PDA

View Full Version : Someone's new scoop tray

BUSBY
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Well Mike (cyclone) came by to weld some scoop tray brackets ... and we kind of changed his mind ... with his killer carbon fiber carb adapter ... we had to make something a little cooler ... this is what we came up with ... you gotta love laser cutting & CAD ...
Here is the 16 gauge Stainless sheet laser cut:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_008.jpg
Bending the uprights:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_011.jpg
Using the press and dimple dies to make the lightening holes stronger:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_013.jpg
Fitting the Carbon Fiber adapter:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_018.jpg
Here it is without the adapter:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_019.jpg
And final product before powder coating:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_024.jpg
Another shot:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2358scoop_tray_027.jpg
There you go Mike ... can't wait until the rest is done and we can see the engine done!

Taylorman
03-30-2006, 12:42 PM
If the bottom of the scoop is Carbon, whats the alum tray you made for? Nice work by the way.

1978 Rogers
03-30-2006, 01:27 PM
My guess is support. :rolleyes:

BUSBY
03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
If the bottom of the scoop is Carbon, whats the alum tray you made for? Nice work by the way.
That was the carb adaptor ... to go up to the scoop w/ a nice smooth flow angle ... we made the tray for support of the actual scoop around the carbon fiber adaptor. The scoop will fit around the top of the tray and adaptor. Pics to come later.
And thanks.

Konabud
03-30-2006, 05:30 PM
... you gotta love laser cutting & CAD ...
Man! Whats up with that! You coulda done booby girls or something....... :D

DEL51
03-30-2006, 06:44 PM
That was the carb adaptor ... to go up to the scoop w/ a nice smooth flow angle ... we made the tray for support of the actual scoop around the carbon fiber adaptor. The scoop will fit around the top of the tray and adaptor. Pics to come later.
And thanks.
Are the holes used for strengthening? I read somewhere that having the holes increases surface area and actually makes things stronger. Also, the holes have a tapered angle. Am I full of crap on this? Maybe it is for making it weigh less? It is cool. I also have a question regarding the ram air. Will they use some type of filter or arrestor? I may be getting ahead of you, sorry. Keep up the great work! Thanks,DEL

Cs19
03-30-2006, 06:47 PM
heavy duty.. :)

BUSBY
03-30-2006, 07:21 PM
heavy duty.. :)
yeah yeah yeah ... I know
I like the stainless ... but Mike's all about getting it in aluminum now, say's it'll be about 1/2 the weight ... but IMO ... he'ls only gonna save about 4 - 5 lbs ... I like the strength fo the stainless.
Del,
Yes the holes are for lightening, yes they have 45* tapers to make them stronger. It's for drag racing ... so I don't think he'll use an arrestor or filter.

NELSON#109
03-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Yeeeeee Haaaaa Boy. Make Me Some Naked Ladies For My Mud Flaps.... All Bent Over With Them Big Old Breasticles.... Go Back To Work Dork. Beat It.... Nelson#109

77charger
03-30-2006, 07:59 PM
we can tell you how carbon fiber holds up to nitrous on my old boat!! and alm trays too :crossx: :crossx: .Luckily the motor held up very good and went 8.44 at 122 on next pass without a scoop :boxed: Not bad for a 4 seater flat :)

HBjet
03-30-2006, 08:11 PM
How does that mount to the carb or motor to keep the tray/scoop on and straight?
HBjet

RCB19
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
How does that mount to the carb or motor to keep the tray/scoop on and straight?
HBjet
Looks like he has a CSR scoop tray mount plate that sandwiches between the carb and manifold.

