PDA

View Full Version : chinese fighting fish

hoolign
04-03-2004, 07:22 AM
o.k we have this fish,he's a chinese fighting fish,then we just bought a couple of convicts with their own aquarium,I just wanted to huck em all in the same tank,the woman says it isnt a good idea,cause Nemo(the chinese) will want to scrap,but the convicts are twice his size,I figure nemo will see that their bigger and leave em alone.
anyone know fish? what can you put in with nemo?
what can you put in with the convicts?:

JetBoatRich
04-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Put them in there and let us know:rolleyes:

hoolign
04-03-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Put them in there and let us know:rolleyes:
that's ahh...kinda what i'm trying to avoid:D

Flip
04-03-2004, 07:51 AM
Put a little mirror right next to Nemo's bowl. You'll figure out the answer then! He'll drop his gills down and get ready to fight. Its cool...

hoolign
04-03-2004, 07:57 AM
That's funny, he thinks he's pretty tough:D
oh and welcome to the forums!

ahhell
04-03-2004, 07:57 AM
ive had them in tanks with larger fish before and had no trouble, but keep a net handy anyway. dont get an oscar if you want more than one type of fish in the tank...they get hungry and they eat...anything:D

Mandelon
04-03-2004, 11:32 AM
We used to buy the fighting fish and make bets on which would win. Like a poorman's cockfight.......drunk college kids....
Funnier than shit though, they really go at it. Bit of fins floating in the water after a while. Fishdome=two fish enter, one fish leaves...:D :D
They don't steer so good with the fins ripped off. :rolleyes:

hoolign
04-03-2004, 11:37 AM
That's why I posted this thread, cause if I was to put Nemo in with the convicts, and he got the shit kicked out of him,I would'nt be steering so good:D lets just say the compass would be pointing south

Mandelon
04-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Until he points his belly up and out of the water.
Hoolign, water is cheap, just get some more. :D

Kim Hanson
04-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Throw in a couple Pirahna or Oscars, he will be gone Nemo:D ........( . )( . ).........;)

HammerDown
04-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Convicts are one of many African Cichlids...they are somewhat an aggresive fish, your Betta will end up dead if the Convicts go after it so make sure your Betta has a safe place to hide near the waters surface, thick plants etc. Bettas are best in their own tank...and actually only require enough water to cover thier bodies.
Good fish for Convicts are along the lines of the FireMouth, Dempseys, smaller Oscars etc. Or larger Black Tetras for a mix...try to pick fish of the same size if of the aggressive type. Some larger Angle fish (also Aferican cichlids) will work with Convicts. Different breeds require different water PH etc levels. To an extent! Also keep in mind the size of the tank, the size of the fish and their nature...mean tempered fish made to live in a too small of a tank ='s disaster.
Never put Bettas in the same tank with any type of Barbs...such as TigerBarbs etc...they will go after the fins of the Betta until there riped off and or kill the fish.
In my childhood/youth I was heavily into the Aquarium Hobby(big time)...Biggest tank was 150 Gal Salt Water with several 50 gal freshwater.
Cichlids are a great hardy breed but (sometimes) certain breeds are aggressive to smaller fish or evel larger ones in the tank, they bread easly and are awsome parents to their Fry(neet to watch)!
The Jewel fish is just down right nasty and should only be kept with larger Oscars, Dempseys etc.
The KeyHole Cichlid is a great timid easy going fish to keep. if larger it will do very well with the Convicts.
A great hobby for sure...think I'll go buy another 150 gal and start over again!
:wink:

ahhell
04-03-2004, 01:53 PM
get rid of the fish and get a Bearded Dragon. I got tired of the semi-annual drain and clean. with the lizard you buy him(or her) a few crickets each week and supplement the diet with bearded dragon food. they crap once or twice a week and you dont have to worry about water quality.....just not as nice to sit and look at in the evenig with the lights on...unless you like to watch insects being eaten:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HammerDown
04-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ahhell
get rid of the fish and get a Bearded Dragon.just not as nice to sit and look at in the evenig with the lights on.
But isn't that what the Hobby's about?

hoolign
04-03-2004, 03:11 PM
I.m pretty new to this fish thing, so I appreciate the input,it's just a 35 galon tank, and if these fish live over a few months I'll be impressed with myself,it seems like a cool hobby I,ll have more questions I'm sure!I just got the water in the tank and put the weeds in,the bloody cat sure has cutiosity peeked:D
I've had reptiles,iguana's, had a 12 foot red tipped boa( that went over like a lead brick with few people:D) had tarntulas,bastards kept breakin out and finding some interesting hiding spots( in my friends shoe once) The snake was the biggest pain in the ass to look after!

Bigyellowcat
04-03-2004, 04:18 PM
I think i fall into the category of having a fish tank.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1334mandy_tank-med.jpg

Bigyellowcat
04-03-2004, 04:20 PM
My newest fish. the elusive pink snapper fish. just have to feed it lots of trouser trout.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1334mermaid_085-med.jpg

gigamurph
04-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Bigyellowcat
My newest fish. the elusive pink snapper fish. just have to feed it lots of trouser trout.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/1334mermaid_085-med.jpg LMMFAO! I wish I could be there to see the looks on the faces at the pet stores when everyone goes in lookin' for a "pink snapper fish"!:eek: :p

Boozer
04-04-2004, 01:09 PM
The only fish I had good luck mixing with betas were Tetras. The tetras minded there own business and didnt mess with the beta at all.
I grew fond of cichlids and pirhannas. The pirhannas were awesome to watch eat. Only problem i had is if i didnt feed them in time id come home to a tank that was down a couple pirhannas. Theyd get hungry and go canibal.
My next exotic pet is going to be a Kayman crocodile. They sell them at the local pet stores here and they are fun to watch eat mice plus they are just bad ass looking to begin with. The store here even has harnesses for them so you can take your croc on walks. I wonder what pets mart will say when i come in walking my crocodile.

hoolign
04-04-2004, 02:46 PM
Just got back from petland,,and the bimbo that helped us said oh sure you can put this in and that in,oh and some of those...but it will be an experiment,at 50 bucks a fish lady I don't want to experiment, the convicts are a breeding pair,and unless you can guarentee me that fish is into orgies I aint wastin my cash:mad:
I need a bigger tank!