PDA

View Full Version : Cutting V-drive plates?

P-Money
03-31-2004, 03:12 PM
For those guys who cut v-drive plates, what do you use to make the cutouts for the gears? It seems a 6 1/2" hole saw would be the ticket. but 6" is the biggest I can find. Keep in mind that I don't have a machine shop in my garage. Any suggestions? Thanks

superdave013
03-31-2004, 03:19 PM
I just buy a blank one that is already CNC cut and drilled.
V Drive Tom and Looking for Liquid both have them. Sure Rex does too.
They are made out of tooling plate and not just a sheet of 6061. From what I'm told they are much flatter then a regular sheet.
All you have to do is shape the outside to fit your boat.

Lookin for Liquid
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
We have them cut on a CNC program when we have new ones made. I know that does not help your situation in the garage, but we used to cut them with a good carbide tip router. You would have to make a pattern on particle board and allow for the cutter to base edge distance and clamp it to the plate and cut away. Use a lot of WD-40 and it cuts fairly quick.
If you want any more advice, PM me and I will guide you thru it

J540
03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
p, I have one for a flatbottom, its anodize purple. well kind of:D

P-Money
03-31-2004, 04:27 PM
p, I have one for a flatbottom, its anodize purple. well kind of
I got those cases from Brad, but the plate was ****ed. I was going to use it for a template and cut myself a new one. If cutting this new one doesn't pan out, I may be giving you a call.
Any word on the blower belt?

21rayson
03-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Lookin for Liquid
We have them cut on a CNC program when we have new ones made. I know that does not help your situation in the garage, but we used to cut them with a good carbide tip router. You would have to make a pattern on particle board and allow for the cutter to base edge distance and clamp it to the plate and cut away. Use a lot of WD-40 and it cuts fairly quick.
If you want any more advice, PM me and I will guide you thru it i got mine from him and they are sweet.

Lookin for Liquid
03-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 21rayson
i got mine from him and they are sweet.
Thanks, and I am glad you are quite pleased with the craftsmanship we try very hard to provide to everyone.
Dan
Canyon Marine

BLOWNDEAVER
03-31-2004, 08:09 PM
J540 How wide is the one you have? liquid what do you get on a new plate ?????//

wsuwrhr
03-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
They are made out of tooling plate and not just a sheet of 6061. From what I'm told they are much flatter then a regular sheet.
Tooling plate is ground parallel, and held to a tighter tolerance.
Plate, and bar is neither.
Brian

schiada96
03-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Tooling plate is ground parallel, and held to a tighter tolerance.
Plate, and bar is neither.
Brian
Or its cast

03-31-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by P-Money
For those guys who cut v-drive plates, what do you use to make the cutouts for the gears? It seems a 6 1/2" hole saw would be the ticket. but 6" is the biggest I can find. Keep in mind that I don't have a machine shop in my garage. Any suggestions? Thanks I use an adjustable flycutter that can go out to 7+ inches to cut the plate.

wsuwrhr
04-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by schiada96
Or its cast
Extrusion.
Brian

DaveA
04-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I just learn't something I didn't know.
Tooling plate, huh? Ground parallel? Hmmm.
It's cool hanging around with the Real Machinists...now I'll have to go out and fire up my lil ole 1962 Delta Rockwell 10incher and make some metal curl like the big dogs.:D

schiada96
04-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by wsuwrhr
Extrusion.
Brian
Reyerson stock list page 325 cast alum tool ang jig plate
" a highly stable plate ground, cast, aged and stress relieved"
the problem with this stuff is it wont annodize well.
Jorgenson has a rolled aluminum tooling plate thats machined we use it a lot for punch press tooling
Jeff

Lookin for Liquid
04-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by schiada96
Reyerson stock list page 325 cast alum tool ang jig plate
" a highly stable plate ground, cast, aged and stress relieved"
the problem with this stuff is it wont annodize well.
Jorgenson has a rolled aluminum tooling plate thats machined we use it a lot for punch press tooling
Jeff Tooling plate that is 6061 T-6 anodizes very well. The 7075 does not anodize well and is also unweldable.

schiada96
04-02-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Lookin for Liquid
Tooling plate that is 6061 T-6 anodizes very well. The 7075 does not anodize well and is also unweldable.
That's right I just wanted to caution everyone that some alum tooling plate dosen't ano up very pretty!