HBjet
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Ah, I should have looked closer...
Hey Cyclone, I think we have a new name for the boat... "Swiss Cheese"

Cs19
03-31-2006, 07:03 AM
That scoop tray belongs in the baja 1000.
Dimple died stainless parts on a dragboat,thats a new one.
As long as the mini truck stuff stays off the boat, everything will be cool.
haha

superdave013
03-31-2006, 07:05 AM
yeah yeah yeah ... I know
I like the stainless ... but Mike's all about getting it in aluminum now, say's it'll be about 1/2 the weight ... but IMO ... he'ls only gonna save about 4 - 5 lbs ... I like the strength fo the stainless.
Del,
Yes the holes are for lightening, yes they have 45* tapers to make them stronger. It's for drag racing ... so I don't think he'll use an arrestor or filter.
a 4 pound weight savings on just one part is HUGE. I don't blame Mike for that one. Nice looking part though.

beerjet
03-31-2006, 07:33 AM
chine it up real good , polished stainless would absolutly devistating. Mike , that part looks absolutly ill . Straight up bad ass.

cyclone
03-31-2006, 03:08 PM
the "baja 1000" edition prototype scoop mount is a sturdy beast! she needs to go on a diet though. either or aluminum or thinner gauge stainless will be used on the actual part.
thanks for the help Busby!

BUSBY
03-31-2006, 04:36 PM
haha
yeah ... but I still think it looks cool ...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2358misc_013.jpg

BUSBY
03-31-2006, 04:37 PM
the "baja 1000" edition prototype scoop mount is a sturdy beast! she needs to go on a diet though. either or aluminum or thinner gauge stainless will be used on the actual part.
thanks for the help Busby!
no prob Mike ...

Bobbo541
03-31-2006, 05:47 PM
You might as well showoff the carbon fiber the scoop should be made carbon fiber also. Looks good.

HBjet
03-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I can't help from this image popping into my mind when I see these photos...
http://www.rosemarycompany.com/media/AGrateLoveCheeseGraterFavorUnpackaged.jpg
HBjet :rollside:

jet4fun
03-31-2006, 09:48 PM
awww how cute

Konabud
04-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Yeeeeee Haaaaa Boy. Make Me Some Naked Ladies For My Mud Flaps.... All Bent Over With Them Big Old Breasticles.... Go Back To Work Dork. Beat It.... Nelson#109
What's your problem! :yuk: I'm a contract CNC programmer (which means I'm good enough to make a living doing it) so I think I know what can or can't be done with CAD and CNC. Maybe it might not be so offensive to a dork like you if I said he should have put the last supper on it. Oh by the way nice job guys and I think I will go back to work (that 30 foot commute is a killer).. got 200, 787 parts to program. :D :D

BUSBY
04-01-2006, 07:36 AM
What's your problem! :yuk: I'm a contract CNC programmer (which means I'm good enough to make a living doing it) so I think I know what can or can't be done with CAD and CNC. Maybe it might not be so offensive to a dork like you if I said he sould have put the last supper on it. Oh by the way nice job guys and I think I will go back to work (that 30 foot commute is a killer).. got 200, 787 parts to program. :D :D
Good Morning Kona ...
don't worry about Nelson ... he's just playin' w/ us ... he's one of our drinkin buddy's ... he wasn't talkin sh*t ...
Randy, the cheese grater was pretty funny ... good job ...
I still like the race look of Mike's tray ...
Bob, as soon as Mike brings the actual scoop over, I'll post it up.

Konabud
04-01-2006, 09:15 AM
Thanks Busby, I'm just a little testy before my third cup of coffee. Just got all the parts for my pressure system (another thread) and will be installing it today. Thanks for the input on that! If I can ever help with any projects just give me a hollar. I have a lot of experience making parts.
Creg

steelcomp
04-01-2006, 02:59 PM
haha
LOL.
You guys are going to need more flotation. :rolleyes:

