PDA

View Full Version : Sea Strainers

boaterbob
02-27-2002, 10:40 AM
How many have sea strainers on your boats? Do you strongly recommend them?
I'm building a boat with a low water pickup bravo and assume that the answer is to definitely put a sea strainer on it. Just looking for a sanity check I think...Are there any drawbacks to having them?

Sunsation Kirk
02-28-2002, 08:02 AM
Hey boaterbob I would definately put a sea srainer on. I had a step hull pad bottom boat with a Bravo One performance drive ( low water pickup) A sea strainer is a must, on this hull is sucked up everything even clogging the oil cooler, It was a pain, I even considered swapping the drive for a standard Bravo One.
What are you building for a boat?
Kirk

Indy
02-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Hi BoaterBob, quite a few of my friends have strainers on their boats. They are good for picking up most junk, but not good for sand or mud. I've considered it and will probably get around to installing one eventually, but most of the time I suck up sand, I have the low water pick up also. I like the low water pickup because I spend a fair amount of time airborne (salt water boater) and I think it helps out with the circulation. There are times when the hull leaves the water but the drive is still in and the water circulation is not interupted. I understand that when you completely leave the water, the engine pulls the water from the strainer and there is not interruption in the circulation. Steve

Too Old
02-28-2002, 08:56 AM
I had a sea strainer and offshore style water pickup on my 28 Pantera. I liked it and saw no drawback. I worried less about sucking up sand and you could clean the basket if need be.
I'm not aware of any drawbacks but would like to hear others opinions.

caincando1
02-28-2002, 10:31 AM
Here in MN nobody has sea stainers. But I've been very curious about them for sand. We beach alot and everyone sucks up sand. But do they or don't they help with sand? I've never heard a good answer either way.
Brian

boaterbob
02-28-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the inputs....MY understanding is that they won't do much for the sand, since the particles are small enough to get through the mesh in the strainer. I assume that some rocks and pebbles can get filtered out and also that the strainer can provide a water supply if the drive gets into the air....It seems a good thing to do all around, even if only for peace of mind....Just wanted to see if there was some downside that I hadn't thought of, besides the co$t..

Too Old
02-28-2002, 12:11 PM
The strainer itself won't help with sand, but that offshore pick up sure should be pulling in your water from a lot higher up than the foot of your lower unit when idling around those docks, no wake zones and shallow areas. [at least I think so]