PDA

View Full Version : ignition headache

327,jet
03-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Last summer my jet boat died on the lake what a bummer . I believe it was the ignition coil , so I replaced it . It has a electronic ignition conversion box that is old . I am thinking of replacing it with a new Petronics unit .I'm on a budget and would apprciate any input.

victorfb
03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
i use the petronix on my 455 olds (tahiti 18' jet) and it has never givin me a problem after 8 years. i also use them in my VW powered buggy. and again, no problems over 10 years of use. they work great. and you can put alot of voltage to them with a high output coil. water, sand, oil, etc. nothing seems to phaze em. id recomend it. good luck.

327,jet
04-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks for replying victorfb, I really enjoy hearing from other boaters. I,ve heard from a few guys those 455 olds engines can really throw down the torque. How fast does the tahitti go these days.

Rexone
04-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I've heard good things about Pertronix but have never used one.
On the budget subject, a good Mallory dual point distributor with a good coil will perform just as well as the high buck electronic systems in the rpm range the 455 olds operates in. You will see no difference in performance. When you get above the 5500 rpm mark is where the difference begins to occur. The only exception to that is a multi spark CD system like the MSD will run cleaner on the low end. But with a stock 455 that should not be a problem anyway.