PDA

View Full Version : Pump, Ignition, or Headers?

455Olds
03-31-2004, 01:52 PM
I'm on a tight budget, but need more go. I have a 455 olds with a twin 600 Holley set-up. Still running a stock coil and point distributor. Standard square aluminum exhaust manifold/riser set-up. 12JC Berkely pump.
Where can I expect to get the most bang for the buck? I've been told that my pump should be rebuilt/upgraded because I'm currrently turning about 5500rpm at just 65mph.
Any advice?
Is a pump rebuild something a relative novice could tackle on his own?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-31-2004, 06:55 PM
I would say pump BUT I would never run my olds over 5000 r's. I dont know how you get away with it. I run my olds at about 4700-4800 max. I would be affraid to see how long she lasted at 5500 r's.
back to the question, I would say pump and headers made the best improvement on my olds.

shaun
04-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Is a pump rebuild something a relative novice could tackle on his own?
I can awnser a peice of this question as i'm in the middle of my pump rebuild right now. Be prepared to spend $200 bucks in tools to do the job (maybe more once i get into it more, i hope not). You will need a deep socket to pull the impeller nut and a impeller puller.
At the moment i have neither. I'm going to buy the socket from rex and the puller i might be fabricating.

455Olds
08-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Just a follow-up for anyone who cares... a lot of olds guys may like to hear.
Was running aluminum log (square) exhaust manifolds and a stocker 12JC. Recently swapped out the exhaust for OT Bassetts and the 12JC for a dominator pump (stage II blueprint) and a JG bowl with droop snoot.
Went from a painful (in an olds only) 5300 rpm to a less scary (in terms of not blowing up) 4800 rpm. I figure it was from tightening up the pump and reducing blow by. My speed (speedo no gps) went from 60-65 to a more respectable 70-75. Swapped both the same night, so it could've been one over the other, but regardless, the pump and headers were a big boost.

77charger
08-21-2004, 04:51 PM
been thru it all and on budget best bang for buck in my case was pump work then a NOS unit.easiest 10mph ever