NELSON#109
04-01-2006, 05:17 PM
What's your problem! :yuk: I'm a contract CNC programmer (which means I'm good enough to make a living doing it) so I think I know what can or can't be done with CAD and CNC. Maybe it might not be so offensive to a dork like you if I said he should have put the last supper on it. Oh by the way nice job guys and I think I will go back to work (that 30 foot commute is a killer).. got 200, 787 parts to program. :D :D
EASY THERE KILLER. MY POST HAD ABSALUTLY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU OR YOURS. WAS JUST A LITTLE JOKE FOR THE BOYS. A BIT INSIDE I SUPOSE. I DRIVE TRUCKS AND OPPORATE CRANES, THE KIND WITH MUD FLAPS. AND YES I WOULD THROW A NAKED LADIE ON ONE OF MY TRUCKS AS A JOKE, SO CUT ME OUT A PREGO ONE. BTW, I THINK THE LAST SUPPER WOULD HAVE BEEN A FUNNY REQUEST. JESUS ONCE SAID, "OW MY HANDS". NELSON#109

RCB19
04-01-2006, 07:25 PM
What's up Nells?

NELSON#109
04-02-2006, 11:44 AM
What's up Nells?
NOT MUCH BRO, WORK IS STARTIN TO GET CRAZY AGAIN. BACK TO THE 18 TO 20+ HR DAYS. IT'S GONNA BE A BUSSY SUMMER WORK WISE FOR ME, BUT HOPEFULLY WE'LL HOOK UP FOR SOME GOOD RIVER PARTYS. I WAS HOPIN I'D SEE YOU AT THE LAST RACE. WE WERE TEARIN B TOWN UP PRETTY GOOD. WE ALL NEED TO GET TOGATHER SOON. ILL COME DOWN ONE OF THESE WEEKENDS IF YOU GUYS SET SOMTHIN UP. WONT BE RACIN TILL LATE IN THE SEASON. BEEN SPENDING TONS OF CASH ON MY HOUSE. I HAVE TO SAVE UP SOME $$$$ AND GET WITH DAVE (DNE) BEFORE I WILL RUN IT AGAIN. AS SOON AS I CAN SPARE THE CASH, DAVE'S GONNA GET ME ALL SQUARED AWAY. TALK TO YOU LATER. NELSON#109

MudPumper
04-02-2006, 04:22 PM
haha
I think the Dimple died stainless will sort of match the Dimpled Ride Plate....Should look pretty good. :D

steelcomp
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
I think the Dimple died stainless will sort of match the Dimpled Ride Plate....Should look pretty good. :D
Next on the list is a stainless center console (with dimpled lightning holes, of course) and a billet shifter. Maybe some racing high back buckets???

Squirtin Thunder
04-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Next on the list is a stainless center console (with dimpled lightning holes, of course) and a billet shifter. Maybe some racing high back buckets???
None of this will be right without the addition of a Tin can river racing tunnel.

cyclone
04-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey now i draw the line at the high back buckets!
But you should see the trick billet mount i made for my Rex Marine billet aluminum paddle. straight up mini truck stylin! :crossx:

MudPumper
04-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Hey now i draw the line at the high back buckets!
But you should see the trick billet mount i made for my Rex Marine billet aluminum paddle. straight up mini truck stylin! :crossx:
Straight up mini struck would be if you mounted a chrome fire extinguisher somewhere on the A pillar. Too bad boats dont have an A pillar. LOL :rollside:

cyclone
04-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Straight up mini struck would be if you mounted a chrome fire extinguisher somewhere on the A pillar. Too bad boats dont have an A pillar. LOL :rollside:
lmfao! i'll do ya one better: ronal r-9 wheels on the trailer, heart beat graphics, mercedes wool carpet and a full tweed interior. that would be pure mini truckin' hilarity.
how the hell you doin? :)

MudPumper
04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
lmfao! i'll do ya one better: ronal r-9 wheels on the trailer, heart beat graphics, mercedes wool carpet and a full tweed interior. that would be pure mini truckin' hilarity.
how the hell you doin? :)
I'm great, been busy as hell with work but everything should slow down by next month which will leave me with plenty-o-time for the river. Can't wait for it to warm up a bit. We're itchin to start makin some trips and hang out with everybody.