommend .015" to .020". You are right again. Still would appreciate an answer on the timing. I'll tighten up my plug gap and I bet it'll start great. It started OK before, but I wasn't really happy.

GofastRacer
08-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Fiat48:
Don't know if this will help in your expectations of performance but here it goes. I just returned from a first race with my Cole 5/8" runner bottom Blown alcohol Flatbottom. Engine specs: 475 cubic inches, 12.5 static compression, Brodix heads decently ported, decent but not perfect 6/71 blower, Birdcatcher hat, 80A pump,34 degrees timing, Mallory super mag III. 32 gears and 11 X 16 menkins prop. Heavy weight boat. Best was 125 mph with an 8.50 e.t. with the blower driven at 2% over, 58 nozzle and a 75 main jet and no high speed. Still much tuning to do but capable of 128 to 130 I would say and 8.0's or high 7's.You're there!!, time to hook up the "high speed"!!... wink

GofastRacer
08-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Fiat48:
She will run harder next time. Sponsor stepped up to the plate and said "Get the best block, crank and dry sump system money can buy and I will pay for it." Soooo....Dart Big M splayed cap 4.500 bore..Lunati Blower crank and here comes 509 inches. Hope to be complete by Dexter race.You lucky SOB!!!...... http://www.plauder-smilies.com/happy/xyxthumbs.gif http://www.plauder-smilies.com/happy/xyxthumbs.gif

Fiat48
08-18-2002, 09:05 PM
Snowboat:
The reason I say 34 degrees is because less timign than this makes tremendous heat on the exhaust valves. 34 degrees is not a lot of timing.
You do need to run the best fuel you can, but we are currently running a 541 inch blown Daycruiser with 34 timing and premium pump gas. I have had the motor apart and no signs of any detonation.
Mag: I think the Zig mags are all like a vertex. If so..you need to gap the plugs .018 to .020. If your compression ratio is about 8 to 1, then you should have no problems starting with 34 locked out. If you do, then have some advance weights put in the mag with such a light tenison spring setup that they will full advance when the motor starts. We used to do this in the pro gas stuff when we ran 15.5 to one compression and had starting problems with a locked mag.
Plugs: Yes..always run a hot plug with a blown gasser so that the tip will melt or show detonation. I prefer NGK as the cad plating on the plug burns off around 1200 degrees..thus giving you a easier way to read the plug.

Fiat48
08-18-2002, 09:12 PM
GoFastRacer:
Yes I consider myself very lucky! I built a customer a Blown 540 for a daycruiser and he attended the Phoenix Opener with me while I was tuning a boat for another customer. Next thing you know, he buys a nice little Cole Flat and gives it to me. Say's "Put one of your motors in it and let's go racing." He's a one of a kind guy. Calls me evey week and wants to know when we can go race again!

Snowboat
08-19-2002, 05:47 AM
Thanks, Fiat48. I gapped the pugs at .019' yesterday but it was way too windy. Probably tomorrow I'll go and see how well she starts and then go to 34' and try again. I'll let you know how it works.