PDA

View Full Version : OnStar helps police nab FBI fugitive...

ROZ
03-31-2004, 12:39 PM
March 31, 2004 -- Troy, Mich. -- What started as a typical call from an OnStar subscriber to report a stolen vehicle ended with the capture of one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives.
The case, involving Terrence K. Washington, was featured on the March 27 episode of "America's Most Wanted." The show also highlighted OnStar's role in Washington's capture.
On March 7, OnStar subscriber Raiford Brown woke to find his 2004 Hummer H2 missing from the driveway of his home in Brentwood, Tenn., a suburb of Nashville. Brown called the Williamson County Sheriff's Department to report the theft. After filing a police report, the sheriff's department called OnStar to assist in the recovery of the vehicle.
OnStar Advisor Lewis Baldwin answered the stolen vehicle call and after retrieving the necessary information from the subscriber and the police report, he began efforts to locate the Hummer H2. Within minutes, the advisor pinpointed the whereabouts of the vehicle, which had crossed the state line into Sharonville, Ohio.
With Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) and wireless cellular technologies, OnStar can assist the police by locating a vehicle even if it's moving. The advisor provided the sheriff's department with continuous updates as he monitored the movements of the stolen Hummer. The information was relayed to the local authorities in the jurisdiction in which the vehicle was located.
The Hummer H2 was located in Sharonville, Ohio, and local authorities apprehended the suspect. It wasn't until the suspect was in custody that police learned his true identity. Fingerprint information submitted to the FBI revealed that the suspect was in fact an escaped felon. Washington, who had originally given the arresting officers an alias, was awaiting trial on federal bank robbery charges when he escaped from a Louisiana jail in July 2003. He had been a fugitive ever since.
Ironically, the FOX crime-solving television show "America's Most Wanted" featured Washington the day before his arrest on March 7. With OnStar's help Sharonville police were able to nab the felon wanted on eight federal warrants.
OnStar responds to about 800 stolen vehicle location requests each month. Stolen vehicle location is just one of more than a dozen services available to the more than 2.5 million OnStar subscribers on the road today. The service is available on more than 50 models from General Motors including Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab and Saturn, and select models from Acura, Audi, Isuzu, Subaru, Volkswagen and Lexus (branded LexusLink).

MagicMtnDan
03-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Yeah OnStar's good but wait til the free first year ends and then see what they want to charge you for it. It ain't worth it. It'd be nice to be able to use the cell phone service but that cranks up their monthly charge even higher.
It's another example of a greedy company not willing to lower their price to increase their subscriber count. Apparently OnStar would rather have fewer people paying higher prices.
I wonder if OnStar can locate my vehicle for the police if it got stolen even though I ain't paying for the service?

ROZ
03-31-2004, 01:18 PM
mybe not, but I think onstar will work for 911 situations...

dimarcobros
03-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
mybe not, but I think onstar will work for 911 situations...
That is why I kept it after my first year was up. I figured with all the trips to the river on rice road and all the accidents that happen it is worth the couple hundred. That way they can pin point exactely where you are so they can get there faster and not tell them "4th catus past the tracks." :D Besides, I have locked my keys in my car many times and now all I do is call them and they pop the doors. Takes about 10 minutes and i am on my way.
DMB

fourspeednup
03-31-2004, 01:37 PM
What a retard, this guy stole a 2004 H2 and thought he'd "sneak" away? C'mon, I could see stealing one and immediately selling it or sending down to Mexico or whatever car thieves do now-days:rolleyes:
If I was this dude, I'd roll a mid 90's, beige camry......nobody gonna notice that thing!:D

Her454
03-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Call me sentimental but those OnStar commercials make me misty eyed sometimes as they're so dramatic and mostly involve kids being helped, rescued etc.
Hell of a marketing ploy.

welk2party
03-31-2004, 03:27 PM
My only experience with OnStar was running out of gas in Blythe while pulling the boat. The OnStar operator could not figure out where I was. It was faster to have the people behind me drive further to a gas station and come back. By that time, they still were not sure where I was. I even could give them mile markers.

LaveyJet
03-31-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Yeah OnStar's good but wait til the free first year ends and then see what they want to charge you for it. It ain't worth it. It'd be nice to be able to use the cell phone service but that cranks up their monthly charge even higher.
It's another example of a greedy company not willing to lower their price to increase their subscriber count. Apparently OnStar would rather have fewer people paying higher prices.
I wonder if OnStar can locate my vehicle for the police if it got stolen even though I ain't paying for the service?
Any insurance discounts if you have OnStar?

Havasu Cig
04-01-2004, 10:05 AM
We have used On-Star in both our current vehicle and the Suburban we used to have.
They unlocked our doors for us once when we locked the keys inside which was cool.
If you use them for directions in my experience it sucks. You get someone from another state that will sometimes give you wrong directions.
We used it once for a medical emergency, and they automatically dispatched law enforcement and medical aid to our location which was good.
We ended up just keeping the safety and security package after the first year was up on the Suburban because we really did not use the other features.
Some goods and some bads IMO.